Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #106
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
I agree he didn;t seem unstable.

He also has nothing to gain really from making the story up.

I assume his job was a pretty well paying and good job.

No, I think Brad may have sought him ought for assistance.
I agree his job would require very good training and skills. He didn't seem unstable at all in the interview. Bishop had links to many parts of Europe but the fact he seemed homeless was a puzzling one. Maybe he ran out of places to hide.

He had been sighted in these places according to Wikipedia.

* In July 1978, Bishop was seen by an acquaintance of the Bishop family in Stockholm, Sweden.

* In January 1979, Bishop was seen in a washroom in Sorrento, Italy by Roy Harrel, a co-worker who was the last to see Bishop coming out of the State Department. Bishop panicked, then ran when hailed by the co-worker.

* On September 19, 1994 on a Basel, Switzerland train platform, a neighbor who knew Bishop and his family in Bethesda reported that she saw Bishop from a few feet away.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #107
dallascowboyfan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Any alternative theories are bogus. No one would have went through the extra trouble of murdering a 6th victim and disposing their body no where near the others. Brad got to an airport and left the country. Keep in mind in 1976 there were no passport laws about leaving countries and no extradition treaties( not many at least). Honestly I would be surprised if he was living on the streets in Europe or at least not in luxury
If Bishop had killed a mobster in Yugoslavia during his time in the Army, don't you think there is any way at all a revenge plot could have taken place and been carried out the way it is described? Bishop wasn't just simply a 6th victim. If he had killed somebody with mob connections, there could have been a special plan for him, like seperating him from his family under the impression that he was going to start a new life, especially if 'those people' are capable of it, as it is said they are.
dallascowboyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #108
silverstang84
Frequent Poster

I just finished watching this case on youtube. What a grizzly murder to say the least. I have read through most of the posts in this thread and have to say there are a lot of reasonable theorys. I dont know what to think. I hope that if he is still out there somewhere, he gets caught and interviewed. Id like to know what the life of a fugitive is like and he managed not to get caught all these years.
silverstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #109
The Dutchman
Frequent Poster

I only had a chance to look over some of the excellent replies to this thread,
so please excuse me if I point out things others have already.

In this thread, someone mentioned Bishop left with only $400, hardly a decent amount of money to get started on an international trip (if he did that). However, bear in mind, he disappeared in 1974, and at the rate of inflation up to 2009, he left with $1,720 inflation-adjusted dollars. But I have to wonder if he didn't skip town with more money, as even that doesn't seem like quite a bit of money.

I think he left with no intention of starting a life with a new family, which is slightly different than John List. I believe List did find a new wife or girlfriend. I think Bishop just felt his family was, exactly as the show said, disruptive to his career and were bringing him down. That gives no person the right to murder his or her family, but that was Bishop's twisted logic.

I wonder if he didn't go on a trip through the Great Smokey Mountains to not only head for an airport, but also because he wanted a vacation before leaving for Italy (granted he went there). He just seemed so cocky and arrogant that it would be possible he felt he wouldn't get caught, and unfortunately, he has succeeded up until now.

I could go either way on the opinion of his co-worker seeing him two years later. I would recognize some of my old classmates (that I knew well) from 12 years ago, even if their name escaped me. So if the co-worker knew Bishop well enough, he might remember him through the beard. That, and why did the guy suddenly escape, running into people and knocking things over (if that is what happened) on the way? He could have claimed it was mistaken identity, but if he spoke, the co-worker would be tipped off. I think the immediate escape is a sign of guilt. I wouldn't run off like that if I mistaken for someone else.
The Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #110
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutchman
I could go either way on the opinion of his co-worker seeing him two years later. I would recognize some of my old classmates (that I knew well) from 12 years ago, even if their name escaped me. So if the co-worker knew Bishop well enough, he might remember him through the beard. That, and why did the guy suddenly escape, running into people and knocking things over (if that is what happened) on the way? He could have claimed it was mistaken identity, but if he spoke, the co-worker would be tipped off. I think the immediate escape is a sign of guilt. I wouldn't run off like that if I mistaken for someone else.
Yeah, and if the story is true, he cried out in English just before running away. I understand many people speak English in Italy, but the chances of someone yelling out of fear in a language that isn't their primary one are pretty slim. And of course, there'd be little reason to react like that if the man wasn't in fact Brad Bishop.

Someone once put forth the theory that this co-worker of Brad's may have been abetting him. It's an interesting idea. Another State Department head is better than one, after all.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #111
dallascowboyfan
Frequent Poster

Just wondering, if Brad killed his family and fled and is still alive somewhere, most likely somewhere in Europe like most people believe, what did he do about certain things he owned such as his degree from Yale? If he is living in Europe under a different identity, he surely can't take something like that with him and use it maybe as a reference when looking for work, right?
dallascowboyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #112
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascowboyfan
Just wondering, if Brad killed his family and fled and is still alive somewhere, most likely somewhere in Europe like most people believe, what did he do about certain things he owned such as his degree from Yale? If he is living in Europe under a different identity, he surely can't take something like that with him and use it maybe as a reference when looking for work, right?
I don't think he was or is looking for "high-profile" work if he was/is indeed in Europe. I would imagine him doing something easier to "hide" in, like manual labor or temporary work. Perhaps he's living as a street person, even.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #113
silver11
Occasional Poster

2 questions to everyone on the board:

Do you feel that Brad Bishop is still alive?

Assuming he did not committ suicide after the murders, do you believe he had an accomplice to help him get away?
silver11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #114
xxxxmattxxxx69
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver11

Assuming he did not committ suicide after the murders, do you believe he had an accomplice to help him get away?

I think he is alive despite he never has had any financial activity tracked to him. He did have an accomplice. Thats why he ditched his car and probably boarded a plane to Europe from Tennessee
xxxxmattxxxx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #115
MegtheEgg86

I'm 50/50 on it. I think the chance of him being dead is just as likely that he's alive.

I don't think he had an accomplice at present.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #116
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver11

I kind of feel that he's probably died from natural causes at this point.

I don't think he initially had an accomplice, such as a hired hitman or a girlfriend helping him out with the murders and/or body disposal. He may have later run into international friends who were "accomplices" after the fact.

----

My own question:

What was Brad Bishop's motive in murdering his entire family?

With John List, he said that his family, and daughter especially, were starting to live a life of sin and he sent them on to heaven before they condemned themselves to hell through their lifestyle choices. Yeah.... really weak motive, IMO.

With Bishop, he's been thought to have left the country and started a new life. He didn't profit financially from murdering his whole family. He didn't kill them, then try to stay here and start over without the people who he likely viewed as draining his finances or nagging him or pressuring him or whatever.

Since Bishop took off to europe, why didn't he just leave the country without killing his whole family? The end result was the same, only 5 people would still be alive, and he wouldn't be wanted for murder.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #117
silver11
Occasional Poster

My own question:

What was Brad Bishop's motive in murdering his entire family?

This question has never been answered to my liking. I saw the Unsolved Mysteries segment, the 20/20 piece, and read the book Not Wanted, and nothing seems to offer a satisfactory explanation as to why he would kill his family. I am just not buying the official story and of course we will never know the whole story. For such a famous murder case I am baffled by the lack of information about Brad Bishop and his motives.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #118
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

silver, what's your opinion on the "Not Wanted" book? I looked it up on amazon but it doesn't have any customer reviews yet.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #119
silver11
Occasional Poster

I thought the book was just fair and was disappointed. I wish he would have spent more time interviewing peole who knew Bishop and the family. Eventhough the author was a roomate of Bishop's at Yale, it doesnt seem like he really knew him that well. Here are a few things that I got out of the book: 1. That Bishop was unquestionably working for the CIA and had extensive training which would make it possible for him to move to another part of the world and fit in much better then the average person, 2. That he won an army service medal which is apparently a difficult award to win suggesting that he did something important and was not just a bureacrat with a desk job, 3. that famous FBI criminal profiler and bestselling author John Douglas said it was the most baffling case he ever studied and that Bishop had to have help in the getaway.

All in all the book did not do a good enough job of answering the questions I have. And here are some of my questions: 1. If Bishop had been planning this murder in advance, why would he use a blunt object and not a gun, which would be much easier?, 2. The explanation that Bishop snapped simply because he did not get a promotion seems incredily lame, and hardly explains why he would committ such atrocities 3. If Bishop did want to move back to Europe and there was an issue with his family over this, why not just disappear and move overseas leaving his family behind, and assume a new identity, which would not make him the prime suspect in an infamous murder case with the authorities looking for him, 4. If Bishop had an accomplice which seems likely, what happened to that individual?, 5 If Bishop killed his family because was bored working in the state department and felt constrained by his family, I find it hard to believe that if he is alive that many people would not have seen him and he wouldnt have been caught by now. I mean if he killed his family for those reasons, I doubt he is living in the middle of nowhere working at a desk or behind a computer. He would be someone looking to enjoy life and seemed like a bit of a Renaissance man.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #120
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Very interesting silver. Thanks for letting me know about the book. There's definitely some interesting stuff in there, but I'm sorry the author couldn't provide more info.

I was really of the opinion that Bishop acted completely alone, but with the FBI profiler publicly stating that he thinks there was an accomplice casts a bit of doubt on that for me.