Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #76
steve84sd
Occasional Poster

drug testing existed back then and here is the detection times. you can see the discrepencys here on
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/...shtml#duration
meth may be the culprit or maybe coke. but in the 70s powder coke was expensive. rember kurt lived in a working class hood
im curious though if a urine analyisis was done.

however if someone can obtain his death certificate or autopsy report.

for his death certiciate you can contact vital statistics

for the autopsy report visit the police department station in the juridiction of cleveland were kurt was found
steve84sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #77
steve84sd
Occasional Poster

oops he died in the 80s I was not alive in 81, does anyone know if crack made it to ohio by 81 ?
steve84sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #78
StackTime
The primer is grey
Frequent Poster

Why is it that everyone here seems to be so willing to accept the "Crazy from Detroit" explanation for the creepy guy? Indeed, he may have been crazy, and from Detroit, but his lingering near the Sova's neighborhood and the quote/note with the storeperson warrants at least SOME grounded suspicion.

Also, the M-E seems to be out of it. Quoting Sherlock Holmes in an interview regarding a case which was gaining national attention? A "new" drug may have done Sova in. I have a hard time believing that the DET crazy knew nothing, and the M-E found everything.
StackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #79
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

How did the crazy from Detroit know when he would be found and that the cause would be undetermined? Would the store clerk have even had access to such information to invent this? (I forget whether the store clerk came forward before or after the body was found.)
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #80
LiveByTheSea
Frequent Poster

I feel bad for Kurt and his family but his death was the result of drugs, not the work of a killer. hell, even his mom didn't know that he drank. he probably did at the party. don't know why they brought in the Eugene kid, it was just an odd coincidence he was found the way Kurt was.
LiveByTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 AM   #81
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveByTheSea
I feel bad for Kurt and his family but his death was the result of drugs, not the work of a killer. hell, even his mom didn't know that he drank. he probably did at the party. don't know why they brought in the Eugene kid, it was just an odd coincidence he was found the way Kurt was.
So the people with Kurt when he O. D.'d dumped his body and took his shoe to make it look like the work of a shoe bandit killer?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #82
UMfan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftentheSilence
It's very possible that Kurt Sova had a preexisting heart condition that was never know about, and considering the time that this took place, it's very reasonable to assume that they didn't look for these things when doing Kurt's autopsy.
Does anyone here think that maybe Kurt's body should be exumed and a second autopsy be performed? It's been done on other victims that have been profiled on UM, such as Shannon Davis and Leroy Drieth. Just a thought.
UMfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #83
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Elvis was never exhumed--he was simply buried without his heart, which was preserved at the hospital where he died. That's how they were able to recently determine that a heart condition killed him--whatever role drugs may or may not have played. Probably this isn't the usual custom, though, and who knows what shape someone's heart would be in after being buried all that time.

As for Kurt, so they didn't know what killed him. Did they know how long he had been dead? Was it considerably less time than he had been missing?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #84
Cloberella
Occasional Poster

Hi, so I just saw this episode of UM on TV and googled "Kurt Sova" which led me to this thread. I read through it and there are alot of good ideas in here. This story is so fascinating! I think what happened is pretty close to what a poster on the previous page said. That Kurt took something at that party. The boy who "left him on the fence" more than likely gave it to him. What teenager thinks to go back inside to get his buddies jacket because it's "chilly" out? If he took Kurt out to get some air, he probably wouldn't think to get the jacket. The jacket seems like an after thought, a way to leave open a window for Kurt's disappearance from the party.

The combination of alcohol and whatever Kurt took probably caused some sort of reaction. He went and laid down in the basement of the duplex. The party went on, no one really thought about it. The next morning Kurt is still ill. Suzanne, being older doesn't want him to go home, fearful that whatever Kurt took would be traced back to her party (where there was underage drinking and drugs). The Jacket Friend agrees, since he is the one who gave Kurt the drug. They decide to just let him try and sleep it off, not wanting him to get medical attention for the same reasons listed above.

Kurt's mom visits during the day and is given the run around. When the woman calls her that night she's still trying to conceal the party because Kurt is not getting better. She lies to Kurt's mother.

Sometime after that, Kurt's condition worsens greatly. At this point they can only hope he gets better, since admitting they lied would only get them into even more trouble. Especially the woman who is possibly the only legal adult in the situation.

Kurt is reported missing, flyers go up and the pizza dude rats the woman out. She admits Kurt was there but that he left, and that's when Jacket dude comes forward with his thoughtful addition to the story.

Sometime after this, Kurt dies. Suzanne, the duplex owner, panics. They enlist a friend to pose as Crazy Detriot guy. They want him to make the death seem like foul play. The shoddy police work here allows their friend from out of town to get away with the deception.

At this point Duplex Dolly and Captain Jacket need to do something with Kurt's body. They can't decide on what to do and eventually go to bed. Panicked, Suzanne decides to call the Sova's in the middle of the night. When Jacket Man finds out, he freaks, grabs Kurt's body and leaves.

It takes him a little while to decide what to do with Kurt's body. Before he settles on the ravine, Mr. Sova searches the area and finds nothing. Then Kurt's body is dumped. The missing shoe either purposefully done to tie in with their skit involving the Crazy guy from Detroit, or because it was actually lost in Jacket man's haste to remove Kurt's body before Mr. Sova arrived at the duplex.

Now, Eugene. Perhaps he took the same fatal combination of drugs that Kurt did, and Jacket man, once again involved in the peddling of the poison, decided to just dump the body and remove the shoe this time, assuming they would connect the case to Kurt's, making it seem more like a serial killer (as that seems to be what he was going for with the roses and the poetry).

Boy I watch too much Law & Order. . . .

Has there been any new developments on this that anyone knows?
Cloberella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #85
StackTime
The primer is grey
Frequent Poster

That seems like a really solid theory you've laid out....good stuff
StackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #86
Cloberella
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackTime
That seems like a really solid theory you've laid out....good stuff

Thanks. I saw some people here lived in the area and were planning on looking into it to see if there were any updates -- did anyone ever find out anything more?
Cloberella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #87
UMfan77

Yeah, a few years back, someone that personally knew the Sova's posted here a few times and we never heard from him again.

Now, I have a question. Was it ever confirmed that Kurt ACTUALLY BROUGHT A JACKET TO THE PARTY? If not, then that kid that supposedly brought Kurt outside to the fence is lying.

The police really need to pick this case apart and re-investigate it.
UMfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #88
ms_bates
Frequent Poster

Here are my thoughts after re-watching this segment recently.

The woman who held the party did lie about having done so when first questioned by Kurt's mother. But I don't think that automatically points to her being involved in, or even knowing about of some sort of foul play involving Kurt. Think about it, there was a party at her home that involved lots of booze, most likely drugs, and some people of questionable legal age. While it is hardly the height of social responsibility to throw such a party, I can understand why she would initially lie when a parent came nosing around.

Why she would later call back and say that someone -maybe Kurt- was sleeping in her basement, I haven't the foggiest idea. If her place was the local party spot, then it is quite likely she did have people crashing there from time to time, perhaps friends of friends she didn't know very well. I do find that part of the segment to be very odd, though, and not to mention creepy when the dad goes into the dark basement!

Maybe she knows something, maybe she doesn't. I found it hard to form a strong opinion one way or another from the segment alone.

The supposed sighting of Kurt by a friend of his, I'm leaning toward that being a valid sighting. If the autopsy results were correct, then Kurt certainly did survive the night of the party. Maybe he hooked up with some people at that party and spent the next few days doing drugs. Eventually, he did overdose or suffered some fatal complication and they dumped his body to rid themselves of any possible responsibility or consequences.

Now, here is where I am confused. I know the pathologist said that Kurt did not have enough alcohol in his system for it to be fatal, but what about drugs? Did they run toxicology screenings back in 1981? You'd think that would be an obvious thing to check for when a healthy young man dies, with no apparent signs of foul play. It would be interesting to have another forensic pathologist take a look at the autopsy report now. Perhaps all the advances in forensics over the past twenty-eight years would shed new light on the findings back then.

Last edited by ms_bates; 01-13-2009 at 10:39 PM.
ms_bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #89
justins5256

The following is an old post from someone who claims to have known the Sova family and Kurt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah
but during that time the neighborhood was polluted with drugs and everyone was doing them, I'll have to read through the info, but I remember something someone said at the time but it was never proven, the guy I'm thinking of was a well known tough and dealer, there was a party every night and this person preyed on his type, KS was a wannabe type, or hanger on, has it been said if he had any amount of money on him? Where he was found in Newburgh Hts, is just outside of Cleveland and the area he was found in is a dump next to the steel mill, does anyone know the name of the party host, I knew of some Detroit people who were heavy PCP users and dealers around this time, but older than KS
My gut feeling is that Kurt hooked up with some druggies at that party, possibly people who were not his usual circle of friends. He got drunk or stoned or both. His parents seemed oblivious to his wild ways so I could totally see Kurt waking up the next morning and possibly being too hung over or stoned to return home to face his parents. I wonder if these people convinced Kurt to come hang out with them and do more drugs. This would account for the sighting of Kurt after the party. I also wonder if maybe "they" had some new drug or substance that they wanted to test out but didn't want to take it themselves so they used Kurt as a guinea pig of sorts. Obviously, I'm majorly speculating here but this guy says Kurt was a "wannabe" or "hanger on" type. Kurt takes the substance and has a reaction to it and dies. The druggies panic and bring Kurt back to the duplex and have the party host call the parents with this bogus story about Kurt possibly being in the basement. I'm thinking that she must have known he wasn't really sleeping in the basement because if we follow the timeframe, he would be dead by this point. Perhaps they took him to the ravine at that time thinking the parents would think Kurt - still alive - got up and wandered off. Maybe they were hoping it would be a day or two before his body was found in that ravine and that takes the party host out of the hot seat because she DID attempt to call Kurt's parents for help. But, if we follow their logic, Kurt went out on his own and died of some other cause and everyone involved before that is absolved.

Just a theory...

Now, who can explain the eerily similar death of Eugene Kivet?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #90
egswanso
Forum Regular

I just saw this case again on UM and have to say it doesn't seem that mysterious to me... kid ODs at party (drug, drink, both), kids panic and try to hide it.

Maybe he died right away, maybe he lingered, but to me, that seems the simplest, most logical explaination, and explains most all of the points presented. Albeit, it is one most unpleasant to the parents, so I can understand their unwillingness to accept it.

As for Eugene, the UM segment really didn't present much of a case that the two cases have anything to do with each other beyond the fact that the boys were acquainted and some general similarities.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote