Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #46
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
Excellent point. But think, were any of those LE officials killed, or just scared? Think about Charles actions before his death. He was paranoid, disappeared for months at a time, and even what I believe was a suicide attempt. So maybe he was just scared too? Maybe he was so scared/paranoid that he drove himself crazy to the point of suicide?

Before his death, the mafia never came to his house, or anything (atleast not that we know of). The "throat LSD" incident was no doubt a suicide, or faked suicide attempt. Then he became overly paranoid/suspicious.

So while he, too, could've been scared, it's also possible that he became too paranoid (especially if drinking/drug taking was happening) and he took his own life. He bares all the marks of a schizophrenic. The $2 bill is the biggest give away. While he may have been scared, he was adding a whole other realm of fantasy to it.
I do think Charles was scared and drove himself off the edge of a proverbial cliff and that the "LSD on the throat" was a botched suicide attempt as well.

If we want to say that both he and the LEOs I mentioned were scared though, I would lean towards the gov't than I would the mafia in that case. Still have a hard time believing some of what Don Devereux spewed out (gov't officials, rogue CIA agents and whoever else smuggling this, that and the third out of SE Asia).
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #47
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
My main issue with the murder theory was why would the mafia kidnap him and paint his throat with LSD if they planned on murdering him 2 months later? If they feared he was working with the feds, why not just kill him then? Why threaten him? There's also no evidence (as far as I remember) that Morgan was working with the government or any law enforcement officials.
IIRC, on the Doug Johnston segment, they talk about how the Morgan episode generated over a hundred tips and led to Don Devereux learning that Morgan had kept a duplicate set of records about his company's illicit financial transactions, which he hoped would be an insurance policy on his life. If Morgan's kidnapping actually took place and those records existed, that might be the reason they decided to let him go and waited another two months before killing him. I've always assumed the "paint his throat with LSD" thing was nothing more than a psychological ploy, where Morgan's captors said this to scare him into keeping quiet and Morgan wouldn't have known they were bluffing.

I also agree that the lack of fingerprints on Morgan's gun suggests murder, though I do find it weird that this crucial piece of info wasn't mentioned on UM and can only be found in one of the newspaper articles about the case. IMO, the Doug Johnston murder has always lent credibility to the idea that Morgan was murdered. Without it, I'd be more willing to consider the idea of Morgan committing suicide and Don Devereux being a tinfoil hat-type, but I don't think there's any other logical explanation for Johnston's murder other than a contract hit gone wrong, so this story obviously ruffled SOMEONE's feathers.
RobinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #48
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
IIRC, on the Doug Johnston segment, they talk about how the Morgan episode generated over a hundred tips and led to Don Devereux learning that Morgan had kept a duplicate set of records about his company's illicit financial transactions, which he hoped would be an insurance policy on his life. If Morgan's kidnapping actually took place and those records existed, that might be the reason they decided to let him go and waited another two months before killing him. I've always assumed the "paint his throat with LSD" thing was nothing more than a psychological ploy, where Morgan's captors said this to scare him into keeping quiet and Morgan wouldn't have known they were bluffing.

I also agree that the lack of fingerprints on Morgan's gun suggests murder, though I do find it weird that this crucial piece of info wasn't mentioned on UM and can only be found in one of the newspaper articles about the case. IMO, the Doug Johnston murder has always lent credibility to the idea that Morgan was murdered. Without it, I'd be more willing to consider the idea of Morgan committing suicide and Don Devereux being a tinfoil hat-type, but I don't think there's any other logical explanation for Johnston's murder other than a contract hit gone wrong, so this story obviously ruffled SOMEONE's feathers.
EXCELLENT post, RobinW! I agree with everything you said.

With regards to the alleged LSD, Charles was naive and probably paranoid. I agree that just saying this probably had a dramatic effect. It would be like injecting someone with cherry KoolAid but telling them it was blood infected with HIV. How would you know? Plus most of what we know about that incident comes from his wife, so maybe something was lost in translation.

I think the fake FBI were mafia looking for his records. Even though he was dead, those records could be bad. It's highly likely the map on the $2 bill led to his stash of records.

As for no fingerprints on the gun, that seals it for me. How can a guy not wearing gloves shoot himself in the back of the head and not leave fingerprints? This was an execution all the way.

I say again, I think Charles was doing work for the mafia and got in way over his head. Somehow, this led to his murder.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #49
freakbook

Quote:
I keep seeing this repeated, but this could be absolute rubbish. They tried to say that it wasn't suicide because of some damn sunglasses, so I'm definitely not taking them seriously over the fingerprints on the gun.

Police ruled it a suicide, so where did this whole fingerprint thing come from anyway? Was it a pandering article, or fact? Like I always say, not all articles are true. So taking one article as fact is foolish when there's nothing else that says anything about fingerprints, AFTER the police ruled it a suicide.

Everyone keeps saying "mafia, mafia, mafia" when they're forgetting that Charles has been doing illegal operations through his company for years. If he's scared of anything it's the government. I also think Don, and UM blew his story up more than it needed to be. Strange, sure, but it was just a crooked businessman who was probably scared of going to prison (hence going away for days at a time)
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #50
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
The biggest hole in this theory is that Devereux was never harmed, or at the very least threatened since Johnston's murder. If they wanted to silence him, why continue to let him live?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #51
freakbook

Quote:
The biggest hole in this theory is that Devereux was never harmed, or at the very least threatened since Johnston's murder. If they wanted to silence him, why continue to let him live?
Yep.

Don was definitely a tin-foil hatter who wanted attention. "They were after me", but like you said, why is he still living?
Old 08-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #52
RobinW

Quote:
I keep seeing this repeated, but this could be absolute rubbish. They tried to say that it wasn't suicide because of some damn sunglasses, so I'm definitely not taking them seriously over the fingerprints on the gun.

Police ruled it a suicide, so where did this whole fingerprint thing come from anyway? Was it a pandering article, or fact? Like I always say, not all articles are true. So taking one article as fact is foolish when there's nothing else that says anything about fingerprints, AFTER the police ruled it a suicide.
The main source of the fingerprint claim seems to be this article from the Arizona Daily Star:
http://tucson.com/news/local/crime/c...2f52eda02.html

The caveat is that this article was published in 2010 and like I said, I do find it odd that this detail would not have been mentioned on UM since that would have been the strongest piece of evidence to support the murder theory. So I do concede that it could be some sort of error.

Quote:
Possibly because they felt murdering him so soon after the Johnston murder would attract too much unwanted attention, especially since Devereux lived across the street from where the crime took place. I'm sure there would have been a ton of suspicion if Devereux was killed after he was interviewed on national TV, though I will admit that the UM segment did not actually air until two years after Johnston's murder, so it's odd that no one would have made any other attempts on his life during that time.

The biggest problem is that I just can't figure out any other reason why an ordinary computer draftsman like Johnston would be shot in the back of the head, execution-style. There was no robbery and he had nothing shady in his background, so if his murder wasn't connected to Devereux, what was the motive here?
Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #53
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
The biggest problem is that I just can't figure out any other reason why an ordinary computer draftsman like Johnston would be shot in the back of the head, execution-style. There was no robbery and he had nothing shady in his background, so if his murder wasn't connected to Devereux, what was the motive here?
The article I posted back on page 2 of this thread says that Johnston just started working at the computer company 2 weeks prior to his death. Johnston left his house that night at 11 p.m., and was found dead an hour later in the company's parking lot. Surely if Devereux was the intended target, they would've known that he did not work for a computer graphics company, and would have no business being there close to midnight. The two men look absolutely nothing alike. Again, a contracted killer working in connection with the mafia/government/etc. would be sure to have a picture supplied to them to know who exactly their target was. Devereux himself says that someone waited in the company lot for Johnston to arrive.
Why were they waiting there? They had to know it wasn't Devereux's house, considering it was a large building in a business park. Devereux says that he put the Johnston case out of his mind shortly after contacting the Phoenix PD and they essentially blew him off. One year after Johnston's death, Devereux gets involved with Danny Casolaro (IMO, a guy chasing shadows to a non-story). 6 months after Casolaro's suicide, Devereux then gets a call from another "writer" who tells him that Johnston was a botched hit intended for Devereux. 1 and a half years after the fact. All because Devereux was investigating Charles Morgan's death (13 years prior to Johnston's), which was officially ruled a suicide. I just don't buy it. Devereux's association with Casolaro checkers his credentials, IMO. Casolaro chased false information and nowhere leads, and it wouldn't surprise me if Devereux did the same by trying to make a leap that a guy killed in his area was a botched hit intended for him. It's too convoluted.

I'd be much more inclined to believe that Johnston was killed by someone who worked at the computer graphics company, possibly someone who lost their job that Johnston replaced. It would make sense why he was killed in the company lot, and how someone would've known the approximate time of his arrival.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #54
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

According to Donny Boy, himself and Johnston drive the same model car and that he sometimes parked his car in that parking lot. Also, the police ruled this death a homicide straight away. Even tho there was no gun recovered at the scene. What kind of police work is that? Also, computer programmers weren't known for knocking each other off over jobs back in the 80s. Don touches on some strange stuff, but i dont like that all he has to offer in terms of evidence is unnamed sources. That dont jive with me.
LakeForestPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #55
RobinW

Quote:
The article I posted back on page 2 of this thread says that Johnston just started working at the computer company 2 weeks prior to his death. Johnston left his house that night at 11 p.m., and was found dead an hour later in the company's parking lot. Surely if Devereux was the intended target, they would've known that he did not work for a computer graphics company, and would have no business being there close to midnight. The two men look absolutely nothing alike. Again, a contracted killer working in connection with the mafia/government/etc. would be sure to have a picture supplied to them to know who exactly their target was. Devereux himself says that someone waited in the company lot for Johnston to arrive.
Why were they waiting there? They had to know it wasn't Devereux's house, considering it was a large building in a business park. Devereux says that he put the Johnston case out of his mind shortly after contacting the Phoenix PD and they essentially blew him off. One year after Johnston's death, Devereux gets involved with Danny Casolaro (IMO, a guy chasing shadows to a non-story). 6 months after Casolaro's suicide, Devereux then gets a call from another "writer" who tells him that Johnston was a botched hit intended for Devereux. 1 and a half years after the fact. All because Devereux was investigating Charles Morgan's death (13 years prior to Johnston's), which was officially ruled a suicide. I just don't buy it. Devereux's association with Casolaro checkers his credentials, IMO. Casolaro chased false information and nowhere leads, and it wouldn't surprise me if Devereux did the same by trying to make a leap that a guy killed in his area was a botched hit intended for him. It's too convoluted.

I'd be much more inclined to believe that Johnston was killed by someone who worked at the computer graphics company, possibly someone who lost their job that Johnston replaced. It would make sense why he was killed in the company lot, and how someone would've known the approximate time of his arrival.
I know Devereux said there was only a one-digit difference in the address number of his house and the computer company and that it was common for him to mistakenly receive the company's mail because of this. I guess it's possible that someone could have hired an outside contract killer with no real knowledge of Devereux, but provided them with an address and a description of Devereux and his car. If there was a miscommunication, the killer could have shown up in the computer company's parking lot and assumed Devereux wasnít there yet because they didnít see his vehicle. They waited around until Johnston's car showed up and then walked up and shot him. The scene indicated that Johnston was shot in the back of the head immediately after he parked, so even if the killer had been provided a photo of Devereux, he could have brashly walked up to Johnston in the dark and shot him without looking at his face first. Yes, this would have to be a pretty inept and sloppy contract killer, but contract killers can make stupid mistakes.

This did take place a full 13 years after Morgan's death, but it was only three months after Devereux appeared on national TV in the UM segment and started digging deeper into new leads after receiving viewer tips. I actually donít discount the idea that Johnston might have been killed by someone connected with the computer company (given that Matt Flores was murdered under similar circumstances), but it would be a hell of a coincidence that an execution-style murder of an innocent man with no discernible leads would occur directly across the street from where a reporter investigating conspiracies lived.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #56
freakbook

Plot twist: Seeing as how Johnston drove the same car, and was parked near Don, Don killed Johnston and bridged a conspiracy to himself in order to get publicity.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #57
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
I know Devereux said there was only a one-digit difference in the address number of his house and the computer company and that it was common for him to mistakenly receive the company's mail because of this. I guess it's possible that someone could have hired an outside contract killer with no real knowledge of Devereux, but provided them with an address and a description of Devereux and his car. If there was a miscommunication, the killer could have shown up in the computer company's parking lot and assumed Devereux wasnít there yet because they didnít see his vehicle. They waited around until Johnston's car showed up and then walked up and shot him. The scene indicated that Johnston was shot in the back of the head immediately after he parked, so even if the killer had been provided a photo of Devereux, he could have brashly walked up to Johnston in the dark and shot him without looking at his face first. Yes, this would have to be a pretty inept and sloppy contract killer, but contract killers can make stupid mistakes.

This did take place a full 13 years after Morgan's death, but it was only three months after Devereux appeared on national TV in the UM segment and started digging deeper into new leads after receiving viewer tips. I actually donít discount the idea that Johnston might have been killed by someone connected with the computer company (given that Matt Flores was murdered under similar circumstances), but it would be a hell of a coincidence that an execution-style murder of an innocent man with no discernible leads would occur directly across the street from where a reporter investigating conspiracies lived.
What's strange to me is that at no time during the UM segment did any member of the family or law enforcement emphatically say that it couldn't have possibly been a suicide because no gun was found at the scene. Even in the article that's not mentioned. They simply say he couldn't have killed himself because he was happy and just started his new job. Did Johnston own a gun capable of shooting .25 rounds that was never found? There has to be more information not being made public to make the police even consider the possibility of suicide.

I still have issues with a contract killer showing up late at night in a company parking lot (which could alert potential witnesses) and simply blowing away the driver of the first station wagon that showed up. The article says Johnston was sitting in his car listening to music when he was shot. And Devereux allegedly had contracts ("plural") out on his life. Only a year and a half after Johnston's murder (and coincidentally Casolaro's suicide, which Devereux believed to be murder) did he reach the conclusion that Johnston was supposed to be him. Why didn't any other hitmen show up within that time frame to off Devereux? Especially when police could not rule out suicide with Johnston. The entire theory of a botched hit hinges on an unnamed writer who had "sources" within the CIA. It just reeks of more "Octopus" BS.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #58
freakbook

Quote:
The article says Johnston was sitting in his car listening to music when he was shot. A
Is it possible that Johnston was buying/selling drugs, or something else and was killed in the process? No gun being found at the scene is bizarre. Though, someone could've been hiding out in his backseat and it was a botched robbery attempt.

I wouldn't pay much attention to Devereaux to be honest.While he seemed to be on about some stuff, he just ran with whatever seemed out there.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #59
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Is it possible that Johnston was buying/selling drugs, or something else and was killed in the process?
I guess anything is possible with regards to Johnston because so little of the segment focused on him and it was more about Devereux and his connection to investigating Charles Morgan and his association with Danny Casolaro. The segment was trying to paint this tangled web of bodies piling up around people associated with Devereux that Johnston seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #60
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Quote:
I guess anything is possible with regards to Johnston because so little of the segment focused on him and it was more about Devereux and his connection to investigating Charles Morgan and his association with Danny Casolaro. The segment was trying to paint this tangled web of bodies piling up around people associated with Devereux that Johnston seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
There was a good interview with Doug's wife that says what kind of man he was. He wanted to improve his life for his family so he went to school to be a computer programmer. He was working a blue collar job and wanted something more for his family. He had only just been hired when he was murdered.

Look at the Wheeler case. Ends up after everything it wasn't any family member at all.

Last edited by LooksLikeCRicci; 08-29-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Offensive statements
LakeForestPI is offline   Reply With Quote