Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 26, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Charles Morgan was helping the mafia do business, and he seemed incredibly naive, as did his wife. I have serious doubts that he was working for the government however he may have been contacted by them (as part of a mafia investigation) or he may have started to panic and contacted them on his own looking for a way out. The "FBI agents" were obviously fake and probably part of the mafia looking for any notes or records Charles may have had at home.

My best guess is, like Don Devereaux suggested, that Charles Morgan went to meet someone trying to buy his way out and ended up paying for his own execution. I have the feeling he was in way over his head and the mafia feared he had or would talk to the cops, so he was taken out. I don't see why he would kill himself and make it look like a murder. There really isn't much to be gained at that point.

I'm still curious what the whole $2 bill with the map on it is for. Obviously it was important to Charles. This is one of my all-time favorite UM cases!
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #32
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz
The whole case is downright bizarre no matter how one slices it- and I'm not sure how his life ended.

I'm not sure I believe everything the wife says either. However; if the authorities ALREADY believed it was a suicide, why would the wife have gone on UM to claim it was a murder by unknown folks if in fact she was the one who murdered him? Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to quietly accept the suicide ruling and not try to make any waves?
Insurance payout. However, it is possible that she knew he committed suicide, but had another motive. I don't know if she killed him for sure, but she definitely knew more than what she was telling, and her story doesn't make sense.

As crappy as it sounds, she could've figured it was suicide but kept the wheels turning for attention, and TV time. The "men in black" story is bogus, so why lie?
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #33
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller
Charles Morgan was helping the mafia do business, and he seemed incredibly naive, as did his wife. I have serious doubts that he was working for the government however he may have been contacted by them (as part of a mafia investigation) or he may have started to panic and contacted them on his own looking for a way out. The "FBI agents" were obviously fake and probably part of the mafia looking for any notes or records Charles may have had at home.

My best guess is, like Don Devereaux suggested, that Charles Morgan went to meet someone trying to buy his way out and ended up paying for his own execution. I have the feeling he was in way over his head and the mafia feared he had or would talk to the cops, so he was taken out. I don't see why he would kill himself and make it look like a murder. There really isn't much to be gained at that point.

I'm still curious what the whole $2 bill with the map on it is for. Obviously it was important to Charles. This is one of my all-time favorite UM cases!
While it's possible that he did fear the mafia, everything points to him doing it himself. Think about it, apparently the "mafia" came to his house AFTER he died, if they wanted him that badly why not before? That's incredibly sloppy for a mafia move. To ransack the house with the wife, and children there, when Charles could've helped them. I don't buy it.

Why would Charles put a $2 dollar bill in his underwear to be found, yet when to the meeting spot in a bullet proof vest? It seems like he went with caution, but still put the $2 bill there to be found. Charles actions before were sporadic, and random. He went missing for days at a time multiple times, and was acting overly paranoid.

Sure, he probably did something shady/helped with something shady and feared for his life, but if he was really being threatened then why did they NEVER attack him, his family, or his home until after he died? In which we only have the wife's account who is already suspect?

Don have seemed to have been schizophrenic. Delusions, and overly paranoid. The $2 bill seemed like something a schizophrenic came up with, as it makes absolutely no sense. Was Don afraid, mentally ill,or taking drugs? Possibly all 3. But it's no doubt in my mind that he shot himself to make it look like a murder.

If Don was running around saying he was in trouble, and had all of these cryptic maps, then isn't it possible that he staged his death to look like a murder? Maybe he wanted people to "believe" him. Maybe it was his way of getting out of trouble with the law.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #34
PracTz

freakbook,

I agree that the widow's story doesn't make sense and she could know more than she's telling.

However; if she'd actually killed him or knew he'd offed himself, what good would it have done her to go on UM to claim he was done in by unknown, murky forces when the official cause of death was suicide ? Would she have thought that being on the show itself would spur everyone to go on a wild goose chase for no reason with no one to look for? I'm not saying what you're saying is impossible but it doesn't seem likely, IMO.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:14 PM   #35
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz
freakbook,

I agree that the widow's story doesn't make sense and she could know more than she's telling.

However; if she'd actually killed him or knew he'd offed himself, what good would it have done her to go on UM to claim he was done in by unknown, murky forces when the official cause of death was suicide ? Would she have thought that being on the show itself would spur everyone to go on a wild goose chase for no reason with no one to look for? I'm not saying what you're saying is impossible but it doesn't seem likely, IMO.
Truth be told, I don't know. It's possible that she just thought he was murdered, but why the wild stories that don't make any sense? Maybe Charles had fooled her with the wild stories and she really believed that he was being stalked, and she came up with the wild stories so he wouldn't just get labeled a suicide?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #36
freakbook

I'm not sure if his wife was gullible or guilty. I believe that she knew about the illegal activities in his company, and could've possibly had her name in some of the documents.

Maybe she really did believe his wild tales, and didn't want to accept that he didn't commit suicide. Maybe she thought he was really murdered and wanted his autopsy saying as such.

Maybe she was telling wild stories, so that when the hammer came down on him and his illegal activities then she'd already have an "alibi". Men in Black, and a bizarre woman calling all AFTER his death is suspect. Maybe she ran with these wild stories, and Charles paranoia so L.E. wouldn't come down too hard on her? His company was going to get turned inside out by L.E. eventually, so maybe she was afraid since her name was on some of the illegal documents? Dunno.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:00 AM   #37
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

There is a lot that doesn't add up in the case. How the murder weapon, a pistol, had no fingerprints on it is the biggest red flag. Unless the police botched the dusting of prints on the pistol and said there weren't any prints to cover their own ass, there is no way the victim could have shot himself without leaving finger or palm prints on the gun. I don't recall them finding him wearing gloves.
LakeForestPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #38
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller
My main issue with the murder theory was why would the mafia kidnap him and paint his throat with LSD if they planned on murdering him 2 months later? If they feared he was working with the feds, why not just kill him then? Why threaten him? There's also no evidence (as far as I remember) that Morgan was working with the government or any law enforcement officials.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #39
Drakken
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
My main issue with the murder theory was why would the mafia kidnap him and paint his throat with LSD if they planned on murdering him 2 months later? If they feared he was working with the feds, why not just kill him then? Why threaten him? There's also no evidence (as far as I remember) that Morgan was working with the government or any law enforcement officials.
I have always had my doubts that it was possible to "paint someone's throat with LSD". Charles Morgan's case is the first - and only time - I have ever heard about such a claim. Was the feasibility of this even put to the test by medical examiners?

Sounds like an outrageously outlandish excuse to me. Being forced to consume LSD without knowing is one thing, but "painting a throat with LSD" seems ludicrous.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #40
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Precisely. I think if Charles was afraid of anything it was the government, not the mafia. He was doing illegal things through his company for years.

And like you said, why would the mafia taunt him instead of killing him? And why would they finally come to his house AFTER his death? It would've made more sense to come when he was alive. Also, I'm mostly positive that the "LSD" story was him trying to commit suicide and failing.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #41
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

I've watched this over and over - is really a favorite segment of mine, if only because of how far out it is. freakbook's read on it makes eminent sense too and I generally agree with it.

Two things still stick out to me though. The first is the fact that in the original segment, you have a Sheriff's investigator mention how several former LE officials/investigators have quit LE entirely (and a few leave the country because they possibly feared for their lives) due to this case. This doesn't seem to jive with the suicide angle and I can't for the life of me imagine a reason why a LE official would want to make statements that seemingly play right into the hands of the tin-foil hat types.

The second is Don Devereux. As I read & processed freakbook's theory, I was ready to write him off as a tin-foil hat type in the same vein as Danny Casolaro (who I now believe committed suicide after chasing something that turned out to be a lot less than it really was). However, that snippet from the LEO I mentioned leads me to believe that at least some of what he put forth might actually be true. The question then becomes, which pieces??
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #42
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85
Two things still stick out to me though. The first is the fact that in the original segment, you have a Sheriff's investigator mention how several former LE officials/investigators have quit LE entirely (and a few leave the country because they possibly feared for their lives) due to this case. This doesn't seem to jive with the suicide angle and I can't for the life of me imagine a reason why a LE official would want to make statements that seemingly play right into the hands of the tin-foil hat types.
Excellent point. But think, were any of those LE officials killed, or just scared? Think about Charles actions before his death. He was paranoid, disappeared for months at a time, and even what I believe was a suicide attempt. So maybe he was just scared too? Maybe he was so scared/paranoid that he drove himself crazy to the point of suicide?

Before his death, the mafia never came to his house, or anything (atleast not that we know of). The "throat LSD" incident was no doubt a suicide, or faked suicide attempt. Then he became overly paranoid/suspicious.

So while he, too, could've been scared, it's also possible that he became too paranoid (especially if drinking/drug taking was happening) and he took his own life. He bares all the marks of a schizophrenic. The $2 bill is the biggest give away. While he may have been scared, he was adding a whole other realm of fantasy to it.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #43
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

There is a lot of smoke in this case that blinds one from focusing in on the physical evidence. The gun, the location of the head wound and the illegal activity going on with his escrow business. Is it possible he could have shot himself where he did with that type of gun and not leave fingerprints? Not an easy question to answer and prove if you think yes he did.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #44
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

Wasn't the shot to the back of his head though?
Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #45
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

It was. Not an easy shot to make if youre doing it yourself with that particular hand gun. To leave no prints as well