Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Spinoff Question, Do you think the Cosby Show and Happy Days carried their spinoffs

for a couple of years? When Laverne and Shirley premired the Fonz not only appeared in several eps but L&S aired RIGHT AFTER Happy Days on Tuesday Nights. Same thing with the Cosby Show, the cast members from the Cosby Show guest starred on A Different World several Times in the first season and ADW aired right after the Cosby show on Thursdays. So I think both spinoffs received a HELPING HAND in getting off the ground the first couple of seasons. What do you think?
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
for a couple of years? When Laverne and Shirley premired the Fonz not only appeared in several eps but L&S aired RIGHT AFTER Happy Days on Tuesday Nights. Same thing with the Cosby Show, the cast members from the Cosby Show guest starred on A Different World several Times in the first season and ADW aired right after the Cosby show on Thursdays. So I think both spinoffs received a HELPING HAND in getting off the ground the first couple of seasons. What do you think?
NO
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieannas21
NO

Can you tell me why?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

I believe A Different World benefitted from Cosby Show greatly. Had this show been conceived without a Cosby Show to help it, it would have fallen flat on its face. HOWEVER, because of that "helping hand" it did the show more bad than good. It needed to separate itself from Cosby Show, which it did by getting rid of Lisa Bonet. It helped it alot more when they got rid of Marisa Tomei and also that stupid smarty girl with the glasses that was always stuck with Whitley. She was soooo not needed. And it wasn't believable that a character like Marisa Tomei's character would be at a black majority college. I think the viewers were taken aback by that. I know I would be. There are all black colleges.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Brieannas21

Quote:
Can you tell me why?

I don't think that TCS carried ADW in any way. The first season had Denise on ADW and you saw nothing but the Cosby cast, and we all know that the first seasons ratings weren't good at all. The second season of ADW was so far away from Cosby, you only saw Claire on 2 or three episodes. So I don't think that's carrying anything.

Also with L&S you only saw Fonzie about 2 or 3 times, and he wasn't a big part of the episodes that he was in, you only saw him for a few minutes and that was it. Also Richie was in a couple of L&S episodes and the episodes didn't focus on him at all. So Happy Days didn't carry L&S at all they were two completely different shows.
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default ....

LAVERNE and SHIRLEY was a good show for the era
good cast, good gimmicks, lots of slapstick
the show would have been a hit regardless
it just had that 70s Hit Feel to it

A DIFFERENT WORLD ---- i never got the show at all
i hated it
and after lisa bonet left, it was not really even like a cosby show spinoff---- i mean it TECHNICALLY was still a spinoff, but without lisa bonet, the show had no connection to the cosby show at all, and was a pretty stupid 80s sitcom

OTHER spinoffs from Happy Days---
MORK AND MINDY would have been a hit no matter b/c of robin williams

BLANSKYS BEAUTIES and JOANNIE LOVES CHACHI--- nothing could save them, they were pure crapola

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

TCS absolutely carried ADW especially during the first season.Critics trashed the show and the storylines for that first season were weak. Thankfully the show was revamped and got a lot better. IMO it became better than TCS eventually. But if it hadn't been between Cosby and Cheers that show would have flopped. HD helped L&S too as the Fonz did make a few appearances on that show too and it had a great timeslot but within a few years the show had become #1 so it eventually made it on it's own at least until it was moved opposite The Waltons.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Walk The Line
TCS absolutely carried ADW especially during the first season.Critics trashed the show and the storylines for that first season were weak. Thankfully the show was revamped and got a lot better. IMO it became better than TCS eventually. But if it hadn't been between Cosby and Cheers that show would have flopped. HD helped L&S too as the Fonz did make a few appearances on that show too and it had a great timeslot but within a few years the show had become #1 so it eventually made it on it's own at least until it was moved opposite The Waltons.

And as soon as ABC moved L&S to Thursday Nights, it was no longer in the top 30. These numbers below proves that Happy Days carried Laverne and Shirley.

From 1975 to 1979, these are the ratings for L&S when it aired AFTER Happy Days

1975-76-#3
1976-77-#2
1977-78-#1
1978-79-#1

Now when L&S was moved to Thursday Nights in the Fall of 1979, here was the Ratings

1979-80-Below #30

When L&S was moved BACK to Tuesdays Nights, it reached the top 20 the next season

1980-81-#20
1981-82-#20
1982-83-#25

So L&S obviously needed Happy Days as a Lead In to be in the Top 20/30.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

A Diff'rent World did not depend on the Cosby Show at all. Like any series it takes time for a show to take off and this is 1 show that got better and better from season to season.

In my opinion it was the secondary characters that carried it early on and they eventually became the stars by the end of it's run. (i.e Dwayne and Whitley)

One of my favorite comedies of the 90's
y2k3Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #10
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
And as soon as ABC moved L&S to Thursday Nights, it was no longer in the top 30. These numbers below proves that Happy Days carried Laverne and Shirley.

1975-76-#3
1976-77-#2
1977-78-#1
1978-79-#1

Now when L&S was moved to Thursday Nights in the Fall of 1979, here was the Ratings

1979-80-Below #30

When L&S was moved BACK to Tuesdays Nights, it reached the top 20 the next season

1980-81-#20
1981-82-#20
1982-83-#25

have you checked to see what Laverne & Shirley was airing against when it was moved to Thursday nights? that might play a part in its ratings.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #11
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k3Joker
A Diff'rent World did not depend on the Cosby Show at all. Like any series it takes time for a show to take off and this is 1 show that got better and better from season to season.

In my opinion it was the secondary characters that carried it early on and they eventually became the stars by the end of it's run. (i.e Dwayne and Whitley)

One of my favorite comedies of the 90's
As soon as TCS went off the air ADW tanked and it had Cosby's timeslot. I agree it was a great show but the timeslot was the key.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #12
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:

1975-76-#3
1976-77-#2
1977-78-#1
1978-79-#1

1979-80-Below #30

1980-81-#20
1981-82-#20
1982-83-#25

The last 3 years it was set in California and those years were awful. It wasn't the same show.
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:24 AM   #13
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
have you checked to see what Laverne & Shirley was airing against when it was moved to Thursday nights? that might play a part in its ratings.

It went up against the Waltons. But that shouldn't have mattered because L&S was the number 1 show the previous season. It was from #1 to ?????-LOL
Old 05-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Walk The Line
The last 3 years it was set in California and those years were awful. It wasn't the same show.

Yeah it was obvious that ABC thought by moving it back to Tuesday Nights that the show would reached the Top ten but since the setting was dfferent it lost viewers
Old 05-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #15
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Yeah it was obvious that ABC thought by moving it back to Tuesday Nights that the show would reached the Top ten but since the setting was dfferent it lost viewers
what are the shows that it was up against when it was moved to Thursday nights?
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote