Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Emmy Awards to Go Without Host; New Caroline in the City DVDs Arrive

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
DanCart
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
My personal take on Casolaro was that he was investigating a scandal which he thought to be much, much bigger than it really was and ultimately committed suicide over the fact that his research led him nowhere.
I disagree on this one, Danny Casolaro was uncovering more incriminating evidence which is why he was bumped off and had all his investigative files stolen (most likely destroyed). If he was going nowhere why did his files all go missing if they were useless ? Someone in the Octopus was getting uncomfortable with the idea of a journalist (Danny) digging around and hence what followed next ....

Why is it that Danny`s brother and those close to him say he was very squeamish about blood and yet he allegedly chose to slit his wrists (multiple times on both hands) out of all the ways he could commit suicide ? It doesnt add up ....

Who gave the order to embalm Danny before an autospy and without the families consent ? This was illegal in West Virginia . A lot of things like this just dont add up ....

Why did the room get quickly get cleaned up ? Usually deaths should be treated as suspicious until foul play is completely ruled out yet Danny was quickly ruled suicide the room was cleaned and signs of a struggle based on a broken fingernails on Danny`s hand were quickly ignored .....

Danny was murdered , the investigation that followed was bundled ,& incompetent then add to that the illegal embalming.....I find it hard to reconcile with all this let alone believe a person who feared blood slit his wrists and bled himself to death in a bath tub with all that blood around him ......
DanCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
Xytras
Frequent Poster

There is a lot of information, including information that Unsolved Mysteries left out, that indicates Casolaro probably committed suicide. I have posted a lot about this case in a thread dedicated to Casolaro, suffice it to say that there is very little evidence actually pointing to foul play and a lot of it pointing to suicide.

When it comes to Morgan, I never thought about it, but TheCars made a very good analysis. Until now, I guess I never questioned that validity of Charles's actions and his wife's claims. However, if they cannot be substantiated at all, we must be skeptical. I also did not realize the wound was positioned so as to make self-infliction a possibility.
Xytras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xytras
When it comes to Morgan, I never thought about it, but TheCars made a very good analysis. Until now, I guess I never questioned that validity of Charles's actions and his wife's claims. However, if they cannot be substantiated at all, we must be skeptical. I also did not realize the wound was positioned so as to make self-infliction a possibility.
With regards to Morgan, no one was ever notified of either one of his disappearances. Not doubting his wife's story of him disappearing, but we really have no way of knowing what the cause for him disappearing would be since he never really seemed to tell anybody anything.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I saw the re-enactment recently, and they depict a man approaching Morgan in the desert and then reaching into Morgan's jacket and removing a gun before ordering him to kneel down. This would seem to indicate that he was killed with his own gun (assuming the re-enactment is accurate). Just another part of the story that would add a tad more credence to the suicide theory.

ETA: In the Morgan/Doug Johnston segment, they show a brief clipping from a newspaper story about Johnston's death. I found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Republic May 17,1990

Kin angry, unsure over violent death of 'happiest man'

Doug Johnston arrived early work Monday night as usual. Sitting inside a 1977 Toyota station wagon that he had bought for $200, the 35-year-old Glendale man apparently sipped a can of Mountain Dew. He shut off the engine and the headlights. Shortly after, his life was ended, a bullet in the brain. His 10-year-old daughter's headphones, music still playing, were wrapped around his head as he slumped over the steering wheel. "It's a violent death, and we're all still very shook," said Johnston's sister, Linda Jennings, on Wednesday. The anger and uncertainty over Peter Douglas "Doug" Johnston's death have anything but subsided, especially in light of suggestions by police that the man whom friends described as "the happiest man on Earth" may have taken his own life. More than 48 hours after the discovery of the body, police detectives and family members have more theories than clues. No motive has been established. His wallet, watch, ring and other valuables were left with his body. His family says he had no enemies. No telltale clues, such as a suicide note or indication of a struggle, were found. No witnesses were available. And no weapon was found. "We're at this point investigating it as a possible homicide," said Sgt. Kevin Robinson, a Phoenix police spokesman. "Other than that, it is a continuing investigation, and we're not going to comment on it." Johnston's family, including his wife, Denise, and her parents, were anxious to speak about the shooting "There's no way in hell he could have committed suicide," said Walter Hobie Reiss, 56, Johnston's father-in-law. Besides, the family said, his life had just taken a turn for the better. Johnston graduated from ITT Technical Institute with honors and, two weeks ago, landed a computer drafting job with ICM Inc. of Phoenix, his family said. Johnston quit his previous job as a forklift operator at a food warehouse and returned to school to "get a better life for (his 10-year-old daughter) Amber and Denise," said Steve Hirsch, 35, a friend of Johnston. Denise Johnston said Doug felt that he had cheated death last year when he walked away unscathed from a truck rollover. "He had thought, 'If I could come out of this alive, then nothing can hurt me,' " she said. "I thought so, too."

Last edited by TheCars1986; 06-16-2016 at 03:03 PM.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #20
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Whoa just found out Charles Morgan was only 39! He looked more like 59

This is an interesting case. I'm surprised it has to been featured on any other crimes shlws
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #21
freakbook

Just saw this on Amazon for the first time.

This was a clear case of suicide made to look like a murder. It's also odd that he would leave a $2 bill in his underwear to be found in his death if he was wearing a bullet proof vest. He clearly went there to kill himself, and tried to disguise it as a murder.

The first time he came home and said he was fed some acid, was also a suicide attempt too I believe. I believe he tried to kill himself the first time, but failed, hence him telling his wife not to call the authorities. Why not get your family into a secret identity program if these people are after you?

I'm not sure if he was actually into something shady, or went nuts, it's hard to say. If I could be honest it seems like he wanted to commit suicide, while giving his family an insurance pay out. Hence "green eyes" making multiple phone calls to establish credence (who I believe was a prostitute he paid to call after his death, he probably told her to call specific places at specific times knowing he was going to have committed suicide by then), and the story about the "FBI men" who ransacked their house conveniently after his death, weird they never came when he was alive.

I find it odd she never called the cops when he came home the first time. I understood he said not to, but you have children to be concerned about. If you're that afraid for your life, and FBI agents are magically showing up after you died, then why would you want your family to stay there?

Edit: If you actually sit back and think about this case, his wife does seem really odd. I wouldn't be surprised if she was green eyes. We only have testimony from her and no one else. Did she murder her husband, and make everything else up? Or did she know her husband was going crazy and took advantage of it to get an insurance pay out?

Unless her husband devised everything to look "suspicious" so his family could get insurance, I find his wife extremely odd.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #22
janiesue
Frequent Poster

My question,

If he really was kidnapped and his throat really burned as bad as his wife said, would there not be some evidence in an autopsy? Like burn scar tissue?
janiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #23
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiesue
My question,

If he really was kidnapped and his throat really burned as bad as his wife said, would there not be some evidence in an autopsy? Like burn scar tissue?
I don't know about that, but LSD (if that was the hallucinogen swabbed in his throat) can cause muscle spasms and tension. The alleged kidnapping was in March 1977, so over two months had passed when Morgan was found dead and there might not have been any evidence of irritation or damage.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #24
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
I don't know about that, but LSD (if that was the hallucinogen swabbed in his throat) can cause muscle spasms and tension. The alleged kidnapping was in March 1977, so over two months had passed when Morgan was found dead and there might not have been any evidence of irritation or damage.
What I can't comprehend is why waste time burning his throat and handcuffing him, and not just kill him? He was also "kidnapped", which doesn't make sense because again, why not just kill him?

I think he was into drugs/something shady and his wife was covering for him with the phony stories.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #25
LakeForestPI
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

I just watched the Morgan episode again and the follow up on the death of Dug Johnston. I paid particular attention to the interview with Don Devereux. Devereux claims that after Johnston is murdered he spoke to a reporter friend in DC. The said reporter supposedly told Devereux that a CIA official told him that Don was the intended target. I'm not disputing that Johnston was murdered because someone thought he was Devereux. But Devereuxs claim about the reporter friend getting info from a CIA source is a little self serving. UM reported this as gospel and it's just not the case.

Secondly, how is the CIA privy to info from a domestic homicide in Arizona in the 1980s. I'd say the CIA would have had their hands full missing the collapse of the Soviet Union and all the shenanigans in Centraln America during this time frame. Unless Devereux says who his reporter friend is, his story about the CIA knowing about all of this is nonsense.
LakeForestPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #26
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Apart from the fact that the CIA's charter grants it no authority or jurisdiction in domestic matters (especially after Watergate), I find the idea that a Company man would allow him- or herself to get quoted as an unnamed agency source rather laughable.
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #27
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
Just saw this on Amazon for the first time.

This was a clear case of suicide made to look like a murder. It's also odd that he would leave a $2 bill in his underwear to be found in his death if he was wearing a bullet proof vest. He clearly went there to kill himself, and tried to disguise it as a murder.

The first time he came home and said he was fed some acid, was also a suicide attempt too I believe. I believe he tried to kill himself the first time, but failed, hence him telling his wife not to call the authorities. Why not get your family into a secret identity program if these people are after you?

I'm not sure if he was actually into something shady, or went nuts, it's hard to say. If I could be honest it seems like he wanted to commit suicide, while giving his family an insurance pay out. Hence "green eyes" making multiple phone calls to establish credence (who I believe was a prostitute he paid to call after his death, he probably told her to call specific places at specific times knowing he was going to have committed suicide by then), and the story about the "FBI men" who ransacked their house conveniently after his death, weird they never came when he was alive.

I find it odd she never called the cops when he came home the first time. I understood he said not to, but you have children to be concerned about. If you're that afraid for your life, and FBI agents are magically showing up after you died, then why would you want your family to stay there?

Edit: If you actually sit back and think about this case, his wife does seem really odd. I wouldn't be surprised if she was green eyes. We only have testimony from her and no one else. Did she murder her husband, and make everything else up? Or did she know her husband was going crazy and took advantage of it to get an insurance pay out?

Unless her husband devised everything to look "suspicious" so his family could get insurance, I find his wife extremely odd.

Wow . Interesting theory

I do think murder is possible here though since he was involved with some shady people.
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #28
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JannTosh
I do think murder is possible here though since he was involved with some shady people.
Or was he shady himself and got in too far over his head and promptly freaked out? He owned his own company so did he do something illegal and tried to "hide"? Or was he threatened and intimidated, and took his own life out of fear?

There's multiple ways to look at this one. However, the incoherent babbling, and the marked $2 bill leads me to believe that something happened that caused him to lose his mind (drugs, mental illness, fear) and he took his own life. Charles has been acting overly strange before his death, and would hide out for days at a time. Add in the bizarre death scene, and I think mentally he was damaged.

He staged his suicide to look like a murder, and added the $2 bill with the map to make it look "mob" related, like he knew something secret. I really wonder if he took drugs, or had a mental illness?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #29
freakbook

The main thing that grabs me about this case is his wife. I don't believe that the FBI came to the house AFTER he died to find something. Wouldn't it be easier to find it with him there? "Green eyes" or whatever sounds like BS too. I wonder if he told her to keep the charade up, or did she have a hand in this?

In the words of our great God Danny Wheeler

"Why is she lying? it makes me wonder. What is she hiding? it makes me wonder" - Air Wheeler 23
Old 08-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #30
PracTz

The whole case is downright bizarre no matter how one slices it- and I'm not sure how his life ended.

I'm not sure I believe everything the wife says either. However; if the authorities ALREADY believed it was a suicide, why would the wife have gone on UM to claim it was a murder by unknown folks if in fact she was the one who murdered him? Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to quietly accept the suicide ruling and not try to make any waves?
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote