Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-11-2002, 04:17 PM   #46
JaneTVFan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by boechsner
3. Rhoda was better then The Mary Tyler Moore Show

[This message has been edited by boechsner (edited 11-20-2001).]
I HARDLY think so! The Mary Tyler Moore Show is the most well written and best acted sitcom in the history of television. Rhoda was a disastrous mess. They couldn't even decide what to do with her. Is she single? Is she married? How 'bout divorced? Does she have a job or not? The format of that show got changed about every six months before CBS finally gave up after a few years and gave it the ax.
JaneTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 04:23 PM   #47
JaneTVFan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by britt britt
L&S was better than happy days, I love laverne and shirley! though happy days was good too! L&S was sooo funny and its crazy how they never won an emmy, that ticks me off!! they were so good!
My gosh, it seems perfectly obvious to me why those shows never won any Emmys.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:24 PM   #48
AdiTheGame
Frequent Poster

You have a lot of obscene opinions, do you not?
AdiTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 04:31 PM   #49
JaneTVFan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON

Perfect strangers was horrible-i just think for male characters, they were too soft and silly-
I agree.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:34 PM   #50
JaneTVFan
Forum Regular

Default Re: Re: Spinoffs that Were Better then the original

Quote:
Originally posted by JaneTVFan

Ugggh! Mayberry RFD has to be about the WORST excuse for a TV show I've ever seen. NEVER did it make me laugh. Ken Berry's character, and most of the others, were totally bland and uninteresting, much unlike the wide assortment of characters from the early days of The Andy Griffith Show. And this is supposed to be a show about a small town in North Carolina? Then why is it that NOBODY on that show has a southern accent? As for Gomer Pyle, that has to be the most annoying character ever created for TV. The Andy Griffith Show, in its early years when Don Knotts was around, was an exceptional series. Gomer Pyle, USMC and Mayberry RFD (especially) suck big time!
I need to modify one thing here. I liked the Gomer character when he was on The Andy Griffith Show as a minor character. But giving him the central role on his own series was overdose. In small doses, the character was funny. In large doses, he was annoying.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:37 PM   #51
Jason3fc
bacon burger dawgs
Occasional Poster

I always thought that Fraiser seemed so different from Cheers, almost totally unrelated. Fraiser is hysterical, but he seems to be much more pretentious in Fraiser. Almost makes you wonder why he even hung out at Cheers anyway in light of all the places Him and Niles go.

I was watching the anniversary marathon the other day on N@N or TVL and I heard Fraiser say his father got shot and died!!

I knew he got shot, but died? Guess they hadn't thought of the spin off at that point.

Last edited by Jason3fc; 10-03-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Jason3fc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:43 PM   #52
callmetootie

Send a message via AIM to callmetootie

The Jeffersons was slightly better than AITF
Laverne and Shirley was better than HD
FOL was better than DS
HL was slightly better than DS
Old 10-06-2002, 05:36 AM   #53
rob17
Frequent Poster

Send a message via ICQ to rob17 Send a message via Yahoo to rob17

Quote:
I always thought that Fraiser seemed so different from Cheers, almost totally unrelated. Fraiser is hysterical, but he seems to be much more pretentious in Fraiser. Almost makes you wonder why he even hung out at Cheers anyway in light of all the places Him and Niles go.
I agree. Personally I prefer Frasier over Cheers, but I really love them both.

I often wonder about why Frasier went to Cheers too... and Lilith too! Still, I'm not complaining I think Frasier was fantastic in Cheers, and IMO the reason he is more refined now is because he has Niles with him meaning that he can do all the pretenrtous things he always wanted to do back in Boston - his family all know what he's like so he doesn't need to play it down so much. And that's good news too! I like pretentious Frasier...

Rob

"Love is sweet as summer showers, love is a wondrous work of art, but your love oh your love, your love... is like a giant pigeon... crapping on my heart..." - Phoebe Buffay, Friends

Blanche: Rose is a bimbo.
Counsellor: Rose, how do you feel about Blanche calling you that?
Rose: I think she's a gark÷gern°ckin.
Counsellor: What does that mean?
Rose: Well, it used to be the term for the precise second that dog doo turns white, but now it mainly stands for rude.
rob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #54
gv416
Frequent Poster

The Jeffersons was funnier than All In The Family, though I like at least the first 3 or 4 seasons of AITF, after that forget it. The Jeffersons was the only Norman Lear show that didnt take itself too seriously. They just were funny.

Laverne & Shirley was way funnier than Happy Days.

Family Matters was much funnier than Perfect Strangers, though they did let it run too long.

Green Acres was funnier than Petticoat Junction, though it had a whole different flavor than PJ, which was downhome and sentimental, whereas GA was more surreal and cynical.

No way was Mayberry RFD better than Andy Griffith, however the color episodes of AG are definitely inferior to the B&W episodes. I turn the channel when the color ones come on.
gv416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #55
cjmg85
Frequent Poster

L&S = MUCH better than HD.
What about Mork and Mindy though? I haven't seen enough episodes to decide myself.

The Jeffersons = MUCH better than AITF

Frasier = Slightly better than Cheers

The Facts of Life (espcially the Eastland years) = MUCH better than DS

A Differnet Word = Slightly less than The Cosby Show

I haven't seen enough episodes of Empty Nest to decide between that and Golden Girls (and I love Golden Girls)

Rhoda = MUCH less than Mary Tyler Moore (though Rhoda was still a good show)

I haven't seen Phyllis at all so I wouldn't know between that and MTT.

I really like Family Matters but I have never seen that show that came from so I don't know about that one either.

And now if you don't mind me adding a very recent cartoon series:

All Grown Up = MUCH better than all recent episodes of Rugrats

Now for show which would make good spinoffs (IMO)

I think that Roz deserves a spinoff from Frasier.
I think that Darlene and David should have had a spinoff from Roseanne.
I think that Crystal should have as well, and also the hair saloon (from Roseanne).
I think that Lenny and Squigy should have been spun off from L&S.
I think that Don should have had a spinoff from 3rd Rock from the Sun.
I think that Mary should have had a spinoff as well (from 3rd Rock).
I think that Newman should have had a spinoff from Seinfeld (hey, Wayne Knight would have been starring in two shows at once if both my spinoff ideas for him were true. So maybe just one or the other but its difficult to choose!)

Anyone else have any ideas for spinoffs that should have been?
cjmg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:05 PM   #56
Zebra 3
Striped Tomato

Cool

The only one I can think of is Good Times being so much better than Maude.
Zebra 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:23 PM   #57
snl75

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenGuy
i can't beleive there are people who dislike The Golden Girls. Anyways my ex girlfriend hated golden girls but i like it

1. I like Fraiser better then Cheers

2. I like The Jeffersons better then AITF (i do like AITF alot, but it aint nearly as funny as The Jeffersons)
snl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #58
GeorgiaboyJeff!
Forum Regular

Good Times
The Jeffersons
Family Matters
Different World - Personally I thought this show was better than the Cosby show!
The Parkers - I liked the Parkers more than Moesha
GeorgiaboyJeff! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #59
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

I liked "Laverne & Shirley" much, much better than "Happy Days", until L & S moved to califiornia, and half the town went with them-in what has to be the most ridiculous sitcom change in history! "H.D." was allright the first season, until they added that AWFUL live audience, changed the Cunninghams living room, and the series became "The Fonzie show". (I heard that ABC wanted to rename it "Fonzies Happy Days" but the cast objected-thank god!!!)

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:10 AM   #60
Mikado
Main st bridge
Forum Celebrity

Facts of life was WAY better than Different Strokes, but DS had a much cuter girl ( Whom i had a huge crush on at the time ) Simpsons are better than Tracy Ullman, which i watched more for the Simpsons segments than the sketches...but i did like it
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote