Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer
Dove Channel Brings Out Holiday Classics; CW Gets DC Universe Series with Sitcom Star

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #31
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

A few nights ago, there was a case on ID. It's an older one that I have seen presented on another true crime show- maybe The Investigators or something similar. Took place in 1980 in CO. I don't remember the names. Husband worked the night shift. He and wife were thinking of divorcing. He had been known to abuse her. He came home from work and found her murdered. Never enough evidence to bring a case against him. All these years her family believed he did it because of the history of abuse. DNA technology comes along and it was one of his co-workers who had already been cleared as a supspect. So all those years he had lived under a cloud of suspicion because he had a history of abuse. Could be the same thing in Amy's case. Husband is a red herring while the real killer goes free.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Necco

Other than the writings and the one bruise, is there other "evidence" that Steve hurt Amy? I don't find either of those things to be remotely conclusive. I don't think he did it. I didn't even find him self-centered or arrogant. I found him to have the same self-assured attitude a lot of pro athletes have. It's part of the personality that drives them to excel.

I honestly think if the portrayal of the bruise incident is as it happened, the bruise was not a result of abuse. All she had to do was wear a 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve shirt, that bruise is VERY easy to hide. I think her brother and sister-in-law looked back in hindsight looking for anything that could convince them that the police were right and that Steve did it. If they honestly thought at the time he had abused her, why didn't they ask follow up questions? Especially when she opened the door with her comment about Steve getting rough.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Disappeared is going to highlight Amy Bechtel's case.
Zlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #34
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatko
Disappeared is going to highlight Amy Bechtel's case.
When and what time?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
When and what time?
It's supposed to be shown on January 7th and at 6:00PM, according to Zap2it.

Hopefully Disappeared's showing can generate some leads for Amy's case.
Zlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #36
Steve_uk
Suspended
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necco
Other than the writings and the one bruise, is there other "evidence" that Steve hurt Amy? I don't find either of those things to be remotely conclusive. I don't think he did it. I didn't even find him self-centered or arrogant. I found him to have the same self-assured attitude a lot of pro athletes have. It's part of the personality that drives them to excel.

I honestly think if the portrayal of the bruise incident is as it happened, the bruise was not a result of abuse. All she had to do was wear a 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve shirt, that bruise is VERY easy to hide. I think her brother and sister-in-law looked back in hindsight looking for anything that could convince them that the police were right and that Steve did it. If they honestly thought at the time he had abused her, why didn't they ask follow up questions? Especially when she opened the door with her comment about Steve getting rough.
I'd like to know exactly what the content of the writings was. In the UM segment we get from Sheriff David King that they concerned "power,death and killing people". Well this is serious and to my mind makes Steve a suspect in the case. Of course the Defence might argue why would Steve leave these journals lying around if he were planning on murdering his wife?

There are other factors which can be read both ways. I wouldn't discount the sighting of the 4x4 vehicle by the campers which places Steve at the scene of the crime,yet if Amy is in the vehicle with him how did her car come to be up the mountain? Again if it's a 45 minute ride each way this doesn't give Steve much time to dispose of the body in a way which would have prevented discovery by a team of 500 scouring a 20 mile radius over 8 days. However the bruise noticed by the deceased's brother looks to me as if it had been caused by her being tied up with rope and restrained in some way,and in the early stages of married life it seems to me that Amy was eager to please,and Steve the one in control of their relationship.

I'd be interested to know the couple's finances,whether the timing of them moving house had any implications money-wise and whether Steve moving suddenly to Utah and then back into the Lander area had any significance. The fact that the man has remarried and set up his own business in the fitness industry suggests to me that he cares little for public opinion,his matter of fact tones in the initial call to Police also are redolent of a man who again wasn't really troubled by the loss of his wife.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #37
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatko
It's supposed to be shown on January 7th and at 6:00PM, according to Zap2it.

Hopefully Disappeared's showing can generate some leads for Amy's case.
Thank you
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #38
1990 UM fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
I'd like to know exactly what the content of the writings was. In the UM segment we get from Sheriff David King that they concerned "power,death and killing people". Well this is serious and to my mind makes Steve a suspect in the case. Of course the Defence might argue why would Steve leave these journals lying around if he were planning on murdering his wife?

There are other factors which can be read both ways. I wouldn't discount the sighting of the 4x4 vehicle by the campers which places Steve at the scene of the crime,yet if Amy is in the vehicle with him how did her car come to be up the mountain? Again if it's a 45 minute ride each way this doesn't give Steve much time to dispose of the body in a way which would have prevented discovery by a team of 500 scouring a 20 mile radius over 8 days. However the bruise noticed by the deceased's brother looks to me as if it had been caused by her being tied up with rope and restrained in some way,and in the early stages of married life it seems to me that Amy was eager to please,and Steve the one in control of their relationship.

I'd be interested to know the couple's finances,whether the timing of them moving house had any implications money-wise and whether Steve moving suddenly to Utah and then back into the Lander area had any significance. The fact that the man has remarried and set up his own business in the fitness industry suggests to me that he cares little for public opinion,his matter of fact tones in the initial call to Police also are redolent of a man who again wasn't really troubled by the loss of his wife.
Who is deceased? Another thing, could it be possible that if Amy was abducted, that her abductor could've driven a vehicle similar to Steve's, as to why the lady at the campground said she saw a blonde woman in a truck that looked like Steve's around the time she disappeared?
1990 UM fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #39
Steve_uk
Suspended
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
Who is deceased? Another thing, could it be possible that if Amy was abducted, that her abductor could've driven a vehicle similar to Steve's, as to why the lady at the campground said she saw a blonde woman in a truck that looked like Steve's around the time she disappeared?
I think it's possible that Amy was abducted,though I doubt it was in the way you describe. It's just too coincidental to have two blue vehicles spotted at that time driven by a male with a blonde in the passenger seat. There is a possibility as discussed in some of the earlier threads that she had been abducted by Dale Eaton,and this would explain why no body was found in the near vicinity,as well as some might say conveniently averting suspicion from the husband. However after reading what was available through internet sources I still believe Steve to be a strong suspect. It appears he cannot account for all his time spent that day,he is an expert in rocks and may have been able to hide the body in some crevice,and appeared nonchalant about the death. I call it a death because to pretend otherwise after all this time I think is just plain naive.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #40
RobinW

One interesting thing I noticed about this segment is how Steve Bechtel refers to Sheriff David King as "Dave" during his interviews. Unlike many other UM cases, the suspect and the lead investigator probably knew each other personally before the disappearance took place, which would make sense, given that Lander, Wyoming is a fairly small town.

While I don't think Steve had anything to do with it, I wonder if he and the Sheriff might have a personal history together which could skew the Sheriff's opinion about him.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #41
Steve_uk
Suspended
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
One interesting thing I noticed about this segment is how Steve Bechtel refers to Sheriff David King as "Dave" during his interviews. Unlike many other UM cases, the suspect and the lead investigator probably knew each other personally before the disappearance took place, which would make sense, given that Lander, Wyoming is a fairly small town.

While I don't think Steve had anything to do with it, I wonder if he and the Sheriff might have a personal history together which could skew the Sheriff's opinion about him.
I'm afraid in my opinion that's just one more device in Steve's armoury of disarming people and making out that he's a nice guy. Of course I have to say allegedly here,but Steve has all the paraphernalia in his vehicle to kill his wife,caves,mines and culverts are features of the landscape where a body could be hidden,it's convenient for him that no body is found as the exact cause of death cannot be established,he has no alibi as far as I can ascertain for the time in question and was seen with his wife in the blue 4x4 vehicle by some campers around 4:30pm which puts him at the scene of the crime.

As for Sheriff Dave King,he was convicted of stealing cocaine and resigned from his post in 1998.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #42
Necco

Quote:
I think it's possible that Amy was abducted,though I doubt it was in the way you describe. It's just too coincidental to have two blue vehicles spotted at that time driven by a male with a blonde in the passenger seat. There is a possibility as discussed in some of the earlier threads that she had been abducted by Dale Eaton,and this would explain why no body was found in the near vicinity,as well as some might say conveniently averting suspicion from the husband. However after reading what was available through internet sources I still believe Steve to be a strong suspect. It appears he cannot account for all his time spent that day,he is an expert in rocks and may have been able to hide the body in some crevice,and appeared nonchalant about the death. I call it a death because to pretend otherwise after all this time I think is just plain naive.

It's Wyoming, pardon my language, but you can't throw a turd in Wyoming without hitting a 4x4.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #43
Steve_uk
Suspended
Suspended

Quote:
It's Wyoming, pardon my language, but you can't throw a turd in Wyoming without hitting a 4x4.
But there's no reason for the camper to lie in what she saw that afternoon. Amy was last seen at 2:30pm in Lander coming out of a camera shop. As far as I know there's no independent corroboration of what happened then,nor of Steve ever being in Dubois 74 miles away. For all we know he could have arranged to meet her at the mountain at 4:30pm to check the route for her forthcoming run and taken her to some isolated spot,killed her and pushed the body down some mineshaft or crevice,then concealed the entrance with rocks. Steve's movements again are unaccounted for until 8:30pm when he alerts neighbours,and the call to Police is expressed in matter-of-fact tones,with no real concern for what might have befallen his wife at any stage.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #44
Necco

Quote:
But there's no reason for the camper to lie in what she saw that afternoon. Amy was last seen at 2:30pm in Lander coming out of a camera shop. As far as I know there's no independent corroboration of what happened then,nor of Steve ever being in Dubois 74 miles away. For all we know he could have arranged to meet her at the mountain at 4:30pm to check the route for her forthcoming run and taken her to some isolated spot,killed her and pushed the body down some mineshaft or crevice,then concealed the entrance with rocks. Steve's movements again are unaccounted for until 8:30pm when he alerts neighbours,and the call to Police is expressed in matter-of-fact tones,with no real concern for what might have befallen his wife at any stage.
I didn't say that the camper lied. I'm sure she saw a 4x4, the point I was making was that they are not uncommon. It's not like she saw a DeLorean and that's what Steve drove.

I don't know. Steve just didn't set off my hinkymeter. I'm inclined to think Eaton was to blame.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #45
Steve_uk
Suspended
Suspended

Quote:
I didn't say that the camper lied. I'm sure she saw a 4x4, the point I was making was that they are not uncommon. It's not like she saw a DeLorean and that's what Steve drove.

I don't know. Steve just didn't set off my hinkymeter. I'm inclined to think Eaton was to blame.
The camper did identify the same truck the following day driven by a man with a blonde in the passenger seat. We have the bruising on Amy's arm which her brother Nels identified some time before,and Steve's macabre journals kept since high school which included writings on control and death.From what I can ascertain Steve still does not have an alibi for the time in question.