Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Default 2017 article on Shane Stewart and Sally McNelly murders

The FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit has been contacted to assist in the 1988 double homicide investigation of Shane Stewart and Sally McNelly, according to a joint news release from the Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office and San Angelo FBI.

Members of the unit recently came to San Angelo and met with the investigative team consisting of the sheriff's office, Texas Rangers and San Angelo FBI. The unit was given critical case information in which they were able to share both critical investigative analysis and possible evidentiary opportunities, the release stated.

The FBI unit aids law enforcement agencies across the country and around the world through investigative analysis, which can be used to assist investigators by offering investigative suggestions, interview strategies, search warrant assistance and expert testimony, according to the FBI.

About 29 years ago, the remains of McNelly and Stewart were recovered near the Twin Buttes Reservoir months after the couple went missing while attending a fireworks display at Lake Nasworthy on July 4, 1988.

Autopsies revealed both died of gunshot wounds.

The double homicide has been an active investigation throughout the years and has involved many local and state agencies.

Every effort to bring this case to a successful conclusion will be explored. Further developments are expected and updates will be provided, the release stated.

Anyone with any information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the sheriff's office at 325-655-8111 or San Angelo FBI at 325-942-8588.

(6/15/17)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Jon
Forum Regular

New evidence has been found. I had to read it a few times to believe it...they found items in this guy's house related to the murder 30 years later??

http://www.myfoxzone.com/mb/news/new...88-1/450722871
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
New evidence has been found. I had to read it a few times to believe it...they found items in this guy's house related to the murder 30 years later??

http://www.myfoxzone.com/mb/news/new...88-1/450722871
That's a TON of items to stupidly keep around if you're trying to get away with murder. But it's been almost 30 years and he probably thought he would.

Still an amazing development. I wonder if this is the same guy Shane's father confronted when Shane and Sally went missing. (Lifetime cut that part out but you can see it on Amazon Prime.)

Hopefully this case will finally soon be closed and the guilty parties punished.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
RobinW

Wow, they found a fingernail with those items in Gilbreath's home?! Now I'm curious to know if Sally or Shane might have been missing any of their fingernails when they were murdered.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
Jon
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Wow, they found a fingernail with those items in Gilbreath's home?! Now I'm curious to know if Sally or Shane might have been missing any of their fingernails when they were murdered.
Pretty damn incriminating.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
They can certainly test the DNA found in the lock of hair against Shane/Sally's family.

Although I agree with everyone that this looks very very bad, a part of me wonders if he's not just a true-crime nut who was obsessed with the case. I'm obviously very interested to hear what is on the "SS" tapes and what the notes say....
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
hostedbyrobertstack
Forum Regular

When I first read the article I forgot that this was about 30 years ago, so this guy was actually 17 at the time of the murder. Makes a lot more sense now...
hostedbyrobertstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #8
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostedbyrobertstack
When I first read the article I forgot that this was about 30 years ago, so this guy was actually 17 at the time of the murder. Makes a lot more sense now...
I know that crazy people come in all ages but I still get a little thrown when it's revealed that a teen(s) have committed such horrible acts. The cult members, who were kids at the time, have always been the main suspects in this case. I wonder if this guy was in the cult.

The kids who attacked Jenny Pratt. It's suspected that high school boys were the ones who hit and then did unspeakable things to Tara Calico. The guy who killed Joyce McLain ended up being just a few years older than her. The two teen boys from Texas going on the killing spree. Rick Church.

I'm sure there are plenty more that escape me at the moment. But it's kind of surreal thinking about kids being responsible for some of the most haunting cases featured on this show.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
cdr369
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
They can certainly test the DNA found in the lock of hair against Shane/Sally's family.

Although I agree with everyone that this looks very very bad, a part of me wonders if he's not just a true-crime nut who was obsessed with the case. I'm obviously very interested to hear what is on the "SS" tapes and what the notes say....
You make a good point. I was wondering if he had a friend or family member who he knew was involved in the murder, and he kept the evidence following their death. I could see a situation where you cleaned up a loved ones apartment after their death, and you find these items, but you don't want to publicly admit that the deceased was possibly a murderer.

Similar to the lost war letters the older woman inherited from her nephew. She knew that the letters were from dead soldiers, but she was just too ashamed to come forward and admit that her nephew had all of the letters and never delivered them to the rightful families.
cdr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
effluent
Occasional Poster

Article from July 3- http://www.gosanangelo.com/story/new...ase/448420001/
effluent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
Hops3098
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
a part of me wonders if he's not just a true-crime nut who was obsessed with the case.
I agree that it's a possibility, and I appreciate your cautious optimism.

However, the guy who was arrested seems to have made a career out of drug dealing and theft. I'm guessing with your background, you're as good as anyone to answer this question, but I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts--

How many career criminals are true-crime nuts? Obviously, many end up with a lot of legal knowledge from being in and out of courtrooms, defending themselves, studying in prison, etc, but rather I mean more in the sense that we board members are into true crime. Maybe I should ask the question the other way around.... How many true-crime nuts are career criminals?

My gut tells me not many, but its something I have never really considered before.
Hops3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops3098
How many career criminals are true-crime nuts? Obviously, many end up with a lot of legal knowledge from being in and out of courtrooms, defending themselves, studying in prison, etc, but rather I mean more in the sense that we board members are into true crime. Maybe I should ask the question the other way around.... How many true-crime nuts are career criminals?

My gut tells me not many, but its something I have never really considered before.
I think it kind of depends on the type of criminal. I want to say I've read that more than a handful of serial-type criminals, such as bank robbers and even murderers, have been known to save newspaper clippings related to criminal acts not their own and collect true crime books and such.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Article from the local San Angelo paper from Monday (what would've been Sally's 48th Birthday)

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/ne...day/460569002/
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
schmave
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostedbyrobertstack
That is the oldest-looking 47-year-old I've ever seen. He's apparently lived a pretty hard life.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #15
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

I wasn't aware that Shane and Sally's graves were together.

I'm wondering if Gilbreath was one of the men who allegedly were in possession of Sally's driver license not long after the murders. Looking at his mugshot, he's had a rough 47 years.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote