Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #76
Jesiqs
First Time Poster

Default Finally!

I have wondered about this case for years after I first saw it televised. I googled forever trying to read more and refresh myself on the case and today I succeeded!
Anyway--
I am 98% positive Katherine fell off of her moms Suv.
1.) The too hot car/broken thumb theory seems to indicate EXACTLY why she fell off in the first place.
2) The bloodhounds most likely tracked her scent to the field because she had been there before.
3)Assuming the mom is correct in how she found Katherine ( neatly layed out), I see this as just a coincidence. The speed limit was 25, so if the mom was going 25-30mph and Katherine fell off, she probably literally just fell...didnt roll or bounce--the car wasnt going fast enough.
4) It was less than an hour after they dropped her off when they found her. They came home, unloaded the groceries, and then the brother went to lok for her for 5 mins..mom called the cops then jumped in her car and circled the road..a total of about 45 mins max.
5.)Picking up someone, putting them in the car and driving without having them securely strapped probably isnt a good idea when that person has a severe skull fracture.

Sorry for the essay
I think it would be extremely beneficial to see the autopsy report. But if there were no reports of car parts on the road and no evidence of microscopic car paint,metal on Katherine then she probably wasnt hit by a car ( although this would be my second theory?). It seems that hitting her head on the gravel road would leave bits of gravel and dirt in her hair, and wounds. If she was hit with a blunt object ( such as during a kidnapping), or with a fist, then this would have been apparent and look different then busting her head on the road.
Ok I need to stop now!
Jesiqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #77
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesiqs
I have wondered about this case for years after I first saw it televised. I googled forever trying to read more and refresh myself on the case and today I succeeded!
Anyway--
I am 98% positive Katherine fell off of her moms Suv.
1.) The too hot car/broken thumb theory seems to indicate EXACTLY why she fell off in the first place.
2) The bloodhounds most likely tracked her scent to the field because she had been there before.
3)Assuming the mom is correct in how she found Katherine ( neatly layed out), I see this as just a coincidence. The speed limit was 25, so if the mom was going 25-30mph and Katherine fell off, she probably literally just fell...didnt roll or bounce--the car wasnt going fast enough.
4) It was less than an hour after they dropped her off when they found her. They came home, unloaded the groceries, and then the brother went to lok for her for 5 mins..mom called the cops then jumped in her car and circled the road..a total of about 45 mins max.
5.)Picking up someone, putting them in the car and driving without having them securely strapped probably isnt a good idea when that person has a severe skull fracture.

Sorry for the essay
I think it would be extremely beneficial to see the autopsy report. But if there were no reports of car parts on the road and no evidence of microscopic car paint,metal on Katherine then she probably wasnt hit by a car ( although this would be my second theory?). It seems that hitting her head on the gravel road would leave bits of gravel and dirt in her hair, and wounds. If she was hit with a blunt object ( such as during a kidnapping), or with a fist, then this would have been apparent and look different then busting her head on the road.
Ok I need to stop now!
Great post! I agree with the theory that she died from falling off her mother's SUV. It just makes more sense than the others. Chances are if someone kidnapped her they were try to get her out of the area as soon as possible and would have put her securely in their car and they would have been out of the area in seconds. You're right about the dogs tracking her scent there and I had never thought of that before....her and her brother had probably played there before which would explain that.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #78
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I'm digging up another old thread out of the cobwebs here....

Poor little Katherine's case is so sad. She was just a little girl enjoying a summer day and bit of big girl freedom of getting the mail for her mom. What a terrible thing to have happen.

I just read a few posts back where Katherine's mother called police to tell them that her six year old has just gone missing and they told her they couldn't do anything for 24 hours or 72 hours or some such nonsense!

Good grief! This happened in 1996! We KNEW about child predators by then. We didn't have our heads in the sand anymore. And a six year certainly wasn't a troubled teen who had run away from home and would be back the next day!

There's no excuse for that! Can you imagine calling 911 to say that you just dropped your six year old off at the neighborhood mailboxes and now she's missing, and they said sorry, you'll have to wait a day or two before we can start looking for her?
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #79
cmyweb
Frequent Poster

TracyLynnS...this is one of those cases that really stuck with me over the years. I feel terrible for the family and their loss, but I also never really suspected this was anything more than a tragic accident.

It seems to me the falling off the SUV was the most likely answer.
cmyweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #80
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Yes, cmyweb, I think that's the most likely thing that happened. It was just a terrible accident.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #81
LannaDC
Occasional Poster

Confused

not sure bout anyone else but the idea of her climbing on the back of the vehicle and holding on while they drove off seems to me she wouldnt get very far to where she ended up being found without having a good grip on anything cause she wouldn't be tall enough to hold on good at the top and or the door opener unless she was very tall for her age and im short myself and not tall enough to hold on good to the top just an idea
LannaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #82
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I wonder if maybe she wasn't standing on the back bumper and holding on to the hot handle of the dark back doors at all, as the accident reconstructionist surmized...

But could it be possible that she just sat on the back bumper of the big SUV (pretty big bumpers on some of them, big enough for a 7 year old) and she just held on to that or maybe held on to a trailer hitch that was connected to the bumper?

That would explain why her mom didn't see her in the rear view mirror, and also, a chrome bumper isn't going to be nearly has hot as a dark painted car in the TX heat.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #83
LannaDC
Occasional Poster

Confused

It might be just me but the thought of her climbing on the back of the vehicle and holding on doesn't seem to be without hanging on for the time to be where she was found cause its not set up to someone hanging on to the back and it doesnt stike me to be tall enough at her age to hang on good to the top of the vehicle and the way the door handle isnt a good way to hold on for the length and distance to be found where she ended up unless she is tall for her age and im short myself and i would findd it very hard to hang on for any length of time and depending on how fast the mom was driving as well just a thought
LannaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #84
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Lanna,

What I meant was that maybe Katherine sat on the back bumper. On an SUV, the bumper is low enough to the ground that a 7 year old can sit on it comfortably. But an adult can't. An adult won't have enough room from the back of the bumper out to their thighs. That's not enough support for an adult's bottom, and it would make them sort of pitch forward.

But for a seven year old, they are small enough for the back bumper to fit them like a little chair. All she would have to do is sit on the bumper with her back against the back of the SUV doors, hold on to the bumper next to her knees or hold on to the trailer hitch next to her for support.

Katherine wouldn't have had to climb up onto the SUV and hold on to the back of it or hold on to the door handle to do this.

I'm just thinking, if she actually got onto the vehicle and fell off at some point, this could be a much more realistic way for her to do that, rather than for her to climb onto the back, and stand on the bumper, with not much to hold on to, as the accident reconstructionist was talking about.

edit: I just went back and read the story on the unsolved site. The Korzilius' investigator only considered two theories. One was that Katherine stood on the back bumper and held on to the SUV, when there was clearly no place to hold on to AND her mother would have seen her in the rear view mirror. They discounted that theory completely and never considered that Katherine could have sat on the bumper rather than stood on it. The other theory was that she was abducted and murdered and dumped in the middle of the street in her own neighborhood. Katherine's mother has another theory, that she was hit by a hit and run driver while she was walking in the neighborhood, but the autopsy report states that her injuries are inconsistent with a hit and run and ARE consisting with falling from or being thrown from a moving vehicle.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #85
atomicfizz
Forum Regular

Great points TracyLynn!! I never knew what to make of this case but your post makes a lot of sense to me. I can totally see the kid sitting on the bumper and using the trailer hitch or something else to hold on. I bet that is what happened.
atomicfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #86
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfizz
Great points TracyLynn!! I never knew what to make of this case but your post makes a lot of sense to me. I can totally see the kid sitting on the bumper and using the trailer hitch or something else to hold on. I bet that is what happened.
I never thought of it until Lanna mentioned Katherine not being tall enough to reach around to hold onto to anything. Then I started thinking, what do kids do around cars parked in the driveway? How do they climb around on them? etc..

Then I realized, I've seen lots of kids playing in their driveways and sometimes sitting on the back bumper of the car parked in the driveway. I even did it when I was a kid.

That led me to think that maybe Katherine did the same thing, but lost her grip going around the first sharp curve in the road.

The unsolved.com site has a map of the neighborhood showing the direction Katherine was supposed to walk, compared to the direction her mother drove the car.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:41 AM   #87
Wamisto
Frequent Poster

Just watched the episode, and as always, came straight to this message board right after to see if it has been solved, and if not, what everyone else has said.

Okay, a lot of you are not going to like this, but I think in the interests of solving the case, it needs to be mentioned.

The thought occurred to me that perhaps, the murderer is ... gasp ... the mother. The only evidence for abduction is the bloodhounds, which most of you have discounted anyway. No witnesses or physical evidence. The only thing we are going by here is the testimony of the mother.

Is it possible that Katherine did or said something to upset her mother, and her mother responded by beating on her, and Katherine, to espape the beating, opened the door and lept out? Her mother said in the segment, "having driven her to emergency before . . .". My question is, "how many times had she taken her daugher to emergency", and "why did she need to go to emergency?" If the mother had beaten the child before, I think she was the most likely suspect. However, I don't know if there was a pattern.

We were all curious as to why the son was crying when he didn't find her. Most found that odd. Keep this in mind: when someone lies about what happened, there are usually true elements that get "twisted" a bit to fit the story. I have no doubt the boy was crying. However, what might have been his crying over being told to keep silent (or else ...) after just seeing his sister killed might have been "twisted" into him crying because he went out and did not find his missing sister. This sounds like one of those cases where a true part of the story might have been "twisted". Otherwise why would the boy cry? You'd think he would have assumed she would be at the neighbour's house - the one they ended up checking anyway. Personally, at that age, I would have been mystified, and would have assumed a dozen things (she is hiding and playing a prank, she stopped off at the neighbour's house, she stopped by the vacant lot and is playing around there, etc.), but I would not have been thinking abduction or murder - at least, that is not what would be on the forefront of my mind.

I do not know if the police ever investigated this angle, but considering the combination of Mr. Korzilius being as rich and famous as he was, and our general sympathy for and trust of a distraught mother's accounting of events surrounding the murder of her daughter, I might think that this possibility could be easily overlooked or dismissed.

Awsi Dooger said the simplest explanation is the most likely, and crystaldawn seconded that. To me, this is a more likely explanation than her grabbing onto the SUV, and certainly more so than the abduction (which did not end up in a sexual assault, nor a concealing of the body). What does everyone else think?
Wamisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #88
wonderfalls
Frequent Poster

If Katherine's injuries were consistent with falling/being pushed from a moving vehicle, is it possible that someone did grab her and pull her into the car but she jumped out, hit her head and the guy saw how badly injured she was and left her?

Someone who is more familiar with the map of the area might be able to say whether anyone trying to leave the area would've been on the part of the road where she was found.
wonderfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #89
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

I don't suppose her clothing was examined for stranger DNA.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #90
mattc
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamisto
Just watched the episode, and as always, came straight to this message board right after to see if it has been solved, and if not, what everyone else has said.

Okay, a lot of you are not going to like this, but I think in the interests of solving the case, it needs to be mentioned.

The thought occurred to me that perhaps, the murderer is ... gasp ... the mother. The only evidence for abduction is the bloodhounds, which most of you have discounted anyway. No witnesses or physical evidence. The only thing we are going by here is the testimony of the mother.

Is it possible that Katherine did or said something to upset her mother, and her mother responded by beating on her, and Katherine, to espape the beating, opened the door and lept out? Her mother said in the segment, "having driven her to emergency before . . .". My question is, "how many times had she taken her daugher to emergency", and "why did she need to go to emergency?" If the mother had beaten the child before, I think she was the most likely suspect. However, I don't know if there was a pattern.

We were all curious as to why the son was crying when he didn't find her. Most found that odd. Keep this in mind: when someone lies about what happened, there are usually true elements that get "twisted" a bit to fit the story. I have no doubt the boy was crying. However, what might have been his crying over being told to keep silent (or else ...) after just seeing his sister killed might have been "twisted" into him crying because he went out and did not find his missing sister. This sounds like one of those cases where a true part of the story might have been "twisted". Otherwise why would the boy cry? You'd think he would have assumed she would be at the neighbour's house - the one they ended up checking anyway. Personally, at that age, I would have been mystified, and would have assumed a dozen things (she is hiding and playing a prank, she stopped off at the neighbour's house, she stopped by the vacant lot and is playing around there, etc.), but I would not have been thinking abduction or murder - at least, that is not what would be on the forefront of my mind.

I do not know if the police ever investigated this angle, but considering the combination of Mr. Korzilius being as rich and famous as he was, and our general sympathy for and trust of a distraught mother's accounting of events surrounding the murder of her daughter, I might think that this possibility could be easily overlooked or dismissed.

Awsi Dooger said the simplest explanation is the most likely, and crystaldawn seconded that. To me, this is a more likely explanation than her grabbing onto the SUV, and certainly more so than the abduction (which did not end up in a sexual assault, nor a concealing of the body). What does everyone else think?
Interesting idea for sure, but somehow I just feel that falling from the back of the SUV seems to be the most likely scenario. I think we would have to have more information to decide if the mom killed her. For example, as you said, was there any history of abuse at all, etc. I am quite sure that if the mother had taken the child to the hospital in the past for injuries related to abuse, then the police would have absolutely focused on the mother as a suspect. I imagine that the mother was questioned for sure, although you might be right that her fame and status allowed her to slip through the cracks.

I think you make quite a few assertions that are speculation (such as the "twisted" response by the brother). Overall, I think that the most reasonable conclusion, based on the evidence, is that she fell off the back of the SUV, particularly since, as TracyLynn said, the place where she fell was at the first sharp curve in the street.

Sad case.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote