Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-13-2019, 12:50 AM   #1
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Default Lets revisit some old unsolved cases: The Circleville Letters

Now that the old Unsolved Mysteries cases are readily viewable now, its bound to jog some old memories of cases and spark some new discussion, so I thought it might be fun to revisit some of these.

Starting with the Circleville Letters.

First off, its pretty obvious to me Paul Freshour even if he was partially responsible if not totally innocent, could not have acted alone. The letters obviously continued while he was in solitary confinement.

Having watched it again, I always remembered the part about the sighting of the yellow El Camino on Ms Gillespie's route. One of the people interviewed stated that one of the suspects in the case had a brother that owned a yellow El Camino.

This was definitely one of the most frustrating aspects of the story, because it was never specified who this man was or what his relationship was to the Gillespies or Freshour. Or why he was considered a suspect.

Like with many Unsolved Mysteries stories, it raises more questions than answers. Why was this man a suspect in the first place? Was he investigated further? What was his relationship to the Gillespies? Or Paul Freshour?

Also were any of the letter sent in envelopes or checked for DNA? I do realize that the period of time most of the letters were sent was before DNA really became an effective crime busting tool, but these letters continued well into the 90's supposedly, just before the story aired.

Did the letters continue after the broadcast? If they did, when did they stop?

I personally feel like this is just one of those unsolved cases where the police and those closest to the case have a pretty good idea who was responsible, but were never able to obtain enough evidence to make an arrest. I think the main reason Paul Freshour was arrested was because it was his gun in the booby trap, and he knew those targeted. Aside from that, there probably wasn't a lot of physical evidence available, and the statute of limitations on the letters may have even expired by the time DNA might have been lifted off the envelopes, so no one really bothered to investigate this later.

Also, there is some question if Ron Gillespie's death was murder or an accident. So that would be hard to build a case on too.

Based on these things, it appears the perp slipped through the cracks but people close to the case probably have an idea who he was and he eventually had to stop sending letters, but there may have been nothing left to build case against him on by the time everyone grew wise to him.

Just my two cents on this case, what do you all think?
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

David Longberry was the Circleville Writer. Paul Freshour's ex-wife framed Paul and then co-opted the letter writing scheme to pose as the real writer. She's the one who wrote the letter to UM, and she's the one who took Paul's gun and used it for the fake booby trap. Longberry was mad because he wanted Mary Gillespie but she rebuffed him and got with Massie instead. That's what kicked everything off.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
XCalibur
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
David Longberry was the Circleville Writer. Paul Freshour's ex-wife framed Paul and then co-opted the letter writing scheme to pose as the real writer. She's the one who wrote the letter to UM, and she's the one who took Paul's gun and used it for the fake booby trap. Longberry was mad because he wanted Mary Gillespie but she rebuffed him and got with Massie instead. That's what kicked everything off.
May I ask how you came by this info?
XCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #4
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur View Post
Itís actually pretty common knowledge to those who have done more than just cursory research on the case.

1- David Longberry was definitely the original writer.
2- Ron Gillespieís death was an accident.
3- Paul Freshour was 100% innocent and only had the finger pointed at him and was framed by his ex-wife and ex-SIL only after he divorced said wife. At no point in time before that was he ever looked at as the writer.
Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCalibur View Post
I found a long "report" that Freshour compiled (before he passed away, I think it's been scrubbed from the net) that had several pieces of information not included in the UM broadcast, and I took that and e-mailed Martin Yant (investigator featured in the segment) and asked him if he believed Freshour's information was correct and he pretty much confirmed everything without naming anyone.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:18 AM   #6
SitcomsHeydayfan

Which season & episode is this please?
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsHeydayfan View Post
Which season & episode is this please?
Season 7, episode 6.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #8
schmave
Forum Regular

Watched this with a lot of interest considering that I grew up and still live only about 30 miles from Circleville. I never for a minute thought Freshour was guilty. Never made any sense for him to be, and I always thought Sheriff Radcliffe's investigation was completely incompetent.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
nicoge21
Frequent Poster

According to a bunch of podcasts I listened to on the case there were multiple writers (2? 3?), Mr. Gillespie's death was an unrelated accident and at least one of the writers committed suicide in 1999?
nicoge21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #10
jbjr56
Frequent Poster

Paul Freshour a person I really felt sorry for. 10 years in prison AND was getting letters himself. Case is like Twin Peaks or something. Maybe Peyton Place.
jbjr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Podcasts like this one get on my nerves sometimes. I don't mind if people use this board, or websleuths, or reddit, etc. for sourcing but to distort reality altogether is something else. Towards the end of this podcast, the host says Yant told me that there were 2 letter writers (he did not, he only said that at the time they had 2 suspects for the original letters: David Longberry and William Massie's son), and that Yant concluded that David Longberry was the writer. Martin Yant never said David Longberry by name. I think he was leading me towards that direction ultimately, but he didn't actually give me his name (I found that in Freshour's massive PDF file that used to be online).
Old 05-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Jock View Post
Paul Freshour was 100% innocent and only had the finger pointed at him and was framed by his ex-wife and ex-SIL only after he divorced said wife. At no point in time before that was he ever looked at as the writer.
Was there any punishment for these ladies for framing an innocent man?
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
Was there any punishment for these ladies for framing an innocent man?
Nope because according to the courts, Freshour WAS the Circleville Writer because he was convicted. He also was paroled, not exonerated, so technically, in the eyes of the court, they already tried and convicted the CW. But no one has ever been able to come up with a satisfactory answer as to why Paul would target his ex-sister-in-law and her daughter.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Podcasts like this one get on my nerves sometimes. I don't mind if people use this board, or websleuths, or reddit, etc. for sourcing but to distort reality altogether is something else.
It seems like everybody and their brother has a podcast these days and you have to wonder how common problems like this are.

Maybe it's just my cynacism and/or old age, but I a part of me feels like we are entering an age of "crap media." Don't get me wrong, the mainstream media is certainly not infallible and makes their share of mistakes too. But, basically anyone can set up shop with a podcast, without having any training, background, or real experience at anything, and there is virtually no quality control.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256 View Post
It seems like everybody and their brother has a podcast these days and you have to wonder how common problems like this are.

Maybe it's just my cynacism and/or old age, but I a part of me feels like we are entering an age of "crap media." Don't get me wrong, the mainstream media is certainly not infallible and makes their share of mistakes too. But, basically anyone can set up shop with a podcast, without having any training, background, or real experience at anything, and there is virtually no quality control.
I know this is OT but I agree with you. I have started and stopped many podcasts because they are either really boring or it's just people regurgitating Wikipedia (or someone else's webpage). I really like good podcasts but they are hard to find. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do a good one but far too many people don't care. It's maddening that people would just blatently steal content like that, but here we are.

That's why I appreciate RobinW's "The Trail Went Cold." (And I'm not just saying that because he posts here... ) He does extra research to give facts not already known plus his educated opinion. That's what I like to hear, and not people babbling about stuff we can all read ourselves.

As for this case, it angers me that Paul Freshour was never cleared. The letters continued after he went to prison and that didn't clue the prosecutors in that he couldn't have done this?
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote