Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #31
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Just out of curiosity, did LE ever try to do DNA testing on the stamp or envelope for the letter? Seems to me, they could potentially prove or disprove Tom sending the letter, himself.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #32
lulusmith
Frequent Poster

I was thinking that about his clothes as well. I know we (my husband and I) keep rope, a knife, duct tape and random little things like that in our car just in case. Right now we also have a case of bottled water, and we both always have pocket knives on us as well. Before we got this car, my husband always had about 4 t-shirts in his car, a couple old uniform shirts and at least one baseball hat. When I lived in Chicago I always had at least one sweatshirt and a blanket, even. You just never know what the weather will be, nor what might come up that you'd need to fix in a pinch. Shoot, I even used to use old prescription bottles to hold change.

With all that in mind, it never really fazed me that he was found with the extra clothes and whatnot spread around his body. The killer could have been looking for something of value.

I tend to think that the letter is legitimate. The wording and the way the author writes about it just rings true for me.

It does bother me that his death/murder hasn't been solved, Tom seemed like such a cool, nice guy.
lulusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #33
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawN
There were some very specific things mentioned in the letter about the guy being a Vietnam vet that I think would help the police in their investigation, I wonder if they ever had a suspect.
I agree but it also makes me wonder if the police even consider this letter credible. Surely if they found it credible, they would have checked local strip clubs and found out which one Tom frequented and then checked to see if at that specific club, there were any regulars who happen to be Vietnam vets. I'm assuming some of this happened but only if the police found the letter credible.

I also still believe it to be very odd that his decomposed body was found in a field in the middle of nowhere years after his murder, yet the same clothes he had on him were scattered around in seemingly perfect condition. Does anyone else find this odd?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #34
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Maybe, maybe not. Even today, there are ****ed up people claiming that they were "in the 'Nam," so they could use it as a reason why they have issues, when in reality, they never even entered Vietnamese airspace, let alone spent time in-country. The person may not have even served. We're seeing the same thing, today, with people claiming to have been in The Sandbox, and using that to excuse things they do.
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #35
Opal
Forum Regular

No disrespect intended, but it's possible that Tom led a double life.
I mean, if he was so dedicated to his girlfriend, why is he going to strip clubs?
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #36
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal
I mean, if he was so dedicated to his girlfriend, why is he going to strip clubs?
While the former very well may be true, it's possible that Tom's girlfriend accepted his patronage of strip clubs and didn't necessarily feel as though it was adverse to their relationship. I couldn't accept that in a relationship, but I have known other women who are just fine with their husband or boyfriends going to said establishments.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #37
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal
It goes back to Roche missing his lunch date with his girlfriend; did he tend to skip plans, or was he pretty integral about keeping appointments?

I can't remember if UM mentioned if Roche's motorcycle or vehicle went missing as well, or if it was left at his house.

The information about Tom hanging out with his killer at a strip club comes from the letter. I think the letter writer's general admission is credible in that it had his earring and his license. It sounds like a partial confession where the narrator is deliberately being misleading in the details, such as where they met.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #38
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I couldn't accept that in a relationship, but I have known other women who are just fine with their husband or boyfriends going to said establishments.
Do you mind introducing me to those women?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #39
SteelersFan83
Occasional Poster

I actually just saw this one on that "unmentionable" website a couple of days ago. First of all, my heart goes out to Tom's girlfriend, I believe her name was Barbara. You could tell just by listening to her speak, that Tom was her world,and that she was absolutely crushed by his disappearence. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at the end of the segment, there was an update that stated that DNA tests confirmed that human remains that were found, were indeed those of Tom Roche.
SteelersFan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #40
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan83
I actually just saw this one on that "unmentionable" website a couple of days ago. First of all, my heart goes out to Tom's girlfriend, I believe her name was Barbara. You could tell just by listening to her speak, that Tom was her world,and that she was absolutely crushed by his disappearence. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at the end of the segment, there was an update that stated that DNA tests confirmed that human remains that were found, were indeed those of Tom Roche.
Yes, sadly those were Tom's remains. Her interview was one of the most heartbreaking ones I've ever seen on UM. It was so apparent she was so crushed, yet so stunned at the same time.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan83
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at the end of the segment, there was an update that stated that DNA tests confirmed that human remains that were found, were indeed those of Tom Roche.
Yes; Roche also died from a gunshot wound.

The link below is a 1992 L.A. Times article about the case; it has a few parts of the letter that haven't been mentioned on here:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-07-...man-disappears
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #42
MegtheEgg86

After reading the article solientgreen linked, I wish we knew what the circumstances were surrounding the "prearranged meeting" Tom and this person supposedly had. Maybe he lured Tom with something he was allegedly selling, perhaps a bike or parts.

I just don't see why, however, a would-be serial killer would choose a large man hanging out in "rougher" establishments like Tom Roche as a murder victim.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #43
Coffeeface
Coffeeface
Frequent Poster

Quote:
After reading the article solientgreen linked, I wish we knew what the circumstances were surrounding the "prearranged meeting" Tom and this person supposedly had. Maybe he lured Tom with something he was allegedly selling, perhaps a bike or parts.

I just don't see why, however, a would-be serial killer would choose a large man hanging out in "rougher" establishments like Tom Roche as a murder victim.

I agree. Tom was a big guy. I think in the UM segment it said he was 6'2 and 210 lbs. Why would you choose someone like that? Also, what was this prearranged meeting? Perhaps it was about bikes? That's how he lured Tom? The white guy seen with Tom at his apt. the day he went missing? I dunno.

"Never, never doubt what no one is sure about." -Wily Wonka
Coffeeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #44
economistman192
Frequent Poster

Default possibility?

As a practicing psychic, I did a brief reading on this case, having seen it for the first time. Again, this is my suggestion based on what I saw in the cards.

My sense is that this crime may have been committed by someone closer to Tom, like one of the members of the biker group, someone who was jealous of his relationship with Barbara. I also get that there may have been an argument with this person prior to his death, and this person had a prior grudge - maybe there was an issue of borrowed money. From what I see, I am beginning to suspect that the whole letter was a fabrication, down to the strip club, the mysterious stranger, Vietnam, Jeffrey Dahmer. The whole thing seems contrived, and in a strange way, intimate, in a way that I wouldn't imagine from sociopaths.

I think there was someone in the group that was attracted to his girlfriend, and who thought if Tom was out of the picture, the girlfriend would be attracted to him. The letter is his sick way of connecting with her, trying to forge an intimacy they couldn't have while Tom was alive. I feel the police should have looked more closely at his biker friends.

The whole thing about meeting a stranger at a strip club, then just killing them because you were in the war - if I were the police I would look at people close to Tom who were writers, because it's very contrived. Again, this is just another theory.
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #45
Hambone2421

Quote:

I agree. If it were a complete stranger or someone who targeted Tom, then why target a large biker? Makes no sense unless the rush he was getting from Vietnam was causing him to try to kill a big guy.

I wouldn't completely write off a friend or someone close to him as the murderer either.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote