Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery

Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series (2019 Release) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

With "In The Soup", Beaver was still young enough at the end of the 4th season to make the episode somewhat believable. Had this been the back half of the 5th season or the 6th season, it wouldn't have worked nearly as well. Still, Beaver was silly to climb that billboard and look inside the cup. Boys will be boys.

Another 6th season episode that doesn't work too well is "Beaver Joins A Record Club". The basic idea behind the episode is fine, but Beaver ignoring the invoices as the records are mailed doesn't ring true. He should have been old enough at that point to not be so irresponsible. Then he had to ask help from his father to clear up the mess. Not really a believable episode.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
MickeyMac
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
With "In The Soup", Beaver was still young enough at the end of the 4th season to make the episode somewhat believable. Had this been the back half of the 5th season or the 6th season, it wouldn't have worked nearly as well. Still, Beaver was silly to climb that billboard and look inside the cup. Boys will be boys.

Another 6th season episode that doesn't work too well is "Beaver Joins A Record Club". The basic idea behind the episode is fine, but Beaver ignoring the invoices as the records are mailed doesn't ring true. He should have been old enough at that point to not be so irresponsible. Then he had to ask help from his father to clear up the mess. Not really a believable episode.

I see your point about Beaver and the record club, but I can easily seeing him and someone else his age getting himself in a mess like that. I've seen adults do it.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
McGillicuddy
Forum Veteran

How about "Beaver's Skates" ? This episode is a little far-fetched. Beaver gets scammed into buying skates too big for him, but is afraid to tell his parents. He tells them he's going skating every day, but goes to the Library instead.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #19
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
I see your point about Beaver and the record club, but I can easily seeing him and someone else his age getting himself in a mess like that. I've seen adults do it.
The record club episode was probably topical for the time, those things were getting popular in the early 60's and Beaver was getting to the age where he began to appreciate music. With those record club deals, it was always advisable to understand all the terms and read the fine print, otherwise the consumer would likely end up getting more than they bargained for. Looks like Beaver just jumped into the deal without paying full attention to the terms.

It was the writers job to come up with stories for the episodes, most of the time they hit the mark, a few times they were a little off. Leave It To Beaver in the 6th season was a series in transition, it's a slightly darker season with subtle touches of occasional drama. It's different from the previous five seasons, to be sure. I like the theme music for season 6, IMO it's the best version.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #20
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:

Wally graduated from high school in the 6th season, but he was said to have already been in high school in the 2nd season. That would have been 5 years in high school for Wally, that is wrong.
Grade 8,9,10,11,12. 5 years.
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666
Grade 8,9,10,11,12. 5 years.
I guess I will have to spell it out for you in detail. In the 2nd season Wally was said to have started high school, that would have been the 9th grade. I don't know of any five year high schools that go to the 13th grade. The only way Wally could have attended high school in seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 is if he flunked a grade and had to repeat it over. That didn't happen. So following it logically, Wally should really have been in the 8th grade in the 2nd season, the last year of grammar school, not a 9th grader in high school.

It was the opposite thing with Beaver. He was always behind a grade. He was said to have been attending the 4th grade when he should have been in the 5th, said to have been attending the 5th grade when he should have been in the 6th, etc. Then all of a sudden in the 6th season, they finally get it right and Beaver is an 8th grader preparing to graduate from grammar school. But going by what was said in previous seasons, Beaver would have been a 7th grader in season 6. For example, I think there are couple times in the 1st season where Beaver is said to be a 2nd grader. And in the 4th season, he is said to be in the 5th grade. If that was the case, then in the 6th season he should have been in 7th grade, not 8th. Unless he got double promoted somewhere along the way, and that didn't happen either.

In season 6, if Wally graduated from high school and Beaver graduated from grammar school, in season 1 Wally would have been a 7th grader and Beaver a 3rd grader. Each boy moving up one grade per season. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 for Wally. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 for Beaver. That's the proper logic, but the series usually didn't follow this logical pattern.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever; 09-30-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
During the 6th season, the series had some subtle changes and a few weaker episodes slipped into the mix. A couple of those are "Beaver On TV" and "Box Office Attraction". Not saying these are bad episodes, they're just different. Box Office Attraction is unusual for a LITB episode in the fact it ends on a somber, dramatic note. Wally's dream girl ends up not being the type of girl he thought she was.
"Box Office Attraction" really is unusual; with some exceptions in other episodes like Beaver letting the hobo in the house or befriending the two boys who are economically disadvantaged, we mostly see people who are sort of the "upper crust" associating with the Cleavers -- so it's interesting to see how others of differing socio-economic status are handled, this time with Dow's character as the center of attention.

The actress playing Wally's crush does a nice job. She certainly succeeds in portraying a more grown-up woman than Wally usually goes for. Her character and that of the tennis player combine to show that Wally is moving beyond typical schoolgirl attractions.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
TerReuv
Occasional Poster

Quote:
I guess I will have to spell it out for you in detail. In the 2nd season Wally was said to have started high school, that would have been the 9th grade. I don't know of any five year high schools that go to the 13th grade. The only way Wally could have attended high school in seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 is if he flunked a grade and had to repeat it over. That didn't happen. So following it logically, Wally should really have been in the 8th grade in the 2nd season, the last year of grammar school, not a 9th grader in high school.
No need to be snarky. Actually visaman666 is correct. If you went where there was no Jr High. I went to elementary school from 1st to 7th grade. Started High School as a 7th grader. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 - 5 years! Don't be so quick to jump on people.
TerReuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerReuv
No need to be snarky. Actually visaman666 is correct. If you went where there was no Jr High. I went to elementary school from 1st to 7th grade. Started High School as a 7th grader. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 - 5 years! Don't be so quick to jump on people.
Junior high or no junior high, it doesn't matter it's still overall the same number of grades. In the 6th season of Leave It To Beaver, Wally graduated high school (12th grade) and Beaver graduated grammar school (8th grade). So in the 1st season of the show, Wally would have been a 7th grader and Beaver a 3rd grader. But there are discrepancies in episodes of the series that don't follow this pattern. For example, in a 3rd season episode Wally is said to be a sophomore in high school. If that were true, Wally would have graduated in the 5th season, not the 6th. So in the 3rd season, Wally would logically have been a high school freshman (9th grade), not sophomore (10th grade). That is the point I'm trying to make. During the course of the series, the grades Wally and Beaver are said to be attending don't corrolate with the grades they attended in the last season of the show.

And where did you learn your math? 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. That's 6 years, not 5.

And for the record, I didn't jump on anyone, visaman was "snarky" with me which resulted in my response.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever; 01-24-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #25
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
I disliked "The Silent Treatment" more than just about any Season 6 episode (although that season is my favorite overall) because it had Beaver acting so childishly and Ward & June acting so stupidly, unable to see Beaver's favoritism for Ward over June while Wally could see it clearly. "The Poor Loser" and "The Book Report" showed a lack of maturity on Beaver's part too, though Beaver's description of The Three Musketeers having watched a comedy movie was funny.

"Don Juan Beaver" has a funny ending to me, with Beaver dancing to that same generic rock tune which seemed to be heard in a lot of late LItB episodes but then pretending to be chastened by the punishment of having no date for the school dance when Ward went in to talk with him.
I've seen kids Beaver's age(and older) in The Silent Treatment act far more childish and immature than Beaver did in real life, so I never had a problem with the episode. There's some teens 16 and 17 that act that way.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
Cincy Guy
Frequent Poster

There is an episode where Beaver & Wally buy stock in a company and even have a difference of opinion with Eddie about which one to purchase. This one doesn't have the same funny jolt as many of the others, but, at the same time, doing something like buying stocks is more believeable.
Cincy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
MickeyMac
Forum Celebrity

The only thing about Box Office Attractionis the scene where Marlene makes Wally pull over, and then pulls him in a kiss, and Wally is stunned. I think that was overdone. Keep in mind Wally was a straight 18 year old boy. I dont think most boys would push away a pretty girl making the first moves. Its usually the other way around with the boy making the first move, and the girl pushing him off.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
retroTVfan4ever
PAS/IHE
Forum 4K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
The only thing about Box Office Attractionis the scene where Marlene makes Wally pull over, and then pulls him in a kiss, and Wally is stunned. I think that was overdone. Keep in mind Wally was a straight 18 year old boy. I dont think most boys would push away a pretty girl making the first moves. Its usually the other way around with the boy making the first move, and the girl pushing him off.
Wally in this show was a squeaky clean kid, had he been the one to make the moves on Marlene it probably would have been a shock to the viewers and ruin his reputation. Also, Marlene putting the moves on Wally made sense as she was the experienced older chick who'd been around the block already a few times.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #29
clj2
Forum 3K Club Member

The Silent Treatment, by far. I can't stand that episode...it was just no good.

I don't like several of the first episodes, but I don't like that early one with Beaver and Violet.

clj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #30
MickeyMac
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Wally in this show was a squeaky clean kid, had he been the one to make the moves on Marlene it probably would have been a shock to the viewers and ruin his reputation. Also, Marlene putting the moves on Wally made sense as she was the experienced older chick who'd been around the block already a few times.

Thats true, but most boys (even back in the early 60's) wouldnt' have objected to a girl making the first move.

I guess for the TV show, Wally had to be innocent.