Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Fall Pilot Review: Bob Hearts Abishola - Premieres Monday (Sept. 23); ABC Fall Pilot Review: mixed-ish - Premieres Tuesday (Sept. 24)
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 23, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-05-2003, 11:47 PM   #31
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasE

I'll e-mail you. I taped them back in 1989-1990 and 1992-1993 off BET. BTW, it will be $14 per episode.............LOL. I just wanted get your reaction with that last comment.
LMAO-if you could have seen my face when I read $14. LOL
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #32
Brian
Forum Veteran

OK, today I just got a response from somebody who worked for Norman Lear's company during the 1970s and here is what he had to say about this:

Well, "Good Times" WAS a spin-off of Maude. It qualifies as a spin-off simply because the character of Flordia Evans first was on Maude then was moved to her own series, "Good Times". That qualifies as a spin-off in every traditional sense of the term.

Now, the fact that the character of J.J. quickly evolved into "the star" of the show may make some believe "Good Times" was a show in its own right. But, "GT" was a spin-off of "Maude".
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:16 PM   #33
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BJL
OK, today I just got a response from somebody who worked for Norman Lear's company during the 1970s and here is what he had to say about this:

Well, "Good Times" WAS a spin-off of Maude. It qualifies as a spin-off simply because the character of Flordia Evans first was on Maude then was moved to her own series, "Good Times". That qualifies as a spin-off in every traditional sense of the term.

Now, the fact that the character of J.J. quickly evolved into "the star" of the show may make some believe "Good Times" was a show in its own right. But, "GT" was a spin-off of "Maude".

I can't believe this is still an issue. Producer Alan Manings stated that the character Florida Evans was WRITTEN OUT of Maude instead of TRANSITIONED OFF MAUDE. Good Times is not a spinoff.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:36 PM   #34
*PinkLady*

Just admit that you're wrong for once, Solomon.
*PinkLady* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:39 PM   #35
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by *~PinkLady59~*
Just admit that you're wrong for once, Solomon.

I'm not wrong because I have the 1974 article to prove it. Just wish i post it so that this issue would be done.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #36
Brian
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON

I'm not wrong because I have the 1974 article to prove it. Just wish i post it so that this issue would be done.
I got this information from a person who worked for Norman Lear's production company. It's like getting it straight from the horse's mouth. And didn't you read it thoroughly?

"It qualifies as a spin-off simply because the character of Flordia Evans first was on Maude then was moved to her own series, "Good Times". That qualifies as a spin-off in every traditional sense of the term."

And I am really starting to doubt the credibility of your Ebony Magazine.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...threadid=62344
Old 05-19-2003, 11:29 PM   #37
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BJL

I got this information from a person who worked for Norman Lear's production company. It's like getting it straight from the horse's mouth. And didn't you read it thoroughly?

"It qualifies as a spin-off simply because the character of Flordia Evans first was on Maude then was moved to her own series, "Good Times". That qualifies as a spin-off in every traditional sense of the term."

And I am really starting to doubt the credibility of your Ebony Magazine.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...threadid=62344

Why are you doubting the credibiity of the magazine?
Old 05-19-2003, 11:47 PM   #38
Brian
Forum Veteran

here is what you said in that thread:

Well I was too young in 1976 to know the real reason why Mike Evans left but i started piecing things together and I figured out why Mike Evans left the show after season one. I read the 1976 issue of Ebony magazine and it was reported that Mike left because he was used less and less during season one. I guess he felt that he was the first jefferson character and was pushed to the side for Sherman Hemsley. I came to that conclusion also because I noticed he was not seen in more than one episode. So I figured it out before I read the magazine. Now it's confirmed that Sherman Hemsley took the spotlight away from Mike Evans.

This person that gave me the information on Good Times said this:

I would like to clear the air on this. I worked for the Norman Lear production company in 1975 when "The Jeffersons" premiered. Evans left the show to focus on "Good Times" which he co-created. He was gone from 1975-79 to work on "Good Times" and once that show ended he returned to "The Jeffersons". There was no resentment between Hemsley and Evans whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I recall "The Jeffersons" being one of the more happy environments to work on. It was a professional, talented cast and crew and during the five years I worked for Lear's company, I do not recall troubles on that set.

Another thing is that Alan Manings was just an executive producer. If I were to hear from the two co-creators Mike Evans and this other person whom I can't remember that Good Times was not a spinoff, then I would be more inclined to believe so.

How about I make a deal with you? If I send you a tape of a TV show of your choice (if I have any), could you send me a copy of "Ebony Magazine?"
Old 05-19-2003, 11:54 PM   #39
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BJL
here is what you said in that thread:

Well I was too young in 1976 to know the real reason why Mike Evans left but i started piecing things together and I figured out why Mike Evans left the show after season one. I read the 1976 issue of Ebony magazine and it was reported that Mike left because he was used less and less during season one. I guess he felt that he was the first jefferson character and was pushed to the side for Sherman Hemsley. I came to that conclusion also because I noticed he was not seen in more than one episode. So I figured it out before I read the magazine. Now it's confirmed that Sherman Hemsley took the spotlight away from Mike Evans.

I would like to clear the air on this. I worked for the Norman Lear production company in 1975 when "The Jeffersons" premiered. Evans left the show to focus on "Good Times" which he co-created. He was gone from 1975-79 to work on "Good Times" and once that show ended he returned to "The Jeffersons". There was no resentment between Hemsley and Evans whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I recall "The Jeffersons" being one of the more happy environments to work on. It was a professional, talented cast and crew and during the five years I worked for Lear's company, I do not recall troubles on that set.

Another thing is that Alan Manings was just an executive producer. If I were to hear from the two co-creators Mike Evans and this other person whom I can't remember that Good Times was not a spinoff, then I would be more inclined to believe so.

How about I make a deal with you? If I send you a tape of a TV show of your choice (if I have any), could you send me a copy of "Ebony Magazine?"

Yeah i wouldn't have a problem sending you a copy of both articles about the Jeffersons and Good times. I never said Mike Evans left the show because he had problems with Sherman. He left because his role on the show became too small. I have another source backing that up-The Jeffersons Book. Mike Evans asked NormaN Lear can he leave the show and Lear told him that will not be a problem. What shows do you have in your collection?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #40
Brian
Forum Veteran

E-mail me at buddylafferty85@yahoo.com and we'll discuss it.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:04 PM   #41
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow

Quote:

I can't believe this is still an issue. Producer Alan Manings stated that the character Florida Evans was WRITTEN OUT of Maude instead of TRANSITIONED OFF MAUDE. Good Times is not a spinoff.
People get written off of shows to do spinoff. For example, the Ropers were written out of Three's Company so they could do their spinoff.
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:08 PM   #42
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Snow

People get written off of shows to do spinoff. For example, the Ropers were written out of Three's Company so they could do their spinoff.

The Ropers was not witten off because the pilot episode of the Ropers was a three's company episode. I don't know the word i'm looking for but they was not written off.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:41 PM   #43
Sean Snow
moo
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sean Snow

Quote:

The Ropers was not witten off because the pilot episode of the Ropers was a three's company episode. I don't know the word i'm looking for but they was not written off.
The Ropers pilot was an episode of The Ropers (if you're referencing to "Moving On") which is rerun with the opening credits of TC. Also, when a character is written out that means they are off the show. The Ropers WERE off the show, weren't they?

Also, you said:

"Why are you doubting the credibiity of the magazine?"

earlier. Are you doubting the credibility of the numerous television specials and written documents that state Good Times is a spinoff?
Sean Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:49 PM   #44
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Snow

The Ropers pilot was an episode of The Ropers (if you're referencing to "Moving On") which is rerun with the opening credits of TC. Also, when a character is written out that means they are off the show. The Ropers WERE off the show, weren't they?

Also, you said:

"Why are you doubting the credibiity of the magazine?"

earlier. Are you doubting the credibility of the numerous television specials and written documents that state Good Times is a spinoff.

Well i have the article and the statement was very clear by Alan Manings-Good Times was not a spinoff because they Changed the Florida Evans character. So instead of being Florida Evans who worked for Maude and married to Henry Evans in the state of NY, she became the Forida Evans who was married to JAMES evans who had 3 children a living in Chicago Family Housing Project. Does it now make sense to You? Because if not i don't know what else to say.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #45
jehobden

Quote:
Originally posted by BJL

TV Guide profiled Mike Evans early in 1980, shortly after his return to The Jeffersons, and I remember that Norman Lear made statements, which I cannot remember the exact words of right now, that led me to believe that Evans left the series the first time under less than amicable circumstances but was happy then. Apparently he wasn't happy for long, since he left the series for good shortly after then, in what I remember reading was a contract dispute.

Also, the Good Times co-creator's name is Eric Monte. He was interviewed on-camera about how his and Evans' "The Black Family" pilot eventually evolved into Good Times. I don't remember either of them being credited with any continuing position with the series, such as executive producer. I thought they had no involvement with the series beyond writing the original pilot that was the basis for Good Times.
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote