Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Britcoms Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Britcoms

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-03-2002, 12:00 AM   #1
PMills
Occasional Poster

Default What do you think makes British tv / film humor so unique ?

Why do you (seriously and / or humorously) think or don't think, that British tv and film humor is much better or more unique (or isn't) than other English speaking humor.
PMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 07:51 AM   #2
izzy
Occasional Poster

well i think its becuz in britain a different type of humour exsists and sometimes americans etc dont "get it" and dont realise the joke etc. with british films etc the jokes are a little more acsessable and i dunno, just different from other types as the humour varies. alot also is based on real life so thats always good, u ever seen The Royale Family, thats so funny cuz its just a normal family, with only 2 settings used.
i hope thats not a stupid answer!
iz
Old 04-28-2002, 10:19 AM   #3
TJL
Suburbanite Extrordinaire
Forum Celebrity

I think a lot of it has to do with the writing.
A show like "Blackadder" is loaded with quips and insults, not to mention Blackadder's use of metaphors.
Example -
"He's the most overrated human being since Judas Escariot won the AD 31 Best Disciple contest."

The jokes are very literate and intelligent. It's a shame that shows on this side of the pond do not try to be a little smarter in their writing. I'm not putting down American shows mind you.

'Frasier" probably is the only show on TV that comes close to the dry wit of the Britcoms.

Read my blogs!
http://centralparkamisguide.com/
http://dvdcriticscorner.com
Visit me on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641138880
Hey, I do the tweet thing too!
http://twitter.com/TomLevier
My shop of handmade items!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ColdGarageCreations
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 08:46 PM   #4
17Mar59
Frequent Poster

A bit from column A and a bit from column B,but I think also they're
more class conscious in especially the older Britcoms like AYBS
and that is something that you don't see too often on our sitcoms
over here,so it could also be a culture thing,that is we are from a
less class conscious society and the Brits have a more class conscious one.
Besides Are You Being Served another example of what I mean is
Keeping Up Appearances.
17Mar59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:32 PM   #5
sarageme
figment of a dream
Occasional Poster

I believe it is because they are odd looking (right words ???) their humor is funny and we don't watch them because they are just another pretty face. Does this make sense???? It seems in america that apperance is everything espically in LA and it does not seem like that in Britcoms

<center>
http://www.webspawner.com/users/sarageme123/hawke2.art</center>
sarageme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:36 AM   #6
jerry allen
Frequent Poster

it has to be the sophistication of the scripts or the lunacy of the actors (like Benny Hill or the Python bunch). over in England or wherever else besides the USA, i see it that attention isn't focused too much on a person's appearance. over here our TV headquarters (New York and L.A.) are so consumed with looks and as a result we've become an image conscience society. a perfect example is an actor over here named Andy Griffith. by society's standards he's not good looking and therefore the networks feel that nobody will watch him anymore. he had "The Andy Griffith Show" from 1960-1968 and "Matlock" from 1986-1995. well, if he came out with a show today he would not have hardly any support from the networks because of his age. that's the way the USA works. it's unfair and our country has proven that it'll only serve the young, good looking people. thank god for PBS!
jerry allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:21 AM   #7
FVChickadee
First Time Poster

Talking They laugh at themselves!

The Brits are so willing to laugh at themselves, and so you find them getting into situations that are hilarious, but you Americans are not wiling to laught at such things. I'm a Canadian and would much rather watch most Britcoms than most American sitcoms anyday. We here in the Great White North are willing to laugh at ourselves, too, but our sitcoms haven't been all that great, for the most part. Also, I don't find the Brits nearly as PC as many Americans. I'm not saying that people should be mean or offensive, and the Brits aren't as a rule, but they tend to go where other English speakers fear to tread. I also agree that there tends to be a certain intelligence in Britcoms that are lacking in a lot of North American shows, although it isn't really beyond the intelligence of the average person to understand it. Overall, Brits have fun with things and just seem to be a little crazy with it all. Way to go, Brits!
FVChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 07:16 AM   #8
Shalyse
Occasional Poster

Hey All

I love British tv, do n e of u like Brittas Empire??
I watch it evey night and can't help to laugh

I also love drama's that come out like Prime Suspect.....

British TV Rocks...

Shalyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 02:16 PM   #9
Heidi
Occasional Poster

Maybe it's more about the characters than some American shows. They seem to write the characters first and then give them funny lines that they would actually say. This is true of the best American sitcoms, too. It doesn't work to try and go for the laugh without paying attention to your characters and who they are. The British comedies seem to pay a lot of attention to their characters. All the ones I have seen are really about the people. Sometimes the lines are subtle in a way you don't usually find in American comedies. I don't think that makes them hard to get. It just makes them funnier.
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:59 PM   #10
webuster

Default well.

The way Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder) tells the jokes, making fun of the dumb Baldwick, he sounds much more sarcastic. I'm from Ireland though, but English actors (John Cleese) act as characters who seem very smart and clever, but bad things always happen to them, and they're actually very daft. It's funny seeing English actors being the butt of the jokes, which is probably why Fawlty Towers Worked.
webuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:43 AM   #11
Janice
Hollywood Swingin'
Administrator
Forum Junkie

oops
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
TheJoker
Occasional Poster

re: "Overall, Brits have fun with things and just seem to be a little crazy with it all. "
I agree FVchickadee! I arrived in the UK as a rather boring US teenager in the 60s, having somehow missed the insertion of a Sense-O-Humour gene. By the time I left a decade later, I was bitten by the infectious British Sense-O-Humour bug. Problem solved! I think Benny Hill triggered the "infection", and I never l@@ked back . Living in rural Suffolk, many of my friends resembled the Vicar of Dibley cast, and I think it rubbed off on me. Of course, on this side of the pond I often draw blank stares (or worse ) when I expose my Pythonic style wit.
Still, AYBS and other Britcoms are making inroads I never thought I'd see over hEre. Blimey! The roads hEre are even filled with Minis these days! EastEnders is on tele! It makes me feel like flying the Union Jack again! (sob...sob) Long live BritComs!
TheJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
rc.uk
Occasional Poster

I think one thing that has helped British sitcoms over the years is the relative lack of funding from the BBC and ITV. Over in the States, your television business is huge and your broadcasters have millions to splash around on TV series. Over here, it is quite different -- especially with the BBC. The BBC is funded by the licence fee (a tax on every household that contains a TV set) so they are much more accountable to the public. They can't be seen to be splashing money around. Over the years, that has meant sitcoms (and dramas) have only had around 6-10 episodes per year. I think that has helped a lot. Some of the American shows I watch have so many episodes per season that some are very weak and the format and running gags become a bit tiresome after a while. With there being so few episodes of British sitcoms, the humour is appreciated more and every episode (on the whole) is top class.
rc.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
Tyrone Biggams
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi
Maybe it's more about the characters than some American shows. They seem to write the characters first and then give them funny lines that they would actually say. This is true of the best American sitcoms, too. It doesn't work to try and go for the laugh without paying attention to your characters and who they are. The British comedies seem to pay a lot of attention to their characters. All the ones I have seen are really about the people. Sometimes the lines are subtle in a way you don't usually find in American comedies. I don't think that makes them hard to get. It just makes them funnier.
i totally agree with this statement. Next time you watch a Brit show, notice that each character no matter how small the role is, plays a key part in the overall story line. The story is filled with rich characters, which makes the story better. If watch tv here, its more based on one or two main characters and the rest are just extras. Only the really good sitcoms like Seinfied, Simpsons, had good characters (every character palys an important role in the story) i actually remember most of the characters from these two shows lol
Tyrone Biggams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #15
adreed24
Occasional Poster

I saw a British comedian on an American talk show and the interviewer asked him: What is the difference between British and American comedy.

The comedian said that British humor/comedy is more "quick to deliver the joke". American humor/comedy has to "set up the joke, then deliver the punchline", which makes it "flow" more slowly.

I think all of you are making good points. I did not think there was much of a difference between American and British TV, until I spoke with a nurse I met who was born in the U.S., then moved to England as a small child, then came back to the U.S. as an adult. She told me when she first came back, she couldn't believe how many TV shows and networks we had here, compared to England.
adreed24 is offline   Reply With Quote