Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics / Random Posts

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Music artists that 'Jumped the Shark'

Quote:
This could be an interesting thread. By jumping the shark in this thread, of course I'm talking about when we look back on an artist's glory days. It's all subjective, but for argument's sake, I'd say someone like John Mellencamp, career wise and popularity wise jumped the shark in the early '90s. Maybe Wild Night in 1994 was his last relevant song (and a cover song at that). If MTV was around today they wouldn't play him, and I'm sure he's happy and doesn't care because he's doing his music, but let's face it, who wouldn't like a hit song and to be as popular as they were at their peak?

Maybe they don't want to be chased around like they were then and have their privacy, but it seems after a point, the times have passed them by, or they ran of of ideas.

I'm not talking about artists that get critical acclaim now,that doesn't mean anything in this case. I'm speaking of artists that could once fill arenas and now barely fill a club. That's jumping the shark in this case. They aren't the same anymore.

Often times it's when they go through a change in life. Starting a family, getting married, losing someone. Taking a long break.

Last edited by Zoneboy; 07-11-2015 at 09:35 PM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.

Metallica jumped the shark in the mid-90's. Many fans thought they sold out with the so-called
'Black Album', by being less thrashy and more commercial (with a ballad, even), but they even got less heavy on 'Load' from 1996--when they cut their hair and got piercings. That was a definite sellout era.

'Re-Load' from 1998 was even worse.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Christina Aguleira---she went from a generic pop singer with more vocal talent on her first album, then got more raunchy and personal with Stripped, then went retro with the next album. Her "comeback" album, Bionic, bombed and she got accused of being a Lady Gaga wannabe. But to her defense, she took time off to get married and have a baby and pop music changed during that time, so I can't blame her for trying to be relevant when she made her new album. But she used Autotune on some of the songs, and she's one that doesn't need it.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Vahan

The Beatles--When Yoko Ono began interfering with the band, that was the final nail in the coffin.
Vahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

David Bowie, when he let us down by releasing the ironically titled Never Let Me Down album.
Steve M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
I'm not talking about artists that get critical acclaim now,that doesn't mean anything in this case. I'm speaking of artists that could once fill arenas and now barely fill a club. That's jumping the shark in this case. They aren't the same anymore.
That's not fair. Artists who used to fill arenas and now play clubs could be putting out their best work ever today, but the problem would be that but nobody cares owing to changing tastes and changing demographics. How can aging guitar rockers compete with hip-hoppers? They can't. They don't.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M.
That's not fair. Artists who used to fill arenas and now play clubs could be putting out their best work ever today, but the problem would be that but nobody cares owing to changing tastes and changing demographics. How can aging guitar rockers compete with hip-hoppers? They can't. They don't.
Great point. I don't think Mellencamp ever "jumped the shark", he's put out some of his best music in this decade, IMO.

The most obvious one to me would be Billy Squier when he made that weird "Rock Me Tonite" video (parading around in a pink shirt) his career was pretty much over at that point.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The most obvious one to me would be Billy Squier when he made that weird "Rock Me Tonite" video (parading around in a pink shirt) his career was pretty much over at that point.
I heard that this is the worst promotional video for a single ever. As I recall, in 1984 Bon Jovi was opening for Billy Squirer, and in 1987 Bily Squier was opening for Bon Jovi!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M.
I heard that this is the worst promotional video for a single ever.
Don't know if it's the worst ever but it would easily make my top 10. The song is fine and it was his biggest hit but that video didn't help matters any.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Brad
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlairican Pie
Metallica jumped the shark in the mid-90's. Many fans thought they sold out with the so-called
'Black Album', by being less thrashy and more commercial (with a ballad, even), but they even got less heavy on 'Load' from 1996--when they cut their hair and got piercings. That was a definite sellout era.

'Re-Load' from 1998 was even worse.
Load and ReLoad are my favorite Metallica albums. They're what got me into the band in the first place. For my tastes, Metallica doesn't get any better than the period from ...And Justice for All through the "I Disappear" single (coincidentally, the Jason Newsted era).
Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
phoebe7165
Pop Culture Goddess
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Load and ReLoad are my favorite Metallica albums. They're what got me into the band in the first place. For my tastes, Metallica doesn't get any better than the period from ...And Justice for All through the "I Disappear" single (coincidentally, the Jason Newsted era).
Brad, you obviously haven't listened to Master of Puppets!!

Rescued animals make the best pets. Opt to Adopt!!
phoebe7165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Living in the depths of mourning over the loss of Grumpy Cat, though rejoicing our idol is now in a place of happiness.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebe7165
Exactly, and also Ride The Lightning was classic!!! Those two albums were the greatest. Master has so much hellacious attitude!!! I get wound up just thinking about Master Of Puppets!!!
ABlairican Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I have to side with the others here about Metallica. Their 90's stuff just didnt do it for me. I did like their last one. Sounds like they were trying to get back on track.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Brad
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebe7165
I've heard all of their albums, with the exception of the two most recent ones. I'm just not a big metalhead.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
Steve M.
Holding the compass
Forum Celebrity

Adele may have jumped the shark by promising a third album by the end of 2014 and repeatedly postponing it! Now she's saying maybe (Maybe?) early 2016.