Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Beavis
Forum Regular

Default JUST IN! SUPER RARE!! FESTIVE CHRISTMAS & TOY COMMERCIALS of the 70'S AND 80'S! FUN!

SUPER RARE FIND!!! CHRISTMAS & TOY COMMERCIALS of the 70'S AND 80'S! FUN!

Christmas is gone, but these old commercials are still great fun to watch! Here is a swell ULTRA RARE FIND! Nostalgia item for those who fondly recall Christmas past—the 1970’s and 80’s, to be exact. It is a two-hour DVD disc recently put together of Christmas and toy commercials (recorded in SP mode) that were culled from many sources in my private collection. When family and friends gather ‘round, this is always an amusing tape to play, sure to inspire conversation and memories.

More than a quarter of the DVD is devoted to Christmas-themed ads, mostly at the beginning with more scattered throughout. The classic Coke “I’d like to teach the world to sing” commercial redone yuletide-style, a 1976 Toys R Us spot with Geoffrey and family zipping around in their convertible, John Forsythe for Michelob (“holidays were made for Michelob…”), McDonald’s, Barbie, Dial-a-Santa (with A Christmas Story’s Peter Billingsley), Underoos, Andre Champagne (ting!), cheesy Ronco ads pushing Mr. Microphone, the Potato Chip Maker, etc., as great Christmas gifts, and many more. Lots of long-gone New York City area stores are featured, such as Harrow’s, Korvettes, Two Guys, TSS and Mays. There are also spots from such stations as WOR and WCBS in New York City, KOIN in Portland OR and KPIX in San Francisco.

In the toy department, you have such classics as the Star Wars early bird set (the first four figures which you received by mail), Slinky, Tyco and AFX racers, Strawberry Shortcake, Operation, Big Wheel, Viewmaster, He-Man, Micronauts, Smurfs, Charlie’s Angels and Wonder Woman dolls, Hot Wheels, Shrinky Dinks, Fisher-Price Little People, Colorforms, Lego, Mr. Potato Head, Cabbage Patch Kids, Lite Brite, Play Doh, Slime, My Little Pony, Rubik’s Cube, Monchhichi, Nerf, Holly Hobbie, Weebles, Pound Puppies, Hungry Hungry Hippos, and many many more. There’s lots of old video games too, like Atari, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, early Nintendo, Merlin, Fairchild, and other positively prehistoric gadgetry. And wait until you get a load of all the local and regional toy ads with terrible production and acting. They just don’t make ‘em like that anymore…

There are ads for toys by Marx, Kenner, Coleco, Duncan, Tomy, Ideal, Mattel, Parker Brothers, Tonka, Schaper, Milton Bradley, Ohio Art, Wham-o, Gabriel and others. Stores include Playworld, Childworld, Radio Shack, Crazy Eddie, JC Penney, Macy’s, Alexander’s, Safeway, Hills, Hart’s, Arthur’s, Skagg’s and more. Plus, see Cher, Sheena Easton, Lionel Richie, Barry Manilow and Eddie Rabbitt offer season's greetings from the 1982 Solid Gold Christmas Special.

These commercials are highly watchable but not always perfect. The editing is not always seamless, and there's rainbowing here and there. I rejected a lot of great material because of picture or sound quality concerns, but a few that were just too good to pass up are on here. I think you will find it a pleasant viewing experience and not a frustrating headache like many of the tapes I've encountered in my years of collecting.

Here's the alphabetical list of the commercials on the DVD:

This DVD is about two hours in SP mode, with over 230 commercials!!. In some cases, there is more than one ad for each item listed here. Quality varies, but most are good and all are watchable. If it's not a toy, then it's a Christmas-themed commercial.

A
AFX Lazer 2000
Ace Hardware -- Also on my celeb tape, with Suzanne Somers.
Activision video games
Alexander's -- NYC area department store.
Alligator Game-- With Scott Schwartz of "A Christmas Story."
Alpha Probe -- Fisher-Price's space shuttle.
Alvin the Aardvark -- Lame Kenner toy. Even Alvin's song was luke-warm on him: "Alvin the Aardvark, we like you."
Andre Champagne -- Ting!
Arthur's stores
Astroblast -- "You give missiles the muscle." '78.
Atari -- various

B
Baby Ann and her Care Set
A Bad Case of Worms -- Two rubber worms in a little suitcase. Best toy name ever. '81.
Bank Shot electronic pool game -- '80.
Barbie Dream House -- With Benson's Missy Gold. Has theme song "Barbie Girl" (no, not that one) to the tune of "Georgy Girl."
Barbie Star Traveler van -- With Judy (Dynagirl) Strangis. '76.
Bargain Hunter game
Bat Away
Battlestar Galactica Cylon Warrior Bubbles -- '78.
Belt Racers -- A race track belt. How odd.
Betty Crocker Quick & Thick Shake Machine -- For those who like their shakes negligibly thicker than chocolate milk.
Beware the Spider
Big Wheel -- With a song to the tune of "We Are the Champions." Amazing.
Bionic Woman -- Dolls of Jaime Sommers and "Fembot" (!?!).
Bonkers
Boomuzzle -- Cheap ad for a cheap Perfection rip-off. '78.
Brush-A-Tune -- A music box you attach to your toothbrush which plays the first two lines of "If We Could Talk to the Animals"¯ ad infinitum. Really, really stupid.
Burger King -- BK apparently thought every boy and girl wanted to snuggle up with a cheap stuffed doll of the Burger King himself, a bearded man in orange tights. Almost as odd as their current creepy papier-mache-Burger-King-in-bed commercials. With Leah Ayres.
Burning Keycars -- With the deathless Meeno Peluce. (Hey, I just realized he's on this tape twice...)
Byrne Dairy Eggnog -- Animated with stop-motion Fisher-Price Little People!

C
CBS Special -- Not a commercial, but that brief dramatic intro, all percussion and horns and spinning, colorful letters, that preceded Rudolph and Charlie Brown. It still sets my heart a pitter patter...
Cabbage Patch Dolls
Ceaser's [sic] Bay Bazaar -- Brooklyn. "Cumta Seeziz, itsa boggin!"
Charlie's Angels -- One for the Adventure Van, another for the dolls.
Childworld
Chutes Away -- Dick Van Dyke. Also the lighted version.
Coca-Cola -- "I'd like to buy the world a home..." Christmas version of the earlier successful ad, with attractive young folks of every nationality holding candles and arranged on a hillside in the shape of a Christmas tree. Awww.
Coleco -- '83.
Collision Crossing -- Tyco.
Colorforms --What makes Colorforms stick? Is it some kind of a trick? Probably. Bastards.
Command Drive Dirt Bike -- I had this cool toy. From Marx.
Contraption
Crazy Eddie -- Jerry Carroll in all his glory. Check out the giant microwave ovens ("Chicken not included").
Crazy Foam -- Ultra-cheap regional ads. One can looks like a robot, the other a Smurf.

D
Dial-a-Santa -- The NYC area 976 number where you heard a different story every day, and on Christmas Eve, Mrs. Claus left a new message hourly telling where Santa was currently delivering gifts. Peter Billingsley is in this one. Very nice.
Digital Derby
Dizzy Dolphin Disco game
Donny and Marie Microphones -- Squawk unintelligibly over AM radio, just like Donny and Marie!
Dukes of Hazzard Finger Racers
Duncan Yo-Yos -- A discolicious commercial you DO NOT want to miss.

E
ET toys, riders, and video game -- Three from '82.
Etch-a-Sketch
Eyewitness Five News Game -- Don't know what station it's for.

F
Fairchild video game system
Fat Wheels -- RC jeep with tires you inflate. Big whoop.
Fisher-Price toys -- Various. '73, '78, '81. One's for the Little People Airport---sorry, make that "Play Family Jetport."
Floweriffic
Fluid Fantasy -- From Wham-o, mysteriously described as an "adult toy." I had it and really dug it, well before I had ever toked up.
Flying Aces -- '75.

G
Galleria -- Some mall in White Plains, NY.
Genie electronic game
Genovese -- With William B. Williams. NYC
Gimme 5 -- The song is a rip of "Stayin' Alive." '81.
Glamour Us -- '81.
Glowworm -- Also the Glowbug and the super-creepy Glowbaby.
Gorgeous Creatures -- Drag queen dolls with farm animal heads. Bizarre.
Grabbin' Dragons

H
Hart's stores
He-Man Castle Grayskull
He-Man Point Dread Talon Fighter
Hershey's Kisses -- "Inside this little Hershey's kiss..." '79.
Hill's stores -- Toys.
Holly Hobbie Day n' Night doll -- With Mara Hobel from "Mommy Dearest."
Hook-it -- Actually, I'm not sure if I put this ad on here, because it's the lamest toy ever.
Hook, Line and Stinker -- A scratch and sniff skunk spells F-U-N!
Hot Wheels -- For their 15th anniversary, HW made a commemorative belt buckle. In the commercial, a boy hesitantly touches the buckle worn by another boy in the single most unsavory moment on this tape.
Hungry Hungry Hippos

I
Imagic Cosmic Ark video game -- '82.
Incredible Hulk Inflatable Figure and Transmitter -- Catchy name. Even rolls on shag carpet!
Incredible Hulk Rage Cage -- Inflate the Hulk until he breaks his cage apart. Then, um...
Intellivision II
Invader From Space video game
Irwin Sings Sesame Street album -- That's Irwin the Duck, in case you forgot, singing classic Raposo.

J
JC Penney
Jiggles -- Disgusting make-it-yourself gummy candy.
John Denver's Rocky Mountain Christmas Special -- with Valerie Harper and Olivia Newton-John. '78.
Jordache Dolls -- '81.

K
KOIN -- Portland station intro to a showing of "Miracle on 34th Street," sponsored by Fred Meyer. '82.
KPIX -- San Francisco station cards
Kaybee
Korvette's -- Toyland sale, with the Farrah hairstying head and Wonder Woman doll. Also a Christmas countdown sale.

L
Lego
Lemon Twist -- That stupid jumping toy. Worst jingle ever.
Lite Brite -- '82.
Little Debbie -- Annoying little girl leaves cheap snacks for St. Nick.
Lip Gloss Lockets -- '81.

M
Macy's -- Thanksgiving parade preparations.
Magic Sand
Magic Show kit
Master Caster
Mattel Electronics and Pepsi -- This '80 ad is also on my celeb tape, as it features Hal Smith (Otis the drunk) as a football-helmeted Santa.
Mays department store -- The overwhelming red background screams "cheap commercial!" NYC.
McDonald's -- early-to-mid 70's winter-themed ad with familiar scenes (kid tries to eat burger through window) and that big white bag. Another from '78 with the unsettling revelation that all McDonaldland's denizens live together in one house. Yet another from '82, with Norman Rockwell ornaments.
Merlin -- One of the original unfun electronic toys. '81.
Michelob -- "Holidays are made for Michelob..." Holidays were made for getting 'faced. With John Forsythe.
Micronauts -- Really, what is cooler than these? '77, I think.
Mighty Men and Monster Maker
Monchhichi -- A young girl is sad because she dropped her ice cream cone, until an old man pulls a Monchhichi out of his pants. Okay, this might be weirder than the Hot Wheels belt buckle.
Mr. Potatohead -- '83.
Mr. T doll -- Great song ("He has a real cool haircut... he's twelve inches high"), but even the two kids in the commercial can't seem to figure out how to entertain themselves for 30 seconds with this dumb doll, mostly punching it or glaring at it.
Ms. Pac-Man video game
My Little Pony

N
NBC stars of 1982 (?) wish Merry Christmas to you, including the casts of Little House, Fame, Diff'rent Strokes, Real People, Father Murphy, CHiPs, Voyagers, Gimme a Break, Facts of Life, Silver Spoons, Love Sidney, and WNBC's Live at Five with Sue Simmons and Jack Cafferty.
The Nativity -- Spot for the 1978 ABC TV movie with crazy hot Madeleine Stowe as Mary.
Nerf -- Two spots.
Nintendo -- Two ads of truly old-school stuff, their hand-held games.

Odyssey 2 video game system -- Also a spot for their notorious Pac-Man rip-off, KC Munchkin.

O
Operation -- Ah, Cavity Sam, the fat, naked, genitalia-lacking man every kid knew so well.

P
Pebbles Cereal -- Fred and Barney improbably celebrate Christ's birth. I always thought they were Jewish. '81.
Pepsi -- Cute kiddie ad with Keshia Knight-Pulliam pre-Cosby. Also a Disney-related ad.
Pink & Pretty Barbie -- '81.
Play Ball -- A baseball on a string you attach to your glove. For sporty misanthropes and friendless outcasts.
Play Doh Dr. Drill n' Fill
Playworld -- "So low, low, low, low... looooooooow." Two versions!
Pound Puppies
Princess Makeup -- For your little girl to tart herself up with before hitting the roller rink.

Q
Qbert -- '83

R
R.B. Rice Sausage -- Animated bit with animals sharing the holiday table. '83.
Radio Flyer wagon
Radio Shack -- Two nosy little creeps ruin big sister's Christmas surprise. Another ad where ABC Afterschool Special staple Ike Eisenmann plays pong.
Reggie Jackson Junior Batting Trainer
Ronco ads -- Not entirely Christmasy, but have that familiar "Deck the Hall"¯ over the end part where they showed your local stores. Two Mr. Microphone ads, the older is classic cheese, but the newer (early 80's?) one is more tongue-in-cheek. Also the Potato Chip Machine and the Record Vac.
Rough Riders 4x4 Omniforce
Rubik's Cube

S
SSG Flyer -- Styrofoam airplane.
SSP Smash-up Derby Junk Jammers -- Cool as hell!
Safeway
Screechers Spiderman Vs. the Fly race set -- I had this. So tough! '77.
See n' Drive -- '78.
Sew Perfect
Show n' Tell Viewer
Shrinky Dinks -- Puffi-Fuzzi and glow-in-the-dark.
Singer Sewing Machines
Skagg's stores
Slime It's Alive -- Slime with eyeballs in it. Genuinely gross. '78.
Slime Monster game -- I had this. Wicked cool and tough! '77.
Slinky -- Two from '77.
Smurf Riders -- Coleco
Socker Boppers and Silly Swords -- Fun violence for the kiddies.
Sonic Ear -- Ohio Art's eavesdropping toy.
Sound FX Machine -- "I think it's a UFO..."
Spiderman Fluff Flyer -- Junky foam plane with a Spidey sticker on it.
Star Wars Darth Vader Collector's Case
Star Wars Early Bird Set -- This was the Holy Grail of 70's commercials for me. You bought a cardboard stand, sent in your certificate, and the figures of Luke, Leia, Artoo and Chewbacca were mailed to you. The day I got them in the mail was glorious, just glorious. '77.
Star Wars / The Empire Strikes Back figures -- Zuckuss
Starsky and Hutch car -- '77.
Strawberry Shortcake -- Garden House and Berry Busy Bug, '82.
Strolling Bowling -- I had this. Three whole minutes of fun.
Super Balloon -- Really just a very long Wonder Bread bag.
Superheroes Powershield -- I had the Captain America shield, natch.
Super Puff Basketball -- Watch the mom in this one---she acts like she's joining in the game, but is really only blocking the furniture. "Jeez ma, it's a FOAM ball!"

T
TSS -- NYC.
Talking Garfield dolls -- Mattel, '83.
Tender Lov'n Kisses doll -- She even kisses fishes. She's very peculiar.
Tobor -- At the end, as if it's a real kicker, the announcer solemnly intones, "Tobor is robot spelled backwards." No kidding. It's also a real eceip fo parc.
Toy City
Toys R Us -- "Fireplaces glowing, icicles growing, hearts overflowing with cheer..."¯ Classic 1976 ad has Geoffrey and family tooling around in their convertible. Upon seeing it, my brother scoffed , "Its snowing and they have the top down?"¯ I, a thoughtful seven-year-old, replied "What do you expect---they're giraffes."¯ Another from '80 with Arte Johnson, and another for a 1981 grand opening.
Tuff Stuff Shoppin' Basket -- Mattel, '81.
Tuneyville Choo-Choo -- Sterling Holloway voice-over.
Tweety and Sylvester Talking bank -- Cheap ad for a real piece of junk.
Two Guys -- NYC.

U
US Postal Service -- Robert Klein, Rose Marie, Willie Mays, Bobby Riggs, Milton Berle and Lynn Redgrave behoove you to mail Christmas items early.
Underoos
Union 76 gas -- A nice, wordless ad with the gruff guy who played a jealous hockey player on an episode of "The Odd Couple."
United Airlines -- Animated spot.
Up Down Change Around Rollercoaster -- Boy, that's a long name for a toy a kid will play with once.

V
Viewmaster Showbeam Projector

W
WCBS -- Peter Allen, Ed Koch, the PM Magazine hosts, Michele Marsh, and the homeliest child I've ever seen wish New Yorkers happy holidays (or, as one tot says, "Happy holidah").
WFAA -- Dallas station wishes happy holidays, '78.
WOR -- Forlorn New York City children stand around in fake snow and wave.
Weebles -- Blimp, Tumblin' Weebles, Tub Sub. Old school Weebles rule!
Weird Doh -- Very cheap commercial. Groovy 70's den, though.
Wendy's
Willi Walker -- An old-looking ad for a stuffed poodle.
Wonder Woman Dolls -- With Major Steve and Nubia (?!?). '77.
Woolco/Woolworth -- Racing toys.

XYZ
Yo Ball
Zany Zappers -- As seen in Blondie's "Rapture" video.
Zim Zam

Drive-In Intermission films Classic 50's - 70's DVD
Classic Drive-In Intermission films from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. These films are the films that would advertise the the snack br and the many goodies you can buy. Very Retro and just fun to watch! Look! Up on the screen! It’s a monster! It’s a nuclear accident! It’s... it’s... it’s a pizza? Used to be, back in the old days, moviehouses and drive-in theaters (remember them?) would show more than one film each evening. And between features, audiences were shown short films to keep them occupied. They entertained, they advertised, and, sometimes by accident, they even appalled. Hey, Folks! It’s Intermission Time! is a loving tribute to those cute little films of yore that have, with the passing of time, become the stuff of cinematic lore. This 90 minute-plus collection features a barrage of intermission shorts from the 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s. If you grew up in any of those decades, you’re sure to get a healthy dose of nostalgia taking them all in on this program. Included here are items that will not only interest movie fans, but social historians as well. Witness, for example, a 1950’s clip urging theater patrons to “save standard time and stop daylight savings time by writing to your newspaper editor.” The clip suggests “just follow the sun.” Then there’s the anti-TV number that illustrates the tiny dimensions of a television screen, especially when compared to a huge movie screen. It’s a telling reminder of how fearful the movie industry was of the burgeoning TV “giant” in the ’50s. As evidenced on this tape, the drive-ins of yesteryear were as much a place to pig-out as well as make out... or watch a movie. Scores of short films display the “scrumptious delights” awaiting Passion Pit patrons at the snack bar. There’s yummy hamburgers! (Actually, most look more like grilled Brillo Pads.) Appetizing hot dogs! (Is there something wrong with the projector or do weenies always look some strange shade of green in drive-in movie ads?) Spicy California pizza! (Appears to be something else. Perhaps a creature from another galaxy.) Strangely enough, one of the between-show segments features two crudely-drawn cartoon crooks robbing a house. A perfect scenario for keeping families comfortable while they are miles from home enjoying an evening at their favorite drive-in theater! There’s also twenty minutes of live Spook Show trailers and a book pitch. And, for God’s sake, “Please Replace the Speaker When You Leave. If Torn from Stand, Please Leave in Box at Exit.” B&W/Color DVD video - Two Hours! Great picture!

Drive-In Intermission films 50's - 70's Vol. 2 DVD
Volume Two of Classic Drive-In Intermission films from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. These films are the films that would advertise the the snack br and the many goodies you can buy. Very Retro and just fun to watch! Look! Up on the screen! It’s a monster! It’s a nuclear accident! It’s... it’s... it’s a pizza? Used to be, back in the old days, moviehouses and drive-in theaters (remember them?) would show more than one film each evening. And between features, audiences were shown short films to keep them occupied. They entertained, they advertised, and, sometimes by accident, they even appalled. Hey, Folks! It’s Intermission Time! is a loving tribute to those cute little films of yore that have, with the passing of time, become the stuff of cinematic lore. This 90 minute-plus collection features a barrage of intermission shorts from the 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s. If you grew up in any of those decades, you’re sure to get a healthy dose of nostalgia taking them all in on this program. Included here are items that will not only interest movie fans, but social historians as well. Witness, for example, a 1950’s clip urging theater patrons to “save standard time and stop daylight savings time by writing to your newspaper editor.” The clip suggests “just follow the sun.” Then there’s the anti-TV number that illustrates the tiny dimensions of a television screen, especially when compared to a huge movie screen. It’s a telling reminder of how fearful the movie industry was of the burgeoning TV “giant” in the ’50s. As evidenced on this tape, the drive-ins of yesteryear were as much a place to pig-out as well as make out... or watch a movie. Scores of short films display the “scrumptious delights” awaiting Passion Pit patrons at the snack bar. There’s yummy hamburgers! (Actually, most look more like grilled Brillo Pads.) Appetizing hot dogs! (Is there something wrong with the projector or do weenies always look some strange shade of green in drive-in movie ads?) Spicy California pizza! (Appears to be something else. Perhaps a creature from another galaxy.) Strangely enough, one of the between-show segments features two crudely-drawn cartoon crooks robbing a house. A perfect scenario for keeping families comfortable while they are miles from home enjoying an evening at their favorite drive-in theater! There’s also twenty minutes of live Spook Show trailers and a book pitch. And, for God’s sake, “Please Replace the Speaker When You Leave. If Torn from Stand, Please Leave in Box at Exit.” B&W/Color DVD video - Two Hours! Great picture!

NEW YORK CITY COMMERCIALS of the 70's and 80's! NYC!
Here’s a DVD for anyone who grew up in the New York City area in the 70’s and 80’s. It’s almost TWO full hours of NYC area local commercials of that era. Recorded in SP Mode. It will make a great, utterly unique gift too, if you know anyone from Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, the Bronx, or much of Connecticut or New Jersey.

This DVD eatures dozens of long-forgotten, low-budget gems, the kind you once enjoyed--or endured--during late-night horror movies or afternoon cartoons. They aired on WCBS, WNBC, WNEW, WABC, WOR or WPIX.

There are commercials for stores of the area, such as Two Guys, Korvette’s, Mays, TSS, Crazy Eddie, Woolco-Woolworth, Gimbel’s, A&S, Alexander’s, Newmark & Lewis, Macy’s, plus flea markets and bazaars such as QP’s and Ceaser’s Bay, Fae-Mart, Avenue I and Western Beef & Farmer’s Market. You’ll laugh and remember ads by Carvel, Martin Paint, Great Bear (that catchy song!), Record World, the Albert Merrill School, Jack LaLanne, Playworld, Childworld, Robert Fiance beauty school, Herman’s Warehouse, the Ritz Thrift Shop (“Oh… thank you.”), Castro Convertibles, Potamkin, Foodtown, and Shop-Rite (you know, the “can-can sale”).

Remember the creepy one for the Haunted Mansion at Long Beach? It’s on here! So are these memorable spots: the Sasson ad with four NY Rangers ice-dancing; “Take the train to the plane”; beautiful Mount Airy Lodge (one jingle for spring and another for winter); the rhyming owner of Globe Shoes; both the Day Line and Circle Line cruises; Wild West City (not the one with Uncle Floyd, unfortunately, but there IS one for his channel 68 show!); Rockaway’s Playland, Astroland, Action Park, Kingsburg Amusement Park, and more!

If you fondly recall how bad some local commercials were, there are some doozies on here! Remember the Coronet Brothers (who could barely talk and walk at the same time) with their running “joke” about the talking orangutan? They’re here! How about the owner of Lenny’s Clam Bar, as charismatic as he was unintelligible? There’s a commercial for the Bank of Ireland in Manhattan, well-made but with the worst song and singer I’ve ever heard in an ad. There’s a car dealership with a spokesman so fast-talking and obnoxious he’s a parody of himself. And I believe the dozen male, top-hatted jazz dancers camping it up for the Rainbow Shop will bring a smile of disbelief to anyone’s face.

There are many radio station ads, including WNEW-FM (with Scott Muni and others), WHYZ (Z-100), WAPP, WPLJ, WABC, WOR (John Gambling and Gene Klavan!), WPIX, WYNY, KISS-FM, WKHK (with Deborah Shelton), WHN, and WDHA. You’ll see personalities of the day from local news and politics, four WOR “Big Apple Minutes,” station ID’s, news and movie bumpers and cards announcing the next program. There are quite a few Christmas-themed commercials. There are also lots of commercials with scenes of our majestic World Trade Center twin towers, including one touting the observation deck. Having grown up on Long Island, I can tell you that watching these can be bittersweet. You may want to take that into consideration if planning to give the tape as a gift…

Quickly, here are some others you’ll find: Commander Oil (with the German Shepherd on top of the truck!)… Dial Santa, Dial-a-Joke, Dial-a-Story, MusicLine… Magic Garden LP… NY Lotto and Daily News Zingo… the Nevele, the Hotel Seville, the Collingwood, Marriot’s Essex House, Charles & Lillian Brown’s Hotel (with the “Jerry Lewis Disco!”)… Broadway musicals Annie, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Little Shop of Horrors, Blackstone… Public Service Announcements including “Cross at the green, not in-between,” don’t play in empty buildings, don’t write on walls, don’t mess up the subways with candy bar wrappers, the one where the grandfather tells the kid he’s prejudiced (because the kid said Jimmy is his “Jewish friend” and not just his friend), a couple for water conservation in the drought days of the early eighties (one with Don Imus)… And many more!

The DVD is 112 minutes. Video quality and audio quality vary throughout the tape, but I try to ensure that my collections are highly watchable, not like the many headache-inducing DVDs I’ve encountered in my years of collecting. If there’s a crummy-looking ad here and there, it’s because I felt the nostalgia value justified its inclusion.

Last edited by Beavis; 02-16-2006 at 02:51 AM.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Thumbs up

Hey Beavis

Are you in the marketing business or somethin' ? Because you have a flair for introducing new product.

I just want to STOP what I'm doing, pick up that phone, dial that 1-800 number, and ORDER whatever the heck you're pushing this week !!!

I Love these posts !

Joker
y2k3Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
loren

way before i started collecting tv shows

i purchased a set of 5 dvds from ebay

it was all old commercials

some going back to the 50s

for some reason i liked this stuff

if anyone has any of the following adds

i would like a copy

mac donalds---the nipper sinkers , a group of litle kids int he rain with yellow rain coats singing the song

united way-- nolan cromwell, and stalone, in the boxing ring

nike--jon randall from the vikings is sewing a favre uniform,and puts it on a chicken and chases it around, much like rocky did in the early movie

apple computers--pretty much any apple adds

i dont want any others, only these few

lets not start a commercial collection
loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #4
Beavis
Forum Regular

Default Re: ChristmasCommercials

Hello Joker! You make me laugh! I think it's the font selection I use in my posts? I love this fun stuff, commercials, music dvds of tv families etc... This is a real gem of a collection of rare Christmas and Holiday Commercials over the two (2) Decades!

Last edited by Beavis; 03-17-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
simio
Occasional Poster

Default Flair for rip-offs, anyway.

Those commercial tapes are my creation. I don't care that he's reselling them--they're not copyrighted or anything, so I expected it--but I wrote all the descriptions which he lifted right off my ebay auction. A little credit would have been nice... anyone out there interested in these commercials, why not look up seller "simio" on ebay and get a better dupe? VHS or DVD, just let me know...
simio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Beavis
Forum Regular

Default re: commecials

Yo!

All these were acquired from a previous trade, with the descriptions as re-copied from me... I did not lift anything.. I get a trade and used the same descrption as given tome to pass along..others have also used the same exact descriptions (i.e., I copied the description exactly as given to me as they got it from someone else) whoever wrote it, I just cut and pasted it here...as stated...I was not going to re-type the entire full listings or descriptions...simply cut and paste baby,..no need to give credit, just cut and paste....it's fast, fun and easy! there is no way I would ever tackle this project myself...but it's very good...I did NOT create these, and my copy is a pristine copy source dircet to dvd so there is no generation loss..yours are vhs mine are dvd....if you created these, more power to you..

2nd, I do not, nor have I ever sold these, period. I merely share and trade, and do not sell so many have enjoyed your fine works...

3rd, again, if you created these, they are great...my thanks to you and many folks here have already enjoyed them......no credit could ever be given to you initially when I posted these, since no one knew who created them,other than to use the descriptions passed along..., since these were acquired by someone else, who gave them to me, thus no one knew where they came from,..or who probably got them from you, or somewhere else, but I' got two versions...the vhs tapes, which were okay.....and the dvd vesions which were far better.... so the tapes are good, but the dvds I have of it are better, trust me, I've seen both already since the dvds were better 9.0/10 quality the rest 8.0-8.5 solid give or take.....

So, if you are the author of this, AWESOME! GO make us some more! You do great work! and Thanks!

Last edited by Beavis; 05-16-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Lamont
Lamont says Smile!

Default acceptable

a few thoughts

for such a HUGE and detailed collection, it is perfectly understandable that someone would just CUT and PASTE the list of what all was there---- again, simio stated its nothing copyrighted, so i do NOT see what the harm is in that whoever sent it to beavis, used the same description and now beavis posted it here

its no big deal at all and not worth getting upset over

in the trading world, people copy ads and descriptions, people will use artwork created by another, etc, etc, etc

it goes with the territory

i dont think beavis has a thing to apologize for

also if these are copies made from a duplicator or computer, the quality would be the same no matter who burns them off, right?

i understand that the person spent a lot of time doing a set up, and that is great
but i have done sets up as well, and i fully realize that once they leave the junkyard, they will be all over the net in about a week

I have not been trading for some time now, so please do not ask---- sorry, i cannot help you!
Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
jennymcc
VP:AmCanTranConComCo
Frequent Poster

C R A Z Y E D D Y ! ! !

OMG!! What a trip those commercials were!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
simio
Occasional Poster

Default No harm done...

I wasn't upset, exactly, it's just that I'm a writer, so to see my words duplicated exactly and then taken credit for (implicitly, when accepting the compliment on the post) was a little annoying. My "rip-off" heading was meant jokingly, sorry if it came off as angry. I actually am glad that these collections are getting traded so much. I put a lot of work into assembling them. Admittedly, most of the ads are taken from 13 or 14 tapes I got from another ebay seller. Once I saw he had stopped offering them, I made the compilations because I wanted to distill them down to the most interesting and best quality for a larger audience of nostalgics, not just hardcore collectors like me who want everything that's out there! So no big deal... Oh, and I offer them on DVD too now. My god, a DVD recorder is a beautiful thing...
simio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Scottyb354
First Time Poster

Default Classic NY Commercial DVD

I saw your post on the trading post and I was wondering how I could get a copy of that from you. I am a feature prop master in L.A and am currently working on a period project set in NYC. I also grew up in NY and would love to see some of these again. I have a tn of film prop memorabillia that I am willing to trade. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Scott Buckwald
Scottyb354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Mildr3d
First Time Poster

I am so interested in geting the NYC commercials of the 70 and 80s. How can I get a copy ?

MVB
Mildr3d is offline   Reply With Quote