Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Emmy Awards to Go Without Host; New Caroline in the City DVDs Arrive

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #136
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
No they don't mention a name. However they did say the cops knew him. Does that mean they knew his name and where he lived or just knew him as a transient from the area? I would think his name is on file somewhere since he was initially arrested for that attack described (and then later released). You would hope they did an extensive search trying to find him after she went missing. I'm surprised the other residents didn't do more. I realize there were no phones in the rooms but you hear screams and no one apparently goes outside to try and find out what is going on? Sadly I do think that she was killed that day and am really surprised her remains haven't been found by now.
Possible that the guy had a boat and dumped her in the ocean (after all, the abduction took place right near a Beach, right?) sometime later.
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #137
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMind90
Possible that the guy had a boat and dumped her in the ocean (after all, the abduction took place right near a Beach, right?) sometime later.
Hhmm, interesting that you mention that. That was Oba Chandler's MO. It's also a good theory as to why the body has never been found. We would still need to know if Oba was in or around the PCB area during this time though.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #138
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Seems to me like LE believes the same man mentioned in crystaldawn's post, the man who attacked the other woman with the hammer, is the same man responsible for the abduction of Pamela. Obviously without a body they cannot prove a murder actually happened, nor tie any suspects to the case.

Does anyone else find it odd that the Charley Project website has a "side note" involving Pamela's father's legal issues with money? They go into the whole speel about her father getting money accidentally wired to his account, to which he spent it illegally, and then goes on to say that Pamela and her husband were indicted with connections to the case. But then the very last line says, "Investigators do not believe that the financial problems were connected to Ray's disappearance." Then why even include it?!
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #139
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Then why even include it?!

Charley Project seems to do that a lot, but sometimes with even spookier details, such as "she had an abusive ex-boyfriend, but LE does not believe he was involved" It just makes the site even scarier to read. But I guess since the site is run by a single person (not really an organization) the writer finds it relevant to put personal details up or mention the circumstances that the missing person had been enduring close to the time of their disappearance.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #140
Hambone2421

Quote:
Seems to me like LE believes the same man mentioned in crystaldawn's post, the man who attacked the other woman with the hammer, is the same man responsible for the abduction of Pamela. Obviously without a body they cannot prove a murder actually happened, nor tie any suspects to the case.

Does anyone else find it odd that the Charley Project website has a "side note" involving Pamela's father's legal issues with money? They go into the whole speel about her father getting money accidentally wired to his account, to which he spent it illegally, and then goes on to say that Pamela and her husband were indicted with connections to the case. But then the very last line says, "Investigators do not believe that the financial problems were connected to Ray's disappearance." Then why even include it?!
I don't find it odd only because LE could just be saying that hoping that just in case it did lead to her disappearance, that the perpetrators may slip up or a tip may come in if someone who knows about it discovers that they are not exploring that avenue.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #141
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I don't find it odd only because LE could just be saying that hoping that just in case it did lead to her disappearance, that the perpetrators may slip up or a tip may come in if someone who knows about it discovers that they are not exploring that avenue.
I don't know it just seems that these circumstances are a bit different. It wasn't like they were involved in a money laundering scheme. Her father simply got the money by accident, and it appears like it was the bank's fault for transferring the money to his account. He just spent it. Just seems kind of odd to include that in this case. UM didn't include it, and it seems like that would add to the heir of mystery in this case if they were to include it.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #142
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

As for the money being mentioned- early on there was speculation that PJR might have dissappeared on purpose due to this, but I believe it was rather quickly ruled out. Maybe this is why it was mentioned?

As far as the kidnapper having a boat and dumping her body at sea, I'm sure it could be a possibility, but, there was no nearby access to a boat from the motel. That area is all beach front with no landing/dock for a boat. The nearest places to dock a boat are several miles away.

the boat theory does bring Oba Chandler back into play as a possible suspect. Has anyone checked into his whereabouts on this day? I do think it is a pretty far out theory though because it doesn't fit his MO close enough.
Killarney Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #143
Zero
Forum Regular

I hate to say I'm kind of surprised by the number of responses saying the same thing; "Why didn't she have a hotel arranged? A key left waiting for her doesn't sound right. Why travel during the night? Blah, blah, blah." I'm not going to give details about the case that I don't have. I can tell you what I think happened to this woman, but I'm not going to go and pretend I've got all the answers. First off, a long winded explanation of why I don't think the situation she found herself in is all that odd.

1. The "no phone" issue - I remember staying in motels in the CA desert, Vegas, and TX as a kid with my family, and a couple of times there were no phones. I think about it now and say to myself "whatever, it was the early 90's". The rooms were low budget, but not dumps. We just needed a place to sleep and shower.

As an adult in 2005, in California, my husband and I needed a room to stay in for a few nights while the house we lived in was being fumigated. We needed a ferret friendly place too (yes I owned ferrets in CA). I went to a series of "mom and pop" hotels "left over from the 50's" and one in particular was nice and clean. It wasn't a dump and the area was not seedy. It was low budget, but big deal. Cheap at only $34 and change after taxes. The owner didn't care about my ferrets either. Unfortunately, there were no amenities outside of a bed, a table with two old chairs, and a bathroom. We ended up stayed with friends instead. I can understand "no phones" in the 90's, but in 2005, that's just weird. I guess my point is, I don't find it odd that the Wilhite Motel didn't have phones in the guest rooms back in '92.

2. The "key in the mailbox" oddity - I was traveling down to T Or C and had made reservations at an inn right on the river. Very nice place, with each guest room separate from the other. I phoned and said I would be in after hours, like at 12 am. The clerk stated that our room would be left unlocked, and the keys inside on the table. I get there and the room was locked. I double checked the email confirmation, and the notes I took down when I spoke to the clerk earlier. Looked under the floor mat, and all around the room. I was outside the right door, but they obviously forgot their end of the deal. My husband and I took off and went to stay in a room at a larger hotel chain, as most of the "mom and pop" inns near the river and hot springs were all booked and closed for the night.

I don't find it odd that no key was left for Pamela. The clerk probably forgot. OR - maybe someone saw him go put something inside the mailbox, and this someone went to investigate, and took it. Seeing it was a motel key, they may have figured "Cool, free room." Or maybe it was the killer himself, who decided to wait for the arrival of the unfortunate guest. Perhaps he posed as the clerk, said "I've got the key, follow me", and he had his way with her. Fanciful, I know. But not impossible.

3. The "closed lobby" issue - You may not believe me, but I have traveled up and down California's coast, where many fancy, pricey inn's are located RIGHT in front of the beach. You know what? Several of them actually do not stay open all night. It's weird - a high priced lodging establishment not staying open 24 hours. Sure, if the only places you stay at are major hotel chains then you expect SOMEONE to be in the lobby all night long. I can assure you though, the "mom and pop" places do close up at night. The Wilhite was no exception.

I could go on about how traveling through the night, (which I have personally done due to time constraints) isn't a far fetched concept. However, I feel I've said enough. I may be the only one who doesn't find no phones, missing keys, and closed lobbies strange.

I think Pamela may have arrived at the Wilhite, saw it was closed, and then went to check other places only to find out they were also closed. She returned to the Wilhite and parked there, deciding to wait until morning when the clerk arrived to ask him what happened with her keys. Maybe she went outside the car for a smoke or a breath of fresh air. Who knows. I believe she followed the man because he convinced her he could let her into her room. He may very well have posed as the clerk. After all, how was she supposed to know, with absolute certainty, that no hotel employee was not on the premises?

If she was fed up and sleep deprived, she may not have been thinking too clearly. Don't forget a psychopath can be very convincing, and very good at taking advantage of a situation.

Poor Pamela. I hope some day her family gets the answers they need to put her to rest in some way or another.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #144
WishfulDreamer

I am pretty shocked that people think she was looking for drugs. I think she was simply trying to find a room for her children to sleep in and feel comfortable. I think she was from a small town (correct me if I'm wrong) and maybe was a more trusting person, and unfortunately that got her into trouble in the city. She probably did run into someone very cunning and was duped by them. It's sad, because she was in all likelihood taking a chance for the comfort of her two children so they wouldn't have to sleep in a car all night. It's really too bad the area had no vacancies.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #145
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I am pretty shocked that people think she was looking for drugs. I think she was simply trying to find a room for her children to sleep in and feel comfortable. I think she was from a small town (correct me if I'm wrong) and maybe was a more trusting person, and unfortunately that got her into trouble in the city. She probably did run into someone very cunning and was duped by them. It's sad, because she was in all likelihood taking a chance for the comfort of her two children so they wouldn't have to sleep in a car all night. It's really too bad the area had no vacancies.
The only person that believes she was drug shopping was cocytus. And he was adamant about it.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #146
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
I don't find it odd that no key was left for Pamela. The clerk probably forgot. OR - maybe someone saw him go put something inside the mailbox, and this someone went to investigate, and took it. Seeing it was a motel key, they may have figured "Cool, free room." Or maybe it was the killer himself, who decided to wait for the arrival of the unfortunate guest. Perhaps he posed as the clerk, said "I've got the key, follow me", and he had his way with her. Fanciful, I know. But not impossible.

Very interesting theory that the killer possibly saw the clerk put the key int he box and he went and snatched it. Could very well be.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #147
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I've always thought that the man seen chatting with Pamela was posing as a hotel employee before he abducted her. He probably coaxed her away from her car with the promise of a key to the room she had for the night.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #148
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
I've always thought that the man seen chatting with Pamela was posing as a hotel employee before he abducted her. He probably coaxed her away from her car with the promise of a key to the room she had for the night.
That's an excellent theory. The more I've thought about the theory that it's a hotel guest offering to share a room the more absurd it seems that she would fall for that. The hotel employee idea is much more plausible; the man could have been a very good, convincing con. And then she probably followed him to what she presumed would be her room, and instead he probably shoved her into his car or the trunk. If you look on the Charley Project, it says that this same man was spotted earlier in the day urinating in public, yet there is no composite. How are they so sure that it was the same man if they're not comfortable enough for a composite?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #149
Victoria81
Forum Regular

Quote:
That's an excellent theory. The more I've thought about the theory that it's a hotel guest offering to share a room the more absurd it seems that she would fall for that. The hotel employee idea is much more plausible; the man could have been a very good, convincing con. And then she probably followed him to what she presumed would be her room, and instead he probably shoved her into his car or the trunk. If you look on the Charley Project, it says that this same man was spotted earlier in the day urinating in public, yet there is no composite. How are they so sure that it was the same man if they're not comfortable enough for a composite?
So sad. I don't remember this segment. I'll have to look it up. I don't see a big deal of traveling at night. Esp. with kids! It's the best time. They sleep and you don't have to turn around every 5 minutes and say, "Don't make me stop this car" lol. Also, less traffic....the whole drug thing seems odd, but again, I didn't see the show.
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #150
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
How are they so sure that it was the same man if they're not comfortable enough for a composite?
I'm guessing based off of the same general description given by the officer who saw Pamela talking to the man, and the description the woman who survived a similiar attack in a nearby town gave of the man who attacked her. I honestly don't see any other plausible scenario that would lead Pamela to follow this man, especially leaving her children unattended. The guy had to be posing as a hotel employee, not to mention be very convincing.