Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital
Katey Sagal Joins The Conners; CBS All Access Comedy No Activity Gets Guests for Season 3


New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #31
Zebra 3
Striped Tomato
Senior Member
 
Zebra 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 26, 2002
Location: Bay City
Posts: 5,517
Wink Re: Re: 'All in the Family', 'Maude' & 'Good Times'

Quote:
Originally posted by TVShow Analyzer
I have moved past the topic of Good Times not being a spinoff because i proved my point with several articles...
Quote:
Good Times, which ran on CBS-TV from 1974-1979, was a spin-off of the All In the Family spin-off, Maude. (Source)
Quote:
Good Times was a spin-off show of the hit series Maude. (Source)
Zebra 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #32
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,917
Default Re: Re: Re: 'All in the Family', 'Maude' & 'Good Times'

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra 3

Those Sources are incurrate.
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:18 PM   #33
Zebra 3
Striped Tomato
Senior Member
 
Zebra 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 26, 2002
Location: Bay City
Posts: 5,517
Wink Re: Re: Re: Re: 'All in the Family', 'Maude' & 'Good Times'

Quote:
Originally posted by TVShow Analyzer
Those Sources are incurrate.
Quote:
Norman Lear's groundbreaking sitcom All in the Family begat the Bea Arthur comedy Maude, and from Maude came the 1974 hit Good Times. Technically, Good Times is a spin-off of a spin-off. (Source)
And this from Good Times' first season DVD back cover.
Quote:
Good Times was that rare hit show which was a spin-off of a spin-off (TV's All in the Family begat Maude, which in turn spawned Good Times on CBS). (Source)
And to nail the coffin shut on this nonsense, here's the same quote from Sony/Columbia TriStar's own site.
Quote:
GOOD TIMES was that rare hit show which was a spin-off of the spin-off (TV's "All in the Family" begat "Maude," which in turn spawned GOOD TIMES on CBS). (Source)
Zebra 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:25 AM   #34
60's child
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 18, 2005
Posts: 3
Default Finally

Thank goodness that case is finally closed.
60's child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 AM   #35
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60's child
Thank goodness that case is finally closed.


Yes it was finally concluded after 3 years that Good Times was never ever a spinoff
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #36
Sal
Member
Senior Member
 
Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 20, 2001
Location: Oakville, Ont. Canada
Posts: 3,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
You're lying, you said you read one article from Ebony magazine that stated that. Besides, even if you were telling the truth and read several articles, you did say that only ONE article actually said Good Times was not a spinoff. So HOW COULD SEVERAL ARTICLES BACK UP YOUR STUPID STATEMENT?!? I swear Solomon, you pretend to know more than anyone else about sitcoms, but you really don't know SH#T!


I agree with that last sentence 100%! Except you forgot to mention how utterly annoying he really is.



In the interest of fairness, however, I'll propose a deal. If anyone can prove to me, without a doubt, that "Good Times" is not a spinoff, I'll prove to them right back that it is! How does that sound?
__________________
Classic TV Online Cartoons
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #37
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
I agree with that last sentence 100%! Except you forgot to mention how utterly annoying he really is.



In the interest of fairness, however, I'll propose a deal. If anyone can prove to me, without a doubt, that "Good Times" is not a spinoff, I'll prove to them right back that it is! How does that sound?

Good Times was created before Maude. The show Good Times was created in 1971-THE END!!!!!


The Analyzer of TV Shows
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:52 PM   #38
Sal
Member
Senior Member
 
Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 20, 2001
Location: Oakville, Ont. Canada
Posts: 3,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVShow Analyzer
Good Times was created before Maude. The show Good Times was created in 1971-THE END!!!!!


The Analyzer of TV Shows

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! (As usual!)

The first episode of "Maude" aired on Sept. 12, 1972. The third episode, "Maude Meets Florida", aired two weeks later, as is shown here:

http://epguides.com/Maude/

http://www.tvtome.com/Maude/eplist.html

http://www.tvtome.com/Maude/season1.html#ep3


The first episode of "Good Times" aired on Feb. 8, 1974, or about a year and a half after "Maude", as you can see here:

http://www.tvtome.com/GoodTimes/eplist.html

http://epguides.com/GoodTimes/

Would you please do everyone a favor and at least do a little research before you write something? That would be much appreciated.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 PM   #39
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! (As usual!)

The first episode of "Maude" aired on Sept. 12, 1972. The third episode, "Maude Meets Florida", aired two weeks later, as is shown here:

http://epguides.com/Maude/

http://www.tvtome.com/Maude/eplist.html

http://www.tvtome.com/Maude/season1.html#ep3


The first episode of "Good Times" aired on Feb. 8, 1974, or about a year and a half after "Maude", as you can see here:

http://www.tvtome.com/GoodTimes/eplist.html

http://epguides.com/GoodTimes/

Would you please do everyone a favor and at least do a little research before you write something? That would be much appreciated.



Can you read? I said that Good Times was CREATED in 1971 by Eric Monte, a Chicago native. I didn't say the show made it's debut on CBS in 1971-LOL
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #40
Sal
Member
Senior Member
 
Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 20, 2001
Location: Oakville, Ont. Canada
Posts: 3,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVShow Analyzer
Can you read? I said that Good Times was CREATED in 1971 by Eric Monte, a Chicago native. I didn't say the show made it's debut on CBS in 1971-LOL
If that's the case, as proven by this little item:


http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0070991/
http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt00709...redits#writers


then why did it take until 1974 to see the light of day on network TV, after Florida Evans had appeared on "Maude" for one full season before getting her own show, which, by definition, qualifies as a spinoff? Obviously, the influence of Norman Lear and Bud Yorkin helped a lot, otherwise, it might not have aired at all. The idea for the show may not have started out as a spinoff---if it had aired earlier, it would not have been one, that's for sure---but that's what it turned into, all because of Lear's heavy influence, and the circumstances that allowed it to be shown after---not before---"Maude".
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #41
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
If that's the case, as proven by this little item:


http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0070991/
http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt00709...redits#writers


then why did it take until 1974 to see the light of day on network TV, after Florida Evans had appeared on "Maude" for one full season before getting her own show, which, by definition, qualifies as a spinoff? Obviously, the influence of Norman Lear and Bud Yorkin helped a lot, otherwise, it might not have aired at all. The idea for the show may not have started out as a spinoff---if it had aired earlier, it would not have been one, that's for sure---but that's what it turned into, all because of Lear's heavy influence, and the circumstances that allowed it to be shown after---not before---"Maude".



This is the last thing I will say in regards to GT not being a spinoff, The show was about Eric Monte's life experiences in Chicago. How is that connected to Maude? The END
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:32 PM   #42
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Solomon I read back some of my older posts and I apologize for some of the things I said. As far as GT goes, I see both sides of the argument. Was GT meant to be a spinoff? No. However, Lear used the character of Florida Evans to head the new sitcom. The question I ask to you Solomon is if this show was not a spinoff, then why use the character of Florida. Why not a new name like Mary Monte or something like that?
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #43
SimpsonsFan
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2004
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 826
Default

Was Gloria a spin-off of All In The Family or Archie Bunker's Place?
__________________
I miss Urkel, 3rd Rock, and the old Simpsons!
SimpsonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #44
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonsFan
Was Gloria a spin-off of All In The Family or Archie Bunker's Place?
Archie Bunkers Place is All in the Family so Gloria was a spinoff of All In The Family.
TVFactFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:38 AM   #45
memarkw
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2005
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVShow Analyzer
Out of the Blue which premeired in the Fall of 1979. The second episode of Out of the Blue crossed over with Happy Days. Lot of people label Out of the Blue as a Happy Days spinoff but it's no way connected to Happy Days. The character (Random) on Out of the Blue, never appeared on Happy Days before 1979. The Crossover attempt was made to Launch the New Comedy Out of the Blue.

Also Out of the Blue is not a spinoff of Mork and Mindy. Mork appeared on the first epsode of Out of the Blue to boost ratings.
I found this out as well. I'll stand with you on OotB not being a spin-off of either show.
memarkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.