Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 23, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #61
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Year one was pretty good, but the network ignored the old saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it" for year two and it never regained it's momentum creatively or in the ratings.

When you have a smash hit top 10 show, you don't go changing the cast to make it more youthful because of some fershlugginer "demographics." Fred and Cora balanced out the cast as family and there was no need to get rid of them for season two.

I think everyone is losing sight of one thing, that Mork and Mindy didn't finish NUMBER ONE after it's first season so that's why changes were made. I don' think the producers were CONTENT with being #4 in the Country so that's why they were seeing what changes they could make to possibly be number one. I'm sure that going into the 1979-80 season, the attitude of the producers was-"How can we get better" instead of"Well since we were number 4 last year we don't need to change anything" So that's why changes were Made after season 1
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #62
T-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
I know but Lamont keeps talking about how DORKY Chachi was and seems to forget that Richie and Poysie were bigger dorks
The difference is Richie, Potsie and Ralph were supposed to be dorks...it made Fonzie look cooler, whereas Chachi just came off that way, although unintended.
T-Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #63
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Greg
The difference is Richie, Potsie and Ralph were supposed to be dorks...it made Fonzie look cooler, whereas Chachi just came off that way, although unintended.

Well I don't see DORKINESS when I watch the Chachi character. Maybe Lamont is trying to say he was CORNY which is a big Difference from DORKY
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #64
EmpressDR
Forum Regular

Oh No Changes to a show which ruin it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Year one was pretty good, but the network ignored the old saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it" for year two and it never regained it's momentum creatively or in the ratings.

When you have a smash hit top 10 show, you don't go changing the cast to make it more youthful because of some fershlugginer "demographics." Fred and Cora balanced out the cast as family and there was no need to get rid of them for season two.
Quote:
I think everyone is losing sight of one thing, that Mork and Mindy didn't finish NUMBER ONE after it's first season so that's why changes were made. I don' think the producers were CONTENT with being #4 in the Country so that's why they were seeing what changes they could make to possibly be number one. I'm sure that going into the 1979-80 season, the attitude of the producers was-"How can we get better" instead of"Well since we were number 4 last year we don't need to change anything" So that's why changes were Made after season 1
Which is sad thing, and exactly true. I was furious with Gary Marshall, and blamed him. I think these days, with the internet, and instant feedback, and viewers getting their say, they would've not been such dummies.

But I ought to visit the threads of James Komack's shows. If you ever read the autobiography of Dobie Gillis star Dwayne Hickman, you'd read of this hilarious section where Komack produced a comeback show for Dobie Gillis, and had a whole thing about how his "magic rings" told him what to do, and what would work. I remember Komack on The Mike Douglas Show, during the run of Chico and the Man, and Freddie Prinze mentioning it: "Ask him about his rings, " snickering while Komack went on about it.
The changes Komack made to the TV series 9-5 was to make it a jiggle-show, which negated the whole feminist theme. I think Jane Fonda was the Executive producer, and didn't pay attention to the fact that Komack had produced the T&A show about Stewardesses ( High Flight? Flying High? can't recall ), and hired Komack to improve the ratings, having only recalled the sweet "Courtship of Eddie's Father" which had several episodes with chauvinistic things, to my irritation. Otherwise, I'd thought Komack was cute as Norman, the photographer.
EmpressDR is offline   Reply With Quote