Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery

Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series (2019 Release) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer
Antenna TV's Bewitched Double the Darrins Father's Day Marathon; HBO Max Renews Hacks for 2nd Season
COZI TV Father's Day Marathon: Herman Munster vs. Dan Conner; Paramount+ Bolsters Offerings This Summer
Who Are You, Charlie Brown? Debuts June 25 on Apple TV+; FX, FXX and FX on Hulu Announce 8 Premieres for Summer/Early Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 7, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #46
Jack1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLittlePiggy
Love your post!

Yes, nobody could replace Larry and his apple. I don't know the story of the actor's mother - did she not want him to continue on the series?

Sometimes Richard, Whitey, and Gilbert got on my nerves. But Larry never did.

I agree with you about Wally the heartthrob too! Dreamy!
There are a few accounts of the story. Most sources say Rusty moved away with his family. Barbara gave this account below:

Rusty's Mother was one of those over-domineering "stage mothers" trying to get into everybody's business as to how she wanted things done. She was very controlling.

In contrast, everyone LOVED Rusty and Rusty was great to everyone. They kept him on probably longer than they wanted because of Larry's chemistry to the show.

However, sometime after the end of season 3 and very early into season 4, the producers decided that Mrs. Stevens was causing too much tension on the set for the cast and crew with her domination and they had no choice but to let Larry off the show.

After this, they had one last episode in Season 4 with Larry "The Big Contest" when Beaver wins the sports car. But Larry is not referred to by name.

Rusty's brother Rory appeared also as a "Little Boy" in "Wally the Businessman" and also later as Chuckie Murdock. Rusty actually moved away to either Philadelphia or New Jersey. (sources say different things.) Barbara was the only one in an interview who went into detail about Rusty's Mother and the problems with her. Everyone thought Barbara was a saint. For her to say anything bad about anybody easily illustrates how problematic Mrs. Stevens must have been.

Jack

Last edited by Jack1000; 11-13-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Jack1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #47
BlueJasmine
Frequent Poster

Biggrin

Quote:
Love your post!

Yes, nobody could replace Larry and his apple. I don't know the story of the actor's mother - did she not want him to continue on the series?

Sometimes Richard, Whitey, and Gilbert got on my nerves. But Larry never did.

I agree with you about Wally the heartthrob too! Dreamy!
Thank you! I am so psyched to have found this board (I knew I had to find a message board like this sooner or later ) because now I can FINALLY talk about all these shows I'm getting to watch again on METV

I agree with you about some of the other show kids. Richard didn't work for me at all, and Gilbert was very hit-or-miss. (I did like Whitey, but not as a bff for Beaver.) But Beaver and Larry just clicked together so well that they almost made you believe that they were real, rather than characters. They really seemed like best friends

Yes, Wally was DEFINITELY dreamy! (Be still, my )

About Rusty Stevens--apparently, his mom was a real stage mom and (according to Barbara Billingsley), drove the producers so crazy that they let Rusty go Big mistake, imo
BlueJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #48
BlueJasmine
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1000
There are a few accounts of the story. Most sources say Rusty moved away with his family. Barbara gave this account below:

Rusty's Mother was one of those over-domineering "stage mothers" trying to get into everybody's business as to how she wanted things done. She was very controlling.

In contrast, everyone LOVED Rusty and Rusty was great to everyone. They kept him on probably longer than they wanted because of Larry's chemistry to the show.

However, sometime after the end of season 3 and very early into season 4, the producers decided that Mrs. Stevens was causing too much tension on the set for the cast and crew with her domination and they had no choice but to let Larry off the show.

After this, they had one last episode in Season 4 with Larry "The Big Contest" when Beaver wins the sports car. But Larry is not referred to by name.

Larry's brother Rory appeared also as a "Little Boy" in "Wally the Businessman" and also later as Chuckie Murdock. Larry actually moved away to either Philadelphia or New Jersey. (sources say different things.) Barbara was the only one in an interview who went into detail about Rusty's Mother and the problems with her. Everyone thought Barbara was a saint. For her to say anything bad about anybody easily illustrates how problematic Mrs. Stevens must have been.

Jack
Thank you for giving a more detailed answer than I did (I also read that everybody loved Rusty But, apparently, his mother was creating too many problems ) Damn shame, if it's true.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #49
Jack1000

Quote:

Rusty's brother Rory appeared also as a "Little Boy" in "Wally the Businessman" and also later as Chuckie Murdock. Rusty actually moved away to either Philadelphia or New Jersey. (sources say different things.) Barbara was the only one in an interview who went into detail about Rusty's Mother and the problems with her. Everyone thought Barbara was a saint. For her to say anything bad about anybody easily illustrates how problematic Mrs. Stevens must have been.

Jack
Corrections above: Post had originally referred to Rusty as "Larry" in discussion. It has been corrected.

Jack
Jack1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #50
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontaine
Although I usually like the "totally grounded in reality" shows, I have to admit that "In The Soup" made me laugh more than any other episode. Eddie's switch from "Some stupid kid got stuck" to "Some unfortunate young person is trapped" (when Ward was there) was priceless.
In The Soup is one of my favorites.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #51
ThisLittlePiggy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Rusty actually moved away to either Philadelphia or New Jersey. (sources say different things.) Barbara was the only one in an interview who went into detail about Rusty's Mother and the problems with her. Everyone thought Barbara was a saint. For her to say anything bad about anybody easily illustrates how problematic Mrs. Stevens must have been.

Jack
Very interesting back stage drama. I never knew that. I always wished that Larry could have stayed on the show longer.
ThisLittlePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #52
ThisLittlePiggy
Forum Veteran

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJasmine
Thank you! I am so psyched to have found this board (I knew I had to find a message board like this sooner or later ) because now I can FINALLY talk about all these shows I'm getting to watch again on METV

I agree with you about some of the other show kids. Richard didn't work for me at all, and Gilbert was very hit-or-miss. (I did like Whitey, but not as a bff for Beaver.) But Beaver and Larry just clicked together so well that they almost made you believe that they were real, rather than characters. They really seemed like best friends

Yes, Wally was DEFINITELY dreamy! (Be still, my )

About Rusty Stevens--apparently, his mom was a real stage mom and (according to Barbara Billingsley), drove the producers so crazy that they let Rusty go Big mistake, imo
I feel the same way about finding this forum.

Gilbert was kind of mean and got Beaver into trouble when they were a bit older.

Richard was okay I guess. Whitey was probably my 2nd fave friend after Larry.

Wally was a dreamboat!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #53
ThisLittlePiggy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
In The Soup is one of my favorites.
In The Soup is a favorite of mine too. I got a little mad at Whitey for egging Beaver on, but I was also proud of Beaver for being so brave LOL.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #54
jehobden

Quote:

Jack
I never knew that Rory Stevens was Rusty Stevens' brother. I never thought of the 2 of them being related before. Rusty did continue working on tv in the early '60s on shows like Perry Mason & The Rifleman. Rory, in addition to his LitB appearances, after Rusty had left, appeared regularly on tv & movies through the 70s, including appearances on The Munsters (w/ LitB's producers), The Brady Bunch, Room 222, and Carrie.
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #55
BlueJasmine
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I feel the same way about finding this forum.

Gilbert was kind of mean and got Beaver into trouble when they were a bit older.

Richard was okay I guess. Whitey was probably my 2nd fave friend after Larry.

Wally was a dreamboat!
Gilbert really was kind of mean, wasn't he? (Although, there was one ep with Gilbert that I liked. It was the one where he and Beaver were sitting in Ward's car, pretending to be driving and they were also pretending that they were parents and were yelling at their imaginary kids in the back seat That was hysterical!!! )

Whitey was my second favorite, too I liked the way he would call Beaver and always say something like, " Hi, I'd like to talk to Beaver, if his father isn't yelling at him." But Larry is definitely my fave

Wally DEFINITELY was a dreamboat! (But, and you probably will think that I'm crazy , but I always thought that Eddie was kind of hot, too )
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #56
BlueJasmine
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
I never knew that Rory Stevens was Rusty Stevens' brother. I never thought of the 2 of them being related before. Rusty did continue working on tv in the early '60s on shows like Perry Mason & The Rifleman. Rory, in addition to his LitB appearances, after Rusty had left, appeared regularly on tv & movies through the 70s, including appearances on The Munsters (w/ LitB's producers), The Brady Bunch, Room 222, and Carrie.
I actually saw Rusty on Perry Mason sometime in the last week or two! It was The Case of the Dodging Domino (I think ). He played a kid in a Halloween costume (I didn't even recognize him, until I saw his name in the credits )
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #57
ThisLittlePiggy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Gilbert really was kind of mean, wasn't he? (Although, there was one ep with Gilbert that I liked. It was the one where he and Beaver were sitting in Ward's car, pretending to be driving and they were also pretending that they were parents and were yelling at their imaginary kids in the back seat That was hysterical!!! )

Whitey was my second favorite, too I liked the way he would call Beaver and always say something like, " Hi, I'd like to talk to Beaver, if his father isn't yelling at him." But Larry is definitely my fave

Wally DEFINITELY was a dreamboat! (But, and you probably will think that I'm crazy , but I always thought that Eddie was kind of hot, too )
OMG, LOL! I agree with EVERYTHING you said.

I remember that one ep with Gilbert and it WAS funny! I kind of didn't like Gilbert's voice. It grated on my nerves.

Wally had a smooooooooooooooooth voice.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #58
BlueJasmine
Frequent Poster

Quote:
OMG, LOL! I agree with EVERYTHING you said.

I remember that one ep with Gilbert and it WAS funny! I kind of didn't like Gilbert's voice. It grated on my nerves.

Wally had a smooooooooooooooooth voice.

Wally's voice definitely improved as he got older (as did Wally himself ) During the first season or 2, his voice sounded kind of scratchy, almost like he had a sore throat all the time

Gilbert had a very distinctive voice, for sure You would recognize it anywhere (as I did recently while watching Perry Mason. The actor who played Gilbert was on this particular episode and I recognized his voice before I recognized him! )
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #59
ThisLittlePiggy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Wally's voice definitely improved as he got older (as did Wally himself ) During the first season or 2, his voice sounded kind of scratchy, almost like he had a sore throat all the time

Gilbert had a very distinctive voice, for sure You would recognize it anywhere (as I did recently while watching Perry Mason. The actor who played Gilbert was on this particular episode and I recognized his voice before I recognized him! )
I know what you mean about Wally's voice when he was younger. It was kind of scratchy. But as he got older, it smoothed out.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #60
Scrabjan1

I think I have to vote for Beaver the Bunny. I can't even watch that one. I also didn't care for Silent Treatment. I'm also not a fan of In the Soup even though it's very popular. I really like Box Office Attraction because you see another side of life in Mayfield. "Hey Hank put another dime in the machine, huh?"

Also that scene between Eddie and Captain Drake at the fishing office about how Eddie will fare on the open seas is hilarious. "What happens if someone gets a fishhook in their hand?" "Don't worry we just cut off your hand and use it for bait."
Scrabjan1 is offline   Reply With Quote