Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #181
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic
Senior Member
 
1990 UM fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,089
Default

Not sure if I posted this, but someone sent me Philip's death certificate many months back and Philip died from multiple gunshot wounds (three I think, but it didn't say where on the body). Due to the condition his body was in (a month and a half had passed since Philip was killed when his body was found), he was cremated and the ashes scattered over Otter Lake in Anchorage, Alaska. Philip's father Robert died in 2014 of complications from diabetes, but his mother Shirley is still alive and still a neurologist in Anchorage.
__________________
Join my Unsolved Mysteries page (Facebook): http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unsolv...899616?sk=wall
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #182
SertumAEnigmA
Member
Frequent Poster
 
SertumAEnigmA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2017
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
Not sure if I posted this, but someone sent me Philip's death certificate many months back and Philip died from multiple gunshot wounds (three I think, but it didn't say where on the body). Due to the condition his body was in (a month and a half had passed since Philip was killed when his body was found), he was cremated and the ashes scattered over Otter Lake in Anchorage, Alaska. Philip's father Robert died in 2014 of complications from diabetes, but his mother Shirley is still alive and still a neurologist in Anchorage.
Someone mentioned previously that he had a brother or two and one was a doctor as well? Could be thinking of someone else.
SertumAEnigmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:39 AM   #183
ruhroh
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 10, 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
A lot of good points have been made as to the motive for Philip's murder. What I want to know is if this hitchhiker is a serial killer. Another thing that comes to mind, is if this killer had a personality disorder that made him want to take the identity of someone else (in this case, Philip Fraser), due to dissatisfaction with himself. He may have low self-esteem due to being overweight, unattractive and unsuccessful in life, and felt that stealing the identity of Philip, a younger, attractive, successful guy, would make the killer feel better about himself. It's bothersome to think that this guy may have killed before or since Philip's murder. Hopefully the police can improvise on the original sketches so that someone could possibly identify him.
Good points. The Frocklages mentioned that they thought the hitchhiker was mentally ill. Based on pictures, the hitchhiker and phillip couldn't be more different. The hitchhiker was obviously strange/unstable, not well kempt, overweight, and short on cash. Phillip came from a successful family of doctors, was on his way to study pre-med, and had a car and some money. Phillip was nicer looking, if not super handsome. But he radiated wholesomeness whereas the killer did not. Perhaps the killer was jealous of Phillip, because he resented all the things Phillip had and what he represented.

I wondered why he didn't kill the Olsons, but perhaps he didn't feel that same way about the Olsons because they were nice to him, not close to him in age, and he didn't envy them in the same way. If the killer is a volatile person who came to resent Phillip, he may have had the same pattern in the past. Hating men close to his age whom he felt were more successful/on their way to becoming successful. If the killer has killed before, he may have a specific person that triggers him to rage. Someone like Phillip. Perhaps the car started to break down, the killer saw it as an opportunity, or simply got angry because the car was breaking down and blamed their bad luck on Phillip.

just some thoughts. I am new to the board and enjoying your thoughts on UM. So many of those cases I wish could be solved. Hopefully, one day they will be.
ruhroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #184
Hasho
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Hasho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Jock
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wayne_McGray

I have a lot I can share to implicate him, but it doesn't matter much at this point. Michael Wayne McGray will never see the light of day since he is in prison and will never be granted parole and Philip Fraser has no surviving relatives that I can find. "Solving" this case at this point would sadly be nothing more than a formality and unfortunately the RCMP don't seem to care.
This picture of him gives me the heebee jeebees. Looks like the picture from the composite sketch
Hasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #185
freakbook
Member
Senior Member
 
freakbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2017
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhroh
Good points. The Frocklages mentioned that they thought the hitchhiker was mentally ill. Based on pictures, the hitchhiker and phillip couldn't be more different. The hitchhiker was obviously strange/unstable, not well kempt, overweight, and short on cash. Phillip came from a successful family of doctors, was on his way to study pre-med, and had a car and some money. Phillip was nicer looking, if not super handsome. But he radiated wholesomeness whereas the killer did not. Perhaps the killer was jealous of Phillip, because he resented all the things Phillip had and what he represented.

I wondered why he didn't kill the Olsons, but perhaps he didn't feel that same way about the Olsons because they were nice to him, not close to him in age, and he didn't envy them in the same way. If the killer is a volatile person who came to resent Phillip, he may have had the same pattern in the past. Hating men close to his age whom he felt were more successful/on their way to becoming successful. If the killer has killed before, he may have a specific person that triggers him to rage. Someone like Phillip. Perhaps the car started to break down, the killer saw it as an opportunity, or simply got angry because the car was breaking down and blamed their bad luck on Phillip.

just some thoughts. I am new to the board and enjoying your thoughts on UM. So many of those cases I wish could be solved. Hopefully, one day they will be.
The motive was simple. You're thinking way too hard about it. Phillip had what the hitchhiker wanted, the end. Phillip was half of his size/weight, as well as had a money and vehicle. I don't think the hitchhiker was thinking about how much nicer Phillip looked, but that he wanted his vehicle and money.

I don't think a hitchhiker slumming it is really concerned with jealousy. He killed Phillip because he was an easy target. The hitchhiker didn't kill the women in the cafe, or the Olsons, so I don't think he was a serial killer. Just a crime of opportunity.

Given how reluctant Phillip was to give him a ride, a part of me thinks that Phillip probably told him to get out, and the hitchhiker killed him instead.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #186
ruhroh
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 10, 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
The motive was simple. You're thinking way too hard about it. Phillip had what the hitchhiker wanted, the end. Phillip was half of his size/weight, as well as had a money and vehicle. I don't think the hitchhiker was thinking about how much nicer Phillip looked, but that he wanted his vehicle and money.

I don't think a hitchhiker slumming it is really concerned with jealousy. He killed Phillip because he was an easy target. The hitchhiker didn't kill the women in the cafe, or the Olsons, so I don't think he was a serial killer. Just a crime of opportunity.

Given how reluctant Phillip was to give him a ride, a part of me thinks that Phillip probably told him to get out, and the hitchhiker killed him instead.
Perhaps you are right and it was simple opportunity. I am just surprised that he got rid of the car so quickly. He had hidden the body well and could have continued using that car for a while. Was he panicking at that point? Why not get further away before burning it? Did it break down again? And why burn it instead of just driving it into the woods and covering it up? Or drive it to a major city, dump it, and take the bus from there? It's a very remote area. He attracted a lot of attention to himself in doing that. This was before the age of DNA. Phillip's blood might have been in it, but unless this guy's fingerprints were in the system, why would he care? He'd be long gone at that point. Maybe it is that Mcgray guy, or someone who had a previous arrest record, or military record. Someone with fingerprints on file. The pic really does look like the composite sketch.
ruhroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #187
freakbook
Member
Senior Member
 
freakbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2017
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhroh
Perhaps you are right and it was simple opportunity. I am just surprised that he got rid of the car so quickly. He had hidden the body well and could have continued using that car for a while. Was he panicking at that point? Why not get further away before burning it? Did it break down again? And why burn it instead of just driving it into the woods and covering it up? Or drive it to a major city, dump it, and take the bus from there? It's a very remote area. He attracted a lot of attention to himself in doing that. This was before the age of DNA. Phillip's blood might have been in it, but unless this guy's fingerprints were in the system, why would he care? He'd be long gone at that point. Maybe it is that Mcgray guy, or someone who had a previous arrest record, or military record. Someone with fingerprints on file. The pic really does look like the composite sketch.
He probably burned it because of DNA left behind in the car. Blood, hair, etc. Not only that, but the guy who let him sleep in the house had seen the vehicle, and helped him work on it, so blowing it up probably seemed more logical to him so that it would buy him more time to get away (in his mind). But I think destroying evidence was probably his number one priority. If Phillip was killed in the car, then that's DNA city.

You bring up a lot of great points such as why not just dump it in the city and leave, but who knows? I also like your point about him having a record, so maybe that's why he didn't want his fingerprints found. However, it's hard to be in a logical state of mind when you just commited murder and you're fleeing, so who knows what was going through his mind.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD BTW

EDIT: Actually it just hit me. He probably blew up the car because he probably knew that the police were searching for Phillip. If he was seen still driving his car while the police were searching for Phillip then he'd get arrested. I guess blowing it up made more sense after all.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #188
SertumAEnigmA
Member
Frequent Poster
 
SertumAEnigmA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2017
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
The motive was simple. You're thinking way too hard about it. Phillip had what the hitchhiker wanted, the end. Phillip was half of his size/weight, as well as had a money and vehicle. I don't think the hitchhiker was thinking about how much nicer Phillip looked, but that he wanted his vehicle and money.
Agreed. This appeared to be more of a robbery related homicide than an act of a serial killer. If not a robbery, then he might have got angry with Philip at some point, might have been amplified due to mental illness or instability. Perhaps felt Phillip had made a pass at him or was going to ditch him.

The Olsons described him as nervous when they picked him up then he attempted to sell the car to get to Seattle. Soon as he got to Prince George, he burned up the car. This would virtually make the crime untraceable barring a death bed confession or this individual coming forward due to guilt.

Nothing really suggests this was the act of a serial killer. Even if it was, there were so many murders in Canada during this time frame, that it would be impossible to pin it on someone.

I often wondered if the Frocklages exaggerated slightly when describing the encounter. They came forward weeks later, yet seemed to remember this individual so well.
SertumAEnigmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #189
jOHnNyD
Member
Frequent Poster
 
jOHnNyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 11, 2017
Posts: 26
Default

Also the Olsens didn't describe this guy in terms even close to the way the Frocklages did. The Frocklages described him as almost from another dimension.
jOHnNyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #190
SertumAEnigmA
Member
Frequent Poster
 
SertumAEnigmA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2017
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHnNyD
Also the Olsens didn't describe this guy in terms even close to the way the Frocklages did. The Frocklages described him as almost from another dimension.
Exactly. The physical descriptions are pretty on point. But the Frocklages describe him as "mentally off" and threatening. So much so, Tina allegedly said "he'd live to regret" giving the hitchhiker a ride. Yet, the Olsons described him as nervous and later suspicious but were totally comfortable allowing him to stay the night in their home.
SertumAEnigmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #191
jOHnNyD
Member
Frequent Poster
 
jOHnNyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 11, 2017
Posts: 26
Default

The killer knew that he couldn't get out of the area without help and had to pass himself off as a plausible human being. Which would suggest to me he was probably a weirdo, but mentally sound. The irony is what did he really get out of this crime other than a ride? He took Phillip's id, checkbook, etc but it doesn't sound like he ever used them. He probably hitched another ride to get out of the area after he burned the car. Did he kill that person too? Doesn't sounds like it.
jOHnNyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #192
freakbook
Member
Senior Member
 
freakbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2017
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SertumAEnigmA
Exactly. The physical descriptions are pretty on point. But the Frocklages describe him as "mentally off" and threatening. So much so, Tina allegedly said "he'd live to regret" giving the hitchhiker a ride. Yet, the Olsons described him as nervous and later suspicious but were totally comfortable allowing him to stay the night in their home.
I think the Frocklages, and the Olsons descriptions were both correct. A big, dirty, hitchhiking dude wanders into a diner with just two women working there, then I'm sure they were more alert and on guard. Even if he acted normal, his appearance alone would've caused suspicion with the two women just by how he looked. I do think that they embellished, and exaggerated though. The whole "living to regret" line seemed exaggerated

The Olsons account makes sense also. He had just committed murder, and was stranded with a stolen vehicle, I'm sure he was nervous. Which makes me think if he was a serial killer, or a murderer for opportunity. I don't think a complete psychopath would be nervous. They're great at hiding emotions, and "roleplaying" but they said he seemed super nervous, and was acting weird with the wallets. Keep in mind that he didn't kill the other rider who dropped him off at the diner.

I wonder what happened between them two? Did Phillip try to put him out and it turned into a fight? As ruhroh said, did the car breaking out cause them to argue? I'm not quite sure he was a serial killer, but I don't know. He didn't have to kill Phillip, but he did, so I wonder what happened.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #193
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular
 
DazzlerSparkler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 668
Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler
Default

"Tina...Tina uh we've got a winner here, there's something wrong with this guy"

QUOTE=jOHnNyD]Also the Olsens didn't describe this guy in terms even close to the way the Frocklages did. The Frocklages described him as almost from another dimension.[/QUOTE]

Technically you can get disheveled in an hour...

Still you can be a psychopath and act totally normal
__________________
And she was just gripin' and bitchin'. Just gripin' and bitchin.
Offer your shoes and receive free margaritas!
DazzlerSparkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 AM   #194
ruhroh
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 10, 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
He probably burned it because of DNA left behind in the car. Blood, hair, etc. Not only that, but the guy who let him sleep in the house had seen the vehicle, and helped him work on it, so blowing it up probably seemed more logical to him so that it would buy him more time to get away (in his mind). But I think destroying evidence was probably his number one priority. If Phillip was killed in the car, then that's DNA city.

You bring up a lot of great points such as why not just dump it in the city and leave, but who knows? I also like your point about him having a record, so maybe that's why he didn't want his fingerprints found. However, it's hard to be in a logical state of mind when you just commited murder and you're fleeing, so who knows what was going through his mind.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD BTW

EDIT: Actually it just hit me. He probably blew up the car because he probably knew that the police were searching for Phillip. If he was seen still driving his car while the police were searching for Phillip then he'd get arrested. I guess blowing it up made more sense after all.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Hey, thanks. :waves back:
I had forgotten that DNA was already being used back in the late 80s, so that's why I didn't get why the criminal would have been thinking about getting rid of DNA evidence. I think you are right that he wanted to get rid of evidence. Someone else mentioned another possibility-- the killer was from that area and had no desire to run further away because he didn't think he would get caught. Maybe he just caught the nearest bus back to whatever hole he crawled out of. Ha ha. Hard to imagine he felt that confident about it, but since nobody has caught him, I guess he was right to think he'd get away with it.
ruhroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #195
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,707
Default

Early in the segment, Stack says that Philip packed up everything he owned into his car, including 2 guns. When he crossed into Canada, his guns were seized and he continued on his journey. At the end of the segment, Stack says that none of Philip's possessions were ever found or recovered. The police officer interviewed says that the car was completely gutted before the killer torched it. Since the killer did not have a vehicle and was hitchhiking throughout Canada, where exactly did he store Philip's possessions? After reading up on Michael McGray, I don't think he's a viable suspect. He targeted gay men, prostitutes, and homeless people, and almost always used a knife in each homicide. Here's the approximation of where the killer left the Olson's house to where the car was found. I think the killer knew someone, or lived nearby the area where the car was found torched. How else would he have made it out of the area, especially with Philip's possessions? I think he had to have had help in moving and possibly disposing of the evidence in Philip's car.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.