Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #46
wonderwall
Frequent Poster

Did anybody else watch last night's Disappeared episode featuring Amy? I thought it was pretty well done. It gave some information that (I think) UM didn't mention. First, it went into Amy's backstory and how she and Steve met, her actions that day, and the suspicion of Steve. One interesting thing that was mentioned was after a race held to raise money for the search for Amy, Steve did not speak to her family. I don't know if it was out of guilt or possibly anger that the family suspected him, but I find it odd. Unfortunately, steve was not interviewed, but they did note that he has begun to be more cooperative and is now speaking with law enforcement.
After that, the show went into how a tip was given that Amy was hit by a car being driven by Arapahoe natives, and they buried her body in a shallow grave on nearby reservation land. They were given permission to search the area of reservation land and the car that was named, but it did not yield anything. However, I am quite eager to know about this tip, does anybody have any information? I wonder how much reservation land they were able to search?
Last, the went into the Dale Eaton angle and mentioned that there is a possibility that Eaton could have something to do with her diappearence since her knew the area and could have been there, but he is not cooperating with law enforcement. I wish this was also elaborated more on, but I don't think they have much information since he refuses to talk.
Overall, it was a good episode! If you're interested in this case, i think it is worth watching. It should be repeated this week. The title is Missing in the Mountains if it ever becomes available on the forbidden site.
wonderwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #47
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall
Did anybody else watch last night's Disappeared episode featuring Amy? I thought it was pretty well done. It gave some information that (I think) UM didn't mention. First, it went into Amy's backstory and how she and Steve met, her actions that day, and the suspicion of Steve. One interesting thing that was mentioned was after a race held to raise money for the search for Amy, Steve did not speak to her family. I don't know if it was out of guilt or possibly anger that the family suspected him, but I find it odd. Unfortunately, steve was not interviewed, but they did note that he has begun to be more cooperative and is now speaking with law enforcement.
After that, the show went into how a tip was given that Amy was hit by a car being driven by Arapahoe natives, and they buried her body in a shallow grave on nearby reservation land. They were given permission to search the area of reservation land and the car that was named, but it did not yield anything. However, I am quite eager to know about this tip, does anybody have any information? I wonder how much reservation land they were able to search?
Last, the went into the Dale Eaton angle and mentioned that there is a possibility that Eaton could have something to do with her diappearence since her knew the area and could have been there, but he is not cooperating with law enforcement. I wish this was also elaborated more on, but I don't think they have much information since he refuses to talk.
Overall, it was a good episode! If you're interested in this case, i think it is worth watching. It should be repeated this week. The title is Missing in the Mountains if it ever becomes available on the forbidden site.
That's a good post wonderwall. The programme you mention is not yet available on the other site to my knowledge. However there are other videos of Steve on there and if you look at his body language he appears shifty and looks to my mind as if he is concealing something whatever the subject he is discussing.

If you check #9 you will see a post there from shek,Lisa Kimmell's mother,who does discuss the possibility of Dale Eaton in Amy's murder,and it would be foolish to rule this man out in her disappearance.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #48
wonderwall
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
That's a good post wonderwall. The programme you mention is not yet available on the other site to my knowledge. However there are other videos of Steve on there and if you look at his body language he appears shifty and looks to my mind as if he is concealing something whatever the subject he is discussing.

If you check #9 you will see a post there from shek,Lisa Kimmell's mother,who does discuss the possibility of Dale Eaton in Amy's murder,and it would be foolish to rule this man out in her disappearance.
Thanks for the info! I find the Eaton angle very compelling. Like somebody said upthread, it would explain why Amy's body was not found in Lander. I wonder where he took her and where she could possibly be, such as around where he lived at the time. Have any searches taken place in that area for possible victims of his?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #49
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Did the "Disappeared" show have any new tidbits that weren't shown on UM that would point to Steve being responsible?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #50
wonderwall
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Did the "Disappeared" show have any new tidbits that weren't shown on UM that would point to Steve being responsible?
IMO, the tone of the show concerning the tidbit I posted earlier about how Steve behaved at the race was slanted more towards it being a clue that he might have done it. According to the family (Amy's mother and brother were mainly interviewed for the show [side note, Amy and her sister were her brother's "best men" in his wedding. I thought that was pretty precious!]), at this memorial run that was the same track as Amy was mapping out for the 10k she was planning when she disappeared, before the race, Steve gave a very heartwarming and intense speech about how people couldn't give up looking for her, etc. However, afterwards, when the family saw him, he completely blew them off. I think the Bechtels may have perceived it as guilt, but I thought it may be more anger. I am iffy about whether Steve did it, I think the Eaton angle holds more weight.
On the topic of Steve, the show did get into more information about his interrogation, and it had a quick read through of one of his journal entries (or at least summarized one of them). The same "Dave" sheriff (although he may not be a sheriff anymore) was interviewed, but I forgot what he said. The way they presented Steve, it made him come off as possibly guilty since he seemed very uncooperative with being investigated. Plus, the show wasn't that balanced in that section since Steve himself wasn't interviewed and neither were the neighbors who supported him.

One interesting thing I forgot to mention was that the person who claimed to see Steve's 4 x 4 on the road the day Amy disappeared could not make a positive ID towards Steve or Amy being inside. I'm not sure that was mentioned on lifetime, but it seemed like Disappeared portrayed it as a not very credible siting.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #51
Steve_uk

Quote:
IMO, the tone of the show concerning the tidbit I posted earlier about how Steve behaved at the race was slanted more towards it being a clue that he might have done it. According to the family (Amy's mother and brother were mainly interviewed for the show [side note, Amy and her sister were her brother's "best men" in his wedding. I thought that was pretty precious!]), at this memorial run that was the same track as Amy was mapping out for the 10k she was planning when she disappeared, before the race, Steve gave a very heartwarming and intense speech about how people couldn't give up looking for her, etc. However, afterwards, when the family saw him, he completely blew them off. I think the Bechtels may have perceived it as guilt, but I thought it may be more anger. I am iffy about whether Steve did it, I think the Eaton angle holds more weight.
On the topic of Steve, the show did get into more information about his interrogation, and it had a quick read through of one of his journal entries (or at least summarized one of them). The same "Dave" sheriff (although he may not be a sheriff anymore) was interviewed, but I forgot what he said. The way they presented Steve, it made him come off as possibly guilty since he seemed very uncooperative with being investigated. Plus, the show wasn't that balanced in that section since Steve himself wasn't interviewed and neither were the neighbors who supported him.

One interesting thing I forgot to mention was that the person who claimed to see Steve's 4 x 4 on the road the day Amy disappeared could not make a positive ID towards Steve or Amy being inside. I'm not sure that was mentioned on lifetime, but it seemed like Disappeared portrayed it as a not very credible siting.
With reference to the last paragraph I haven't watched the new programme but on the Unsolved Mysteries programme from what I took from it the woman camper positively identified Steve's truck the day after the murders as the one she saw around 4:30pm on the day of Amy's disappearance,with a blonde woman in the passenger seat and a male figure driving fast.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #52
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

They mentioned on "Disappeared " that the woman who saw the truck was unable to make a positive ID. Now I know that doesn't completely rule out Steve Bechtel, but frankly I'm with the other posters: Dale Eaton is worth pursuing. Frankly I don't see anything real damning about Steve except that he wrote creepy poetry.

Out of curiosity, is there really any way they could be sure that a mountain lion didn't drag Amy away? After all, that area is known to have them and if one did carry her off, it'd be very hard if not impossible to find her. I'm sure though that the FBI probably has solid reasons to believe that it was foul play.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #53
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow
They mentioned on "Disappeared " that the woman who saw the truck was unable to make a positive ID. Now I know that doesn't completely rule out Steve Bechtel, but frankly I'm with the other posters: Dale Eaton is worth pursuing. Frankly I don't see anything real damning about Steve except that he wrote creepy poetry.

Out of curiosity, is there really any way they could be sure that a mountain lion didn't drag Amy away? After all, that area is known to have them and if one did carry her off, it'd be very hard if not impossible to find her. I'm sure though that the FBI probably has solid reasons to believe that it was foul play.
What is the likeliness that a mountain lion killed her? I mean, it's not impossible but I don't hear about them killing humans too often.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #54
Necco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
What is the likeliness that a mountain lion killed her? I mean, it's not impossible but I don't hear about them killing humans too often.

If this list is comprehensive, pretty darn unlikely...
http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks3.htm

Details all the cougar/mountain lion attacks between 2001-2010
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #55
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
It's not a common occurrence at all, but if someone were going to have a surprise encounter with a large predator, Bechtel was in a likely area for it, doing an activity (running) that could trigger an instinct to attack. Typically, most mountain lions and bears would go off before you ever were aware of their presence, but there are exceptions.

With an animal attack, there would have been an increased likelihood that her remains or an attack site would have been located, but both mountain lions and bears move remains and hide them under brush.

On the segment, Amy's family did mention that Steve appeared possessive and controlling of Amy, and that he distanced himself from both her family and investigators, but the current investigation seems to be more focused on Bechtel being abducted or accidentally struck by a vehicle. That they haven't found her remains, despite repeated searches, doesn't mean much, in an area that extensive.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #56
WishfulDreamer

I think she was probably abducted. If it was a hit-and-run, I think she was taken far from the area, then, to hide the evidence. But I really have to wonder if Eaton had a hand in this. If he was allegedly in the area and knew the area, a predator like him probably would have acted seeing a young, attractive woman all by herself in a rural area. I really doubt Lisa Marie was his first and only victim. Perhaps after killing Lisa he decided to hide the body of his other victims to throw off the trail and get rid of any evidence (with DNA becoming more prominent than in the 80s). And of course, another person could have done this.

I don't buy that she got lost or attacked by a mountain lion. She knew the area, they had her list of where she was mapping the 10k route and landmarks she had gone to and was planning for, etc. The search and rescue knew the extensive area like a book. I think at least one shred of evidence would have been found had she been attacked by a mountain lion or creature, like a piece of her clothing.

I was very surprised that Steve and the neighbors were only mentioned but not interviewed. Maybe they declined, maybe they were busy, wanted to move on, who knows. (Not an indicator of guilt at all, in my opinion, just mentioning). We did see clips of interviews with them. I am in the camp that Steve didn't do it. I think he really was out mountain climbing that day.

I tend to agree with the bruises from sexual activity argument. If Amy really smiled and said "Steve gets a little rough sometimes" then I doubt she would have smiled and been so nonchalant if it was abuse. The Disappeared segment mentions that Steve stands behind her and puts his hands on her shoulders right after that, which is kind of portrayed threateningly, but it could have been nurturingly for all we know. The notebook entries sound weird, but hey, as a writer myself, I wouldn't want anyone to psychoanalyze my work. Some of the subjects happen to be dark. I really would love to read the works and see why Amy's mother was so disturbed (she mentioned it portrayed his feelings about women including Amy), because I can't really form a solid opinion on this piece of "evidence" with just general knowledge of what was in those writings.

One thing that did bother me was how Amy was supposed to be a dominant personality and was totally "compliant" in her relationship with Steve. Was it just her trying to please him or was he really possessive? One red flag was her looking at him to see what she should order in a restaurant. My second cousin's stepfather was abusive and would control her to the extent of what she could order in a restaurant (I know that's child v. adult, but I still think it's a bit disturbing. Particularly between two adults). However, at the moment, I think Steve is probably not guilty. I'd have to see more evidence to change my mind. All of the above might just be taken out of context.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #57
Spark Of Spirit
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
If this list is comprehensive, pretty darn unlikely...
http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks3.htm

Details all the cougar/mountain lion attacks between 2001-2010
Four kills in a decade span and the remains were found each time? Yeah, I think that's a good argument against a mountain lion attack even if it probably doesn't have every single attack. Few of those even ended in death. Not to say it isn't possible, but I don't think that's what happened.
A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.
― G.K. Chesterton
Spark Of Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #58
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I also think it's highly unlikely that a mountain lion would be able to conceal her remains so well that they still haven't been located.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #59
QuenSolen
Frequent Poster

I have to point out one thing I noticed in the episode at about 26:50.

It isn't damning evidence, but in my opinion it's a strong point against Steve. Now, it's already been said that they did not interview Steve. However, they showed two old interview segments of Steve and in one of them, he is asked flat out:

Reporter: "Did you have ANYTHING to do with your wife's disappearance."

Steve's reaction to this question caught me off guard because I totally believed in his innocence. He was staring right into the report's eyes as she asked the question, but as he answered...he looked away. He could not look her in the eyes when he answered that question.

Steve: "No. No I didn't."

Now, I did notice that during the other segments showing old interviews that his head bobbed a lot and his eyes flickered away quite a bit but mostly just due to his head movements or when he was trying to get his thoughts out, something he seems to prefer doing on paper.

Something about him looking away right at the moment he answered that vital question gave me a chill and made my heart drop...This was actually the culmination point of me seeing Steve in a new light. That reaction coupled with the information from Amy's family about Steve's apparent possessive tendencies and his abrupt withdrawal from talking with either the authorities or Amy's family....well I now have my doubts.

To tell you the truth my initial reaction when I Steve look away after hearing all the info against him was a slight gasp and a shocked whisper out loud to myself "Omg...omg he did it. Steve did it. He killed her."

Note:*points up and to the left* Thought I'd finally put up an avatar photo. What do you think? ;P

Last edited by QuenSolen; 01-15-2013 at 07:12 AM.
QuenSolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #60
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

Quote:
The title is Missing in the Mountains if it ever becomes available on the forbidden site.
Just an FYI: ID has a "channel" on the forbidden site where you can buy this episode for $1.99. There were also other means of watching it there too. Amazon also has these episodes for purchase (the ones that aren't on Netflix).
nohwheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote