Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 AM   #16
Collinwood2003
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

It is worth the couple of extra cents for the sleeves then for the receiver to get damaged discs and have to replace them because they will not play + pay postage to send them again. If they will even replace them at all.

Mel

Funny you should say that Mel after the 4 dvds in one sleeve from the trade I had gotten from you. I'm not mad but I was lucky the discs weren't damaged. Another thing I want to ask traders is when people use printable discs and they face the printables together. I had a hard time getting the discs apart. So far only two traders have done that to me.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #17
mele503
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinwood2003
It is worth the couple of extra cents for the sleeves then for the receiver to get damaged discs and have to replace them because they will not play + pay postage to send them again. If they will even replace them at all.

Mel

Funny you should say that Mel after the 4 dvds in one sleeve from the trade I had gotten from you. I'm not mad but I was lucky the discs weren't damaged. Another thing I want to ask traders is when people use printable discs and they face the printables together. I had a hard time getting the discs apart. So far only two traders have done that to me.
I was down to the last few sleeves and did not have anymore and since our trade already took way to long because of the problem of getting the defective Gomer Pyle set, the person not responding to my emails about replacing them and was having that trouble plus you threatened to put me on the bad traders list because of the amount of time it was taking and it was really out of my hands. Yes I was the one that did say okay to trading you the set even though I did not have it yet. I wanted to get them out to you asap so I put several in each one then to risk any damage. What would have you done after being threatened to be listed as a bad trader when you were fairly new on this board? You would have done the same thing I did and put them in what sleeves you had. If you had done that no one on here would trade with me anymore. I am really sorry about having to so use very few sleeves but I just wanted to get our trade over with with no more interruptions.

Try getting a package like nannyfan and I when we did not get any at all. I would rather have a few in one then not at all. I normally only put 2 in each sleeve. I put the 2 burned sides together and the label sides outwards to keep them from getting scratched by the sleeve. Why do people put the burned side outward in them? When you try to get them out of the sleeve you end up having to touch the burned side to get them out. I have gotten a lot of trades by what you call trading veterans with several discs in 1 sleeve. I used to only put 1 discs in each sleeve but I thought it was appropriate since other well known traders was putting in mulitiples (there was more than 2 discs in each sleeve). If asked in a trade and that is what you prefer you can ask for 1 disc per sleeve. I have been requested this and have done so.

I did however even though I had just stocked up on sleeves send the person that did not bother to protect the discs they sent me and put mine several in one sleeve. I even debated not sending them at all because how they did me.

By the way I am mailing out The Beatles cartoon disc #8 that I owe you. It will be out in the mail tomorrow and will email you the DC Tracking #. I do hope that we can trade more in the future.

Mel
www.freewebs.com/melstradelist
Old 07-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #18
tdubel
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by padre
Tom,

I think for most of the trades we're talking about, they're straight duplications (dvd/dvd, tape/tape). I think if its known its a tape>dvd conversion, the receiver is going to expect some longer times. Its the basic duplication trade, and in my case dvd duplication trades, that shouldn't take almost 3 months.

Padre,
Absolutely agree unless the person told you up front they were 3months behind!!!! But yes your point is well taken, that is way too long.

Tom
Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #19
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mele503
...I put the 2 burned sides together and the label sides outwards to keep them from getting scratched by the sleeve. Why do people put the burned side outward in them? When you try to get them out of the sleeve you end up having to touch the burned side to get them out.
If you put two burned sides together you risk damaging the data side of the discs, which is far worse that the top.

As far as sleeves go... I have never bought one and I never will. Yes, I'm cheap.

I either recycle (I scratch out titles and write the new ones down) or make pockets out of a plain piece of paper, as many traders do:

Take a piece of paper and fold both sides from top to bottom 1 1/2". Then fold in half. You now will have a very cheap sleeve that will hold two discs comfortably. Costs me 2/10ths of a cent each, and most of us have those around.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #20
mele503
Frequent Poster

Take a piece of paper and fold both sides from top to bottom 1 1/2". Then fold in half. You now will have a very cheap sleeve that will hold two discs comfortably. Costs me 2/10ths of a cent each, and most of us have those around.

Jen I have gotten discs like this and Have had no problem with homemade sleeves just what ever it takes. I didn't know you could lose data putting those sides together. Where did you hear that from? I would like to read up on that.

My point was you should not just stack the discs up then put bubble wrap around them then tape it. A little paper can really help keep from breaking. I was told that this newbie does not believe in sleeves. So asking him or just letting him know that it needs to be done isn't going to help.

Mel
Old 07-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #21
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:

Jen I have gotten discs like this and Have had no problem with homemade sleeves just what ever it takes. I didn't know you could lose data putting those sides together. Where did you hear that from? I would like to read up on that.

My point was you should not just stack the discs up then put bubble wrap around them then tape it. A little paper can really help keep from breaking. I was told that this newbie does not believe in sleeves. So asking him or just letting him know that it needs to be done isn't going to help.

Mel

I prefer to have DVD's mailed to me in a case. I don;t like that homemade sleeve thing. Too risky.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #22
mele503
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
I prefer to have DVD's mailed to me in a case. I don;t like that homemade sleeve thing. Too risky.
So you do obviously agree that they should be at least mailed in something and not in anything? I have had shipped tons of dics in sleeves and nothing has ever been damaged in the mail. I use good quality bubble envelopes and even use 2 if that is what it takes and then tape them together.

Mel
Old 07-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #23
Agent 13

I agree with you, Mel. Though I have to admit that for relatives who are getting freebies from me, I stack them together, wrap Saran Wrap around them, and surround them with a few wraps of newspaper. They know nothing about tape trading ethics, and so far they haven't had a problem.

Most tape traders would find it hard to fathom that it is not unusual for DVD traders to ship a wad of 50 DVDs to each other in one package. Using plastic cases is unrealistic unless you're sending one or two discs at a time.

Last edited by Agent 13; 07-13-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #24
mele503
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 13
I agree with you, Mel. Though I have to admit that for relatives who are getting freebies from me, I stack them together, wrap Saran Wrap around them, and surround them with a few wraps of newspaper. They know nothing about tape trading ethics, and so far they haven't had a problem.

Most tape traders would find it hard to fathom that it is not unusual for DVD traders to ship a wad of 50 DVDs to each other in one package. Using plastic cases is unrealistic unless you're sending one or two discs at a time.
Also to add to that Jen I am not as experienced as some and I only started shipping more than 1 disc to a sleeve after I was shipping that way and I started getting all of everyone elses and they had more then 1 disc. So I thought that if they were doing it this way then it was appropriate and exceptable. I have had only 1 trader request that I only put 1 disc in each sleeve so I now now anytime that I trade with them to do it this way. That is there preference. I have not had any other problems or comments about it except the one above.

I think if you have had a problem or did not like how they were shipped that you should just send the other person a little email then to name them in a posting and make a comment about it. Unless you have traded with them seneral times already and they ship like this all the time or you have already let them know you did not like discs shipped in that manner. I and nannyfan both traded with a newbie that we did not like how they shipped to us but neither one mentioned their name out of courtiousy and respect. How do other people feel about commenting like this about you? Would you feel attacked or degraded as a trader? I am just curious.

Mel
Old 07-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #25
Agent 13

Quote:
How do other people feel about commenting like this about you? Would you feel attacked or degraded as a trader? I am just curious.
Mel
No one likes criticism, even if it's constructive criticism. In the trading world, most take pride in how they turn out their work, so it's a touchy subject. When I was a newbie I took trading ethical criticism all right, because I wanted to learn by my mistakes, but the old cliche "the truth in love" is the best way to go about correcting someone. There's a right way and a wrong way to point out someone's mistakes.

I cannot imagine where it would be appropriate for someone to comment on something like this publically and mention my name if my mistake was done in ignorance. Most people have a very good memory for insults. It may be that someone spouting off doesn't think that the person they're talking about has anything they'd want to trade for anyway, but someday they may.

There are a few people on this board that I would never ever trade with simply because of the way I've seen them treat others.

In every aspect of life, if you're mean to people, you will reap that meanness somewhere along the road. Speaking from experience, that's no fun. But by the same token, if you treat others respectfully, you will reap that as well.

Last edited by Agent 13; 07-13-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #26
nannyfan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubel
Who cares if they are recycled or have writing? they are not a good storage solution anyhow in my opinion, but they certainly work for the mail. Tom

I care only because I'm some what of a neat freak and like to keep my dvds in clean evelopes with either the name of the show the dvd contains on that sleeve - or a blank sleeve.

I use paper sleeves to store my dvds and they work great for me. Recycled sleeves are ok - but, I think if a trader plans on sending dvds to another trader, that is a detail that should be mentioned. Usually, what I do is save the recycled sleeves I get from other traders and then I return the same to them on our next trade. I used to always use new sleeves, but - after receiving so many used sleeves from other traders - I figure if they find them acceptable to send to me - they won't mind getting them back. It isn't worth complaining about on the forums. I choose to save my battles for the bad traders
Old 07-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #27
wolf11
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

hello from now on anybody that will trade with me i am going to buy some dvd case that hold 15 to 20 the kind you have in a car i can get them for about 1.00 each the dvd i send will go into that case then buble wrap while the dvd are in the case and then package them safe and ship prioty mail.i promise you will never get another dvd like that ever again k now when it come to big trades i will ship them in a dvd spool very protect and put insurace on the item i doing this with my next trade beacuse that way i know they will be safe thanks to everybody for giving me a chance and hellping me get some thing i could'nt have gotten with out all you your help if any dvd don't work i will replace them at my exp and send them out asap prioty mail dc i hope this will be a cool idea thank alot for your time curtis aka wolf11
Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #28
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I remove discs from the sleeve when I finally get around to opening the package. I will admit to being extremely challenged in that area - it may be weeks or even months before I open a package from another trader. The reason I really loathe 2 discs to a sleeve is a recent trade I had where it took me over half an hour to just remove the discs (about 20) from sleeves because a) the sleeves were so tight and I was getting fingerprints on the burned side trying to pull them out that I finallly ended up having to rip them away and b) the ink the person had used to label the discs hadn't been dry when he put the discs into the sleeves, and the discs were stuck together. I don't know about you, but it makes me nervous to have to flex a disc to separate it from another - the fact that DVDs are already more than one layer stuck together worries me in that I'm afraid I'll separate the wrong layers and ruin the DVDs just trying to extricate them.

When I take discs out of sleeves, I put them into dual slim cases. I found a wonderful dealer on eBay (ComShopUSA) who sells them for $2.50/100 - that's right, only $2.50 for 100 cases - plus $19.99 FedEx shipping.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #29
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by debwalsh
...The reason I really loathe 2 discs to a sleeve is a recent trade I had where it took me over half an hour to just remove the discs (about 20) from sleeves because a) the sleeves were so tight and I was getting fingerprints on the burned side trying to pull them out that I finallly ended up having to rip them away and b) the ink the person had used to label the discs hadn't been dry when he put the discs into the sleeves, and the discs were stuck together...
If this happens again, maybe you could try separating them with a piece of dental floss. Wedge it between the two discs and slide back and forth. Just an idea.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #30
lordsmurf
Frequent Poster

Good general tips for mailing pretty much anything:
You can buy 100 paper sleeves ($5), 100 unpadded mailing envelopes ($10), a whole roll of bubbles ($10)... all for $25. For cardboard supports, cut up a cereal box. You can also re-use boxes, spindles, envelopes, and paper sleeves, as long as they are still clean and in good condition. USPS gives away free priority mail boxes and envelopes, for using priority mail.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 07-13-2005 at 10:46 PM.