Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #136
sprinkles
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182

2) The "breakdown" was just a ruse to get out of work. Since she was already making numerous lengthy phone calls and doing her homework on the job, it's indicative she wasn't taking her responsibilities seriously. We already know she ducked out of college courses on the Monday with her phony "death in the family" bit, and since she failed at least one class, she probably wasn't putting full effort into her college courses either. She calls Domino's to continue her socializing.
I just graduated from college and the students I worked with were not even slightly interested in doing their work. They broke rules at work when the boss was there and broke even more when she wasn't. I've always wondered if your #2 was the more likely scenario for the breakdown.
sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #137
cordwainer1453
Frequent Poster

Who had cassette tapes in 2003? I guess I had a tape player in my car back then, but I never used it. It was ancient even in the late 90s.
cordwainer1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #138
cordwainer1453
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
- "Tundra" garment bag, color green
- "Tic Tac" container (opened)
- ESPN Zone card
- MCI Prepaid Phone Cards
- TTI National, Inc. Calling Card
- Samsung Travel Adapter
- Paperwork
- pr. Puma sweatpants, color black and white
- Express polo, long sleeve polo shirt, size medium
- sports bra, color black
- Old Navy V-neck sweater, black
- pr Abercrombie & Fitch pants, size 4, white with black belt
- Old Navy sweatshirt, zip up with hood, size medium
- pr. Basics sneakers, color white
- pink sock with cow design on it
- papermate pen
- Perfect Blend make-up pencil
- Big Y tokens
- Bra, color pale blue, size 34A
- $.75 coins
- "Army Track" duffle bag, color black with gold colored straps
- Health professional drug guide
- Mead spiral notebook, green
- UMass Complete Health History questionnaire
- Vermont attracts map
- Mosbys Phramocology in Nursing Book
- can Alumaseal
- can Fix a Flat
- can STP Power steering fluid
- can Carpet and Stain remover
- Big Y plastic shopping bag
- multicolored glove
- black gloves
- jar Vlasic baby kosher dill pickles (opened)
- bottle of Diet Cherry Coke (opened)
- package of Twizzlers (opened)
- Sears plastic bag
- 2057 light bulb
- 2057A Amber light bulbs
- container Turtle Wax rubbing compound
- Craftsman starbit screwdriver
- Eastern Mass Road Map
- Not Without Peril book
- CD case with 34 Cds
- CD holders
- Portable JVC CD player
- AC Cell phone power adapters
- Radiator funnel, yellow
- Shaws plastic bag
- cosmetic pound with make-up
- tube Shear VO5 hairdressing
- bottle Top Care aspirin
- pack of Triphasil Birth Control (4 pills missing)
- toothbrush, white & magenta
- bottle "Got to be Good" shampoo
- bottle of "Bon Bons" fingernail polish
- pks Simply Sleep sleeping pills
- bottle Aveo juice skin quencher
- container of Speed Stick deodorant
- ProActive Solution cleanser
- bottle of Victoria Secret body lotion
- tube Colgate
- bottle Cucumber Melon Fantasy Body Spray
- Gillette razor
- empty box of Simply Sleep
- bottle of Cairol Herbal Essence shampoo
- bottle Head & Shoulder shampoo
- package Crest white strips
- travel toothbruth
- Skyvalley4you.com pen
- make-up mirror
- tampon
- multi-purpose funnel
- Led Zeppelin cassette tape
- photograph of Kurtis Murray
- U2 cassette tape
- USMA patch
- "Fleet" Fast Lane toll pass
- Magnetic can opener
- Vaco flat head screwdriver
- Red handled phillips screwdriver
- tire gauge
- pk. Extra chewing gum
- automobile cigarette lighter
- pens
- pencil
- 3X5 card with directions
- empty cellophane pouch
- UMass Student Telephone Directory
- paperwork

When I was in college, the contents of my car were: spare change in the cup-holder, about 100 CD's, De-icer for the windshield (for winter) and the occasional fast food receipt that didn't get thrown away.

Maura's car sounds like she went on a full out shopping spree at CVS and Staples. But the general responses on the blog seem to be that this seems pretty normal for a college girl to have in her car.

The only items that raise an eyebrow is the amount of shampoo, like you said. Also the cigarette lighter. I never heard that Maura smoked. And being a former track star and athlete, it seems unlikely she would.
I'm sure if you looked through anybody's car (myself included) and made an inventory you'd find A LOT of stuff/junk, probably even some things that had no reasonable explanation for being there.
cordwainer1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #139
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453
Who had cassette tapes in 2003? I guess I had a tape player in my car back then, but I never used it. It was ancient even in the late 90s.
I still have them in 2015. Still use them.

The issue is that technology keeps changing. Cassettes replaced 8-tracks, cd's replaced records, and now there are various inventions that have replaced cd's. More or less. People with huge collections would be out thousands of dollars to convert their catalogs to one new format. Multiply that by various cycles and it's a small fortune.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #140
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkles
I just graduated from college and the students I worked with were not even slightly interested in doing their work. They broke rules at work when the boss was there and broke even more when she wasn't. I've always wondered if your #2 was the more likely scenario for the breakdown.
Thank you sprinkles. A lot of the ones I worked with were lazy and I've worked with them in both college and in the employment field. Many times, I ended up doing their work for them. There are a lot of hardworking college students out there, but I haven't met many of them. I'm next to Michigan State University, the nation's premiere party college and Riot capital of the U.S.

Some have said it was unlikely that Maura could have ducked out of there in order to hit Vasi, and that it would have taken considerable time to do so even though he was hit very near the college, and that she couldn't re-enter the building due to her card being deactivated. The thing is though, there are numerous possibilities. 1) I'm guessing she had a lunch or a break of some sort. Either that, or she got someone to cover for her. 2) She could have had a friend let her in.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:03 AM   #141
wiseguy182

Oh man, this is interesting! from the blog, this is a ways back:

Maura cheated on her boyfriend Billy with her track coach, Hossein Baghdadi (partially at the urging of her friends, presumably the ones that are remaining tight-lipped). Their relationship was described as "hot and heavy". Out of the blue, Maura stopped seeing him and contacting him. After some time had passed, Hossein learned that Maura had gotten back together with Billy, whom she had told Hossein was an "ex-boyfriend" (which is another lie on Maura's part since they never broke up).

After Maura's disappearance, detectives questioned Hossein and he told them that Maura had once told him she wished she could disappear and his first reaction upon learning about her disappearance was that she voluntarily ran away. He also stated that Maura was "very promiscuous" and slept with various members of the track team.

So it sounds like she cheated. Lots. On various partners. Additionally, this makes the odds of pregnancy go up. One theory put forth was that Maura had purchased the mass amounts of alcohol to drink enough to miscarry. She had done searches on her computer for that type of thing.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #142
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453
My car was filled with cassette tapes as recently as 2005. That year, two of my friends bought me a CD player to be installed in my car as a birthday present because in their words: they were sick of me living in the 80's. Then last year, after constantly making fun of me for having endless CD's in my car, they bought me an I-Tunes gift card. I'm always a little behind the times.

Maura's car, like many cars from the late 90's, had the option of both CD and cassette player. And many people made use of both. I don't find that odd at all.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #143
wiseguy182

some bits and pieces I picked out from various parts in the blog.

-Yet another lie by Fred Murray was his various stories about what happened after Maura crashed his new car. He told one person close to him that Maura went to the hotel and passed out in the lobby. He told a completely different story to the police. This is cunning on his part because "passed out" probably means intoxicated or under the influence, and the lies he told police were most likely to cover up that Maura was drinking when she crashed the car.

-More info on the sighting from when 3 ladies were spotted purchasing alcohol just an hour or two before Maura's Haverhill crash. The cashier said 2 of the id's were from Massachusetts. The third was from New York or Connecticut. I believe Kate Markopolous has ties to New York.

-I've read various accounts of Fred's "searches" near where Maura disappeared. The real people looking for Maura were the volunteers, NOT Fred. Multiple people have stated Fred's usual routine was to get up late, go jogging, shower, have breakfast, and start looking for Maura at 10 a.m. or so (?!) Presumably, Fred would then "search" for a few hours, have lunch, "search" for a few more hours and then call everyone to the bar (a favorite hangout of his) at 5 p.m. for drinks and partying. This routine was only broken when there were cameras around, at which point Fred would go to great lengths to make it appear he was furiously searching for his daughter.

Now, does this sound like a man hell bent on finding his daughter? Or does this sound like someone doing a half-ass job because he knows the real answers? I know what I believe.

I really can't describe how much lying and evasiveness Maura's friends and family have done. Sara Alferi and Kate Markopolous have said next to nothing about Maura's disappearance since it happened and Kate has claimed repeatedly that she can't remember a single other person who attended the party. There's also a lot of confusion as to WHERE the party was held at. Renner is actively searching for Maura and has been completely shut out by them. They banned him on Facebook, they completely ignored him when he contacted them.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #144
wiseguy182

I personally believe that Maura probably did hit Petrit Vasi and that alcohol was involved, which means Maura may have set an all-time world record for most alcohol related car accidents in a single week at three. I think that theory ties up several of the loose ends. It explains why she was so devastated at work, and also why she hasn't reappeared. Yeah, it could be argued the credit card fraud and stuff possibly wouldn't have had long-standing effects, but nearly killing a man, putting him in a coma, and leaving the scene of a crime certainly would have. And that poor Vasi will never be the same after that. Maura, whom I believe is a sociopath, probably doesn't care a whit about that. She just cared about how it would have tarnished her image.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #145
wiseguy182

As Ricci suggested, most of the items fall into a few categories.

Clothes/Beauty items ~ Putting this as delicately as possible, women tend to pack more then men, so I can understand why there is so much that falls into this category, especially if she was, you know, not planning on going back.

Car Maintenance/emergency Items ~ This is one of the few areas I can give Maura credit, as she seemed somewhat well stocked in case something went wrong. By the way, everyone should have an emergency and first aid kit in your car. Obviously, everyone will differ as to what should go in there, but some good suggestions are: flares, candles, items for warmth, bottles of water, jumper cables, multi-purpose tool, flashlight, kitty litter (fellow northerners will know what this is about), batteries, maps (yes, the paper kind), battery operated radio, waterproof matches, etc.

Most of the rest of the items can be chalked up to entertainment, work-related and things that would normally be found in a car. There are a few outliers though...

-Carpet stain remover? Is there some alternate use for this I'm not familiar with?

-Sleeping pills: both an empty box, as well as several packs of pills. I can understand taking a few with you, but it appears she took quite a few, and additionally, the empty box throws up a red flag. Did she overdose and commit suicide?

-Food items. I noticed every single one of them was opened, although it's not stated if it appeared they were consumed. Did Maura wrestle with a package or bottle and cause the accident?

-photo of Kurtis. Interestingly, no pictures of any other family members?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #146
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
As Ricci suggested, most of the items fall into a few categories.

Clothes/Beauty items ~ Putting this as delicately as possible, women tend to pack more then men, so I can understand why there is so much that falls into this category, especially if she was, you know, not planning on going back.

Car Maintenance/emergency Items ~ This is one of the few areas I can give Maura credit, as she seemed somewhat well stocked in case something went wrong. By the way, everyone should have an emergency and first aid kit in your car. Obviously, everyone will differ as to what should go in there, but some good suggestions are: flares, candles, items for warmth, bottles of water, jumper cables, multi-purpose tool, flashlight, kitty litter (fellow northerners will know what this is about), batteries, maps (yes, the paper kind), battery operated radio, waterproof matches, etc.

Most of the rest of the items can be chalked up to entertainment, work-related and things that would normally be found in a car. There are a few outliers though...

-Carpet stain remover? Is there some alternate use for this I'm not familiar with?

-Sleeping pills: both an empty box, as well as several packs of pills. I can understand taking a few with you, but it appears she took quite a few, and additionally, the empty box throws up a red flag. Did she overdose and commit suicide?

-Food items. I noticed every single one of them was opened, although it's not stated if it appeared they were consumed. Did Maura wrestle with a package or bottle and cause the accident?

-photo of Kurtis. Interestingly, no pictures of any other family members?
As far as the clothes go, I see your point, but I don't think she packed a number of clothes that would suggest she was leaving forever. I saw enough to potentially be a weekend's worth of clothing...and a lot of it actually sounded like the contents of a gym bag.

I've thought about the possibility of huffing with the carpet stain remover. I'm not sure if that chemical compound has the same components that aerosol cans do, which is what makes you high when you inhale it. But it had crossed my mind.

I thought the sleeping pills were interesting, too. Of note, however, they were over the counter sleep aids. I'm not sure how much damage they could cause if you ingested them.

I didn't think too much of the food items, although I wryly joked to myself she may have been pregnant based on the strange combo of licorice, pickles, and diet soda. I usually have a Diet Pepsi and some form of snack food in my car.

The picture of her brother stuck out to me, too. If I remember correctly, she was close with her brother. I don't remember about the rest of the family.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #147
mikewho
Frequent Poster

This case has always baffled me. Did they ever find out anything about where and why she went where she did?
mikewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #148
mdl1981
Frequent Poster

I just started to get into this case recently. I've read much of Renner's blog and also just started listening to the podcasts.

I really just don't know. The closest thing I can come to a conclusion on is that Maura wasn't smart enough nor savvy enough to engineer her dissapearance and make it stick for 11 years now. She seems like she was an extreme emotional mess and very unstable leading up to this incident. Could someone like that be crafty enough and have her head on straight enough to engineer such an elaborate disapperance? I have my doubts, but I don't feel confident enough to say she definitely couldn't have. I go back and forth between suicide, abduction/murder, and willful hiding all the time and I think there is an equal chance of either scenario.

I'm really 50/50 on this whole case. I will say there seems to be alot of shadiness going on from almost everyone involved. Her friends, Fred Murray and even the police.
mdl1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #149
DALLASTEXAN!!

Ok so this was never on UM as it was afterward I kept wondering what this thread was about lol. But it does remind me of two very popular segments (Dakota double death and Patricia Meehan). Both were vehicle accidents involving mental disorientation or substance abuse. Both had multiple angles of possible theories including foul play(which I was always skeptical to some degree). Both also had Mother Nature elements (although I don't recall what time of year Meehan disappeared). I do know many segments featured the harsh elements and as we've seen many times the elements win unless someone is equipped to survive. Being under the influence of alcohol/drugs/or injury is a major disadvantage.

I never read any blogs or listened to a podcast but I did see the disappeared case and the father on the UM YouTube channel. I think this is a case of a young lady whose alcohol use was out of control. No one really wanted to say it on the disappeared episode but good lord the amount of alcohol she bought and was likely drinking on her drive. The father mentions drinking with her briefly but really tries to hide her negative behavior and pump up her accolades. I don't know if his and her relationship had issues(maybe he pushed her too hard in athletics and academics) or if they were just very close as he said. The only thing that is clear to me is that he did cover up alcohol use to police/insurance in the first accident. Who knows what happened behind the scenes. He may have been very mad at her and had a confrontation with her leading to her going the wrong direction. Or then again maybe he did nothing to hold her accountable for her actions. Either way This may be why he's so defensive and appears to feel guilty. He also appears to blame others for what happened. IIRC he did mention finally on the YouTube channel that yes maybe she was drinking but she didn't deserve to die.

when she wrecked the second time I think she was trying to avoid going to jail and ran away thinking I've done this before and I'm athletic and smart enough to get away with it. But the elements were too much not to mention she may have been injured from head trauma then combine that with alcohol.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #150
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Default very suprising

Quote:
That's not surprising in the least. Most of the people connected to Maura frequently lie, evade, or some combination of the two. Renner is frequently met with roadblocks such as that one because Maura's friends and family don't want people to find out the truth.
of course it was VERY surprising. it was the only instance where Renner was almost physically accosted and it was done by someone who seemingly had only a geographical connection to the case. the gas station owner only seemed to be connected to the case by being friends with the contractor who lived within sight of the accident but failed to notice it supposedly at the time and a month later claimed an alibi by saying he saw a figure running along the same road 10 miles away shortly after the accident and then not letting the police search his home. otherwise no known connection although one of his customers later claimed to see a strange red pick up truck near the gas station before the accident.

the family's hostility to renner is understandable as they have tried to portray her as an angel in all mainstream media accounts of the case including the disappeared episode and father Fred's very recent online video at unsolved.com. they knew renner would cover the case warts and all (although overall I think he is very favorable to MM) and they thought he was trying to cash in on their misery.
jjmcgr is offline   Reply With Quote