Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Developing Comedy Series Based Upon Vacation Films; Beverly Hillbillies Mansion Sells for $150 Million
Fri-Yay: Hope for Sitcoms of the 2020s; Good Times Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience
All in the Family Cast Announced for Next Live in Front of a Studio Audience; Curb Returns Jan. 19
Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #391
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy1825 View Post
Calling 911? Remember this was the early 80's
911 was not what it is today. I grew up on the outskirts of Pittsburgh and at that time we did not even have 911 and I still remember the local police phone number 40 years later 412 262 5000. The 911 point is simply not a valid one at all.
Indeed. Just for reference - In 1989, only 50% of the country had access to 911. That number rose to 99% a decade later but the 80s were a different time. If you hopped in a time machine and talked to little kids about 911 in the 80s, you would get nothing close to what they know today.

Anthonette went missing in 1986. But this line of thinking would be more accurate had she gone missing in 2006.
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #392
PracTz

If someone believed they were being held in Albuquerque, why call the police station in Gallup (a town that's 122 miles away) instead of in Albuquerque itself? Even if the Gallup police instantly pinpointed where in Albuquerque the call originated from , the kidnappers could have easily taken the child to a different location by the time any police arrived (even if the Gallup police got the Albuquerque police involved) ! That's one reason I'm not sure about the validity of that call.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #393
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz View Post
If someone believed they were being held in Albuquerque, why call the police station in Gallup (a town that's 122 miles away) instead of in Albuquerque itself?
Because an 11 year old girl who spent 95% of her life living in Gallup would more likely know the number for the Gallup police as opposed to anywhere else in the state? We wouldn't know how long she were living in Albuquerque and what local numbers she would know or have access to. A trapped and desperate kid would go with what they knew in that situation.

I can't say for sure whether that girl was actually Anthonette. But I'm kind of surprised to see how many people write off that phone call, because I think it sounds disturbing. Especially the part where she screams. Little kids pretending don't sound as convincing as the girl on that tape, IMO.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #394
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
Because an 11 year old girl who spent 95% of her life living in Gallup would more likely know the number for the Gallup police as opposed to anywhere else in the state? We wouldn't know how long she were living in Albuquerque and what local numbers she would know or have access to. A trapped and desperate kid would go with what they knew in that situation.

I can't say for sure whether that girl was actually Anthonette. But I'm kind of surprised to see how many people write off that phone call, because I think it sounds disturbing. Especially the part where she screams. Little kids pretending don't sound as convincing as the girl on that tape, IMO.
Yeah, but I think Albuquerque DID have 911 service by that point (and likely had TV spots a child would have heard and/or being displayed on phones/phonebooks). 911 is MUCH easier to remember than a local PD's number. And as for the scream? IF it was a cruel prank, it's possible that whatever adult might have coached the girl to have rehearsed countless times HOW to convincingly scream before any call got made! I'm not saying that there's zero chance for the call to have been made by the missing girl herself who ONLY had knowledge of her own local PD phone number and screamed out of genuine fear but I think there's a good probability it could have been a cruel prank for the reasons I've stated.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #395
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz View Post
Yeah, but I think Albuquerque DID have 911 service by that point (and likely had TV spots a child would have heard and/or being displayed on phones/phonebooks). 911 is MUCH easier to remember than a local PD's number.
Like I said before, only 50% of the country had access to 911 in 1987. All sources I have researched online state that but the exact cities and/or states are not listed so there's no way to know for sure in regards to New Mexico. But even if Albuquerque DID have it at the time, it's not a forgone conclusion that it would be the first go to call in an emergency.

Just months after that phone call was made to the Albuquerque Police, President Reagan gave a speech to the American people urging them to START using 911 more in case of emergencies. He made this speech despite exactly half the county not having access to what he was encouraging, so there must have been a vision at the time to make 911 become the thing it is today. I was a very little kid in the 80s and I remember my parents teaching me the number for the local police. My first memories of 911 didn't come until a couple years later.

I agree that 911 is much easier to remember but you're not looking at this from a 1987 perspective.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #396
jets4life
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
I don't know anything about this person and I have never watched their videos, but I do find it odd (and a little annoying) that people who have never participated on this board have written blogs, recorded vlogs, and done podcasts essentially regurgitating the theories that posters have come up with on here without giving credit. I've seen at least 2 blogs which have stolen some of my posts word for word about the Circleville Writer.
I've definitely noticed that too.

Cayleigh Elise puts in much work for her videos, but I find her condescending towards forums like this. It's a real put-off. It's great a person puts in the effort to draw attention to these cases, but dismissing posts she does not agree with, and insinuating her theories are correct will not endear someone to the Websleuthing community.
jets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #397
jets4life
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Indeed. Just for reference - In 1989, only 50% of the country had access to 911. That number rose to 99% a decade later but the 80s were a different time. If you hopped in a time machine and talked to little kids about 911 in the 80s, you would get nothing close to what they know today.
That is surprising. In Canada, it was much higher during that same period of time. Incidentally, 9-1-1 was first implemented in Winnipeg, Canada, the city I was born in. I believe the 9-1-1 system came into effect in the late 50s here, so by the 80s, it was well known in most Canadian cities, I guess it may have been implemented much later in America.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #398
jets4life
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that it was staged by Penny, and possibly one of her daughters, to divert suspicion off the family. Penny failed a polygraph test, and was less than forthcoming during the investigation, as she was often messed up on drugs.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #399
wackerstack
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Yeah, it's one of the very few instances of a non-recreated authentic recording on the show that made me shiver and actually feel dread. Which doesn't mean it's real, but it sure has an effect...
wackerstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #400
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
^^^ THIS x 100

I'm not saying Penny didn't have something to do with this, but there is almost no way that call is fake. If so, those must have been professional actors. From the anger in the man's voice to the terror in the little girl's voice, I don't think that was staged. It may not be her talking, but like dynoguy said it is disturbing. As the father of young kids, I highly doubt you could coach them to be that believable on the first try.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #401
freakbook

Quote:
But I'm kind of surprised to see how many people write off that phone call, because I think it sounds disturbing. Especially the part where she screams. Little kids pretending don't sound as convincing as the girl on that tape, IMO.
people write off the phone call because it sounds like a woman masking her voice to sound like a man's
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #402
jets4life
Frequent Poster

This 2016 article (with the sister Wendy being interviewed) should put to rest any debate as to whether the mother was into drugs or not:

No answers and no Anthonette devastated Montoya’s family – and Montoya.

“It just broke my whole family up,” she tells me in a phone call from Bakersfield, Calif., where she lives with her own family. “It was a very dark and dysfunctional time.”

Montoya says she and her mother could barely speak of Anthonette without crying, and then without drinking and getting high.

“That was how we coped with the pain, to numb it, not to forget about it but to put it on the shelf, you know?” she says

News accounts say that investigators believe Penny Cayedito knew more about her daughter’s disappearance than she had revealed and that she had failed a lie-detector test. She died April 18, 1999, two weeks and 13 years after Anthonette’s disappearance, whatever secrets she might have held dying with her.

Montoya became estranged from her middle sister. She fell deeper into drugs, alcohol and gangs and was in and out of the criminal justice system. She lost custody of her children.

source:https://www.abqjournal.com/752146/ho...years-ago.html

Last edited by jets4life; 09-21-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:23 AM   #403
jets4life
Frequent Poster

Someone with intimate knowledge registered on the forum, and posted on this thread only once, on October 1, 2009 (username: "GeezItsOnlyMe", well before the news articles were pointing to the mother, and Penny being involved in drugs. She knew the sister Wendy from school, and her information checks out with the 2010 article from the Gallop newspaper on Anthonette's disappearance, and later on in the 2016 interview Wendy gave with the media:

"There is another theory local authorities thought of but could not quite prove as the stories gathered centered around the immediate family. This thread is quite interesting and it has some good points.

I'm not too sure how to say the whole thing but it mainly focuses on the mother as being the one directly involved. The neighborhood in which this family resided is considered very low income, within city limits, and on one of the main roads in the city. Approximately a week after this abduction occured, the mother acquired a brand new vehicle that was well beyond her income capabilities. If my child was abducted, having a new ride would be the last thing on my mind.

Also, the mother's behavior after this abduction wasn't 'normal' for someone who was grieving. I don't remember details but it was along the lines that she had a carefree attitude as if she knew her daughter was ok. A theory that wasn't really emphasized due to the limited resources of people to interview, was that the mother arranged for her daughter to be 'married' off (illegally of course) in exchange for money (and how she got her vehicle).

Taking that into mind, the mother and the other party conspired the kidnapping to make her disappearance more legit. Its a huge possibilty she made sure her daughter was awake enough to hear the knock on the door and knowing she would answer it had she believed it was her uncle. And while this event happened, the mother kept quiet in the room but didnt anticipate that Wendy (the sister) witnessed this situation (if she even did to begin with). I say this only because I knew Wendy as a child and she was no angel, not even close. She was in constant trouble, a well known liar, and a bully. There's a possibility that her behavior was the result of years of instilled fear from her mother in regards to 'witnessing' this kidnapping.

If the mother is involved, that would explain the daughter's reluctance to runaway and seek help, knowing that her mother is the one involved with her departure. The phone call a year later could also be a ploy to keep up with the story of kidnapping and keep the mother clear. If you take Lori Hacking's husband as an example, he was involved with the search for his own wife and in the end, he was the one who killed her. He even went on national television pleading for her return. If this happened recently, what makes you think it didn't go on back then when she was kidnapped?"
Old 09-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #404
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets4life
If the mother is involved, that would explain the daughter's reluctance to runaway and seek help, knowing that her mother is the one involved with her departure. The phone call a year later could also be a ploy to keep up with the story of kidnapping and keep the mother clear. If you take Lori Hacking's husband as an example, he was involved with the search for his own wife and in the end, he was the one who killed her. He even went on national television pleading for her return. If this happened recently, what makes you think it didn't go on back then when she was kidnapped?"[/I]
If Penny was involved, it doesn't mean the call was necessarily fake. Anthonette could have believed she was kidnapped and made the call looking for help. Or she could have suspected that her mom knew something, but it either case I don't think the call was faked. I think that part is 100% real. We just don't know where she was or why she was there.

It's also possible Penny was coerced into giving up Anthonette and then didn't say anything to the police for fear of being killed or having the rest of her family harmed. That would be the first time that sort of thing happened.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #405
StackTime
The primer is grey
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
If Penny was involved, it doesn't mean the call was necessarily fake. Anthonette could have believed she was kidnapped and made the call looking for help. Or she could have suspected that her mom knew something, but it either case I don't think the call was faked. I think that part is 100% real. We just don't know where she was or why she was there.

It's also possible Penny was coerced into giving up Anthonette and then didn't say anything to the police for fear of being killed or having the rest of her family harmed. That would be the first time that sort of thing happened.
If the child has an abusive parent, I can imagine them reacting the way the child on the phone call did when caught on the phone, without rehearsal or staging. So I think it could be "fake" in the sense that it wasn't Anthoinette, but "real" in the sense that the exchange between child and adult was real (and whatever horrible aftermath there may have been).
StackTime is offline   Reply With Quote