Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #166
chacha6581
Forum Regular

Her sister is running this fb page : https://www.facebook.com/anthonette.cayedito?sk=wall
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #167
TheBumble
Frequent Poster

I have a clear memory of an incident that happened to me when I was 6 years old at seaworld. I was dancing on the edge of a manatee tank, and fell in. I had to be rescued. For 20 plus years I've clearly remembered falling in, seeing the manatees next to me in the tank, and being pulled out. Last Christmas at a family get together, my relatives were talking about old times. I brought up the time I fell in the manatee tank. My mom and aunt said it was really a goldfish pond NOT a manatee tank. Boy was I crushed. And confused. I remembered the incident so clearly, or so I thought. My point is, the sister might really believe the incident of the night anthonette was taken, but that doesn't make it what really happened.
I don't think the diner incident is true. After four or five years in captivity, no way would the girl still be acting like that. She would have gotten used to the situation, maybe even have developed Stockholm syndrome. Plus, I doubt her kidnapper would take her out until he/she was sure she wouldn't jeopardize anything. Think of jaycee dugard. She was locked up for years before she was allowed out into the world. And by the time she was, she had gotten so used to the way things were, she didn't think of sending people signals to help her.
TheBumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #168
jets4life
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezItsJustMe
There is another theory local authorities thought of but could not quite prove as the stories gathered centered around the immediate family. This thread is quite interesting and it has some good points.

I'm not too sure how to say the whole thing but it mainly focuses on the mother as being the one directly involved. The neighborhood in which this family resided is considered very low income, within city limits, and on one of the main roads in the city. Approximately a week after this abduction occured, the mother acquired a brand new vehicle that was well beyond her income capabilities. If my child was abducted, having a new ride would be the last thing on my mind.

Also, the mother's behavior after this abduction wasn't 'normal' for someone who was grieving. I don't remember details but it was along the lines that she had a carefree attitude as if she knew her daughter was ok. A theory that wasn't really emphasized due to the limited resources of people to interview, was that the mother arranged for her daughter to be 'married' off (illegally of course) in exchange for money (and how she got her vehicle).

Taking that into mind, the mother and the other party conspired the kidnapping to make her disappearance more legit. Its a huge possibilty she made sure her daughter was awake enough to hear the knock on the door and knowing she would answer it had she believed it was her uncle. And while this event happened, the mother kept quiet in the room but didnt anticipate that Wendy (the sister) witnessed this situation (if she even did to begin with). I say this only because I knew Wendy as a child and she was no angel, not even close. She was in constant trouble, a well known liar, and a bully. There's a possibility that her behavior was the result of years of instilled fear from her mother in regards to 'witnessing' this kidnapping.

If the mother is involved, that would explain the daughter's reluctance to runaway and seek help, knowing that her mother is the one involved with her departure. The phone call a year later could also be a ploy to keep up with the story of kidnapping and keep the mother clear. If you take Lori Hacking's husband as an example, he was involved with the search for his own wife and in the end, he was the one who killed her. He even went on national television pleading for her return. If this happened recently, what makes you think it didn't go on back then when she was kidnapped?
Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
jets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #169
jets4life
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedberry
The more I read about this case, the more I am convinced the mother may have had some inside knowledge she did not share with the police. I personally find some of the details about the night in question to be a bit strange, to say the least.

According to an article I read from The Gallup Herald, during the night of the kidnapping, Penny returned home around midnight from a bar and relieved the babysitter. Despite this late hour, the girls were still up, and Penny continued to allow them to stay up and play until three o'clock in the morning. After that, the girls went to bed. Anthonette slept in Penny's bed, but Penny never heard any knock at the door. She woke up at 7 AM to get the girls ready, and that is when she noticed Anthonette was missing. For some reason Penny decided that Anthonette was out searching for a neighbour's missing dog, but became panicked when she called for her daughter and the latter did not answer her.

Penny was administered a polygraph test by the FBI and failed. Marty Esquibel, the detective interviewed for UM, was confident that Penny knew who took Anthonette.

The article also mentioned that it was speculated that Penny, and Anthonette's father, Larry Estrada, were involved in drugs. A police report noted that a neighbour stated it was not unusual for people to visit Penny's house at all hours of the night.

Based on this arguably limited information, I think that while Penny did not consent to the kidnapping, she probably knew who took her eldest daughter. If she lied to the police, it was probably because she feared reprisal for some illegal activity on her part.
Interesting....
jets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #170
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedberry
According to the Find a Grave website, Penny died in April of 1999. The FBI tried to contact Penny on her deathbed, but they came too late. Whatever secrets Penny knew, she took with her to the grave. The FBI now considers this case closed, although the Gallup Police still consider the case to be open.
That's interesting to know that the FBI wanted to talk to Penny on her deathbed. That definitely sounds like she knew more than she was letting on. Why else would the FBI want to talk to her?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #171
benoitbabe
My My My
Frequent Poster

Here is my opinion on this case.

1. What kid would answer the door in the middle of the night? I would have been scared blankless to go to the door in the dark.

2. Wouldn't you recognize your uncles voice and know this person wasn't him?

3.There is more here than we are being told.

PS I spoke to the Det. in charge of this case not too long ago and he said the story in the comments on the UM video and the missing video I did for her was not right. Mom never made a deathbed confession of selling her for drugs. In fact she's not a suspect. sh's still on my radar a bit though.

Can I post a link to my video?

Last edited by benoitbabe; 10-25-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added
benoitbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #172
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I believe the investigators know more than what they are letting on, or else they wouldn't publically say they believe she's dead. I just wonder how they've come to that conclusion.

EDIT: Does anyone else think it's weird that Penny says she let her children play at 3 in the morning, but then tried waking them up at 7 a.m. for bible school? 4 hours of sleep for children?!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #173
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBumble
I have a clear memory of an incident that happened to me when I was 6 years old at seaworld. I was dancing on the edge of a manatee tank, and fell in. I had to be rescued. For 20 plus years I've clearly remembered falling in, seeing the manatees next to me in the tank, and being pulled out. Last Christmas at a family get together, my relatives were talking about old times. I brought up the time I fell in the manatee tank. My mom and aunt said it was really a goldfish pond NOT a manatee tank. Boy was I crushed. And confused. I remembered the incident so clearly, or so I thought. My point is, the sister might really believe the incident of the night anthonette was taken, but that doesn't make it what really happened.
Excellent point.

Quote:
I don't think the diner incident is true. After four or five years in captivity, no way would the girl still be acting like that. She would have gotten used to the situation, maybe even have developed Stockholm syndrome. Plus, I doubt her kidnapper would take her out until he/she was sure she wouldn't jeopardize anything. Think of jaycee dugard. She was locked up for years before she was allowed out into the world. And by the time she was, she had gotten so used to the way things were, she didn't think of sending people signals to help her.
I tend to feel the same way. That was either clearly not Anthonette or the waitress completely fabricated the story.

I feel like when an eyewitness describes something that probably--or definitely did not--happen regarding a kidnapping or the like, he or she tends to describe the criminal element as "dirty" or "unkempt". It's like we associate bad morality with literal physical uncleanliness or neatness.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #174
RobinW

While UM has shown us that eyewitness sightings are often unreliable, I know that I am particularly skeptical of witnesses who work in customer service, such as waitresses and convenience store clerks who claim they've seen a missing person frequenting their establishment.

As someone who worked in customer service for many years, I can attest that since you usually interact with dozens of people per day, it's very difficult to accurately remember a face. Even if someone made a memorable impression, it's quite easy to mis-remember them. For instance, I once witnessed my manager chase a customer out of our store because he was shoplifting. Several months later, this thief actually returned to the store and even though I'd seen him before and he had a very distinctive appearance, I didn't actually recognize him until my manager pointed him out.

Maybe it's just me, but if I served a suspicious-looking girl in a restaurant and then saw a similar-looking girl on a missing poster, there's NO WAY my memory of the girl in the restaurant would be vivid enough to put two and two together, which is why I've always been skeptical of this particular sighting. That said, I wonder if the napkin which read "HELP ME - CALL PEOPLE" was acturally turned into LE and possibly compared to Anthonette's handwriting. If this story was legit and the girl was not Anthonette, it's kind of an intriguing "mystery-within-an-unsolved-mystery" about what this girl's real backstory is.
RobinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #175
The-NIXSTER
First Time Poster

Default My thoughts

I have been thinking about this all week, here are my thoughts:

1. Keep in mind even though its New Mexico, the real "MEXICO" is only a 20 hour drive. If she was brought across the border, even if she escaped she would be in a totally different world and living a totally different life.

2. If her parents were involved in drugs, sometimes people who buy / sell drugs use Code Words. The code word could of been uncle joe, and that is why she opened the door.

3. I don't believe the phone company could not of traced the call, I think it was total bs on the part of the phone company. In that era if you called long distance you were charged extra. There had of been a record of the time the call was made, where it orginated from and who the phone line was leased too. There was / is a billing record somewhere!!!

4. I have mixed feelings about Penny showing up with a Brand New Vehincle shortly , after this happened. Though its possible, she sold her child into traffking. It is also possible she felt like she needed a better vehincle to find her child!!!

5. I do believe there is a possibility she is still alive, but the reality is in the rural areas of New Mexico, and Colorado there are so many damn places you can bury a body its not even funny. I know this because I have a friend in Angel Fire New Mexico, and Family in Colorado.

The case just shatters my heart, she had two good chances of escaping and failed. It did not have to be this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgourmet
I grew up watching Unsolved Mysteries and was really pleased to stumble upon this message board. I have ordered a number of dvds from Crystal Dawn and as I continue watching them I hope to discuss some of the more interesting cases. The first case which comes to mind is that of Anthonette Cayedito.

Summary: Anthonette was 9 years old when, in the middle of the night, she disappeared from her home in New Mexico. A little over a year later, 911 received a call from her saying her name and stating that she was in Alberquerque but the call was cut short by a man screaming, “Who told you you could use the phone?. The call was untraceable but at least we know that Anthonette was alive at that time and not murdered immediately.

Another unsubstantiated (yet likely) sighting was a few years later when a girl, 14-15 years old at the time, was spotted in a diner with an unkempt couple. The little girl kept dropping her silverware on the floor and when the waitress leaned down to pick it up, the girl would squeeze her arm. After this couple left, the waitress found a note hidden under the girl’s plate saying, “Help me! Call police!”

Also, late in the episode Anthonette’s mother is seen consulting with a Native American psychic who tells her that Anthonette is still alive, being held against her will by threats of violence and has a child. She is somewhere in the Southwest far from any town or city. The police were astonished to hear this as it matches their theories about what has happened to her.

My thoughts:

1. This was an inside job by an acquaintance of the family, not somebody they knew well but somebody whom they had perhaps met once or who had seen them. An acquaintance of a member of their extended family or of a neighbor. Also, I think they did not specifically target Anthonette but were going to grab whichever little girl opened the door, had one of her sisters opened it, they would have grabbed her. I would be curious to hear what the police think about this idea, if they feel she was specifically targeted or... for example, I don’t know what would have happened had her mother answered the door. Her family is adamant that Anthonette would not have opened the door had the kidnappers not said, “It’s your Uncle Joe”. Thus, her family was targeted by somebody who had direct knowledge of, at least, their extended family.

2. I was surprised by the fact that it said it was two men who kidnapped her and not one. As there were at least two people involved in the kidnapping, this doubles the chance that one of them would brag or boast of his deed yet this has not happened in this case. After her kidnapping, nothing- no leads, no tips, nada- for close to a year before her 911 call.

Also, on another website where Anthonette is profiled, they claim that one of the men is black and another Hispanic. I wonder how they knew this or if this is accurate information as it is not mentioned on the show and on the show her sister clearly says that she did not get a look at the men who grabbed her.

3. Even if the Nevada diner sighting was not, in fact, Anthonette, we know that she was alive for at least one year after she was kidnapped. My heart goes out to that poor, poor girl and her family. Why keep a 10 year old alive and captive for at least a year? And under what circumstances was she being kept if she could at least grab a phone somehow and make a call?

4. Other websites claim that police now believe she is dead as it is 20 years since her disappearance and there have been no sightings or even recent tips. I wonder what happened to this poor little girl and why the police now have changed their opinion- as of her UM profiling, police believed she was still alive and being held against her will.

5. It is my personal feeling that the police believe she is being held as a slave or house-girl for somebody- while it was not spelled out per se, the police on the show said that they were surprised when the psychics vision (still alive, with child) was in-line with their suspicions. I think that this is at what they were hinting.

I have found myself thinking more and more about this case since I first viewed it on the UM Favorites Vol. 2 as Anthonette and I are almost exactly the same age. I think of all the experiences I have had since I was 9 when Anthonette disappeared. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and I pray that she is either at peace or can soon escape from her captors. However, the sheer amount of time which has passed with no news from her as well as the fact that she would now be almost 30 years old does not make me optimistic as to her wellbeing.

Any thoughts, ideas, impressions?
The-NIXSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #176
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-NIXSTER
3. I don't believe the phone company could not of traced the call, I think it was total bs on the part of the phone company. In that era if you called long distance you were charged extra. There had of been a record of the time the call was made, where it orginated from and who the phone line was leased too. There was / is a billing record somewhere!!!
I think technology in the 80's to instantly trace phone calls was epically bad. When I read the book about the Cindy James case, I was very surprised to learn that even tapping a phone, a call could only be fully traced if the caller stayed on the line for about a minute to a minute and a half. That seems ludicrous by today's standards but this is what police had to deal with in the 80's. It was just a different time. Shorter calls could be traced to a particular district but no exact location.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #177
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I think technology in the 80's to instantly trace phone calls was epically bad. When I read the book about the Cindy James case, I was very surprised to learn that even tapping a phone, a call could only be fully traced if the caller stayed on the line for about a minute to a minute and a half. That seems ludicrous by today's standards but this is what police had to deal with in the 80's. It was just a different time. Shorter calls could be traced to a particular district but no exact location.
Even older technology required 15 minutes. Someone would have to be having a major phone soliloquy before it could be traced, it seems.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #178
lilmissd
Frequent Poster

I don't believe for one minute that the mother didn't hear a knock on the door in the middle of the night! If she wasn't involved in the abduction why would she have let the kids answer the door and not her? There's no way in hell my mom would have let me answer the door when I was that age much less at 3 o'clock in the morning, something is definitely not right here. I think Penny sold her daughter to a human trafficking ring, and they hung onto her until she was old enough to benefit them!
lilmissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #179
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissd
I don't believe for one minute that the mother didn't hear a knock on the door in the middle of the night! If she wasn't involved in the abduction why would she have let the kids answer the door and not her? There's no way in hell my mom would have let me answer the door when I was that age much less at 3 o'clock in the morning, something is definitely not right here. I think Penny sold her daughter to a human trafficking ring, and they hung onto her until she was old enough to benefit them!
I believe the authorities held the same suspicions, because they wanted to talk to Penny on her deathbed. Something has always bothered me about the mother in this case...
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #180
rzombie1988
Frequent Poster

This was the first time I saw this case.

The whole case is really suspicious and leaves more questions than answers. Something was really fishy here.

I know the mom was in on this one way or another. She failed a lie detector test and she did so many dumb things here that it is impossible to believe she wasn't involved. Her parenting was absolutely awful. She allowed her kids to stay up until 3 a.m. which no caring parent would come close to doing, she or her husband were involved with drugs and having people come into the house around the clock. She didn't question her daughter going to look for dogs before 7 a.m. even though it would have been dark out. She also was at the bar from what I can tell.

Anytime I try to run the scenario through my head, the #1 problem is: How did the kidnappers know that the kids would answer the door? The odds on it were not very good no matter what. You would somehow have to know that the kids would answer the door because common sense says they wouldn't.

The sister is also highly questionable in this case. This whole thing happened way before the mother woke up since they all woke up together and couldn't find Anthonette. What did the sister do between the kidnapping and when mom woke up? Any child would immediately run to their parents if someone was kidnapped. Where was the sister and what was she doing? Why was the mother not woken up? The sister would have at the minimum cried and screamed and from what we know, it seems she just went back to bed like nothing happened...

Presumably, the sister then lied to police and her family for years about what happened. How is that possible? I can't believe it. No kid could do that.

This is going to sound crazy but it feels like the mother and the sister were in on it. I cannot run this scenario through my head in any way and believe it. No one did any of the obvious things or even reacted naturally. From all of this, the mother slept through knocking, screaming and crying, then the little sister witnessed all of this and just decided to go back to bed. Then she lied about it for years after. I don't think this is even the real story.

I really don't even think the actual kidnapping happened. There's just no way. I think the mother did something and coached the little sister on it. I don't know what but I wouldn't be surprised if it involved them selling drugs.

The Phone Call
I'm not questioning that it wasn't her but perhaps if another person could confirm it was indeed her, it would be better.

I don't buy that the phone call couldn't be traced. It's the police! There must have been something more they could have done. They knew where she was and with wanted posters and stuff, someone must have seen something if she was in Albuquerque. Especially with her having a mole. This would have been really big news and there surely would have been some serious searching for her, but there wasn't. The police didn't do all they could have here.

The Las Vegas Diner Sighting

I'd like to know more details on the Las Vegas diner sighting. We don't know if it was her and we'd have no way of knowing. No one had seen her for years and it could have been someone completely different, especially since this was in a different state. The whole thing could have even been a joke or some misunderstanding. If she was the girl at the diner, I can't see how she couldn't escape. She could write, she could talk and she was 13 to 14 at that time. All she had to do was mouth the words "help" or write down a name, initials or anything and she would have had a better chance of escaping. There's a million ways she could have escaped in the diner and any way you think of it, it would have worked. I cannot buy that a 14 year old girl was that stupid.

I don't buy any of this story and the FBI didn't seem to either. There is no way this all could have happened. There are logic holes everywhere and it is too bad that the FBI came to the mom's deathbed too late.

Last edited by rzombie1988; 04-28-2013 at 09:37 PM.
rzombie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote