Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #61
daltonbuck
Frequent Poster

just watched this one... WEIRD
daltonbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #62
ernmerica
Frequent Poster

I think there is a probability that the drifter is Michael Wayne Mcgray
ernmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #63
zack007attack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmerica
I think there is a probability that the drifter is Michael Wayne Mcgray
I think that theory makes the most sense. From his pictures, he appears to fit the drifter's age and description. Based on what the Frocklages and Olsons described about him, I would say the man who killed Phillip either killed before or inflicted serious harm on others before, as evidenced by his seemingly calm demeanor when he was picked up by the Olsons.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #64
ILikeTurtles
Frequent Poster

The similarities between this case and Michael Wayne McGray is almost frighteningly believable.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #65
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
I think that theory makes the most sense. From his pictures, he appears to fit the drifter's age and description. Based on what the Frocklages and Olsons described about him, I would say the man who killed Phillip either killed before or inflicted serious harm on others before, as evidenced by his seemingly calm demeanor when he was picked up by the Olsons.
i agree with you here and he does look like the composit and i agree i think he has killed before, he seemed WAY too calm.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #66
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

CD who is your avatar? I know who but I can't place the name
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #67
daltonbuck
Frequent Poster

Default i agree

If u look up this guy yall are blaming, it says hes confessed to 16 murders but only convicted of 4 or 5. Hmmm....
daltonbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #68
economistman192
Frequent Poster

One of the things I learned from this episode and that applies in a few others is how important it is to trust first impressions/intuitive information about a person. There are so many episodes where the parents say something like, "I had a feeling" or "I didn't trust him"....or "She knew he was going to kill her one day..."

The mother and daughter that ran the restaurant where the killer came in with his backpack, knew something was wrong with him immediately, enough so that the older woman refused to leave the younger woman alone, fearing they had trouble on their hands. If it was that clear to both of them this guy was trouble, it was probably clear to Philip also.

If we can believe the reenactment, he even put the guy off, saying he couldn't help him. Then he made a fatal mistake, which the woman behind the counter caught and commented on, he didn't listen to his intuition but probably started thinking, "This guy is probably fine, he is stranded and I am going the way he is, it's a shame to leave him out here..." ignoring the part of him that didn't want to give the guy a ride in the first place. Again, if we can believe the reenactment is based on fact, he didn't even let the guy in the front seat to ride together, but had him get in the back. Probably not the best thing to do for someone who can pull out a knife or gun from behind. When Phillip realized he had a problem on his hands it was too late. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to look in the rear-view mirror and see that face making eye contact. I think the fact that he was studying to be a doctor made it worse in some ways because he is in a profession to help people, and he probably gave the man the benefit of the doubt. I wish he had walked into that restaurant and that maybe one of the women could have warned him with her eyes or shook her head in the killer's direction. He might be alive today.
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #69
zack007attack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by economistman192
One of the things I learned from this episode and that applies in a few others is how important it is to trust first impressions/intuitive information about a person. There are so many episodes where the parents say something like, "I had a feeling" or "I didn't trust him"....or "She knew he was going to kill her one day..."

The mother and daughter that ran the restaurant where the killer came in with his backpack, knew something was wrong with him immediately, enough so that the older woman refused to leave the younger woman alone, fearing they had trouble on their hands. If it was that clear to both of them this guy was trouble, it was probably clear to Philip also.

If we can believe the reenactment, he even put the guy off, saying he couldn't help him. Then he made a fatal mistake, which the woman behind the counter caught and commented on, he didn't listen to his intuition but probably started thinking, "This guy is probably fine, he is stranded and I am going the way he is, it's a shame to leave him out here..." ignoring the part of him that didn't want to give the guy a ride in the first place. Again, if we can believe the reenactment is based on fact, he didn't even let the guy in the front seat to ride together, but had him get in the back. Probably not the best thing to do for someone who can pull out a knife or gun from behind. When Phillip realized he had a problem on his hands it was too late. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to look in the rear-view mirror and see that face making eye contact. I think the fact that he was studying to be a doctor made it worse in some ways because he is in a profession to help people, and he probably gave the man the benefit of the doubt. I wish he had walked into that restaurant and that maybe one of the women could have warned him with her eyes or shook her head in the killer's direction. He might be alive today.
I always thought there could have been a number of ways he could have avoided the hitchhiker. I remember how he lost a couple days of travel to car trouble before he even reached the border checkpoint on the Alaska-Yukon border but came through with two handguns. I've heard that with a permit, Americans can transport firearms through Canada if they are traveling between Alaska and the Continental States; maybe Phillip was given the option to turn around and send the guns home but he declined since he was already behind schedule so he decided to hand them over and get back on track.

Personally, whenever I travel on long road trips by myself, I always make sure I stop in areas with multiple businesses/gas stations in the immediate vicinity for the purpose of avoiding such situations. I've also got into the habit of giving hitchhikers/hoodlums the cold shoulder treatment; one reason is because I see a lot of them with booze or cigarettes and I'm like; you can afford lung-blackening leaves, but not sandwiches? Hello, what do you think I am? You always have to be careful whenever you come across strangers in those kind of situations.

Phillip was probably searching for a map, music CD or other travel supply in his car and/or stopped to stretch his legs/use a restroom when he came across the killer. I think he was killed a few hours later when he stopped again for whatever reason and the killer strangled or slashed him dead. He might have gotten a bad feeling about his passenger some point along that lonely stretch of highway and maybe tried to get rid of him but was too late to save himself.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #70
economistman192
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
I always thought there could have been a number of ways he could have avoided the hitchhiker. I remember how he lost a couple days of travel to car trouble before he even reached the border checkpoint on the Alaska-Yukon border but came through with two handguns. I've heard that with a permit, Americans can transport firearms through Canada if they are traveling between Alaska and the Continental States; maybe Phillip was given the option to turn around and send the guns home but he declined since he was already behind schedule so he decided to hand them over and get back on track.

Personally, whenever I travel on long road trips by myself, I always make sure I stop in areas with multiple businesses/gas stations in the immediate vicinity for the purpose of avoiding such situations. I've also got into the habit of giving hitchhikers/hoodlums the cold shoulder treatment; one reason is because I see a lot of them with booze or cigarettes and I'm like; you can afford lung-blackening leaves, but not sandwiches? Hello, what do you think I am? You always have to be careful whenever you come across strangers in those kind of situations.

Phillip was probably searching for a map, music CD or other travel supply in his car and/or stopped to stretch his legs/use a restroom when he came across the killer. I think he was killed a few hours later when he stopped again for whatever reason and the killer strangled or slashed him dead. He might have gotten a bad feeling about his passenger some point along that lonely stretch of highway and maybe tried to get rid of him but was too late to save himself.
Zack, you make a lot of good points here. I am in a relationship with a European and we talk all the time about how much he hitchhiked as a teen, he traveled through Germany one summer hitchhiking the whole way. His brother, in this fifties, sometimes still hitches through England with his teen-age son. As an America, I'm horrified by these stories. I'm not necessarily proud of it, but I've never hitchhiked once in my entire life - I accepted a ride home from a stranger in a bar in my early twenties and I realized that was a mistake, nothing happened, but it was still more of a chance than I wanted to take - as the hitcher or the driver. I guess in America hitchhiking has a whole different reputation. And being a guy is one thing, but I've never understood women hitching alone, or even together. If I were a woman, I don't think I could get in a car with a man unless I was armed or had a knife.

I think that Philip probably figured he could handle himself. You are probably right, they had stopped and that's when the guy killed him. If I was threatened in a car, I think I would jump out and take my chances, leaving the car moving with them in the back seat, than to risk because taken to another location. Of course, it's easy to say what you would do in a situation like this. I just feel it was scary that the woman in the restaurant said, "He's going to regret that decision for the rest of his life."
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #71
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by economistman192

If we can believe the reenactment, he even put the guy off, saying he couldn't help him. Then he made a fatal mistake, which the woman behind the counter caught and commented on, he didn't listen to his intuition but probably started thinking, "This guy is probably fine, he is stranded and I am going the way he is, it's a shame to leave him out here..." ignoring the part of him that didn't want to give the guy a ride in the first place.
yeah and it bites as he died trying to help the guy out. the killer was clearly after stealing his money and identity. i dont think he's using Phil's id anymore (that would be dangerous), but i do think he's somewhere under another name.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #72
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

The fat bastard.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #73
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcarolina
yeah and it bites as he died trying to help the guy out. the killer was clearly after stealing his money and identity. i dont think he's using Phil's id anymore (that would be dangerous), but i do think he's somewhere under another name.
Hopefully whoever did this is in jail (or dead) for an unrelated crime.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #74
ernmerica
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884
The fat bastard.

You are not funny
ernmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #75
SomeofShane
Occasional Poster

I was always confused by the way they staged the reenactment of this. Ms. Frocklage, the diner owner, tells us that Philip pulled out as though he had second thoughts, and let the hitcher in. She then relates her daughter Tina's comment about Frazier regretting this, which implies that he did indeed "let" the hitcher in willingly. But the first time I viewed this segment, I got the strong indication from the reenactment that the hitcher basically forced his way into the moving car. Upon viewing this again the other day, I still feel that that is how it comes across on the screen. I thought maybe UM left it open ended because the details are not known for certain? However, reading through this thread, no one else has brought this up, so I guess I have to accept that my eyes are misleading me!

Last edited by SomeofShane; 08-05-2012 at 02:04 PM.
SomeofShane is offline   Reply With Quote