Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #316
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

This case is just impossible!

Reasons why I think the Ramseys did NOT do it:

-Even if the Burke/Patsy "snapped" theory is correct, the level of staging is extreme overkill
-Even if JonBenet was accidentally knocked unconscious, who is to assume she was actually dead? If you're not a nurse or a medical professional, you don't really know if someone is actually dead; you'd generally rush an unconscious person to the hospital or call 911 ASAP
-There's no evidence Patsy was violent, and no evidence John was a pedophile in any way
-Patsy is overdramatic, sure, but I don't think she'd be familiar enough with action movies to write that ridiculous ransom note (I get vibes it was penned by a teenage boy)

Reasons why I think an intruder did NOT do it:

-No definitive physical evidence of an intruder
-Ransom note written with the Ramseys' own paper? Come on.
-As far as I know, John (despite being a very wealthy man) has not devoted any time/money/effort to finding the "real killer," nor have the police it seems...if the intruder theory is correct, you have this sadistic murderer running around who no one is trying to find and who apparently never strikes again?!
SheRaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #317
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu View Post
Being that Burke was 9 year old, I doubt the fingerprints lasted for decades. Plus, Patsy Ramsey was a woman who prided herself on her home. Do you think she'd have an unwashed bowl of pineapple on her table for weeks or months? The fact that Jonbenet had pineapple in her stomach that night seals it.
I feel I miscommunicated. My point is that it makes perfect sense for a bowl that was in Burke’s house to have Burke’s fingerprints on it. He could have been rummaging through the cupboards a day or so before the murder and that’s how his prints are on the bowl.

Though I do wonder how the pineapple fits into the proposed timeline. Did Burke have a sudden hankering for pineapple in the dead of night and decide to get some? Then JonBenet came in on him eating pineapple, grabbed some, which pissed Burke off, leading him to beat her with a flashlight?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. I’m just curious. Though based on the descriptions of Burke, I still wonder how likely someone that deeply disturbed, suffering from a seriously deficient sense of impulse control, could manage to completely stay out of trouble for over two decades afterwards. I don’t think Burke has been gotten so much as a parking ticket in all these years. I suppose there’s therapy, but given the lengths the Ramseys went to, to cover up the crime, I’m not sure if Burke would have received much by way of therapy. The Ramseys seem deep in denial, which doesn’t lend itself well to helping a disturbed child.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #318
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRaaa View Post

-Even if the Burke/Patsy "snapped" theory is correct, the level of staging is extreme overkill
-Even if JonBenet was accidentally knocked unconscious, who is to assume she was actually dead? If you're not a nurse or a medical professional, you don't really know if someone is actually dead; you'd generally rush an unconscious person to the hospital or call 911 ASAP
-There's no evidence Patsy was violent, and no evidence John was a pedophile in any way
-Patsy is overdramatic, sure, but I don't think she'd be familiar enough with action movies to write that ridiculous ransom note (I get vibes it was penned by a teenage boy)

Reasons why I think an intruder did NOT do it:

-As far as I know, John (despite being a very wealthy man) has not devoted any time/money/effort to finding the "real killer," nor have the police it seems...if the intruder theory is correct, you have this sadistic murderer running around who no one is trying to find and who apparently never strikes again?!
With no family member and no intruder you are heading into poltergeist territory, dude.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #319
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD Yellow View Post
Though I do wonder how the pineapple fits into the proposed timeline. Did Burke have a sudden hankering for pineapple in the dead of night and decide to get some? Then JonBenet came in on him eating pineapple, grabbed some, which pissed Burke off, leading him to beat her with a flashlight?
This was how the CBS documentary portrayed it, with JonBenét snatching pineapple from Burke's bowl and Burke seizing a nearby flashlight. Thing is, if the pineapple was digested for at least an hour she had to be alive in some condition during that hour.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #320
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
The pineapple is a huge piece of evidence because everyone denies serving it -- the White family (who hosted the party the Ramseys were at that night) said they didn't serve it, and John and Patsy both said they came home from the party and immediately went to bed. But the pineapple was found in the beginning of JonBenet's small intestine, and they estimated it would have taken about 2 hours to get to that point after eating it. So where the hell did the pineapple come from?

There was a bowl of pineapple and milk or cream on the counter in the Ramsey's kitchen. The bowl had Patsy and Burke's prints on it. In her interviews, Patsy said she didn't even know what it was and had definitely not served that. She even said, "I would never put a spoon that big in a bowl like that." From this, one could infer that a child did that, as they frequently use the wrong size of utensils.

On the CBS special, James Kolar surmised that Burke was downstairs eating pineapple, JonBenet stole a piece, he got mad and hit her in the head with a flashlight, and Patsy staged the murder to protect Burke. The problem with that is that the pineapple would have needed to be in her system for a lot longer to reach that point of digestion.

Some people have suggested this points to an intruder who used pineapple to lure JonBenet downstairs where she was murdered. This is utterly preposterous. Anyone with kids that age knows how hard it can be to wake a kid late at night. Even if you can wake them, they generally aren't with it and all. The idea that a stranger went into her bedroom in the middle of the night, woke her up, and then said "Hey, little girl... Want to come downstairs and have pineapple with me?" is, to quote Donnie Hansen, "ludicrous."

The pineapple presents a huge problem for the Ramsey's. Their story was always that they came home and JonBenet went straight to bed (in fact, they said she was sleeping in the car and never woke up when they got home -- John carried her to bed). Burke was up with his Dad for a little bit, but then they went to bed. All three Ramseys denied eating or serving the pineapple and they have always stuck to that story. So how the hell did the pineapple get on the counter, how did it get in JonBenet's small intestine, and are those two things related?

I can totally see Burke being up still that night and being hungry or just wanting a snack. Because of the big spoon, I can totally see him getting out the pineapple. So if that is the case, why lie about it? If we apply Occam's Razor, Burke must have gotten out the pineapple on his own and not told his parents. So when they said they had no idea how it got there, they were being honest. Burke might not remember doing it or he might have thought he would get in trouble for eating it, so he said he didn't do it and stuck to his story. If that is true, that piece of this puzzle could be just a very innocent red herring.

The biggest issue is how/when did JonBenet eat the pineapple? Where did it come from? In her book on this case, Paula Woodward claims the fruit was tested further and it was actually pineapple, cherries, grapes, and grape skins. Her book is the only place I have ever heard this claim, and it counters the official autopsy which said just pineapple.

In either case, she ate pineapple at some point within 2 hours prior to her death. There isn't a really good theory as to why. Again, applying Occam's Razor, I think she was still awake when they got home or she got out of bed and came downstairs at some point. She could have done this without her parents' knowledge, so they could be telling the truth on that too. But why did she get up and how long was she up? And why are the Ramseys so insistent that she never did get up after they came home?

Just one more baffling piece to one of the most baffling crimes ever.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #321
Latka Gravas
Frequent Poster

Quote:

-There's no evidence Patsy was violent...
To respond to each of these points:

-Again, the staging was done to divert attention/suspicion away from the family - hence the extreme nature of what was done. Also, as I mentioned in other posts - it's possible some of the trauma was done to JBR prior to her death.

-It's evident that JBR was hit hard enough to at least knock her out, and possibly kill her. If she was not breathing, I don't see the family calling the hospital to get help - because, if they did, they would have to admit to the authorities how JBR was hit - i.e., that it was one of them that did it. Again, based on everything I read about the family - they were extremely concerned with their reputation/appearances. So, even if JBR survived, the family would still be in huge trouble due to the nature of the injury; and, obviously - they would be in much more trouble if she died. Yes, it's possible that after JBR was hit, the family examined her & came to the reasonable conclusion that she was dead - so that calling the hospital wouldn't help her anyway. However, even if they weren't 100% sure - I can still see them doing what they did - to protect themselves.

-Again, even if the mother had never hit JBR in the past (either hard, or at all), that doesn't mean she was incapable of doing this in a fit of rage. Remember, it was the holidays - when people/families are even more stressed out than usual. Based on everything I read, I see the mother as being a perfectionist when it came to her family - especially re: JBR.

That being said, we don't know that the mother did it.

Re: the father, we don't know what he was/wasn't. However, just because a wealthy person presents a "facade" of being a perfect father/husband/member of the community, doesn't mean that they are. That also being said, we don't know what level of involvement the father had here.

-The film references in the ransom note were of action/thriller movies that the family would possibly/probably have seen. So, yes - these references make perfect sense.

Quote:
For all of these reasons & more, it's obvious there was no intruder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
Some people have suggested this points to an intruder who used pineapple to lure JonBenet downstairs where she was murdered. This is utterly preposterous. Anyone with kids that age knows how hard it can be to wake a kid late at night. Even if you can wake them, they generally aren't with it and all. The idea that a stranger went into her bedroom in the middle of the night, woke her up, and then said "Hey, little girl... Want to come downstairs and have pineapple with me?" is, to quote Donnie Hansen, "ludicrous."
Completely agree with this. Either JBR ate the pineapple on her own (without her parents' knowledge) - or they gave it to her, and for some reason are denying this.

Going along with this, I know that a lot of parents are extremely picky/concerned with what their kids eat, when they eat, etc. - and that can be a huge point of contention in families.

Last edited by Latka Gravas; 05-26-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Latka Gravas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #322
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
As far as I know, John (despite being a very wealthy man) has not devoted any time/money/effort to finding the "real killer," nor have the police it seems...if the intruder theory is correct, you have this sadistic murderer running around who no one is trying to find and who apparently never strikes again?!
The Ramseys did spend a ton of money on this case for lawyers, investigators, and a spokesman. However, the cynical view would say this was more of an effort to prove they didn't do it as opposed to finding the real killer. John Douglas (former FBI profiler) seems convinced the Ramseys didn't do it, but he didn't have access to all of the original police files, either. Lou Smit (former Colorado Springs PD) was hired by the family to investigate this after he worked for the Boulder County DAs office on this case. He was so convinced it was an intruder he stuck to that story even after many of his claims were proven wrong. The Ramseys and their investigators threw out a lot of suspects but never were able to identify anyone who really could have done it.

John did say some odd things like "this was an inside job" the morning this happened, and "we just want to know why this happened" on their CNN interview. Granted all people grieve differently, but I never saw him with the kind of rage you would expect from someone whose small child was brutally murdered (think John Walsh). Even Polly Klaas's father, Marc Klaas, was critical of John Ramsey for not cooperating with law enforcement more. John seemed really, really sad but never very angry about who did this to his daughter. The only real anger he showed is when he talked about the Boulder Police zeroing in on his family.

I could honestly go either way on this part of it. I can understand where a lot of the frustration comes from by the Ramsey family being hounded by the police and the media. If they didn't do it, that would be hell. But at the same time, I have a hard time with how evasive they were with LE. If they are truly innocent, then tell LE all you know so you can clear your names and help find the real killer. If my daughter were murdered, I would be hounding the cops all the time and doing whatever it took to find the killer.

They claim they were always cooperative with LE, but that is factually untrue. It took months to get a formal interview with them and they were constantly putting conditions on it, including wanting to see the evidence the police had before they would be interviewed. I'm sure a lot of this came from the Ramsey's lawyers, but at some point you'd think the parents would say, "We are innocent and we want to talk to the police no matter what it takes." I think that piece alone is what makes so many people question their involvement in this case.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 AM   #323
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori aka ChrisSCrush View Post
This was how the CBS documentary portrayed it, with JonBenét snatching pineapple from Burke's bowl and Burke seizing a nearby flashlight. Thing is, if the pineapple was digested for at least an hour she had to be alive in some condition during that hour.
I just had a thought regarding that fact. Is it possible that JonBenet snatched the pineapple, Burke got pissed and hit her, but rather than take her to a hospital and deal with all the publicity that would bring, the family instead chose to try to nurse her back to health. When she finally died, then they got to work with all the elaborate staging and everything else. If JonBenet was alive for some time afterward, my theory could explain the digested pineapple.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #324
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
I just had a thought regarding that fact. Is it possible that JonBenet snatched the pineapple, Burke got pissed and hit her, but rather than take her to a hospital and deal with all the publicity that would bring, the family instead chose to try to nurse her back to health. When she finally died, then they got to work with all the elaborate staging and everything else. If JonBenet was alive for some time afterward, my theory could explain the digested pineapple.
The problem with that theory is that the actual cause of death per the autopsy was strangulation. The blow to the head was horrible and played a role in her death, but ultimately she was strangled to death. I can see them not taking her to the hospital right away, but I can’t see her parent(s) strangling her to death because she wasn’t getting better.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #325
WoodBooger
Frequent Poster

Quote:
The biggest issue is how/when did JonBenet eat the pineapple? Where did it come from? In her book on this case, Paula Woodward claims the fruit was tested further and it was actually pineapple, cherries, grapes, and grape skins. Her book is the only place I have ever heard this claim, and it counters the official autopsy which said just pineapple.
If Paula's book is true perhaps she ate a piece of fruitcake at the Christmas party?
WoodBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #326
Babalu

Quote:
The problem with that theory is that the actual cause of death per the autopsy was strangulation. The blow to the head was horrible and played a role in her death, but ultimately she was strangled to death. I can see them not taking her to the hospital right away, but I can’t see her parent(s) strangling her to death because she wasn’t getting better.
I don't think they strangled her to death because she wasn't getting any better. I think they thought she was already dead and tied a rope around her neck to make it seem that there was a premeditated cause of death instead of an impulsive blow to the head. I don't think they had any clue that the rope killed her until the autopsy. As horrific as this was for the Ramsey's the fact that she was alive until they killed her trying to cover for Burke is beyond imaginable.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #327
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBooger View Post
If Paula's book is true perhaps she ate a piece of fruitcake at the Christmas party?
The problem with that theory is I have never seen that anywhere else. She is the only one who alleges that, and she is the only one who said it was more than just pineapple in JonBenet's intestine. She said that information was from an official test by the state of Colorado and they found "pineapple, cherry, grapes, and grape skins" but this can't be verified anywhere. JBR's family has never had a logical answer on the pineapple and they said there was no pineapple served at the party at the White's house. If that was even remotely possible, why wouldn't John and Patsy say "Oh, it was probably fruitcake at the party"? I've also never seen a fruitcake with grapes in it, for what it's worth. The official autopsy said pineapple and never mentioned anything else.

I don't put a lot of faith in Paula Woodward, either. She tries to say she is unbiased but it is clear she got close to the Ramseys and feel they had nothing to do with it. Like so many books on this case, authors tend to be pro-Ramsey guilt or pro-Ramsey innocence, so it is hard to get an accurate read. I really liked "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town" because it was written just a few years after the murder and the author wrote it about as middle of the road as you can. I'm not saying everything Paula Woodward said is a lie, but I do think she frames most of the evidence to say it was an intruder that did it. She also has some factual errors in her book which don't help. The same is true for Lou Smit, who I think really set out to solve the case but got waaaay too close to the family and in the end couldn't be objective anymore. (When he prayed with the Ramseys in front of the house, all his credibility was shot in my mind.)

The pineapple/fruit is weird because there is no logical explanation to it. It is even weirder because there was a dish of pineapple on the counter that all three of the remaining Ramseys swear they have no knowledge of. I do think it is entirely possible that there is nothing sinister about the pineapple being in her intestine. She may have just had some from the party or at home and nobody saw her do it. I absolutely do NOT believe that an intruder woke her up and used pineapple to lure her downstairs. That theory is ridiculous (especially if you have or had young kids).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalu
I don't think they strangled her to death because she wasn't getting any better. I think they thought she was already dead and tied a rope around her neck to make it seem that there was a premeditated cause of death instead of an impulsive blow to the head. I don't think they had any clue that the rope killed her until the autopsy. As horrific as this was for the Ramsey's the fact that she was alive until they killed her trying to cover for Burke is beyond imaginable.
This is certainly possible if JBR's breathing was so slow and shallow that Patsy didn't realize she was breathing and then staged the scene. Even though I can't imagine a parent doing that, it does happen. If Patsy was the perp, I can see her checking for breathing, panicking and thinking JBR was dead and then staging the crime (but actually killing her in the process). I just can't imagine John or Patsy intentionally choking the life out of that sweet, little girl. I know there are monsters in this world who hurt their own kids, however I don't think that's how this went down.

I'm still on the fence overall on this case, but the "Burke did it and Patsy covered it up" theory would explain just about everything that happened. That is basically what James Kolar laid out in his book "Foreign Faction." While I think that does fit most of the evidence, I still can't exactly figure out the sequence of events. Kolar gives you the evidence and a loose idea of what happened, but not the exact sequence of how he thinks it played out. Referencing what I said above about people who write books on this case, it is crystal clear that Kolar thinks the Ramseys staged the crime scene and Burke was the most likely killer. He did use a lot of factual evidence to back up many of his claims, yet there is still some holes in it and a lot of conjecture so take it with a grain of salt like everything else.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #328
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
You are bloody brilliant and win the internet for today.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #329
WoodBooger
Frequent Poster

Quote:

1. The level of staging is/was to protect the remaining family.

2. I think Burke hit her with the maglight after snatching the pineapple she may have been still alive for a little while before succumbing to her injury.

3. I don't think they were pedophiles either nor was Patsy violent.

4. I think Patsy and her husband watched a lot of movies together considering there were a few movie posters in the house. Patsy was over dramatic thus why the ransom letter is 3 pages long (longest ransom note ever) and with details that only John and her would have known like the amount of money that the foreign faction asked to be delivered in an attache case matching the bonus he received, also that line in the Ransom note sounds really motherly "Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank" can you really see a teenager writing that?
WoodBooger is offline   Reply With Quote