Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Rick and Morty Season 4; ABC Midseason 2020 Schedule
Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #316
Hasho
Frequent Poster

A very good podcast about EAR/ONS http://casefilepodcast.com/case-53-e...t-1976-part-1/
Hasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #317
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasho
It's funny that you mention this since I am in the process of listening to them right now. In fact, I just finished Part 3 last night and plan to listen to Part 4 either tonight or tomorrow. It's been absolutely fantastic thus far and is the most comprehensive look at this case I've ever seen or heard. I've heard several details already that I'd never been aware of and I have studied this case quite thoroughly. Highly recommended.
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #318
flytrapp
Forum Regular

I, too, have been listening to this podcast. I think I found out about it because I believe Robin mentioned it on one of The Trail Went Cold episodes, at least that's where I think I learned of it. Anyway, it's a very detailed and terrifying podcast.
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #319
Hasho
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Jock
It's funny that you mention this since I am in the process of listening to them right now. In fact, I just finished Part 3 last night and plan to listen to Part 4 either tonight or tomorrow. It's been absolutely fantastic thus far and is the most comprehensive look at this case I've ever seen or heard. I've heard several details already that I'd never been aware of and I have studied this case quite thoroughly. Highly recommended.
I am normally not fan of podcasts as I tend to zone out or do other things and miss out on a lot of stuff, but this was really caught my attention. I never knew that one of the detectives actually saw a guy on patrol that looked very suspicious and out of place, but they never questioned him because of a court warrant pending on another suspect and a junior officer in the car. Insane! Imagine if it really was the EAR.. So many lives would have been spared. I just finished listening to the first part. Terrifying stuff.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #320
Hasho
Frequent Poster

Casefile who made the podcast we discussed above released this 188 page magazine about EAR/ONS. Very interesting. I recently got re-interested in this case after a few years sabbatical. I wonder if they are any closer to finding out his identity. With technology advancing and his DNA saved I think sooner or later we will find out who he is.

http://casefilepodcast.com/wp-conten...S_magazine.pdf
Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 AM   #321
soundandvision
Frequent Poster

Supposedly there will be new info released in the CNN/HLM five part series coming early next year. I'm personally hoping they use DNA phenotyping to create a more definitive idea of what he looked like.
soundandvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #322
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp
I was thinking the same thing re: Michelle McNamara. I thought it was nice to give her a bit of a "shout out", but there are lots of other people who are far more relevant. There are also so many more case "facts" that could have been addressed instead of wasting time on McNamara. I feel bad for saying that, but it's true. I have read Sudden Terror and there are some really terrifying facts in that book.
I agree with you Flytrapp.

Honestly, McNamara is nothing more than a hanger-on in this case. I remember when she came around, decades after the fact, and was trying to rebrand ONS/EAR as "The Golden State Killer". Uh, no. People have known him as Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist for over 30 years now. She doesn't get to rename him after all this time and have everyone suddenly call him by the new (and might I add generic) nickname.

Nothing bugs me more than people who try to put their own personal stamp on old things when it isn't warranted. If they have something new to contribute, that's totally fine.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #323
Awsi Dooger

Michelle McNamara was tons more than a hanger-on in this case. That is simply an uninformed opinion. McNamara reached out to current detectives, former detectives and online researchers of all description. She pushed and pushed until she was so respected and relentless that details of the investigation were released to her that never had been made available otherwise. Her Los Angeles Magazine series of articles in 2013 contained many previously unknown aspects like the Punishment map, Custer assignment and Mad at the World essay. Those items were not necessarily left by EAR but they were part of the case file yet nobody knew about them. Subsequently they have generated incredible scrutiny. Overblown, IMO, at least in relation to their likely value.

McNamara caught the researcher bug and became determined to solve the vase via person of interest. That is the common trap. It partially derailed her contribution, but that's merely my opinion. Her book was partially devoted to the so-called "best lead in 40 years" involving some woman who took a strange car ride with a strange guy for several hours in 1973. It is essentially the Kathleen Johns episode of the EAR case. That lead fizzled out and turned out to be nothing. But it happened months ago and long after McNamara's death. I'm not sure how McNamara's finished book will deal with that.

Anyway, I have been posting frequently elsewhere regarding this case. My stuff is not always appreciated but that's the norm.

There is a new book by Kat Winters that is 600 pages long and reportedly the most detailed EAR account. Winters is very new to the case but widely respected on the proboards and Reddit devoted to this case. It is somewhat remarkable she evolved from learning about the case to author of the most highly praised book in such a short time...not much longer than a year.

When I noticed this thread had been bumped I assumed it was due to tonight's People Magazine episode. It will air at 10 PM Eastern on Investigation Discovery and deal with EAR ONS. That case is also mentoned on the cover of the recent People Magazine, the one with Mandy Moore on the cover. People has a long online article devoted to the case penned by another bulldog researcher who has taken over for McNamara.

The best coverage should be that CNN/Headline News multi part series, scheduled for 2018.

It's like one last push is being made to identify this guy, while the survivors are still alive and can appreciate it. Many of the survivors and family members are contributing to the accelerated media and online coverage.
Awsi Dooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #324
flytrapp
Forum Regular

Hmmm....I with Wiseguy on this one regarding Michelle McNamara. All of the "items" that she apparently was instrumental in getting released, well, I'm pretty sure all of those details were shared in Sudden Terror (although it has been a while since I read it).

One thing I will say for Michelle, because her husband is a celebrity she is likely to get paid more attention to by the media, even just a little bit more, than a regular person like myself. So if her celebrity association brings a bit more interest to the case, fantastic. After all these years any new attention is good attention. Remember in the early 90s when Madonna would talk about AIDS awareness at her concerts? Well, that's a celebrity bringing something to a platform where it might not be heard or paid attention to, so good on Madonna. She was famous, and used her fame to bring awareness. When it comes to Michelle, (and again, I feel bad saying this) it wasn't her fame bringing attention to a case, it was her attention to a case in efforts to get fame. That's just my opinion, and I think that is why she has sometimes rubbed people the wrong way. As Wiseguy said, why the rebranding to Golden State Killer? Is it so necessary to Michelle to have put her personal touch on a case by renaming the killer? She's not LE, she hasn't worked on the case, etc. A little bit narcissistic to blow in after a year of investigating and appoint yourself in charge of making a name change.

Anyway, I think the whole point was that recent program focused so much on her instead of people extremely relevant, some of whom have spent years and years of their lives trying to catch this guy.
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #325
unsolved1981
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I remember when she came around, decades after the fact, and was trying to rebrand ONS/EAR as "The Golden State Killer". Uh, no.
Yeah, I agree with this totally. It doesn't even really make any sense - there are a ton of serial killers who could be called that for the simple fact that they operated in California. It smacked of a lame attempt to 'own' the case.

I prefer Original Night Stalker simply because it can be applied to either the rapes or the later rape/murders.
unsolved1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #326
wiseguy182

I agree in full with flytrapp and unsolved1981.

I consider The Quester Files to be the definitive source on ONS/EAR. How that guy got all that information, I don't know.

Everything else is just amateur kid stuff.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #327
Corkys-Place
Unsolved Mysteries Fan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182

I consider The Quester Files to be the definitive source on ONS/EAR. How that guy got all that information, I don't know.
At one stage I thought the entire thing was written by EAR/ONS himself!
Corkys-Place is offline   Reply With Quote