Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #76
bugnpinky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilentgreen
More strange comments about Leonard here. I wonder if Leonard's family have any knowledge about what this individual is claiming. Also some articles here.

Elk City, OK, where Leonard's parents lived, has other connections to Leonard's disappearance:

-He was last employed at a metal company there and his father was considering purchasing the company for Leonard. Did Leonard discuss this or his financial issues with the owner(s) or any of the employees?
-Elk City was one of the places the he told his son that he and the unknown individual were traveling to.
-The possible sighting of him at the restaurant in Elk City.
- The Amarillo tavern sighting was called in by someone claiming to be from Elk City as well.

Although there's no certainty that it was Dirickson in Amarillo, the bartender corroborated the caller's story to police. We don't know if the bartender actually witnessed some guy yelling that he was Leonard, or if she just corroborated that someone used the establishment's phone to call in the tip. Elk City is around 150 miles from Amarillo; it's not that uncommon for someone in that region to travel to the nearest large city to drink and socialize, but the whole event seems off.

Mobeetie, TX, the place Leonard told his son that he might be traveling to see horses, is a town with less than 200 people, 85 miles driving distance from Amarillo and around 60 from Cheyenne, OK (the town nearest to Dirickson's farm). Leonard stabled one of his 15 horses at a stud ranch there: http://newsok.com/searchers-for-ranc...rticle/2608215
Bizarre....who is Kim? What the....?
bugnpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #77
cherryblues
Frequent Poster

Can someone help with a timeline? ontarioboi posted the first zabasearch link in June 2012, but that post on zabasearch is dated November (no year), as are most of the posts made by "Kim" (one says March, no year). I'd initially assumed these posts were made in November 2012 since that is the most recent year since 2007 to have the corresponding days of the week/dates listed on the ZS posts (e.g. Friday November 30th), but if the dates on ZS aren't even reliable...

Anyway, it looks like somebody named Kim seems confident that Leonard is living in Cheney, WA and has assumed the identity of James S Williams, pretending to be the brother of Don Williams (full name listed at the peoplefinders link). Don and somebody named Carlos are possibly hiding Leonard against his will, though Kim is questioning whether he wants to leave.

Kim met Leonard somewhere and thinks he's handsome, says she loves him. She invites him to come to where she lives (implying that he knows) and he can use the phone in the rec room to call his son. She says that people who live there won't let Don and Carlos into the area where the phone is, suggesting that Leonard will be safe to make the call. It seems clear that she lives in the Cheney/Spokane area as well and has been watching these people and tracking their vehicles/license plates.

She seems to have been in touch with Leonard's son. I wonder what made her think this zabasearch site was somewhere that Leonard might look? It could obviously all be a hoax (Kim acknowledges having seen the Unsolved Mysteries episode) but I wonder if it's something that should be reported...?
cherryblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #78
Guardian
Forum Regular

WTF!? This is just weird. If this is legit, this person seems to have a lot of detailed info. I am curious with info like this, why hasn't this "Kim" contacted the police?

Also, she hints at Leonard being held by these people yet he is supposed to have Internet access and means to get to the safety of her rec room? Why the handsome remarks? They do t make sense in context of the rest of the messages.

Weird.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:07 AM   #79
Guardian
Forum Regular

One thing I noticed is that "Kim" refers to "Jared" as "Derek" in one of the notes. That tends to lean towards a mistake made by a prankster to me. Anyone with detailed facts down to license numbers on captors vehicles doesn't seem to me all that likely to mess up the kids name like that.

I suppose anything s possible but these just seem a little too weird to be real to me.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #80
MegtheEgg86

Looking back on the "Kim" messages, I'm not sure what to think about them. What does stand out for me, however, is the reference to Jared living in Leedey, OK. I came across information by happenstance about two years ago when I was researching this case that Jared had been issued a traffic ticket in Leedey just a year or so before. I wasn't specifically searching for it and had combed through at least fifteen or so search result pages or so before I even found it. Leedey is a VERY small town (the population is about 450), so I figure "Kim" is either a pretty thorough (or obsessive) researcher, or she actually does have contact with the Dirickson family in some way.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:33 AM   #81
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMfan77
Does anyone remember watching this case, probably from the 2000 season. Leonard Dirickson, who was a dairy farmer, was sitting down having breakfast with his 19 yr old son at their house, when an unknown white pick-up truck pulls up to thier house. Neither Leonard or his son recognize the truck, so Leonard goes outside to see what is going on. Leonard comes back in and tells his son that the guy in the truck is interested in seeing some horses. Leonard is never seen again by his family. A waitress at a restaurant saw Leonard with a guy having breakfast, the same day Leonard disappeared. Six months later, Leonard was seen drunk at a dance club, but the person who called in the sighting was never found. Some people speculated that Leonard left at his own free will, but his family doesn't believe that.
I think the person who saw Leonard 6 months later is either mistaking about the person or lying. Last week I saw a guy that almost exactly resembled my classmate from high school from long ago. I mean he resembled how he looks today on Facebook. I shouted hello to him at night but then was embarrassed when I found out it was not him. This was across the gas station parking lot. Kind of like the man who saw Leonard across the bar room dancing while drunk. Outside at night or in a bar room are both dark places and can be misleading when IDing someone. Some people have someone who almost exactly looks like them. And some have someone who looks just like them from across the room but when you get up close to them you know its not them!

Question - that guy knew Leonard and knew he was missing. Why the hell does he not at least walk up to him to confirm its him and say hello. Then he could ask him why he ran away. Heck if I saw someone I KNEW or heard of that was missing Id approach them and say - do you know you are missing or your son is looking for you?

Plus the so called witness abruptly ended the phone call with police. Why didn't he stay around? Seems fake and fishy to me.... like he made it up.

The only thing that supports the mysterious caller from the tavern is the waitress or bartender lady. Yet this was 6 months later and not in the same town or area. So she don't really know Leonard either. I think its just 2 witnesses who saw a man that resembled LD and it was not LD.
lettucesolve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #82
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

If Leonard did run away because of his money problems then it would be no surprise since some fathers have killed all of their kids and wife due to financial difficulties. Leonard running away would be less evil then killing his own kid and running away. Nonetheless running away without hurting his child physically is still bad cause it took a mental and emotional toll on his kid.

Now if Leonard ran away why the hell would some unknown man pull up in front of the house and his own kid. If leonard planned on moving away with some secret gay lover or just to run away from it all - there is no way he'd hire some guy to take him away. Cause the dad may not realize his son may write down the license plate or truck model and call the police.

Then the police may be able to track down the man who helped hide LD from everyone and tell the man to confess where LD is hiding. If a man wants to run away then there would be no mysterious man who pulls up at the same exact time! LD is dead I think.

Also, if LD did run away how come no one has found him alive in another part of the country or in mexico or Canada?
Old 04-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #83
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

The horses that were for sale, but not advertised: Well if someone is selling something expensive like a nice house or horse they might talk about selling it with friends and family or bar patrons before officially advertising it in a newspaper or town flyers, - like "I am thinking of selling my horse, but need to think about it for another day or so" or "I am gonna try to sell my horse starting next week when I stop by the newspaper place to place an ad"

....Maybe word got around town that this man out on highway-so-and-so out in county X has a horse for sale. Word might have gotten out and someone like the killer knows where he lives. My best friend's parents and grandparents both live 10 miles outside of town and one is on a horse ranch. I can easily get to their place since I know where they live. but if I did not know where they lived I could never find it unless given written or verbal directions. I am not good with directions, especially out in the country. However if a stranger told another local or farmer or rancher at a bar where this person lives (my friends parent's ranch) they could still find it despite it being hard to find or out on a seldom used road.

Now we all know that the man with the no fear hat never got the horse because UM did not mention this. Perhaps the killer wanted to get Leonard alone and threaten to murder him for his horse. First he had to have breakfast with him to make it seem like a legit deal. Then he could tell LD that he has the money at his house and they drive out into an old road where he kills LD just for the heck of it. Some people do this.

Or perhaps the killer wanted to get the horse for real, but at a lower price and got ticked off at LD refusal and murdered him.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #84
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Also another thing - if Leonard wanted to run away and start over as a single man with a new identity and no debt there is NO WAY in hell he would only move 2 hours away to that other town or city where the man saw him at the bar drunk! If you move away you go very far away like the other side of the country or up into Canada or Alaska (dont need passport) or down in Mexico or the Caribbean. Granted some criminals or runaways are dumb and stay in the same state or area. But otherwise most move far away.

Plus, lets say Leonard did move away to start over. Perhaps after a couple years he felt really guilty for what he had done and called or wrote his son or mom asking if he could come back. Obviously the mom and son will forgive him. This is why I support the death theory. He was killed. And if Leonard got used to being away from his mom and son for over a decade why not write a letter to his kid telling him he still loves him but cant come back. Just give your kid a hint you are at least alive.

This UM segment is similar to Dale Kerstetter. The police and co-workers think Dale helped stage this robbery because of his money problems. There are plenty of people with money problems who steal cash via wire fraud from banks or businesses who run away. (Some don't run away and get caught in their hometowns). Yet there are even more Americans who have money difficulties and they never steal. I think Dale never helped that other man steal platinum. Its just another fairy tale brought on by the police which says: if person A did that, then person B did it too!

Leonard's money problems could be cured in the long run whether it meant shutting down his farm or ranch or trying to get a bigger loan to help improve his farm or land or whatever. There is also bankruptcy where a man can start over.

in a strange way cases like these are like those murders where everyone thinks the husband killed his wife because he cheated on her. In these true scenarios yes many times the cheating spouse does eventually murder the other spouse to be rid of him/her. Yet not all the time. There are times when the husband did cheat on his wife, yet she died accidentally or was murdered by some unknown traveling serial killer.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #85
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

One person mentioned online long ago that perhaps the man who pulled up was innocent and met with Leonard, but Leonard was killed by someone they both knew of - not a friend, but an acquaintance (friend of a friend). Then the man who pulled up got scared because he felt he would be arrested for a crime he did not commit. This is why he never came back to ask about the horse again or give police help.

Just like the person on this site said - if you ran away why would you be dancing it up @ some country bar with a woman? the only thing that makes sense for the bar scene is if Leonard got into the mans truck and got kidnapped and beaten to almost death. The mystery man may have wanted to kill a stranger for a practice kill and bludgeoned him leaving him their to die. But LD never dies and survives the attack (like some victims do). Then he has head trauma and cant remember where he lives or who he is. Even if he is hours from home there should be some witness who saw him at a hospital getting surgery or at a homeless shelter or walking in a strange manner next to a road. so confusing
Old 04-11-2015, 02:09 AM   #86
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

I don't think the caller was Leonard because the lady bartender or waitress said she recognized a man calling on the payphone. And she also recognized a man dancing that looked like Leo. If the man on the phone looked like Leonard shed share that info with the police I am certain.

I also first thought perhaps there was a secret gay affair. But when the man pulled up LD asked his son first if he knew him. If the man was his secret boyfriend I doubt his dad would go as far as to ask the son if he knows the man in the truck all the while knowing its his very own boyfriend. Too bad the son doesn't come on here with more information.

And if LD was gay and placed an ad in the newspaper I doubt he would first meet this man at his house where is son lives, nor give out his home address to a complete stranger. Another person on this forum mentioned why the killer would show his face in public at the house in front of the boy and at the restaurant. I can only think that this is some traveling serial killer who stays in motels for a bit of time planning his next murder. Then kills and moves on. Since he is not from the area and will be moving again he has no fear of showing his face before the murder
Old 04-11-2015, 02:19 AM   #87
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
100% agree. This is something I always bring up when a person goes missing or is presumed missing; is their ongoing transactions with the bank and/or credit cards.

Agree as well. I think that in some cases, a few yahoo's will get word of a missing person, do research on this person including their height, weight and appearance and then call the police claiming to have seen them. It happens all too much and almost every time, when the police arrive at this place they were supposedly at, they "just missed them."

Agreed. Leonard could have been hit by a drunk driver and had his body hidden. We just don't know. However, I would not write off that guy as a suspect just yet. Leonard and his son seemed to have a close relationship. When I was growing up and living at home, I would always tell my parents when I was leaving and when they could expect me back and they did so vice versa just to keep each other in the loop. Leonard's son seemed to indicate that they did the same and he found it odd that his Dad went off with this guy and did not tell him who it was. His son seemed to genuinely love and respect his father. I've always assumed that Leonard was in with some bad people by force due to his debt and did not want his son to know about it.
Perhaps Leonard got a loan from a regular man in the farming industry, not mafia or mob boss. Some farmers or ranchers don't make much money and a few may resort to crooked loans with crooked people.

And LD got behind on payments and the man wanted his horse in exchange for the previous months he got behind on the loan. then there was an argument which led to murder.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:36 AM   #88
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

if he takes off with his son then the ex-wife could file kidnapping charges against him if he were to be found some day.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:55 AM   #89
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

I still think the waitress at the restaurant saw both of them there because its in the local area. I just watched it again on my dvd. They said he met the man for breakfast 2 hours later. I forgot about this! I thought they had breakfast like immediately after leaving the house such as 5 or 15 minutes later (and then they would go look at the horse). 2 hours later seems weird! So I guess Leonard may have shown the man his horse at another horse ranch that was not near his home. This explains the 2 hours they spent with each other.

They probably talked about the horse for a while, then drove over to the restaurant.

And since it was a LOCAL waitress at the restaurant I am sure she would not confuse Leo for some other man who looks like him. I also find it impossible that there are 2 men who look just like the killer and Leonard.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:22 AM   #90
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

good point about the police really thinking the call was legit. Remember Matt Flores case in California? The police did not want the real video tape of the suspects vehicle in the parking lot to be shown on national tv. Instead they allowed UM to use a re-enacted black and white video similar to the real one. Us fans and viewers of UM obviously want the real video so one of us can help catch the killer.

But there is a reason why police do not give all the information. Perhaps the man who called from the country bar and/or the female bartender gave important info that could not be used on tv because it would hurt the investigation even more? This would explain why we think its so odd the police think 100% he is alive and perhaps they have evidence to support it.

Is it possible the man who called police actually confronted Leonard somewhere private like in a bathroom or outside where no one was around at the moment. The confrontation may have pissed off Leonard which is why the caller took off and then Leonard took off too. Perhaps the caller called police again and police did not want to release that info.

Or did the caller only give part of the story and the waitress was the one who gave police better info in regards to Leonard