Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #16
GARFIELDKOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVShow Analyzer
If you can give me a detailed answer as to why Florida was living in Chicago after working for Maude in NYC, I will call it a spinoff. Remember, your answer has to make sense.
I know it is in question about the poor Evans moving from Harlem to the south side of Chicago. But Brian Damage just said it about Florida Evans, not NYC or Chicago. The only way I wouldn't call it a spinoff if both shows were not produced by the same company. They both are and the same character appeared in both shows. 'nuff said.
GARFIELDKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARFIELDKOOL
I know it is in question about the poor Evans moving from Harlem to the south side of Chicago. But Brian Damage just said it about Florida Evans, not NYC or Chicago. The only way I wouldn't call it a spinoff if both shows were not produced by the same company. They both are and the same character appeared in both shows. 'nuff said.

Last episode of Maude with Florida was aired on 2/5/74. First ep of GT was aired on 2/1/74 in some cities. Explain that-LOL

Also in last ep of Maude with Florida, she quits because her husband is promoted and decides to become housewife

First ep of GT-The Evans Famly have no money, and are close to be evicted.

SEE I have so many things backing me up Garfieldkool u can;t WIN this debate buddy-LOL
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #18
GARFIELDKOOL

Quote:
Last episode of Maude with Florida was aired on 2/5/74. First ep of GT was aired on 2/1/74 in some cities. Explain that-LOL

Also in last ep of Maude with Florida, she quits because her husband is promoted and decides to become housewife

SEE I have so many things backing me up Garfieldkool u can;t WIN this debate buddy-LOL
I ain't trying to win. You are very technical and precise. It is still a spinoff by Hollywood's standards. The record books aren't going to say it isn't because TVShow Analyzer doesn't think so. Do you not want it to be a spinoff? Norman Lear himself said so. How can you go against what he did and said. I'll admit the stories are inconsistant, but the shows are related. You know what, I can't believe I'm getting into this debate with you. I guess I better back out of this and let Brian Damage get back into this because I'm dropping out of this debate. GOOD TIMES IS A SPINOFF OF MAUDE AND THAT IS A PROVEN FACT.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 PM   #19
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
I ain't trying to win. You are very technical and precise. It is still a spinoff by Hollywood's standards. The record books aren't going to say it isn't because TVShow Analyzer doesn't think so. Do you not want it to be a spinoff? Norman Lear himself said so. How can you go against what he did and said. I'll admit the stories are inconsistant, but the shows are related. You know what, I can't believe I'm getting into this debate with you. I guess I better back out of this and let Brian Damage get back into this because I'm dropping out of this debate. GOOD TIMES IS A SPINOFF OF MAUDE AND THAT IS A PROVEN FACT.

When Did Norman Lear say GT was a spinoff? What year? What Magazine? WhaT Tv Show? What NetworK? Please let me know. Back yourself UP
Old 03-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #20
James"Thunder"Early
Whoever's In New England

I've said this before, just because the cities were different and James' name was Henry doesn't mean the show wasn't spinoff. Florida Evans character was put in the lead of this show because people liked her on Maude and it was way to get people who watched Maude to watch this new show. both Esther Rolle and John Amos did their roles from Maude on the show. that says the producers were trying to make it a spinoff.

Peggy Mitchell: Get outta my pub!

You better pray you get the last laugh, it's a kick in the teeth when you don't get it.
James"Thunder"Early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #21
Sal

Quote:
If you can give me a detailed answer as to why Florida was living in Chicago after working for Maude in NYC, I will call it a spinoff. Remember, your answer has to make sense.

Fine, O Wise and Omnipotent One! I have the answer right here, from the TV Tome website. Observe:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

42. Florida's Goodbye
gs: John Amos (Henry Evans) Conchata Ferrell (Rita Valdez) Jeane Byron (Housekeeper Applicant)

After Henry, Florida's husband, gets a job promotion, she must tell Maude she's leaving to become a full-time housewife. As applicants for the new job come in, Maude finds something wrong with each one. Finally, at the end of the day, Maude must say goodbye to Florida.

b: 05-Feb-1974 pc: 216 w: John Rappaport d: Hal Cooper

NOTE: This is Esther Rolle's last episode, she took her character to the Maude spin-off "Good Times" which debuted three days later on February 8, 1974.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this mean? It means that Florida's husband Henry, renamed James in the new series, had received a job promotion. It was in Chicago, so the family had no choice but to move, otherwise they would have remained in NY and Florida would have continued working for Maude. How does that grab you?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #22
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phillips
I've said this before, just because the cities were different and James' name was Henry doesn't mean the show wasn't spinoff. Florida Evans character was put in the lead of this show because people liked her on Maude and it was way to get people who watched Maude to watch this new show. both Esther Rolle and John Amos did their roles from Maude on the show. that says the producers were trying to make it a spinoff.

Well can you give me an intelligent answer as to why some CBS Affiliates aired the first ep of GT o Feb 1, 1974? Which was 4 days before Esther Rolle's last apperance of Maude-Feb 5, 1974. Explain That!!!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #23
James"Thunder"Early
Whoever's In New England

Quote:
Well can you give me an intelligent answer as to why some CBS Affiliates aired the first ep of GT o Feb 1, 1974? Which was 4 days before Esther Rolle's last apperance of Maude-Feb 5, 1974. Explain That!!!!!
That didn't have anything to do with the shows. afilliates do what the want sometimes.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #24
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

That's kinda simple actually. The spinoff pilot to Jackee Harry's show aired in some markets on NBC, while the character of Sandra Clark was still on 227. If the pilot was picked up, the show would have to write off the character. Thus, the new show aired, before the character left. The same could be said about the spinoff The Art of Being Nick.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #25
GARFIELDKOOL

Quote:

Even though I dropped out of this debate, let me just say this TVShowAnalyzer, you are a big fan of both shows, as well of Norman Lear's other shows, so you would know that Good Times IS a spinoff of Maude. I would think any fan of Norman Lear's shows would have common sense to know that.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #26
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Even though I dropped out of this debate, let me just say this TVShowAnalyzer, you are a big fan of both shows, as well of Norman Lear's other shows, so you would know that Good Times IS a spinoff of Maude. I would think any fan of Norman Lear's shows would have common sense to know that.

Yes I am a fan of both shows but I also have come across several articles, books, and Tv programs that confirmed that GT was not a spinoff. It's just too many things supporting my argument. No one can win-LOL
Old 03-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #27
James"Thunder"Early
Whoever's In New England

A spin-off in television is a new series which contains either characters or theme elements from an old series. They are particularly common in situation comedy.

This phenomenon was already established in radio before the advent of commercial broadcast television, for example The Great Gildersleeve was a spin-off of Fibber McGee and Molly.

Television spin-offs come in several variations, including:
  • A supporting character or characters in an existing series is given their own show in which they become the main focus. The original series continues and there may be some crossover of characters between the shows on occasion (e.g. Angel from Buffy The Vampire Slayer).
  • New characters are specially incorporated into an existing series for the sole purpose of being launched into their own show that will feature no regular characters from the original series, except possibly as guest appearances (e.g. Empty Nest from The Golden Girls, or Boston Legal from The Practice).
  • Regular characters from a series continue in their own series after the original series ends (e.g. George and Mildred and Robin's Nest from Man About the House; Frasier from Cheers). This is usually done with the same actors, though not always (e.g. Trapper John, M.D.).
  • A new series is started with the same theme as an existing series, though not necessarily with the same characters. Examples of this type are the Star Trek, Law & Order, and CSI series. These are sometimes called franchises. The reality shows Survivor, Big Brother and The Amazing Race also operate in this manner.
One notable case which is not a spin-off is when the same series is later remade. Examples include He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983, 2002) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987, 2003).

Many, if not all spinoffs, are produced by some of the original producers of the root show.

The current 'title holder', based on available information, is All In The Family for total number of spinoff series' (7, in 3 generations); there is an 8-way tie for greatest depth of spin-offs (3) (10-way, if you count game shows).

[edit]

List of spin-offs
Old 03-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #28
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phillips
A spin-off in television is a new series which contains either characters or theme elements from an old series. They are particularly common in situation comedy.

This phenomenon was already established in radio before the advent of commercial broadcast television, for example The Great Gildersleeve was a spin-off of Fibber McGee and Molly.

Television spin-offs come in several variations, including:
  • A supporting character or characters in an existing series is given their own show in which they become the main focus. The original series continues and there may be some crossover of characters between the shows on occasion (e.g. Angel from Buffy The Vampire Slayer).
  • New characters are specially incorporated into an existing series for the sole purpose of being launched into their own show that will feature no regular characters from the original series, except possibly as guest appearances (e.g. Empty Nest from The Golden Girls, or Boston Legal from The Practice).
  • Regular characters from a series continue in their own series after the original series ends (e.g. George and Mildred and Robin's Nest from Man About the House; Frasier from Cheers). This is usually done with the same actors, though not always (e.g. Trapper John, M.D.).
  • A new series is started with the same theme as an existing series, though not necessarily with the same characters. Examples of this type are the Star Trek, Law & Order, and CSI series. These are sometimes called franchises. The reality shows Survivor, Big Brother and The Amazing Race also operate in this manner.
One notable case which is not a spin-off is when the same series is later remade. Examples include He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983, 2002) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987, 2003).

Many, if not all spinoffs, are produced by some of the original producers of the root show.

The current 'title holder', based on available information, is All In The Family for total number of spinoff series' (7, in 3 generations); there is an 8-way tie for greatest depth of spin-offs (3) (10-way, if you count game shows).

[edit]

List of spin-offs

I saw two errors on that list. In The house is not a spinoff of Fresh Prince and Out of The Blue is not a spinoff of Happy Days
Old 03-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #29
GARFIELDKOOL

Quote:
I saw two errors on that list. In The house is not a spinoff of Fresh Prince and Out of The Blue is not a spinoff of Happy Days
Are you convinced now that Good Times is a spinoff from Maude?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #30
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Are you convinced now that Good Times is a spinoff from Maude?
NOPE, because the Executive Producer, Alan Manings said that GT was not a spinoff in 1974.