Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #46
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

I just rewatched the segment and noticed the bruising on the boy's neck.

I think it would be freaky if it turned out to be Borer, seeing as he was profiled on UM.

Another reason why I think it's more likely Borer is that he had a history of hitchhiking, making him more likely a victim of kidnapping, whereas Antreas Cantrell likely drowned and Henley likely died of exposure.

Police believe the photo was taken inside of white van. I don't know how they came to that conclusion, but they know more than I do about this. I really don't think this is a hoax. I wish it was.

I know we've probably talked about this before, but while Tara and the girl look in the photo look similar, the one difference I noticed was the eyebrows. Tara's are curved, whereas the girl's are straight. Granted, they could have been trimmed differently or what not, but I don't know how likely that is.
__________________
"Dottie had said, in the event I got transferred that she was not interested in going with me. I wasn't expecting her to go with me. And wouldn't have even wanted her to I guess."
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #47
MegtheEgg86
Member
Senior Member
 
MegtheEgg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 4,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Police believe the photo was taken inside of white van. I don't know how they came to that conclusion, but they know more than I do about this. I really don't think this is a hoax. I wish it was.
Same here. I don't think what's going on in the photo is a fabrication at all.
__________________
"Why is she lying?, it makes me wonder. What is she hiding?, it makes me wonder."

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #48
WishfulDreamer
Member
Senior Member
 
WishfulDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 3,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Same here. I don't think what's going on in the photo is a fabrication at all.
I really wish it was a hoax, but I agree. Just the expressions on their faces really stand out to me, particularly the boy looking so terrified. Just a hunch, but the girl looks like to me like she's trying not to show fear, which is probably what a sick abductor would want. It just doesn't seem like a joke/hoax.

You would think, however, that other people would come forward to identify the boy and girl. Sometimes I surf the Charley Project trying to see if any ages/appearances match up around that time frame but so far no luck. Of course, there's always the possibility that they're no longer missing and were found deceased. But in any case, wouldn't people come forward saying, ''Hey, that looks like [someone familiar]!'' After all, this segment was aired repeatedly on UM and I've seen the photo widely circulated on the internet when talking about disturbing photos and mysteries.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #49
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,706
Default

Guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I think the girl in the photo looks pretty bored, or not amused.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #50
justins5256
Member
Senior Member
 
justins5256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2002
Posts: 3,841
Default

One question I have for those who think the photo is real. Why is there so much emphasis on these being abducted and/or missing children? Some people have mentioned looking on CharleyProject and various other sites for matches. While that is certainly noble, I just don't think we know enough to say that these are abducted or missing children. Even if we assume that the photo is "real" (i.e., these weren't some kids playing a "tie up" game) the photo could still be something a parent or guardian took of their own kids as part of some kind of abuse or pornography type scenario.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #51
MegtheEgg86
Member
Senior Member
 
MegtheEgg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 4,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
One question I have for those who think the photo is real. Why is there so much emphasis on these being abducted and/or missing children? Some people have mentioned looking on CharleyProject and various other sites for matches. While that is certainly noble, I just don't think we know enough to say that these are abducted or missing children. Even if we assume that the photo is "real" (i.e., these weren't some kids playing a "tie up" game) the photo could still be something a parent or guardian took of their own kids as part of some kind of abuse or pornography type scenario.
No idea--but I'd wager it's primarily because of the very public association with Calico, and Henley to a lesser degree. I wouldn't rule out an abuse or pornography scenario at all.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #52
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
One question I have for those who think the photo is real. Why is there so much emphasis on these being abducted and/or missing children? Some people have mentioned looking on CharleyProject and various other sites for matches. While that is certainly noble, I just don't think we know enough to say that these are abducted or missing children. Even if we assume that the photo is "real" (i.e., these weren't some kids playing a "tie up" game) the photo could still be something a parent or guardian took of their own kids as part of some kind of abuse or pornography type scenario.
If these kids were U.S. residents and not abduction victims, it seems like they would have been positively ID'd by now, 25 years later. Somebody at their schools would have noticed, I would imagine. The only other options were that they were born outside the U.S. (as I speculated earlier), or they had been abducted quite some time previous and nobody recognized them. (that's an unsettling thought).
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #53
justins5256
Member
Senior Member
 
justins5256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2002
Posts: 3,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
If these kids were U.S. residents and not abduction victims, it seems like they would have been positively ID'd by now, 25 years later. Somebody at their schools would have noticed, I would imagine. The only other options were that they were born outside the U.S. (as I speculated earlier), or they had been abducted quite some time previous and nobody recognized them. (that's an unsettling thought).
I'm going to have to disagree. To me, the fact that these kids have not been identified is a non-issue either way. The quality of the photo isn't the greatest, and with their mouths being covered by the tape, it is really hard to make out details that might otherwise help ID them. Also, as I've stated before, we have no idea where the photo was taken originally. The fact that it was recovered in Port St. Joe, frankly, means squat to me. There is nothing in the photo that would indicate precisely where it was taken. It could have been taken anywhere in the US or abroad. And that's the thing...if you open your mind to that possibility, the kids could be anyone, anywhere, and that could explain why they haven't been identified, even if the photo was a hoax by a group of kids.

I also tend to think that the early coverage on the story may have muddied the waters. When news of the photo went public, the two names associated with it were Tara Calico and Michael Henley. It's always been that way, even though we know it's virtually impossible the photo depicted Henley. It's also pretty darn unlikely that the photo depicts Calico, but, for better or for worse, their names are still synonymous with the photo all these years later. It's what people tend to believe, especially in regard to Calico.

Moreover, I think when people learn of the story, it's presented within the context of the photo possibly being of Calico. That's got to affect a person's perception because they think the photo is either Calico, or an abducted child. The possibility of it depicting the girl next door never occurs to anyone.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #54
cordwainer1453
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 05, 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 171
Default

Even if someone did come forward and admit it was them self in the picture playing a tie up game or whatever, do you think we'd even hear about it? This case is pretty old (25 years?) and even though we like to rehash these cases, they are not in the general public consciousness. Also, the sensationalist aspect of these things gets more attention. Kids kidnapped and tied up and taken pictures by some pervert gets attention. Kids playing around doesn't. Sort of like when John DeLorean was arrested for "selling" cocaine. It was barely reported that he was acquitted because of entrapment, and the authorities even admitted that they had entrapped him. It was all over the news when he was arrested, though.
cordwainer1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #55
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453
Even if someone did come forward and admit it was them self in the picture playing a tie up game or whatever, do you think we'd even hear about it? This case is pretty old (25 years?) and even though we like to rehash these cases, they are not in the general public consciousness. Also, the sensationalist aspect of these things gets more attention. Kids kidnapped and tied up and taken pictures by some pervert gets attention. Kids playing around doesn't. Sort of like when John DeLorean was arrested for "selling" cocaine. It was barely reported that he was acquitted because of entrapment, and the authorities even admitted that they had entrapped him. It was all over the news when he was arrested, though.
I disagree. UM and this forum have been exceptional at providing updates in every instance they occur. I think if this were a known hoax, we would have heard about it. UM wasn't afraid to update a case that turned out to be a hoax (KROQ DJ's for example). Also, the media does report hoaxes when the occur.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #56
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,706
Default

The image is forever associated with Tara Calico, so naturally people are going to assume that if it isn't Tara, it's got to be another girl that was abducted. I still think the location it was found (a vacation spot in Florida), the time of year it was found (summer), would seem to indicate that this was a vacationing family. Whether or not the parents took the picture is up for debate, but I do not think that the children in the photo were abduction victims.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #57
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

I know there's been a lot of speculation that the children may have been acting. The thing is, children are not, by nature, good actors. I can't tell you how many untalented child actors I've seen on t.v. shows, and these are supposed to be professionals.

Take for example the Greenbush twins (Carrie) on Little House on the Prairie. Couldn't act to save their lives. They usually had one sentence between them per episode or flat out didn't appear in others. It got to the point were they had the Ingalls adopt children so that they wouldn't have to rely on them. (Jason Bateman for example). There was one Carrie-tastic episode during the 9 year run and it was probably the worst episode of any show ever (I used to do hilarious episode reviews on another forum. I still have them all saved.) And it is because kids can't act that they usually make bad and unconvincing liars.

Anyways, my point is I don't think most children would be capable of faking or acting the fear that is in the boy's eyes, for example. As we've said, if this was a hoax, I doubt the kids would have realized that they would need to act afraid in order to pull of this prank. And in regards to the girl, I think she looks more tired than anything.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #58
elg0rd0
Just wanna play video games.
Frequent Poster
 
elg0rd0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 13, 2011
Location: A house of cards
Posts: 179
Default

I think for me the biggest thing is that it can't be proven that it is in fact Tara in the photo, which makes me speculate if it is even her. I have in fact heard of the V.C. Andrews theory, that the author was her one of her favorites. That fact alone makes me even more skeptical it is Tara. Kidnapping is about power and the photo gives me no indication the kidnapper gives a damn about the alleged victims in the photo. For me the odds are 50/50 that it's real. My opinion, I think people initially wanted it to be Tara because of some of the similarities in facial features that they just came to that conclusion.
__________________
Not willing to poke the hornets nest anymore.
elg0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #59
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

This hasn't been talked about before, but it's important to note that this is a POLAROID, which I believe were relatively new to the market at the time. The big thing about Polaroids were that they dispensed the picture within a matter of seconds. Whereas with all the other cameras available at the time, you had to take them somewhere to get them developed. An abductor would want to use a Polaroid and not another camera because he obviously wouldn't want whoever developed it to see the picture.

And you couple that with the van, the bruising, the fear. Not a hoax, IMO.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #60
elg0rd0
Just wanna play video games.
Frequent Poster
 
elg0rd0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 13, 2011
Location: A house of cards
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
This hasn't been talked about before, but it's important to note that this is a POLAROID, which I believe were relatively new to the market at the time. The big thing about Polaroids were that they dispensed the picture within a matter of seconds. Whereas with all the other cameras available at the time, you had to take them somewhere to get them developed. An abductor would want to use a Polaroid and not another camera because he obviously wouldn't want whoever developed it to see the picture.

And you couple that with the van, the bruising, the fear. Not a hoax, IMO.
Polaroid cameras had been around long before this picture was taken. I believe the film was knew to the market at the time. There is no proof this picture came from the van parked outside of the market and there is 100% no proof this is Tara. If in fact this is real, this would open another whole new case.
elg0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.