Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery

Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series (2019 Release) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock
CNN's History of the Sitcom Premieres July 11; Miracle Workers Returns to TBS for 3rd Season This Summer
Antenna TV's Bewitched Double the Darrins Father's Day Marathon; HBO Max Renews Hacks for 2nd Season
COZI TV Father's Day Marathon: Herman Munster vs. Dan Conner; Paramount+ Bolsters Offerings This Summer
Who Are You, Charlie Brown? Debuts June 25 on Apple TV+; FX, FXX and FX on Hulu Announce 8 Premieres for Summer/Early Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 7, 2021)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
Hughsgirl
Forum Regular

It's not like I didn't like the episode "Silent Treatment", but I think they could have made it more believable in regards to Ward's reaction to Beaver's mean behavior toward June. First of all, Ward was smarter then what they made him, he would have caught on immmediately to what he was doing to June. Second of all, when he di find out the score, he still beat around the bush with the kid instead of flat out telling him to treat his mother with some respect. In many episodes we hear Ward saying something like, "You have upset your mother" or "You have worried your mother" or "Don't upset your mother." In other words, Ward has always been somewhat protective of June's feelings so it's unbelievable to me that he didn't even warn Beaver that if he didn't straighten up that he would take him to the shed. He had Beaver thinking that he had gotten away with hurting June's feelings until Wally said his father about clobbered him. I think this is one episode where Ward should have let the kid have it!
Hughsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #32
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
During the 6th season, the series had some subtle changes and a few weaker episodes slipped into the mix. A couple of those are "Beaver On TV" and "Box Office Attraction". Not saying these are bad episodes, they're just different. Box Office Attraction is unusual for a LITB episode in the fact it ends on a somber, dramatic note. Wally's dream girl ends up not being the type of girl he thought she was. Beaver On TV almost plays out like a spoof of the Twilight Zone, kind of a weird episode. I've noticed in the last season of LITB, other TV shows of the era sometimes get a mention in the episodes. McHale's Navy, The Untouchables, Twilight Zone, Jack Paar, Captain Kangaroo, all of these get a mention at one time or another. That's unusual. I think LITB ended at the right time, 6 seasons was enough. That last season took a bit of a different direction, a little more mature, a little more serious. The series had lost some of the innocence it previously had, but then again Beaver and Wally were getting older. Some scripts worked and other scripts didn't go over as well.

Wally graduated from high school in the 6th season, but he was said to have already been in high school in the 2nd season. That would have been 5 years in high school for Wally, that is wrong. There's a discrepancy in the continuity of Beaver's school years also. So I just figure that during the shows 6 season duration, Wally attended the 7th thru 12th grades, and Beaver attended 3rd thru 8th grade. Both moving up one grade per season. That would be correct.
Actually "Beaver on TV" is one of my favorites, with all its contemporary references. I especially took it as an inside joke when Gilbert was talking about Rod Serling, since Stephen Talbot himself made two TZ appearances around the same time he was playing Gilbert. "Box Office Attraction" did seem a bit sophisticated for LitB. From what I remember, Wally may have gotten his only serious kiss in that episode.

I also noticed that it took Wally 6 years to get through 5 grades. I think that the "repeated" grade must have happened around Season 4, since it was definitely stated that Wally, Eddie & Lumpy were in 10th grade when Eddie & Lumpy tried to cheat on their history test in Season 3.

Speaking of repeated grades, Lumpy did even worse, since I think he was supposed to be 16 years old and well into high school in Season 1. For him to be Eddie & Wally's age and in their grade, he had to go backward a few grades!
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #33
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

It was mentioned in season three that Lumpy had to repeat the 10th grade.

Also about Wally moving up in grades, I posted a seperate thread here about that.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #34
Cincy Guy
Frequent Poster

I've always liked the "Box Office Attraction" episode. It shows how Wally is tempted by: smoking, drinking, and an agressive girl; yet he maintains his standards. Such circumstances have taken place in many of our lives.

Of interest, Diane Sayer, who played "Marlene" in that episode was actually seven years older than Tony Dow. Sadly, she passed away from cancer in 2001 at the age of 63.
Cincy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #35
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
"The Poor Loser" and "The Book Report" showed a lack of maturity on Beaver's part too, though Beaver's description of The Three Musketeers having watched a comedy movie was funny.
It was not unlike George Constanza watching the VHS of Breakfast at Tiffaniy's instead of reading the book.
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #36
Jack1000

Quote:
Beaver On TV almost plays out like a spoof of the Twilight Zone, kind of a weird episode.
Many celebrities named in this episode! How many can you name?

Jack
Jack1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughsgirl
It's not like I didn't like the episode "Silent Treatment", but I think they could have made it more believable in regards to Ward's reaction to Beaver's mean behavior toward June. First of all, Ward was smarter then what they made him, he would have caught on immmediately to what he was doing to June. Second of all, when he di find out the score, he still beat around the bush with the kid instead of flat out telling him to treat his mother with some respect. In many episodes we hear Ward saying something like, "You have upset your mother" or "You have worried your mother" or "Don't upset your mother." In other words, Ward has always been somewhat protective of June's feelings so it's unbelievable to me that he didn't even warn Beaver that if he didn't straighten up that he would take him to the shed. He had Beaver thinking that he had gotten away with hurting June's feelings until Wally said his father about clobbered him. I think this is one episode where Ward should have let the kid have it!
I agree about Ward, he seemed too slow on figuring out what Beaver was doing to June.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #38
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
The only thing about Box Office Attractionis the scene where Marlene makes Wally pull over, and then pulls him in a kiss, and Wally is stunned. I think that was overdone. Keep in mind Wally was a straight 18 year old boy. I dont think most boys would push away a pretty girl making the first moves. Its usually the other way around with the boy making the first move, and the girl pushing him off.
His reaction was hilarious. "Golly!"
Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #39
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1000
Many celebrities named in this episode! How many can you name?

Jack
It was definitely a pop culture episode, they even mention The Twilight Zone.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
I've seen adults do it.
This exactly.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #41
Fontaine
Frequent Poster

Although I usually like the "totally grounded in reality" shows, I have to admit that "In The Soup" made me laugh more than any other episode. Eddie's switch from "Some stupid kid got stuck" to "Some unfortunate young person is trapped" (when Ward was there) was priceless.
Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #42
ThisLittlePiggy
Forum Veteran

Beaver's Autobiography is not a favorite.
ThisLittlePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #43
BlueJasmine
Frequent Poster

Nodsmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluthree
Agreed!!!!

Me, too!!! A bad Beaver episode??? What???

Seriously, though, I do think there were a few weak ones after Larry Mondello "disappeared" and the show's brass was trying to find a new best friend for Beaver (such as Gilbert or Whitey). If you watch these eps, it almost looks as though they're auditioning these kids onscreen to see if they could step into Rusty Stevens' shoes. Unfortunately, they couldn't because while these kids were good little actors, and funny, they were much better suited to being Beaver's school pals. Just being funny wasn't enough if you wanted to be Beaver's bff, you really had to be hilarious--and Larry Mondello, imo, fit that bill to a T (In fact, you could almost say that Larry was Beaver's Eddie Haskell ) And I don't think it was a coincidence that shortly after TPTB made several attempts to replace Larry as Beaver's best friend (without much success), they then shifted the focus for the remaining 3 years much more to Wally (and Eddie, of course) and away from Beaver. (And, of course, Wally turning into such a heart-throb didn't hurt, either ) I really wish that the producers had found a way to work things out with Rusty's mom (assuming that those stories are true), because, imo, Larry turned out to be irreplacable

Last edited by BlueJasmine; 11-13-2013 at 02:59 AM.
BlueJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
ThisLittlePiggy
Forum Veteran

Love your post!

Yes, nobody could replace Larry and his apple. I don't know the story of the actor's mother - did she not want him to continue on the series?

Sometimes Richard, Whitey, and Gilbert got on my nerves. But Larry never did.

I agree with you about Wally the heartthrob too! Dreamy!
ThisLittlePiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #45
Jack1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLittlePiggy
Beaver's Autobiography is not a favorite.
I like that one! Beaver has some good lines! "After two pages, my life was all used up."

Beaver: "Betsy's real good at stretching stuff out She's gonna write that when I was born the rain was beating against the Window Pane, saying "Pitter-Patter, Pitter-Patter, Pitter-Patter."

Wally: "You can't have a whole page of nothing but pitter-patters!" LOL! I don't know about this, having a girl write a guy's autobiography."

Beaver: "She was head of her English class at Bellport. What's wrong with her helping me?"

Wally: "Look Beaver, suppose she forgets herself and starts writing about the first time she went to the beauty parlor. Or the first pair of stockings she ever bought!. Mr. Thompson might get up and read that to the whole class!"

Jack
Jack1000 is offline   Reply With Quote