Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

PB's What's Happening!! and What's Happening Now!! Mini Page / What's Happening!! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / What's Happening!! Photo Gallery / What's Happening Now!! Message Board

What's Happening!! - The Complete First Season

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete First Season on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Second Season

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Second Season on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Third Season

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Third Season on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Sony)

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Sony) on DVD
What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy What's Happening!! - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > What's Happening!!

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering Ren Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
nerrad

Default That Doobie Brothers show was unrealistic

I used to read this on jumptheshark.com. How could three black teens from Watts become attached to the Doobie Brothers, of all groups? Don't get me wrong, I dug some of their music, but I was always into (and still is) Parliament/Funkadelic, Earth Wind and Fire, Bar-kays, etc.
nerrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Brieannas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad
I used to read this on jumptheshark.com. How could three black teens from Watts become attached to the Doobie Brothers, of all groups? Don't get me wrong, I dug some of their music, but I was always into (and still is) Parliament/Funkadelic, Earth Wind and Fire, Bar-kays, etc.

My Mom is black and she liked the Doobie Brothers when she was a kid. I don't think your location or your race has anything to do with your taste in music. It's all about what you like you and your personal style and taste in music.
Brieannas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad
The Doobie Brothers were da bomb!!! they crossed all racial barriers. As a matter of fact, it was mentioned on the show that the "group" had attended the school that the guys went to. Or at least some of the members had.

growing up listening to the Doobies, I seen all kinds of people love their music. Go to their concerts still and see the demographics of the people that attend: bikers, doctors, blacks, hispanics, old, young, rich, middle-class etc.

I have most of their albums (yes albums) and I had to go buy their CD's when Cd's became the mode.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
msladysoul
Frequent Poster

I like the Doobie Brothers, they had soul, rock n roll, rhythm in their music. I'm Black and they moved me, their sound was different, it was a sound that any race could like but you can tell they were influenced by Black music especially Michael MacDonald.

But I can see what your saying, most Blacks in the late 1970's was fans of The Ohio Players, Funkadelic, Kool and The Gang, Earth, Wind and Fire, Rick James, but maybe the show couldn't afford them maybe The Doobie Brothers were more attainable since I think they were just starting to become popular and the show made them more popular. But you had to admit The Doobie Brothers had a great sound. The blacks and whites in the audiences was sure enjoying the music and I don't think they were made to either.
msladysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
Rich3
Forum Regular

You'd be surprised what kinds of music people listen to in reality. I know black people who were into country during it's early 90's heyday. My old coworker used to listen to a lot of 70's classic rock because that's what his friends in college were into back in the 70's.

Michael McDonald brought more soul influence to the Doobies when he joined them. It doesn't surprise me they would have gotten a broader fan base after that.

I consider all these things positive.
Rich3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
nerrad

I liked their music too, much like AWB and Rare Earth. I have their "best of" CD. It was seemed odd that the guys were into them heavily. And by it being their favorite group was pushing it a little.
nerrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
Rich3
Forum Regular

I haven't seen it in a long time but I imagine the plot/story would be really lame, but I don't think anyone would care. It was all centered around having the band appear on the show, so what kind of plot could there have been? There must have been like 5 minutes of setup and the rest with the band.
Rich3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich3
I haven't seen it in a long time but I imagine the plot/story would be really lame, but I don't think anyone would care. It was all centered around having the band appear on the show, so what kind of plot could there have been? There must have been like 5 minutes of setup and the rest with the band.
it was a two-part episode. it was abt Rerun and bootlegging.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
MIKEPR
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerrad View Post
Think you have too much time on your hands.

Maybe they were just a bunch who enjoy rock as well as soul.

Maybe they were fans of Zeppelin or Boston as well.
MIKEPR is offline   Reply With Quote