Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #91
PerhapsIt'sYou
Occasional Poster

What evidence exists that a drug cartel murdered? Zilch. Nada. Just fantastic tales

I know this is a very sensitive subject. And I want to tread lightly. No parent ever wants to believe their child is suicidal or committed suicide.
PerhapsIt'sYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #92
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerhapsIt'sYou
What evidence exists that a drug cartel murdered? Zilch. Nada. Just fantastic tales

I know this is a very sensitive subject. And I want to tread lightly. No parent ever wants to believe their child is suicidal or committed suicide.
I haven't watched the segment in some time, but was the location of the gunshot wound to Norman's head ever revealed? I don't know how long the rifle barrel was, but depending on the location of the wound one could make an estimate of how the rifle would have had to have been oriented, and whether Norman could've pulled the trigger.

Also, didn't he have a blunt force wound to the top of his head?

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #93
JannTosh
Forum Regular

can someone change the title? Didn't realize this was about Norman Ladner
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #94
PerhapsIt'sYou
Occasional Poster

Delete double post

Last edited by PerhapsIt'sYou; 02-11-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Double post
PerhapsIt'sYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #95
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I would love to know what evidence was uncovered to make them switch from an accident to a suicide. Was it solely the fact that he died from a close contact wound? That doesn't take into account the cut that he had on his head. Which is why I think an accident is more likely. This was one of the few suicide or murder segments where I think an accident was the most likely scenario. Especially after seeing the Don Hamilton segment. Norman was probably in a tree, the branch broke and he fell causing the gun to discharge and shoot him. It would account for the cut found on his head, as well as the investigators initially believing he fell out of a tree prior to getting shot (assuming there was evidence that indicated he was in a tree, like broken branches found around his body).
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #96
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I would love to know what evidence was uncovered to make them switch from an accident to a suicide. Was it solely the fact that he died from a close contact wound? That doesn't take into account the cut that he had on his head. Which is why I think an accident is more likely. This was one of the few suicide or murder segments where I think an accident was the most likely scenario. Especially after seeing the Don Hamilton segment. Norman was probably in a tree, the branch broke and he fell causing the gun to discharge and shoot him. It would account for the cut found on his head, as well as the investigators initially believing he fell out of a tree prior to getting shot (assuming there was evidence that indicated he was in a tree, like broken branches found around his body).
I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended) and say there was no evidence to justify changing the cause of death. While I tend to agree with the "Occam's Razor" assertion when viewing some of these segments in retrospect, this one seems to have a little bit more going on.

This particular post by MegtheEgg86 (in this larger thread) seems to point to Sheriff Lumpkin (who was interviewed in the segment) perpetrating a cover-up.

It may not be Mena-level drug drops involving the CIA, but either way, I'd have to agree that this guy wasn't totally "on the level" (the random stranger approaching his mother at the funeral home and telling her to quit asking questions clinches it for me)
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #97
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85
It may not be Mena-level drug drops involving the CIA, but either way, I'd have to agree that this guy wasn't totally "on the level" (the random stranger approaching his mother at the funeral home and telling her to quit asking questions clinches it for me)
There really could be any number of alternate explanations for that interaction though.

First, the story is relayed by the mother so it is hardly without bias. Second, even if we assume this interaction took place, is it not possible that she could have misinterpreted what the guy said? He could have been telling her to "move on" and focus on her other children. Or, he could have been some crackpot or screwball who was messing with her.

Also, if this account is to be believed, then we have to believe that this man who had knowledge that Norman Ladner was, in fact, murdered just happened to be in the same place at the same time as the family and happened upon this opportunity and used it to relay a message.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #98
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The whole drug deal angle (featured in this and several other segments) seems borderline satanic panic to me. Assuming Norman was murdered:

-Why did his killer/s leave behind the homemade radio device roughly 300 yards away from the crime scene, increasing their chances of connecting them with Norman's murder? They had the time to go back and retrieve it. Norman's father found it several weeks after Norman's death.
-If these drug dealers were sophisticated enough to be using low level radio frequencies to let planes know where to drop off the drugs, would they be the type of drug smuggler to murder a 17 year old? We're not talking about random gang bangers selling drugs, if that device was in fact used by drug smugglers, that's high technological stuff for the late 80's. I find it hard to believe these people would murder Norman just because he stumbled onto something involving drugs.
-What are the odds that someone with knowledge of Norman's murder would also be at the coroner's office 3 weeks after his death to intercept his parents and tell them to stop digging into the case? Not to mention that his parents made no effort to ascertain the identity of this man.

All of the evidence presented in this case that supports the murder theory, was found or introduced by Norman's parents. And just like many of the other suicide/murder segments, you have to take their word with a grain of salt, IMO. Not saying that the police department or investigators are beyond reproach, but I often see too much stock being put into innuendos and rumors whenever it makes the police look bad or incompetent.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #99
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
All of the evidence presented in this case that supports the murder theory, was found or introduced by Norman's parents. And just like many of the other suicide/murder segments, you have to take their word with a grain of salt, IMO. Not saying that the police department or investigators are beyond reproach, but I often see too much stock being put into innuendos and rumors whenever it makes the police look bad or incompetent.

Okay, I can concede that the encounter w/Norman's mother was probably entirely innocent.

When I say that the Sheriff was behind a cover-up though, I mean to say that there were probably mistakes made during the investigation and he swept them (or had them swept) under the rug as a means of insulating himself and his agency from any civil or criminal liability - this is sadly all too common and has been seen in many other cases.

I agree too that the drug angle was overplayed in a lot of these.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #100
justins5256

Quote:
When I say that the Sheriff was behind a cover-up though, I mean to say that there were probably mistakes made during the investigation and he swept them (or had them swept) under the rug as a means of insulating himself and his agency from any civil or criminal liability - this is sadly all too common and has been seen in many other cases.
The initial cause of death was accident and the family accepted it. It wasn't until the cause of death was changed to suicide that they started to question it being something else.

This begs the question - if the sheriff was really hiding something, why did he just not leave the cause of death at accident? He even said at the end of the segment that had the ruling been an accident the family probably would accept it. To me, if he was hiding something, that would have made much more logical sense.

Also, there seems to be a bias on here to just automatically assume the cops are wrong, lazy, incompetent, etc. and automatically giving the leg up to the theories of the family, appealant (in a final appeal case). I can't say I understand this logic considering the other side has perhaps even more reason to be biased.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #101
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
The initial cause of death was accident and the family accepted it. It wasn't until the cause of death was changed to suicide that they started to question it being something else.

This begs the question - if the sheriff was really hiding something, why did he just not leave the cause of death at accident? He even said at the end of the segment that had the ruling been an accident the family probably would accept it. To me, if he was hiding something, that would have made much more logical sense.

Also, there seems to be a bias on here to just automatically assuming the cops are wrong, lazy, incompetent, etc. and automatically giving the leg up to the theories of the family, appealant (in a final appeal case), etc. I can't say I understand this reasoning considering the other side has perhaps even more reason to be biased.
For me, my skepticism comes down to the reasoning/evidence (or lack thereof) behind changing the cause of death. TheCars1986 laid out pretty good evidence to support an accident. The coroner though later changed the cause of death to suicide and the Sheriff seemed to just parrot that conclusion. Why? There's nothing that backs that up other than the close contact wound (and thats a pretty spurious justification at best).

I don't think Norman was murdered, I don't think there was any sort of conspiracy (if other people do, that's on them). There was clear evidence that it was an accident and the initial cause of death was even reported as such. Changing it though without anything to back it up, physically, forensically or otherwise (there was never any suicide note found, no documented history of depression/mental illness was mentioned etc) seems pretty incompetent to me at the very least.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #102
justins5256

Quote:
For me, my skepticism comes down to the reasoning/evidence (or lack thereof) behind changing the cause of death. TheCars1986 laid out pretty good evidence to support an accident. The coroner though later changed the cause of death to suicide and the Sheriff seemed to just parrot that conclusion. Why? There's nothing that backs that up other than the close contact wound (and thats a pretty spurious justification at best).
Personally, I think this is a shortcoming of the segment itself.

It is mentioned, albeit briefly, that the Sheriff initially thought the cause of death was an accident. However, the coroner changed it to suicide after the autopsy. No rationale for this decision is given (that I can recall anyway). The rest of the segment focuses on the murder theory and the accident angle is not revisited again.

All that being said, I can't help but wonder if there were reasons for the change that UM didn't disclose. It wouldn't be the first time inconvenient facts were left out in order to tell a good story.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #103
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Personally, I think this is a shortcoming of the segment itself.

It is mentioned, albeit briefly, that the Sheriff initially thought the cause of death was an accident. However, the coroner changed it to suicide after the autopsy. No rationale for this decision is given (that I can recall anyway). The rest of the segment focuses on the murder theory and the accident angle is not revisited again.

All that being said, I can't help but wonder if there were reasons for the change that UM didn't disclose. It wouldn't be the first time inconvenient facts were left out in order to tell a good story.
You're probably right. One could only wonder what was left on the cutting room floor so to speak.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #104
justins5256

Quote:
You're probably right. One could only wonder what was left on the cutting room floor so to speak.
It is unfortunate that the UM segment is the only source of information about this story.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #105
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Okay, I can concede that the encounter w/Norman's mother was probably entirely innocent.

I agree too that the drug angle was overplayed in a lot of these.
I don't know how much of a cover up by the hands of law enforcement would benefit them in this case. They suspected accident, and ruled it as such. The coroner, after doing the autopsy, changed it to suicide because of the close contact wound to his temple. What is law enforcement supposed to do at that point? Challenge the coroner?