Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

PB's What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!! Mini Page / What's Happening!! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / What's Happening!! Photo Gallery / What's Happening Now!! Message Board


What's Happening!! - The Complete First Season

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete First Season on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Second Season

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Second Season on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Third Season

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Third Season on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Sony)

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Sony) on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > What's Happening!!

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default The Creators of this show didn't learn anything from the show-"That's My Mama?

The fact that THat's My Mama was cancelled should have been enough for the creators of this show to know that Single parent family was not working on a sitcom. A mother on a sitcom without a Husband makes her existence POINTLESS. The writers finally figured it out but it wasn't until season 2. Thats why her role decreased because she wasn't NEEDED-lol The episode with Raj and Rerun in their own apartment and Mabel not staying her ass home made me just want to SCREAM!!!!!!!!!. From day one she just was always in the way Constantly in the way and just not fun to watch at all. Mabel should have demanded that her character meet a guy and get married so her role could have increased. But it was no way it was going to increase without a Husband
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Her not having a man didn't decrease her role. It was the fact that the writers were more interested focusing on the kids at the soda shop.
__________________
The Key to the Kingdom of Heaven: John 3:3

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Janice
God Bless America
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
 
Janice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2001
Location: Beantown
Posts: 36,190
Default

She started off as a single mother? Where was her husband?
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
Her not having a man didn't decrease her role. It was the fact that the writers were more interested focusing on the kids at the soda shop.

That's because it was not too much you could do with her character since there was no man in her life
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Her husband ran off on her and the kids. He eventually came back and actually got remarried in the Thomas' house.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
She started off as a single mother? Where was her husband?

The character named BILL, who was the Father but he and Mabel had seperated. I think it would have been more interesting to have Bill and Mabel as a couple with their kids Raj and Dee from Day 1
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
That's because it was not too much you could do with her character since there was no man in her life
There was plenty they could do, they just didn't do it.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
The character named BILL, who was the Father but he and Mabel had seperated. I think it would have been more interesting to have Bill and Mabel as a couple with their kids Raj and Dee from Day 1

I will agree with that.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #9
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
There was plenty they could do, they just didn't do it.

Brian a show revolving around a single mother just doesn't work. Something had to happen for the changes in the show to occur like letters to the Network saying-"can the show be focused less on the Mother and more on the Kids? The TVresearcher will find out-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Brian a show revolving around a single mother just doesn't work. Something had to happen for the changes in the show to occur like letters to the Network saying-"can the show be focused less on the Mother and more on the Kids? The TVresearcher will find out-lol

I disagree with that.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
I disagree with that.

Brian they had to receive feedback in order for Mama to be seen less-lol They would make the changes because they dislike mabel as a person. How else would you explain the decreasing role of your girl Mabel?-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Brian they had to receive feedback in order for Mama to be seen less-lol They would make the changes because they dislike mabel as a person. How else would you explain the decreasing role of your girl Mabel?-lol

Because this was a show about the teens, not about Raj's family life.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
Because this was a show about the teens, not about Raj's family life.

Well the Change was defintely a smart move-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #14
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend
 
Brian Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2002
Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Posts: 62,616
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Well the Change was defintely a smart move-lol

Mabel King was a good balance to have on the show.
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
Mabel King was a good balance to have on the show.

You didn't like her better when Bill was around her? I mean she was never around anyone who was her age. I will admit that I could watch her when she was in scenes with Bill. But to Just be sitting around the guys in the living room, IN THE WAY was working-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.