Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

Default how are soaps filmed?

I have been watching DooL a lot lately and GH sometimes, but I was led to wondering something.

Are soaps filmed daily, or will they give the cast several days worth of script to film, since many times on shows, they'll stay in the same day for a week or two worth of episodes. Would each day, they just film the scenes for the days episode, or go ahead and film each vignette for the entire week, give or take?
Dean Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
spunkygirl
Forum Veteran

I think they tape daily. Not entirely sure. I know they have ALOT of dialogue to memorize in a short period of time(sometimes 100+ pages in a day)
spunkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
James"Thunder"Early
Whoever's In New England

They tape in on different days, not necessarily in a row.

Peggy Mitchell: Get outta my pub!

You better pray you get the last laugh, it's a kick in the teeth when you don't get it.
James"Thunder"Early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
bry
Forum Regular

this won't answer your questions but it's neat.
the NBC tour was great.
we got to the soap part. the guide told us all kinds of nifty things. like showing us a huge place that held every single prop ever on the show. said each room was photographed in many directions and each prop met the camera shots. each prop was numbered and catalogued so that everytime a set was put in place, each prop would be easily accessed and found to be put in it's place.
they have a taylor on board to make all the clothes, which are stored.
the sets are replaced on the same stages. while outside the NBC studio, you could tell it was set up to be the place in rome at the time (back in '97 i think when bo was looking to find the drugged out billy). that same set was redecorated so we would not recognize it as salem place in it's regular guise.
i did see the girl that played jennifer then, she walked by our group and said hello to us. and i saw peter reckell as i peered into the studio.
that was the best part of the tour for me.
but the episodes are filmed about 3 weeks ahead of the tv broadcast.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
JT

It should be noted that soaps are, and always have been, taped, not filmed. Not many shows are taped anymore, which is why soaps look so different. Back in the 70s, most of Norman Lear's shows were done up like the daytime soaps, so they all had the same look to them.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
bry
Forum Regular

i realize that to people in the technology know, the difference to 'taped' and 'filmed' is a difference. but to the majority of us, the use of either word is not incorrect because we do not know the difference.
i don't think that you are trying to correct me here but i am not sure. but either way, can you explain the difference to where it actually makes some sense? i've heard it before and i see no understanding in what i was told.
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry
i realize that to people in the technology know, the difference to 'taped' and 'filmed' is a difference. but to the majority of us, the use of either word is not incorrect because we do not know the difference.
i don't think that you are trying to correct me here but i am not sure. but either way, can you explain the difference to where it actually makes some sense? i've heard it before and i see no understanding in what i was told.
It's simple. Filmed shows are shot on film. Taped shows are shot on tape.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
bry
Forum Regular

you know, that's a smart ass response to a legitimate question. i can see now that you are just being as ass to correct me.
why not take your sorry attitude off your shoulders and be decent when people ask a question or make a statement. otherwise, if you can't do that you should keep your mouth shut. people come here for entertainment, not be treated like a 2 year old.
like i said, to those that don't now the difference, they don't know any better. if you're so smart, you could treat people well and share what you know to educate people.
is that too human for you?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

ok, taped, filmed... whatever. That's not the question (and therefore the answer wasn't given). How are they shot? (okay, that's a nice term that goes for either film or video)

For example, the on-going DooL storyline set in the hospital after Zach's murder with Bo, Hope and Chelsea has been playing out over the past three or so weeks. Usually about 7-10 minutes of new episode footage a day (minus commercials and considering there's usually 3 or 4 other stories to share screentime with). Do they just go and tape those day by day or will they give the actors a weeks worth of what's coming up and then go ahead and knock several days of that storyline out in one day of taping and then edit everything around when it comes time to air?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry
you know, that's a smart ass response to a legitimate question. i can see now that you are just being as ass to correct me.
why not take your sorry attitude off your shoulders and be decent when people ask a question or make a statement. otherwise, if you can't do that you should keep your mouth shut. people come here for entertainment, not be treated like a 2 year old.
like i said, to those that don't now the difference, they don't know any better. if you're so smart, you could treat people well and share what you know to educate people.
is that too human for you?
And you could tell my tone and attitude from what? The size and font of my words? I was trying to be informative and if you choose to believe otherwise, you shouldn't.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNG UP!
ok, taped, filmed... whatever. That's not the question (and therefore the answer wasn't given). How are they shot? (okay, that's a nice term that goes for either film or video)

For example, the on-going DooL storyline set in the hospital after Zach's murder with Bo, Hope and Chelsea has been playing out over the past three or so weeks. Usually about 7-10 minutes of new episode footage a day (minus commercials and considering there's usually 3 or 4 other stories to share screentime with). Do they just go and tape those day by day or will they give the actors a weeks worth of what's coming up and then go ahead and knock several days of that storyline out in one day of taping and then edit everything around when it comes time to air?
I've always thought that they tape all of the scenes on a particular set at once and then the editing staff puts the episodes in sequence.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #12
bry
Forum Regular

my apologies then JT, if you were trying to be informative. the words you chose just sounded like i said.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
I've always thought that they tape all of the scenes on a particular set at once and then the editing staff puts the episodes in sequence.
yea, that does make sense... I was wondering why because one day, Kyle Brandt has one look and then the next time you see him, he's got a different haircut and more/less facial hair, and it made me wondering if they ended up taping a lot of it at once. Just look at how Bryan Dattillo's hair seemed to grow two inches almost overnight and suddenly his goatee was back.

I do kinda hate myself for not giving Days a chance when Jensen Ackles was there
Old 02-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
spunkygirl
Forum Veteran

I know they tape about 3-4 weeks in advance too, so that's why one minute to the next their hair can look different and whatnot

I remember watching Days when Jensen was on their, he's a great actor
spunkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
db108108
Teacher (for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
That must be hell for the actors on Passions considering that one set scene can last for weeks.
db108108 is offline   Reply With Quote