Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #61
Orange_Sody_84
Frequent Poster

Ewww! :/ this guy is totally creepy!!! Nowheregirl I'm right there with you. :/ I got creeped out looking thru this thread.

They prolly look different because every witness sees things differently. hindsight and all that jazz.
Orange_Sody_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #62
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Forum Regular

Holy cow! That's some really in depth info I never heard while reading about EAR.
Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #63
Zlatko
Forum Regular

For those interested, the San Jose Mercury News has an article in regards to the EAR. One of the victims discusses her memories. She's certainly a strong person.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_18496431
Zlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #64
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatko
For those interested, the San Jose Mercury News has an article in regards to the EAR. One of the victims discusses her memories. She's certainly a strong person.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_18496431
That you for the article. "Missy" sounds like an incredibly strong woman. Just 13 and having to endure something so brutal? I'm glad that she has a family now and had such strong community support.

I'm wondering a few things about EAR after reading this thread.
1) Could he possibly have been motivated by his small genital size to want such domination? Maybe someone mocked him and he got angry and wanted to punish women (then later, men).
2) He didn't use condoms (I presume) if they got all the DNA evidence. This may be a silly question, but anyone wondering about possible STDs he could have contracted/passed along after attacking so many people? I'm sure that would have been noted by investigators and they would have tried to sift through medical records of people in the area with said disease though.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #65
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
That you for the article. "Missy" sounds like an incredibly strong woman. Just 13 and having to endure something so brutal? I'm glad that she has a family now and had such strong community support.

I'm wondering a few things about EAR after reading this thread.
1) Could he possibly have been motivated by his small genital size to want such domination? Maybe someone mocked him and he got angry and wanted to punish women (then later, men).
2) He didn't use condoms (I presume) if they got all the DNA evidence. This may be a silly question, but anyone wondering about possible STDs he could have contracted/passed along after attacking so many people? I'm sure that would have been noted by investigators and they would have tried to sift through medical records of people in the area with said disease though.
1 - Yes, there is a good chance that the EAR, well, suffered from a size complex. If my memory is correct, some investigators suggested that he was possibly mocked by girls in his youth for his small genitals. Perhaps he was about to get intimate with some girl and ended up being laughed at. Although, I've also heard some suggest that he suffered from 'mommy issues.' I do think he probably enjoyed showing his dominance to both female and male alike. By that, I mean he liked terrorizing the husband by raping the wife.

2- So far from all I've learned about the EAR, the subject of STDs hasn't come up. The investigators certainly should look into it.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #66
soundandvision
Frequent Poster

As I do every so often, typically on weekends while watching the kids, I peruse the web looking for new info on EAR/ONS. This weekend I came across a rather interesting tidbit. It appears there is an independent film being made about the life (and death) of EAR/ONS last known victim, Janelle Cruz.

More information can be found here: Bird with a Broken Wing

The teaser trailer (showing actual home movies) really does humanize Ms. Cruz in a way that truly touched me. I'm not sure if this film will get any kind of film festival release or if it's straight to DVD or what. Hard to tell. {edit: it appears that the director is seeking financing**

Inspired by finding this bit of news, I went looking for something on the web (anything really) about the Janelle Cruz homicide. And found this.

Quote:
Perhaps the most compelling account I came across in the old forums was [allegedly] posted by the boyfriend of Janelle Cruz at the time of her death.

His post reported of an encounter with Janelle at a neighborhood pool approximately a week before death. He wrote of the presence of another man at the swimming pool whose gaze upon Janelle had a "sexually predatory" manner about it, and how the man offered to drop by her home to show her some kittens for the purpose of her possibly adopting them.

If this account is correct, the probability is good that the "kitten man" was EAR-ONS.
Now, it would seem that the filmmaker behind Bird With A Broken Wing had intimate access to the footage used for the teaser trailer. So perhaps he knows of the person that is behind the information from the above quote or would have access to her family and be able to deduce who was close to her and may have witnessed this incident.

Two things I have read in the last year that really piqued my interest back into this case:

1. A law enforcement official (I think from Contra Costa) said they were looking into the possibility of the common link to many of the early rapes was one of the local hospitals. That some of the victims had worked/stayed or knew of someone that worked/stayed there. Something like that, I probably don't have my facts 100% on that.

2. This tidbit about the man that was ogling Ms. Cruz by the pool in her neighborhood shortly before her murder.

This case is solvable. Now, whether or not EAR/ONS is dead or not, who knows. But, someone out there holds the key to this.

Last edited by soundandvision; 08-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.
soundandvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #67
Truth Sleuth
Someone, somewhere knows
Frequent Poster

Last night, by accident, I found the UM segment on EAR/ONS on YouTube. I had tried looking for it in the past but no one had it uploaded with the name "Original Night Stalker", it's listed only as "Serial Rapist/Murderer." For the record, it had a recreation of the public meeting where the man criticized the husbands who didn't try to stop EAR/ONS.

Also one thing that caught my attention - they showed EAR/ONS walking on the second floor of a home on the outside, i.e. walking on the roof over a porch or deck. Did he actually do this? I thought he always got in through windows or doors at ground level.
Truth Sleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #68
soundandvision
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Sleuth
Last night, by accident, I found the UM segment on EAR/ONS on YouTube. I had tried looking for it in the past but no one had it uploaded with the name "Original Night Stalker", it's listed only as "Serial Rapist/Murderer." For the record, it had a recreation of the public meeting where the man criticized the husbands who didn't try to stop EAR/ONS.

Also one thing that caught my attention - they showed EAR/ONS walking on the second floor of a home on the outside, i.e. walking on the roof over a porch or deck. Did he actually do this? I thought he always got in through windows or doors at ground level.
Thanks much for the tip that the UM segment has been upped to YT. I had *never* seen it and always wanted to. The Cold Case Files & THS Investigates episodes are absolutely chilling true crime, at its finest.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #69
XCalibur
Forum Regular

I've always found this case fascinating.

But one thing thats always puzzled me is that no crimes DNA wise have been linked to EAR after 1986. Guys like that usually don't stop. However, he was reported to have made threatening phone calls to women in the early
90's.

What I wonder is if EAR's DNA profile has ever been entered into the national database? Because this would be a way of finding out if he left California, if you could link other crimes to him in other parts of the country it might be a way of finding out if the crimes stopped because he moved.

I think its important that this guy is identified and if still alive caught, even though he has to be in his late 50's or early 60's.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #70
soundandvision
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur
I've always found this case fascinating.

But one thing thats always puzzled me is that no crimes DNA wise have been linked to EAR after 1986. Guys like that usually don't stop. However, he was reported to have made threatening phone calls to women in the early
90's.
I've heard that too and those reports are pretty credible since they came from previous victims. I'm not entirely sure but I think the audio recording used in the Cold Case Files episode is actually from such a call from the early 1990's.

Quote:
What I wonder is if EAR's DNA profile has ever been entered into the national database? Because this would be a way of finding out if he left California, if you could link other crimes to him in other parts of the country it might be a way of finding out if the crimes stopped because he moved.
I obviously have no direct insight on this but I strongly assume that Larry Pool and the other authorities have made sure the DNA string is in CODIS. And it probably routinely gets re-run against the national database. Again, one would assume.

Quote:
I think its important that this guy is identified and if still alive caught, even though he has to be in his late 50's or early 60's.
Absolutely. In 1976, he was described as between 19 and 28 years of age. For grins, let's assume (if he was also the Visalia Ransacker, and I think he was) that he started acting out around the age of 18 or 19 in 1974 as the VR, that would put his age closer to mid-50's. Relatively young still, by contemporary standards anyway.

The common thought for a long time seemed to be that he died after the murder of Ms. Cruz in 1986 or was in prison for a totally unrelated crime (a crime where DNA extraction wouldn't make sense, for authorities..burglary perhaps). However, when you think about it, his silence makes deafening sense, upon re-examination. Between 1981 and 1986 he was totally dormant, or so authorities think. Then in 1986 he murders Janelle Cruz and suddenly stops completely. The period of halting his activity between Domingo/Sanchez and then Cruz is the key. What happened in his life? Marriage? Kids? Was Cruz one last murder for old times sake; his perfection of what he wanted the crime to be?

Both Gary Ridgway (Green River Killer) and Dennis Radar (BTK Killer) ceased activity for a number of years before resuming their activities. Both men were married with children I believe. In Radar's case he couldn't help himself from reliving his crimes by taunting police. In the case of EAR/ONS, I wonder if perhaps the advances in science and more awareness of his crimes caused him to halt abruptly after 1986. With only the taunting calls from the early 90's to help relive the terror. These are all things that I think make sense, who knows if they are true or not.

What I believe in my core though is this. He's still out there in suburbia, living as a someone's next door neighbor. And I think this case will eventually be solved the more minute details are brought out with time. Or maybe a wife will stumble across her husbands secret stash of mementos from the crime scenes (a box of drivers licenses of women, something like that).
Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #71
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundandvision

What I believe in my core though is this. He's still out there in suburbia, living as a someone's next door neighbor. And I think this case will eventually be solved the more minute details are brought out with time. Or maybe a wife will stumble across her husbands secret stash of mementos from the crime scenes (a box of drivers licenses of women, something like that).
This is what makes the EAR creepy. No one really knows what happened to the guy. He could be deceased or possibly living in some isolated town in Northern California. The possibilities are endless. What I also wonder is if anyone close to him know his secrets. Possibly a wife, parents, or children.

It's eerie to think the guy could be one's run-of-the-mill neighbor as well. For some reason, I think he'd seem like a normal guy in person.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #72
Orange_Sody_84
Frequent Poster

It physically creeps me out and makes me ill to think this guy is most likely still alive. is prolly someone's friend or neighbor. maybe married with kids. and no one would have any idea. :/ I mean could you guys imagine?? I hope someday this case is solved.
Orange_Sody_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #73
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Sody_84
It physically creeps me out and makes me ill to think this guy is most likely still alive. is prolly someone's friend or neighbor. maybe married with kids. and no one would have any idea. :/ I mean could you guys imagine?? I hope someday this case is solved.
Interestingly, there is a theory that the EAR may have stopped because he was married and simply couldn't go out at night without being noticed anymore. This was bolstered by the fact that supposedly during one of his threatening phone calls a woman and children could be heard in the background.

Although I think thats a stretch that that alone proves he has one. He could have been in a public place at a phone booth, or even at a friends house.

Still its an interesting theory.

Still, whats so dangerous about this guy is that he clearly IMO had the mental capacity to change his MO. Several times during his reign from 1976-1986 he started doing things differently to throw off law enforcement.

For all we know, this guy could have been luring women into his home and killing them, or perhaps even hiding bodies of women he rapes and kills, hence no DNA surfacing. He might not have stopped killing, but may have merely stopped home invasions and started stalking women elsewhere. Its a scary thought for sure.

On the other hand, he may have mellowed out and become a born again Christian. Who knows? But either way, he definitely must be identified and caught, he has roamed way to long. If he is still alive that is.
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #74
WishfulDreamer

With his attitude toward women, I have to wonder if he would be able to sustain a marriage, especially enough to respect his wife and stop. Then again, several of these serial killers have been found to be married.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #75
NellieBlyArmy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
With his attitude toward women, I have to wonder if he would be able to sustain a marriage,
I was thinking about this, and I think casual misogyny is so common that yeah, he could probably get away with it. I work in a DV shelter and I can assure you, the men who beat these women are generally pretty popular guys. I've seen women's own mothers side with the abuser. I've seen whole communities come together to hide the abuser so he can't get served with a restraining order. Think that town in Texas who called that 11 year old girl who got gang-raped a "slut" and cried police injustice when the rapists got arrested. I bet pretty much anyone can think of some really awful stuff men they know have done to or said about women, guys you may otherwise like. The sheer number of rape jokes or "just get her drunk" jokes many people make is staggering.

Thinking in my own life, I know a guy who heard his ex (a next door neighbor) getting beaten by her current boyfriend and told the story like it was a joke, a guy who thinks "ugly" women should be grateful for sexual harassment who also broke into his ex's apartment to steal back a present he bought her 8 months before they broke up, and a guy who held a female friend of mine against a wall because she turned him down for a date. I can think of plenty of other stuff, but it would turn into a novel. These guys all have friends, long-term relationships, etc. They're not piriahs or considered generally "bad," just guys who maybe get carried away, or were hurt by a woman and therefore bitter so it makes sense that they'd be that angry. Hell, just look at this thread - there is a ton of "He's probably raping ladies because some woman made fun of his wang when he was young," which is so ridiculous as to not be funny. I mean, obviously being mocked doesn't actually turn you into a serial rapist (even if it is a woman who does the mocking) but an actual cop is floating that theory.

Seeing this type of behavior makes people uncomfortable, yeah, but we're all pretty well socialized not to rock the boat and to give people the benefit of the doubt. Misogynists, racists, homophobes - they get away with a TON in day-to-day life when you think about it. So yeah, I have no doubt that his hatred of women won't prevent him from having friends and lovers, and I am positive that alone wouldn't inspire someone to suggest his name to the cops.

Last edited by NellieBlyArmy; 08-30-2011 at 04:02 PM.
NellieBlyArmy is offline   Reply With Quote