Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 AM   #76
Guardian
Forum Regular

Just watched this case for the first time in a while. While I firmly believe that Curt is dead and that he died in Vietnam, I will say that there are several instances noted by the family that are interesting to say the least.

As far as the photos, I don’t get what you people are saying at all. The first picture from the magazine looks just like him to me. The second one however that was a still image from a film, that one looks nothing like him except for the vague shape of the face and the hairline.

In my opinion the biggest thing to support Curt being alive is that the US government claims he is dead. I wouldn’t believe that I was alive myself if the government told me so lol.

As to what the “mission” might be that Curt would have been recruited for, who knows? There were programs in place going back to at least the 50s and 60s where young low level GIs were recruited for intelligence programs with various assignments. So I have no problem believing that Curt might have been involved in something like this. However, I can’t buy the letting the soldiers come home but not ever being allowed to contact their family. For what purpose? The government would likely write them off or just “off” them before they would let them come back and potentially expose something they didn’t want to get out to the public.

Something strange was going on to say the least. I don’t buy the “teeth” story on its own. Even if the family agreed to give DNA for comparison, I could envision a couple of scenarios where it could match and still not mean a damn thing. Now if it is true that more remains have been found, I’d be more inclined to believe that.

The instances with the sister, I don’t know. I’d be inclined to believe she was mistaken, but I can’t see the guy making conversation the way he did if there wasn’t more to it. Of course if some stranger starts talking to me randomly in public, rather than look for some ominous code from the person, I’m more likely to be thinking “why the f*** are you talking to me? I don’t know you”, but that’s just me lol.

Anyway, it is a strange case to say the least. And IMO it has a lot more merit than some of the other POW / missing person still being alive segments profiled on the show. But again, just to clarify, Curt probably did die in Vietnam.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #77
MegtheEgg86

This is the Kenneth Engie of POW/MIA segments.

This poor man died in Vietnam and was thrown in a mass grave. The reason the family only ever received Curt's teeth is likely because they were the only remains determined with near certainty to be Borton's based on dental records.

No branch of the armed forces recruits someone months out of basic training for "special assignments", period. It's the stuff of TV and movies. Curt Borton was one of many, many young men that went through initial entry training and then straight to the jungle to backfill the position of another young man much like himself, either killed, finished with a term of service, or evacuated to the rear or out of the country for any number of reasons.

Given stories like that of COL Charles Shelton and Mark Dennis, I always thought this one seemed tenuous--at very best. I flat-out do not believe at all that story about a cousin being accosted by a man with a gun. The rest seems to be the stuff of a family badly wanting their loved one to be alive. In that respect, I certainly cannot fault them.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #78
drew790
Forum Regular

The gun story is ridiculous. If the timeline of the segment isn't fluid then this occurred in 1990 (or at least between then and 1994 when this aired) and with knowledge of modern IT monitoring systems I have a very hard time believing such a system would have existed in the infancy of computing, where you could monitor the many credit bureau services' IT systems in the event a certain SSN was searched.

Did gunmen show up to threaten all the people who may have happened to make a typo?

Why would they expunge his record at all if they gave him a new identity? Certainly we're not in a world that cares about legalities, you'd just give him a new one and leave the other one linked to the dead man.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #79
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
It's the stuff of TV and movies.
This is precisely how I feel about the segment as a whole. Some of the more ridiculous moments:

1) The sister seeing "Curt" 3 times, but somehow the license plate was traced to someone totally unconnected and the third time she refuses to see him in a public place because her daughters are there. Couldn't she have had her daughters stand back and approached him herself? And if he was on a "secret mission" why would he allow himself to be spoken to and make contact several times? The whole thing is ludicrous.

2) The guy with the gun threatening the cousin for merely searching for the SSN AND the cousin being followed daily.

3) The phone call with "Curt" in the shadows.

4) The dad being approached in the parking lot to sign papers that supposedly declared Curt dead--but how could he know for sure if he was, by his own admission, functionally illiterate?

5) Wire tapping of the family's phone lines.

I certainly can't blame Curt's family for wanting to believe he was still alive. But I'm afraid that this segment was just chasing after wild conspiracy theories. It was a complete 180 of the Charles Shelton segment.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #80
nicoge21
Frequent Poster

Why would some random dude just hold a gun to you in the middle of broad daylight in a busy section of downtown like that. I'd imagine back then the situation would have been so out of place somebody walking by would have done something. And I doubt government agents would approach you in a random parking lot. I cant find any new info in this case except some old message board from back in 2000.
nicoge21 is offline   Reply With Quote