Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #31
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc1222
yeah,really,and leave the parent alive. ::rolling eyes:: not to mention,all of the other evidence.UM made it seem like there could only be one timeline..truth is,she had time to plant the sock.and that's prolly where the other knife went,too.oh,and anytime the weapon comes from the home? it's someone who lives there.that's basic crime knowledge.
Maybe the attacker thought he injured her enough that she would succumb to her injuries? I can't say for sure. If she planted the sock, then where did the second weapon go?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #32
WishfulDreamer

But if she really followed the attacker into the kitchen (as she claims) then he would have seen that she was running after him and not laying down mortally wounded like the boys.
WishfulDreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
DALLASTEXAN!!

I think a lot of people, especially the cops, automatically look at darlie first because she lived through the attack and at first glance she had only superficial wounds. when you first look at it, it looks too good to be true. so in a sense she is the only possible suspect so they go after her with complete confidence that she is guilty no matter what the evidence says. the problem is there are so many questions after you investigate. there is so much circumstancial evidence and then combine the trial and investigative errors you have people who can legitmately question whether or not darlie did this.

In a sense this kind of reminds me a little of the charles holden/dorothy donovan case. when you first look at the case there's no way in hell that you would think that it happened the way he said. I thought on the forensic files episode they did a better job of UM in showing that the cops actually believe close to 100% that charles holden killed dorothy and were trying like hell to gain a confession out of him.... for attackers or intruders sometimes there is simply no explainable motive other than to asault people for there own personal gain and the motive can only be found within their own twisted thoughts. even psychologists that devote countless years of studies can't wrap their finger around these people's thoughts.

I'm stuck in the middle on this one because i feel like the court never proved her guilt. the sock is a good question??? what the hell is the deal with the sock? I've never heard about that.

Last edited by DALLASTEXAN!!; 03-10-2012 at 04:18 PM.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
yeah,really,and leave the parent alive. ::rolling eyes:: not to mention,all of the other evidence.UM made it seem like there could only be one timeline..truth is,she had time to plant the sock.and that's prolly where the other knife went,too.oh,and anytime the weapon comes from the home? it's someone who lives there.that's basic crime knowledge.
Most attacks on children by parents are form cases in which they lose complete control in the heat of the moment. For this case that is not possible.

If the following is the case I'm glad she's in jail and I don't feel sorry for her in the slightest:

It is very possible that darlie is an extreme sociopath and premeditated the murders. she may have planted the sock ahead of time and cut the screen from inside the house like they claim. she may have staged the whole scenario to be away from darren so that he did not hear the attack. she also just as easily may have stabbed herself close to her artery not knowing it because most of us are not experts on anatomy. again these are all aspects that the court has to prove, but in my opinion they themselves centered there case around other areas like the tape(copout for supporters or not) which was wrong of them. it allows for darlie defenders to argue on her behalf. So I am still unsure about this and likely always will be.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #35
1990 UM fan

They kept saying she attacked her kids in a postpartum depression rage. Was she ever even diagnosed as having postpartum depression?
1990 UM fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #36
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
They kept saying she attacked her kids in a postpartum depression rage. Was she ever even diagnosed as having postpartum depression?
no,not that I know of.I think it's possible she had some form of depression though.And possibly she would have faired better off if she'd admitted her guilt and claimed such.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #37
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASTEXAN!!
Most attacks on children by parents are form cases in which they lose complete control in the heat of the moment. For this case that is not possible.
why not? she and darrin both admitted they had fought that evening.and IMO,it's obvious darrin knows more than he is telling,from the UM segment..per his denial of money problems,etc...he's hiding something.(although I think darlie was the killer,not him).but he knows more than he is saying.they DID have money problems,that is documented.

Quote:
It is very possible that darlie is an extreme sociopath and premeditated the murders. she may have planted the sock ahead of time and cut the screen from inside the house like they claim. she may have staged the whole scenario to be away from darren so that he did not hear the attack. she also just as easily may have stabbed herself close to her artery not knowing it because most of us are not experts on anatomy. again these are all aspects that the court has to prove, but in my opinion they themselves centered there case around other areas like the tape(copout for supporters or not) which was wrong of them. it allows for darlie defenders to argue on her behalf. So I am still unsure about this and likely always will be.
i don't think she planted the sock.I think she was trying to rid of it,along with the weapon,at the same time.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #38
Icedberry
Occasional Poster

One thing that I always found intriguing about this case was this mysterious intruder. Supporters of Darlie have given explanations that he tried to rob the family, but Darlie’s jewelry, wallet, and a cheque on the kitchen counter were untouched. Nothing was missing from the home, so robbery was quickly ruled out as a motive.

Next, a second theory was proposed that the intruder intended to rape Darlie. The problem is that killing the boys served no purpose. If anything, keeping them alive would have been good leverage to make Darlie cooperate, if a sexual assault was the main intent. However, the intended targets were definitely Devon and Damon, who were stabbed in such a manner as to make sure that they would be dead.

It has never been established how the intruder got in or out of the house, either. The dust from the garage window was not disturbed, which means he never exited out that garage window. Moreover, it is also very puzzling as to why he took a bread knife, cut the screen from the outside, and put the knife back into its butcher’s block in the kitchen. Remember that he also did this without turning on the lights, either.

The final puzzle is why the intruder wiped away one of the children’s bloody hand print off the sofa. That was detected under luminal testing. Why would he bother cleaning up the crime scene? Lastly, how did he manage to drop Darin’s tube sock several houses away without leaving any of his skin cell DNA traces while leaving Darlie’s DNA inside the sock intact?

The story of the mysterious intruder proves weak. Logically, if the intruder story is suspect, then the remaining killers become either Darlie or Darin. Most of the evidence points to Darlie, but it is quite possible that Darin helped cover up the crime after the fact.
Icedberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #39
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
why not? she and darrin both admitted they had fought that evening.and IMO,it's obvious darrin knows more than he is telling,from the UM segment..per his denial of money problems,etc...he's hiding something.(although I think darlie was the killer,not him).but he knows more than he is saying.they DID have money problems,that is documented.

i don't think she planted the sock.I think she was trying to rid of it,along with the weapon,at the same time.
good point, i guess I used a poor choice of words. I've always got the impression based on the circumstances of the incident that I've watched on TV might I add, that she either premeditated the attacks and carried them out in a matter that made it look like an intruder did it. Or she was truly attacked by an intruder(not darren).

The loss of control doesn't make sense unless she was still up with her boys and they drove her to the point of complete loss of control at 2AM? or whatever it was? and then she had not much time to think on her feet and react by planting a sock, tearing a screen, stabbing herself, etc. I think that she either thought ahead or she was attacked, but I guess it is possible that she did everything in the moment because she paniced or freaked out and lost complete control.

yeah the darren aspect is weird, but the fact that they have both supported each other throughout the years leaves me to believe that darren really had no involvment in this and slept through the ordeal which is not impossible if darlie did it or if she was attacked while she was asleep.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Anyone else think it's entirely possible that Darlie (while her two young sons were sleeping) went out and staged the crime scene? I think she most likely slashed the screen and ditched the sock before she actually killed her boys. There really was no blood found anywhere outside of the Routier home, which is why I think she went around planting things before the actual murders were committed.

And both boys were actually held down to the floor and stabbed repeatedly. Had an "intruder" broke in the house to rape/sexually assault Darlie, why would he feel the need to then murder two young boys, each of whom weighed about 40 lbs? And why would an "intruder" take the time to clean up the mess he created in the sink, not to mention how would there have even been any mess in the sink (since Darlie and her children were attacked in the living room)? And why would the "intruder" place the murder weapon back in the butcher block that it came from? And how did the "intruder" exit the house? There was a slit in the screen, but beyond that the screen was not pushed in or out (which would have happened if someone had passed through it). And just how did Darlie manage to ger her son's blood on the back of her nightgown if she was allegedly knocked unconscious by this "intruder" (lying on her back on the couch while the "intruder" straddled her)? After he knocked her unconscious, did he turn her over on her back while he then murdered her two children? That would be the only logical way that blood from her sons could have gotten onto the back of her nightgown if Darlie was truely innocent. Darlie also conveniently described her attacker as wearing all black and a baseball cap. I find it amazing that in the midst of 2 murders and one attempted murder, there was NOTHING left behind by this "intruder". His cap being knocked from his head could have resulted in some hairs or DNA being found. Since Darlie was allegedly fighting for her life and her son's lives, you would think the odds would have been fairly high for this "intruder" to have left something behind that proved his existence. But yet there was nothing.

It's fairly obvious to me that Darlie is responsible and right where she belongs. She placed the butcher knife back in her butcher block thinking that she could convince police that the "intruder" brought his own weapon and took it with him after the attacks. I also think she never anticipated anyone focusing on the sink area (which is where I think she cleaned up the weapon and possibly herself after killing her children). I also think it's awful convenient that at first she gave a vague description of this "intruder" yet later recanted saying she was suffering from "traumatic amnesia". I think the real reason why Darlie still manages to get support is because nobody wants to believe a mother could do that to her children. But after going over the case and reading the actual undisputed facts, I don't see how anyone else could have committed these crimes other than Darlie Routier.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #41
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Anyone else think it's entirely possible that Darlie (while her two young sons were sleeping) went out and staged the crime scene? I think she most likely slashed the screen and ditched the sock before she actually killed her boys. There really was no blood found anywhere outside of the Routier home, which is why I think she went around planting things before the actual murders were committed.

And both boys were actually held down to the floor and stabbed repeatedly. Had an "intruder" broke in the house to rape/sexually assault Darlie, why would he feel the need to then murder two young boys, each of whom weighed about 40 lbs? And why would an "intruder" take the time to clean up the mess he created in the sink, not to mention how would there have even been any mess in the sink (since Darlie and her children were attacked in the living room)? And why would the "intruder" place the murder weapon back in the butcher block that it came from? And how did the "intruder" exit the house? There was a slit in the screen, but beyond that the screen was not pushed in or out (which would have happened if someone had passed through it). And just how did Darlie manage to ger her son's blood on the back of her nightgown if she was allegedly knocked unconscious by this "intruder" (lying on her back on the couch while the "intruder" straddled her)? After he knocked her unconscious, did he turn her over on her back while he then murdered her two children? That would be the only logical way that blood from her sons could have gotten onto the back of her nightgown if Darlie was truely innocent. Darlie also conveniently described her attacker as wearing all black and a baseball cap. I find it amazing that in the midst of 2 murders and one attempted murder, there was NOTHING left behind by this "intruder". His cap being knocked from his head could have resulted in some hairs or DNA being found. Since Darlie was allegedly fighting for her life and her son's lives, you would think the odds would have been fairly high for this "intruder" to have left something behind that proved his existence. But yet there was nothing.

It's fairly obvious to me that Darlie is responsible and right where she belongs. She placed the butcher knife back in her butcher block thinking that she could convince police that the "intruder" brought his own weapon and took it with him after the attacks. I also think she never anticipated anyone focusing on the sink area (which is where I think she cleaned up the weapon and possibly herself after killing her children). I also think it's awful convenient that at first she gave a vague description of this "intruder" yet later recanted saying she was suffering from "traumatic amnesia". I think the real reason why Darlie still manages to get support is because nobody wants to believe a mother could do that to her children. But after going over the case and reading the actual undisputed facts, I don't see how anyone else could have committed these crimes other than Darlie Routier.
If she planted the sock beforehand, then why are her boy's blood on the sock? They said something to an extent that a possible intruder could've crouched down to get out of the slashed window screen without disturbing dust and mulch, but that seems bizarre too. I would also like to know if the rapist that was breaking into people's homes and assaulting them around the time of the Routier attacks attacked adult females or children. Maybe that could provide an answer to my theory about an intruder assaulting Darlie and/or her boys. I am not an advocate for Darlie. The last thing I ever want to do is side with a killer/possible killer, but something about this case nags at me and I know something isn't right about it other than the fact 2 innocent boys were murdered.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
scc1222
Forum Regular

will post more later, but...darlie wasn't raped..everything about that came up negative.no dna,no bruising "down there",nothing.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #43
Icedberry
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I would also like to know if the rapist that was breaking into people's homes and assaulting them around the time of the Routier attacks attacked adult females or children.
Yes, there was a rapist operating around the time of the Routier murders. His name is Sammie Luckas Cook, Jr., and he was convicted of five rapes in Dallas. The defense mentioned him in their Writ of Habeus Corpus as a potential suspect that was never investigated by the police. During the assaults, Cook attempted to conceal his fingerprints by wearing a tube sock around his hand; sometimes he would use the sock as a gag. The defense believed there might be a connection to the tube sock found on the sidewalk, several houses down. However, Cook’s modus operandi was significantly different from what occurred at the Routier crime scene.

Cook began his crime spree in December 1995. He raped only in the city of Dallas, miles away from the Routier home. He targeted only apartment complexes, not detached homes. Cook would break into an apartment, and obtain any objects that could be used as a potential weapon (i.e., knife, scissors, fork). He would always rob his victims and sexually assault them. In one case, he held a fork to a child to subdue the female adult victim into acquiescing to his demands. He never stabbed the child though or any of his other victims, and he was always loud during the attacks to appear threatening. Sometimes Cook wore a condom, but there were times he did not, and his DNA was eventually able to connect him to the rapes. Last, Cook is African-American, while Darlie claimed the intruder was a Caucasian male (later she claimed not to remember what he looked like at all). By the time Darlie was on trial, Cook had already been caught and arrested.

Last edited by Icedberry; 05-25-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Icedberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #44
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedberry
Yes, there was a rapist operating around the time of the Routier murders. His name is Sammie Luckas Cook, Jr., and he was convicted of five rapes in Dallas. The defense mentioned him in their Writ of Habeus Corpus as a potential suspect that was never investigated by the police. During the assaults, Cook attempted to conceal his fingerprints by wearing a tube sock around his hand; sometimes he would use the sock as a gag. The defense believed there might be a connection to the tube sock found on the sidewalk, several houses down. However, Cook’s modus operandi was significantly different from what occurred at the Routier crime scene.

Cook began his crime spree in December of 1995. He raped only in the city of Dallas, miles away from the Routier home. He targeted only apartment complexes, not detached homes. Cook would break into an apartment, and obtain any objects that could be used as a potential weapon (i.e., knife, scissors, fork). He would always rob his victims and sexual assault them. In one case, he held a fork to a child in order to subdue the female adult victim into acquiescing to his demands. He never stabbed the child though, or any of his other victims, and he was always loud during the attacks to appear threatening. Sometimes Cook wore a condom, but there were times that he did not, and his DNA was eventually able to connect him to the rapes. Lastly, Cook is African-American, while Darlie claimed that the intruder was a Caucasian male (later she claimed not to remember what he looked like at all). By the time Darlie was on trial, Cook had already been caught and arrested.
Thanks for all that info, I had no clue what his name was and what his MO was
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #45
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
If she planted the sock beforehand, then why are her boy's blood on the sock?
IIRC, investigators were stunned that there was no blood found outside the Routier residence. Had there been an intruder, there surely would have been blood found outside around the Routier residence. There was a trail of blood leading to the slit window and it abruptly ended and there was no trace found anywhere outside of the residence. That's a pretty hard pill to swallow if you believe an intruder was involved.

Quote:
They said something to an extent that a possible intruder could've crouched down to get out of the slashed window screen without disturbing dust and mulch, but that seems bizarre too.
Yes I agree, it's very bizarre. After just brutally murdering two young children and then being chased away by the woman you just viciously attacked (according to Darlie she chased the "intruder" from the residence) why would this "intruder" take great pains and an extreme amount of patience to fit through a window without disturbing the screen and/or dust on the sill? Would he really be that carfeul after fleeing the crime scene being chased by a woman with his weapon?

Quote:
I would also like to know if the rapist that was breaking into people's homes and assaulting them around the time of the Routier attacks attacked adult females or children. Maybe that could provide an answer to my theory about an intruder assaulting Darlie and/or her boys. I am not an advocate for Darlie. The last thing I ever want to do is side with a killer/possible killer, but something about this case nags at me and I know something isn't right about it other than the fact 2 innocent boys were murdered.
I simply think Darlie used the story about rapes in the area as a way to coverup the crimes and attempt to pin them on someone else. The closest thing they could find (which matched some of Darlie's account of the "intruder") was this Sammie Cook, Jr. But we all know Darlie said she was attacked by a white man (Cook was black), and Cook was known to attack apartments, not houses. And Cook never killed or stabbed any of his other known victims, and I don't think Cook ever struck a house where there was an adult male present. I think Darlie attempted to create a story which fit some of the MOs of the Dallas area rapist at the time to make it seem like she and her boys were the victims of a sick serial rapist/killer. I also don't think it was known at the time (during the Routier) that Cook was the one responsible for the rapes in the Dallas area. Which may have been why Darlie described her attacker as white.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote