Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #46
kane7474
Forum Regular

Just watched this last night and noticed that the man playing Tom Johnson is Steven Quadros. He was one of the announcers for Pride fighting and now works for Strikforce. How crazy
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #47
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

Tom Johnson must feel pretty stupid these days...
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #48
Apostapler
Forum Regular

Tom Johnson probably made a killing in selling that technology. I'm sure he doesn't have a lot of scruples to worry about how he made that money.
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #49
Thiussat
Forum Regular

I know this probably isn't a popular opinion here, but has anyone entertained the possibility that the boyfriend himself made this whole story up? I am not saying that's what happened or that it's the most likely scenario, but it has crossed my mind. Some of the things in the story just don't add up. It seems everything went exactly right for Johnson, when there could have been a lot of things go wrong. Plus it's convenient that the BF survived.

However, since the police claim this Johnson had made other attempts at the same scam sort of fortifies the theory that "Johnson" does exist. Plus you have the fact that the BF was injured (though the segment did not elaborate on the extent of his injuries).
Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #50
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
I know this probably isn't a popular opinion here, but has anyone entertained the possibility that the boyfriend himself made this whole story up? I am not saying that's what happened or that it's the most likely scenario, but it has crossed my mind. Some of the things in the story just don't add up. It seems everything went exactly right for Johnson, when there could have been a lot of things go wrong. Plus it's convenient that the BF survived.

However, since the police claim this Johnson had made other attempts at the same scam sort of fortifies the theory that "Johnson" does exist. Plus you have the fact that the BF was injured (though the segment did not elaborate on the extent of his injuries).
I thought that too but didnt Johnson also meet with someone else from the company before meeting the couple in the hotel? And wouldnt the hotel clerk been able to confirm that johnson had been there??
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #51
tisvulcan
First Time Poster

Default Jeremy & Heather were my friends. I know their story is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat

This is one of the most offensive posts I think I've ever read about Jeremy. I understand why, not knowing him, you might think this story is "made up". Trust me. This story is true. It really happened as horribly as has been reported.

I was blessed to have witnessed the love Jeremy and Heather shared. Heather and I worked in radio together while Jeremy and I worked at the campus t.v. station. I introduced them after Heather whispered to me that she thought Jeremy was kinda cute. As a person who saw the trauma both my friends suffered, I can tell you FOR A FACT this horrible tragedy is, sadly, very true.

Every so often I do a search on their names to see if this case has ever been solved and EVERY time I am dismayed to learn it hasn't.

Jeremy and Heather were two young people in love. I think of them often and miss them always.
tisvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #52
Drakken
Forum Regular

I also fully believe that Jeremy was innocent. There's no way someone sane would hit himself in the back of the head repeatedly with a claw hammer and sustain such injuries just to fake an attack. The injuries would be superficial or in non-lethal areas, just like in Jeffrey MacDonald's case.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #53
rts29803
Frequent Poster

did the apple quattro ever turn up? it seems a 30k desktop would be few and far between in those days.....ever any serial # turn up? repairs? could it be tracked via software updates, those kind of things
rts29803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #54
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisvulcan
This is one of the most offensive posts I think I've ever read about Jeremy. I understand why, not knowing him, you might think this story is "made up". Trust me. This story is true. It really happened as horribly as has been reported.

I was blessed to have witnessed the love Jeremy and Heather shared. Heather and I worked in radio together while Jeremy and I worked at the campus t.v. station. I introduced them after Heather whispered to me that she thought Jeremy was kinda cute. As a person who saw the trauma both my friends suffered, I can tell you FOR A FACT this horrible tragedy is, sadly, very true.

Every so often I do a search on their names to see if this case has ever been solved and EVERY time I am dismayed to learn it hasn't.

Jeremy and Heather were two young people in love. I think of them often and miss them always.
I never got the impression that Jeremy made this up. Even though his image was obscured in the interview, Jeremy's grief was palpable.

I understand why someone would need to ask this question; however, my understanding is that the police have a strong suspect in the murder and that the suspect is deceased. So I'm not sure why anyone is asking NOW if he made it up. It is so sad that justice for this horrible crime might never be done on earth.

Thanks for posting. It's so important for everyone on this message board to be in touch with the victims' loved ones. We truly care about these cases and want to see them solved.
nohwheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #55
Sketch
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egswanso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
5) The woman that may have tried to prevent the scam: The motel clerk didn't get a good enough look at her to give a composite?
6) The woman didn't touch anything in the lobby while she was reporting the "disturbance?"
It doesn't shock me that the clerk couldn't give a full composite, besides, if the composite of Tom hasn't really helped, would the woman's?
The composite of Tom coupled with a composite of the woman may have gotten the attention of someone who had seen them together. Someone who wasn't sure of the Tom one alone could have been given that extra push to call if a composite of Tom's wife, girlfriend or whoever she was was shown and the person recognized them both.
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #56
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
When he has Heather and her boyfriend wrap themselves up in the sheets, he says something to the effect of "Your company's going to get a certified check, I'm going to get my computer and that will be that." This kind of leads me to believe that he didn't plan on attacking them originally, as I don't know why he would say they were going to get a check if he planned on killing them. But then again I don't know. Did he just snap, or had he planned to kill/harm them after all?
first off the company getting a certified check in my book could be a big lie. As for "Tom's" plans, after watching the segment, i think he DID plan on killing them, in the segment, some woman complained about noise which (in the segment) police suspect that the woman was an accompliss who changed her mind after hearing "Tom's" plans, by the way i am putting Tom in quotes because i think that was a fake name.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #57
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohwheregirl
I understand why someone would need to ask this question; however, my understanding is that the police have a strong suspect in the murder and that the suspect is deceased.
This is great news! Where did you read/hear this at?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #58
LI_UM_Fan
Frequent Poster

WOW TOM JOHNSON IS PLAYED BY STEPHEN QUADROS! WOW!
LI_UM_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #59
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
This is great news! Where did you read/hear this at?
I read it on this message board. Look through earlier posts in this thread about Tom Steeples.
nohwheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #60
Tarnished Angel
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182

When he has Heather and her boyfriend wrap themselves up in the sheets, he says something to the effect of "Your company's going to get a certified check, I'm going to get my computer and that will be that." This kind of leads me to believe that he didn't plan on attacking them originally, as I don't know why he would say they were going to get a check if he planned on killing them. But then again I don't know. Did he just snap, or had he planned to kill/harm them after all?
He says "insurance check", meaning the company had the computer insured against theft and wouldn't be out $30000 grand.

As far as the computer, it was souped up and bundled with software etc. for one very specific purpose: non-linear digital video editing. Jeremy's company made music videos in Nashville, and this would have been the perfect system for such an application (it could have been used for short films or commercials, but these would have been less likely at the time).

So, the most probable market for such a computer, as far as I can tell, would be a music video production company, either an upstart or one that is looking to upgrade from a linear video editing system. At the time, music video production was mainly centralized (in the U.S.) to Nashville and L.A. (and maybe a little bit in NY). This is a very specific market, so attempting to resell the computer (in the U.S. at least) would have been difficult even if it wasn't stolen, and selling a stolen one would've most certainly raised some major red flags. If "Tom Johnson" wanted to resell the computer in the U.S., he probably would've had to put an ad out in Los Angeles, advertising that it's a very souped up version of the Quadra 950 (again, giant red flag). Either that, or attempt to sell it directly to production companies as an upgrade from their current system. I'd imagine that he would've been caught if he attempted to go through that process.

My best bet is that he knew of someone that needed such a computer (maybe through a friend), saw the ad, put two and two together, and came up with the scheme, with the idea that he would sell it to this person "under the table", without leaving much of a paper trail. The buyer (or someone close to them) would've had to have never known of the Unsolved Mysteries segment (or the press clippings). Otherwise, they would have figured out that they had bought the Quadra stolen from Jeremy, considering the very specific specs of the computer. Either that, or "Johnson" had a deal with some foreign black market, but that introduces the problem of delivering it out of the country.

Regardless, I can pretty much eliminate that "Tom" wanted the computer for personal use. The other option is that he didn't really want the computer except as a trophy, and only went through with the scheme as some sort of sick sadistic fantasy, that his "goal" was, in effect, to kill two people, rather than to get the computer. This would explain the unnecessary brutality for what should've been a fairly routine robbery. After all, as mentioned above, if the computer was insured, Jeremy probably would not have been a threat to try and prevent the robbery, especially with a man with a gun. It wasn't his property to begin with, and the company he works for would have been reimbursed anyway.
Tarnished Angel is offline   Reply With Quote