Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #46
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Maybe she was pregnant with the assistant track coach's child and the Murrays thought the scandal would be too much to handle?!?

I have no idea. But I agree with Dynoguy. It's baffling. The whole thing. NOTHING, at least from what I've seen, was that serious that warranted running away and starting a new life.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #47
wiseguy182

Maura had done searches on her computer the day before her disappearance relating to pregnancy, specifically the effects of excessive drinking on an unborn fetus.

I *really* wish the media would stop taking such a one-sided view to this case.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #48
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Maybe she was pregnant with the assistant track coach's child and the Murrays thought the scandal would be too much to handle?!?

I have no idea. But I agree with Dynoguy. It's baffling. The whole thing. NOTHING, at least from what I've seen, was that serious that warranted running away and starting a new life.
The timeline would make it impossible. The secret romance with the track coach took place the spring and part of the summer before she went missing, a period between 7-10 months in advance. They had one visit together early in the summer and then she cut off all contact with him for months. She didn't reply to any of his emails, texts and messages. Two months later, Fall classes began and he was finally able to track her down. She told him she had gotten back together with her boyfriend, Billy. She had already quit the track team by then and by all accounts, the relationship was over. Then five months later, she disappeared.

Granted, she could have gotten pregnant by someone else but I think that's grasping at straws. There would be other easier ways of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy in secret without having to go to the extreme of disappearing forever. And the Murray family was not a massive political group of people. The only "scandal" that could do any damage would be to Fred's ego.

Like you said, nothing that's known by law enforcement is serious enough to justify disappearing forever. Yet, certain members of the family and Maura's two friends from UMass remain committed to covering this up. That can only mean that they know of some massive serious crime that involves Maura, not known to the public that they are hellbent on keeping secret. It's the only explanation that makes sense, IMO.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #49
Caffeine
Frequent Poster

Nodsmiley

As much as I like reading Renner's blog, I couldn't disagree with him more about what happened to Maura. It's ironic, as much as he laments about Fred having some secret agenda, Renner keeps the focus on Maura being alive and well and tries to discredit any other possible outcomes. I suppose if we carry on with the notion she is alive it stays on our minds and helps sell his book.

Whether she was pregnant, a sociopath, a criminal mastermind...the chances of her being alive at this point are virtually nil, IMO.
Caffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #50
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
As much as I like reading Renner's blog, I couldn't disagree with him more about what happened to Maura. It's ironic, as much as he laments about Fred having some secret agenda, Renner keeps the focus on Maura being alive and well and tries to discredit any other possible outcomes. I suppose if we carry on with the notion she is alive it stays on our minds and helps sell his book.

Whether she was pregnant, a sociopath, a criminal mastermind...the chances of her being alive at this point are virtually nil, IMO.
Kind of like how Fred tries to discount anything that proves Maura wasn't the goody-two-shoes the media portrays her as?

I'm not gonna calculate odds here. Let's just say the odds of her still being alive are greater than 0%. Heck, even if we knew for a fact she ran into a perp, there would still be a chance she could be alive.

I've personally communicated with Renner and he's a very nice guy and has done tremendous work on this and other cases. He keeps cases in the spotlight that otherwise would go dead cold. I definitely don't think he's purposefully barking up the wrong tree to sell books.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:52 AM   #51
wiseguy182

I also wanted to state that Maura was a habitual thief. Yes, a person can technically state that she "only stole $79.02" from the credit card, or whatever the amount was. That isn't the real issue. The issue is that not only did she steal the credit card number, but she used it on many occasions. This is in addition to what she stole when she was as West Point. This wasn't a one-time mistake for her, it was a compulsion. She cared not at all about all the fear and inconvenience she put the credit card holder through.

And I also find her outright lie to her professor that she had a "death in the family" to be rather tacky, at the very least. No doubt she knew her legal issues were mounting and the whole "death in the family" was an attempt to evoke sympathy out of people in the event that UMass was in the process of kicking her out like West Point.

Maura is probably living the high life somewhere. She needs to come out of hiding and her friends and family need to stop this ridiculous charade they've been carrying on for over a decade now.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #52
Caffeine
Frequent Poster

The only recorded acts of theft that have ever seen the light of day is the single $70-something fraudulent credit card charge and talk that she stole cosmetics of some kind while at West Point.

I'd hardly put her in the kleptomaniac category.

I've never seen any police report stating she made numerous charges on the credit card, nor anything official with the cosmetics. So we have one recorded incident and a possibility of another.

Maybe she's a bit compulsive, but hardly a criminal. I doubt we are going to find anything to substantiate she was a horrible, troubled girl versus a girl who made a few mistakes. Unless we count late movie rentals and parking tickets. In that case, I'm a straight thug.
Caffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #53
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
And I also find her outright lie to her professor that she had a "death in the family" to be rather tacky, at the very least. No doubt she knew her legal issues were mounting and the whole "death in the family" was an attempt to evoke sympathy out of people in the event that UMass was in the process of kicking her out like West Point.
But there were no legal troubles mounting on her part. The only legal problem she had was the credit card fraud which landed her on probation but all charges were to be dropped if she kept her nose clean. And the three months that followed, there were no other reported behavior problems on her part so her record was about to be clean.

There was no criminal charges pressed against her for the makeup theft from West Point. Her punishment was being dismissed from the school.

The car accident with her dad's car could have been attributed to alcohol but we'll never know for sure. It's just speculation. And the police officer did NOT issue her a DUI so this didn't go on her record.

She was in no danger of flunking or being kicked out of UMass. She was on the Dean's List the previous semester. If the second car accident in New Hampshire was due to alcohol, she might have been in danger of being kicked out of the nursing program but not out of school. But despite this, all signs seem to indicate she was planning on leaving long before that accident anyway.

The email to her professors about a death in the family, you may think it's tacky but I think it's absolutely normal behavior of a college kid. Kids have been using that excuse since the beginning of time, right along with the dog ate my homework.

Absolutely nothing she did was serious enough to leave forever. That's why this whole ordeal is so insanely puzzling. Yet her father and her friends' actions from UMass about that entire weekend make no sense and are VERY suspicious.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:59 PM   #54
Rukiri
Occasional Poster

Wasn't featured in the new episodes either, this would have been a perfect candidate for a case and I remember following this story back in 2004.

Was it ever solved?
Rukiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 AM   #55
ChrissySnow
Frequent Poster

Dynoguy...can you elaborate on what actions her father and friends did that would be deemed, "suspicious?"

I haven't heard anything about this aspect of the case, and would love to hear more details. :-)
ChrissySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #56
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
The only recorded acts of theft that have ever seen the light of day is the single $70-something fraudulent credit card charge and talk that she stole cosmetics of some kind while at West Point.

I'd hardly put her in the kleptomaniac category.

I've never seen any police report stating she made numerous charges on the credit card, nor anything official with the cosmetics. So we have one recorded incident and a possibility of another.

Maybe she's a bit compulsive, but hardly a criminal. I doubt we are going to find anything to substantiate she was a horrible, troubled girl versus a girl who made a few mistakes. Unless we count late movie rentals and parking tickets. In that case, I'm a straight thug.
Do you know of any 120 pound lady who can down $80 worth of pizza in one sitting? This may come as a surprise to you, but stealing somebody's credit card number and running up charges on it is a criminal act. It's theft, identity theft and fraud. They are serious charges. Not to mention the drunk driving that endangered the lives of everyone she crossed path with those nights.

In case you still don't believe me (which you almost assuredly won't) you can read about it yourself. 6 charges made to 3 different businesses. You can also read about how she lied her ass off when confronted about the theft by the police officers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7_...UDg/view?pli=1

The theft of the cosmetics isn't some vague comment coming from an anonymous person with a grudge against Maura, it came directly from one of her friends, said friend also believes Maura has started a new life somewhere, and said she was told by the Murrays to not say negative things about Maura publically. If you'd like to read that for yourself, here is the link:
http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2014...est-point.html

A bit compulsive? We know she stole things from other people on at least 7 occasions, and had planned on more. The only reason she stopped was because she was caught.

You seem to be a rather hardcore defender of Maura and the unlikely notion that she ran into foul play at the hands of a bogeyman. May I ask you what compels you to feel this way? Please be as specific as possible.

Last edited by wiseguy182; 09-01-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #57
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
The car accident with her dad's car could have been attributed to alcohol but we'll never know for sure. It's just speculation. And the police officer did NOT issue her a DUI so this didn't go on her record.
When you consider she had stockpiled on booze, was reportedly partying heavily in the 3 days before she went missing, and also had 2 accidents in this timeframe, I certainly know what I believe.

Police report indicating a Coke bottle with a red liquid and a strong odor of alcohol found in second car:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7_...d2UVlUc1U/view

It also looks like Fred had a problem with the drunk driving himself. Runs in the family?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7_...pNcDU2R3c/view

Quote:
She was in no danger of flunking or being kicked out of UMass. She was on the Dean's List the previous semester. If the second car accident in New Hampshire was due to alcohol, she might have been in danger of being kicked out of the nursing program but not out of school. But despite this, all signs seem to indicate she was planning on leaving long before that accident anyway.
That's impossible to say, we don't know what was going on behind the scenes. She had already been kicked out of one school, so it isn't a huge stretch to think a second one was considering. We know she's committed crimes, which certainly didn't help her situation any. And she was probably in danger of losing her campus security job too, since people would probably have an issue with a thief and criminal holding a position like that.

Quote:
The email to her professors about a death in the family, you may think it's tacky but I think it's absolutely normal behavior of a college kid. Kids have been using that excuse since the beginning of time, right along with the dog ate my homework.
I'm not sure what college you attended, but where I attended it was absolutely NOT normal behavior. First of all, it's a lie, and secondly, it's using deception to evoke sympathy out of people. Not too many college professors are going to challenge the "death in the family" excuse because it makes them seem uncaring. "Dog ate my homework" is something 7 year old kids use in second grade, not when they're grown adults in college, and in Maura's case, a few months away from being in a position where people's physical well-being was going to be placed in her care.

Last edited by wiseguy182; 09-01-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #58
wiseguy182

Well this is interesting.

on 2/6/04 at 12:20 a.m., Petrit Vasi was found unconscious by Amherst police. The area in which he was found was within walking distance of where Maura was "working" at the time. 40 minutes later at 1:00 a.m., Maura reportedly receives a distressing phone call that upset her so much she had to leave work. Petrit received extensive head injuries, was in a coma for two months and nearly died. Swerve marks near the scene of where Vasi was found indicated he was the victim of a hit and run accident. Money was also stolen out of his wallet. The story about this made the local newspaper on 2/9/04, the same day Maura disappeared.

My personal theory is that Maura left her job, intended to make a quick trip somewhere, was drunk and struck Vasi, stopped to assess the situation, realized Vasi was seriously injured, stole his money (we know she likes to steal things) left the scene of the accident and returned to her job like nothing happened. Once news of her victims injuries hit the papers, she hightailed on out of there in order to live it up elsewhere while Vasi spends the rest of his life suffering from the effects of a drunk driver and known criminal.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #59
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Well this is interesting.

on 2/6/04 at 12:20 a.m., Petrit Vasi was found unconscious by Amherst police. The area in which he was found was within walking distance of where Maura was "working" at the time. 40 minutes later at 1:00 a.m., Maura reportedly receives a distressing phone call that upset her so much she had to leave work. Petrit received extensive head injuries, was in a coma for two months and nearly died. Swerve marks near the scene of where Vasi was found indicated he was the victim of a hit and run accident. Money was also stolen out of his wallet. The story about this made the local newspaper on 2/9/04, the same day Maura disappeared.

My personal theory is that Maura left her job, intended to make a quick trip somewhere, was drunk and struck Vasi, stopped to assess the situation, realized Vasi was seriously injured, stole his money (we know she likes to steal things) left the scene of the accident and returned to her job like nothing happened. Once news of her victims injuries hit the papers, she hightailed on out of there in order to live it up elsewhere while Vasi spends the rest of his life suffering from the effects of a drunk driver and known criminal.
I've heard this before and it sounds like a perfect theory on the surface, but James Renner himself seems to believe it's very unlikely and doesn't think that Maura could have left her job for that period of time and made it back without anyone noticing she was gone:
http://mauramurray.blogspot.ca/2012/...is-highly.html

Some people have speculated that someone else could have committed the hit-and-run while borrowing Maura's car, but I don't see why she would go to the trouble of staging a disappearance over a crime that she herself never actually committed.

That said, if Renner didn't have so much skepticism about this scenario, I'd believe it in a heartbeat.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #60
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I've heard this before and it sounds like a perfect theory on the surface, but James Renner himself seems to believe it's very unlikely and doesn't think that Maura could have left her job for that period of time and made it back without anyone noticing she was gone:
http://mauramurray.blogspot.ca/2012/...is-highly.html

Some people have speculated that someone else could have committed the hit-and-run while borrowing Maura's car, but I don't see why she would go to the trouble of staging a disappearance over a crime that she herself never actually committed.

That said, if Renner didn't have so much skepticism about this scenario, I'd believe it in a heartbeat.
Renner is all over the place with his beliefs.

It's also interesting to note the following: Maura's first car crash was causing $10,000 worth of damage to her father's new car. With that out of commission, she was forced to drive her own 96 Saturn, which by accounts she didn't like driving because 'it wasn't a reliable car', though I'm willing to wager she didn't take care of it properly since Saturns are quality made American cars.

That same Saturn was the car she wrecked in the second accident in New Hampshire. Here I think either one of 2 scenarios are possible:

1) she was drinking and driving and caused the accident.
2) she intentionally crashed as an attempt to cover up any damage caused to the car when she struck Vasi.

And you have to ask yourself, why on Earth would she drive an "unreliable" car, which she didn't even like driving around town, up to another state she wasn't totally familiar with in snowy road conditions? It makes no sense. I'm wondering if she just didn't care what happened to her and planned on committing suicide. I could see any number of scenarios possible.

The one thing I feel confident on is Maura did not encounter foul play.