Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #106
dynoguy88

Default reply

Can we please have this poster banned? Many of us have dreamed for years that Mark and Debbie would be reunited with their children. It's finally going to happen and we want to talk about it.

I do NOT want to have another thread locked because of the ugliness spewed from another member of the Maple family.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #107
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
Can we please have this poster banned? Many of us have dreamed for years that Mark and Debbie would be reunited with their children. It's finally going to happen and we want to talk about it.

I do NOT want to have another thread locked because of the ugliness spewed from a member of the Maple family.
Agreed!

I wonder if the person really is a member of the MAPLE family.

If they are, then I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #108
wiseguy182

another thing I wanted to point out regarding Bobby and Kristi not remembering is this: I don't think they forgot overnight. But 20 years is a long time, and I believe they gradually (over the course of many years) lost memory, coupled with what I said above about the mind blocking out trauma as a coping mechanism.

The Maples were in their early 50's during the abductions, whereas the majority of grandparents are in their 60's and up. So they were young enough to convince Bobbi and Kristi, and everyone else, that they were the parents.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #109
Obi Wan
Frequent Poster

In my humble opinion to avoid having the thread locked is just not respond to any post made by this "Family" member. Just ignore their posts and we can talk as usual to each other. If they get no reaction what so ever to anything they post with any luck they will go away. You can bet they would love to see another thread getting locked so the truth can not come out.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #110
Briony Coote
Forum Regular

Default Ignore Maple posters!

After what happened to our old thread, I swore that if any Maple posters turned up on new Baskin threads I would not respond to any of their comments. It takes two to quarrel.

So Obi Wan is right - ignore this poster and any other Maple relatives who turn up on our thread, or tell them very firmly: "We're not interested in arguing with you," and stick to it!

That will help stop the thread turning ugly and getting locked as the other one was. Besides, it is no use arguing with them - we learned that the hard way. Now the case is solved it is no time to quarrel but time to celebrate and wish our very best for the Baskins and their children!

Last edited by Briony Coote; 02-05-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Briony Coote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #111
dynoguy88

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briony Coote
After what happened to our old thread I swore that if any Maple posters turned up on new Baskin threads I would not respond to any of their comments. It takes two to quarrel.

So Obi Wan is right - ignore this poster and any other Maple relatives who turn up on our thread, or tell them very firmly: "We're not interested in arguing with you" and stick to it!

That will help stop the thread turning ugly and getting locked as the other one did. Besides, it is no use arguing with them - we learned that the hard way. Now the case is solved it is no time to quarrel but time to celebrate and wish our very best for the Baskins and their children!

Well said. And I agree. I'm too happy for the Baskins right now to argue with any members of their "family."

In other good news, Marvin Maple is slated to go before a California judge tomorrow (Thursday) on extradition charges. I hope there's an article posted about it.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #112
Briony Coote
Forum Regular

Default Message from Detective Sharp

When I heard the Baskin case had been solved, I decided to email Detective Sharp to congratulate him. Here is his response:

Thank you for the message. I can speak for the Sheriff's Department and other involved we appreciate the support. It took the courage of those witnesses to come forward and break this case. Like you, I can only hope that the children and the Parents can develop some type of a relationship.

God Bless

Lt. Bill Sharp
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #113
Briony Coote
Forum Regular

Well said. And I agree. I'm too happy for the Baskins right now to argue with any members of their "family."

Me too!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #114
WongStuff
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
In other good news, Marvin Maple is slated to go before a California judge tomorrow (Thursday) on extradition charges. I hope there's an article posted about it.
If I see one in the local paper, I'll post the link.
WongStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #115
dynoguy88

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by WongStuff
If I see one in the local paper, I'll post the link.
You rock! Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #116
gaf
Frequent Poster

I didn't see that this article had been posted.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20090204/...342/1002/rss01

This quote left in the comment section was interesting.

SparkOfSanity wrote:

Thank God! I remember passing notes with Christie back in second grade... none of us in the class realized what was going on when she disappeared, although our teacher tried to explain that she wouldn't be back the rest of the semester. I've followed this story for years, through Unsolved Mysteries and other mediums. I can't imagine what her and Bobby are going through right now, to have your reality shattered in an instant. This can't be easy for them, and I pray everything will be okay for them. I know their parents must be overjoyed just to know they are alive. I just can't imagine... 20 years... what a story...
gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #117
deuce5000
Frequent Poster

Another story:

http://www.montereyherald.com/breaking/ci_11631256

This answers one of my questions--apparently, Marvin Maple worked as a car salesman in San Jose--probably the perfect job, given that one can make a good deal of money (if talented), but doesn't necessarily need (proof of) a college education or experience. All that matters, at least from my understanding, is that you sell. It's also possibly an environment where one can get to know his co-workers on a superficial basis, but not worry about them learning too much about you if you don't want them to.

I find it very surprising that they apparently never left the area, even after the update that placed them in nearby Santa Clara. It would seem to me to be a risk that they'd be detected. Detective Goodwin explains it well, though:

Quote:
"They live in a large urban area where not a lot of people ask too many questions," Goodwin said.
That's California in a nutshell (I say that as someone who has lived there). Of course it could describe other places as well.
deuce5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #118
leafygreens
weird-o
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori aka ChrisSCrush
One story I always thought odd was that of Cynthia Ann Parker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_Ann_Parker Although her exact age is not known, she was at least 9 when captured by the Comanche and could have been as old as 10. She had little or no memories of her past--including language, though a child of 10 should be fluent--and may not have remembered her name until her uncle reminded her of it. She was happy in her new life and very unhappy in being taken from it. It seems she was not unique. It could be that some people choose not to remember while some can't help it. I tend to believe the Baskin children may have been subjected to some sort of mental coercion such as hypnosis or other very strong suggestion.

I am related to Cynthia Ann Parker on my dad's side! Very distantly!
leafygreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #119
ididn'tdoit
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleFamily
I've sat back and watched as you people bad mouthed my family, the MAPLE family (get it right!), but this takes the cake. Having only one side of this story, have you stopped to consider how your hateful, EVIL comments effect the family of the people you're spouting off about? Obviously not. You all badgered my sisters, Dipahead & Spit^Fire, for details that they were not in a position to give you and accused them of knowing more than they did. Not that they need to answer to any of you, anyway. This case is NOTHING to you other than NEWS. This is our FAMILY. Keep your speculation to yourselves.
MapleFamily, The Baskins were cleared of all charges including child molesting, according to Anita Flagg Bobby had been coached into saying he'd been abused, still you defend the Maples and accuse us of being evil and hateful? We all have to go by the facts here.
ididn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #120
kaytie
Occasional Poster

I have known the Baskins personally for years. I have spoken to Debbie several times over the last couple of days.

I cant tell you how overwhelming this all is. The Baskins are experiencing the miracle of miracles after 20 years of praying, fasting, searching, and never giving up hope.

Debbie and Mark are outstanding people. No way did they ever harm those kids. The 2 kids they have at home, Michael and Paul, are delightful.

There is no telling what Christi and Bobby were told and made to believe by their grandparents. As far as them not remembering anything....it's possible the trauma of being taken from their parents was so traumatic that they repressed all memories of their former lives just out of self preservation. The mind has the ability to do that. I, along with many others, continue to pray that they will be receptive to the truth and rejoin the Baskin family.
kaytie is offline   Reply With Quote