Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #46
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
In most missing persons cases, I definitely do believe family and friends when they claim that the person would never leave on their own and abandon them and never try to contact them.

However, the Alex Cooper case they did on UM definitely gave me a different perspective on things. Here was a someone who looked like a sweet old man that genuinely loved his family and no mental illness issues, but because of personal pride, made a pretty stupid and seflish mistake by disappearing and giving his family the impression he had with foul play. And this was all because he was worried about them finding out he changed his name after committing some petty theft crime 35 years beforehand where the statutes of limitations had probably expired. Before the guy was found, I'm sure almost NO ONE who originally watched this segment would have thought that he disappeared on his own.

As rare as it is, sometimes people who genuinely do love their family will abandon them for a silly reason, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Leonard Dirickson did the same thing.
that's what I think.something about his disappearance seems all too convenient.I think he had it all planned out,even not eating b-fast that day to make it seem he hadn't planned it.or maybe the guy just showed up too soon,and that's why they were seen getting bfast later.it could be he went to work as an under -the- table ranch hand or something,getting free room/board in exchange.ppl who meet with foul play just don't tend to do so in such an obvious manner,generally speaking.
I suspect not cashing his last check was also planned.and it would be interesting to know just when his cc's were maxed out,and what were the last items he bought.it could be he stocked up then with what he needed to make a run for it,hoping his son would be able to use the last check for himself. (would be interesting to know if he'd signed it).
Idk if he's still alive,tho,possibly.he may just be too embarrased by the wrong choices he made back then to return.
Idk what penalties applied back then to things like not paying child support,but that could have been another factor..if he would have lost his license/gone to jail,etc. for not being able to pay it anyway,then why not just give up the fight without 'giving in' to the ex and save face by disappearing?some ppl just don't have much in the way of emotional strength (also ref. to as emotional liability),so they just give up,yet want to save face at the same time.just a few thoughts,i'm not firm on it.
scc1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
WishfulDreamer

Besides taking the bar sighting so seriously, I also have a few nitpicks about the LE theories.

Why so shocked Leonard would go to a restaurant with the man? Maybe the man wanted to talk and they decided to eat because that's a great way to settle business deals and break the ice. LE acted as though it was crazy for him to have two breakfasts. I think if the man is responsible (which seems the most plausible out of all the theories) he would have wanted to make Leonard comfortable.

This case is really weird though. It seems premeditated, as he needed to know the complex location of his home and he knew about a horse for sale that wasn't advertised as for sale.

What could the motive have been? Not robbery. Could someone have wanted to off him for another reason not disclosed on UM?
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #48
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
What could the motive have been? Not robbery. Could someone have wanted to off him for another reason not disclosed on UM?
The only other motives I could think of off the top of my head would be revenge or a debt that Leonard owed. Anyone ever considered the possibility that a jealous lover may have killed Leonard?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #49
scc1222
Forum Regular

well,imo he wasn't very handsome,but who knows.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #50
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc1222
well,imo he wasn't very handsome,but who knows.
He very well could have been seeing someone who was married or had a boyfriend.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #51
scc1222
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
He very well could have been seeing someone who was married or had a boyfriend.
yes that kind of thing will do it.my cousin barely survived such an attack and it took him well over a yr to recover.
perhaps the guy interested in the horse was really a jealous lover?jat,i don't have any firm thoughts on this case,given the lack of info.i wish UM could have revealed more,like what his last cc purchases were,etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #52
baloony
Forum Regular

Leonard is deceased. I just don't see it being any other scenario.
baloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #53
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloony
Leonard is deceased. I just don't see it being any other scenario.
The majority of us agree that he is dead, but we still would like to know how and why. I think if they find the guy who was last seen with him this case would be solved.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #54
baloony
Forum Regular

Quote:
The majority of us agree that he is dead, but we still would like to know how and why. I think if they find the guy who was last seen with him this case would be solved.
It looks like this is another case bungled by law enforcement in Oklahoma. Just like the disappearances of Wendy Kamp, Cynthia Britto, and Lisa Kregear as well as the case involving Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible.
baloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #55
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

About the bar sighting...............look, it was probably nearly last call, but even if it wasn't how hammered was the guy in the first place? How many things sound like a good idea when you are drunk? We know that excessive alcohol impairs your judgement. The guy was probably just hammered. I don't doubt that a ton of country bar patrons would look similar to Leonard and that would only magnify with alcohol. The fact that he didn't hang around leads me to believe no one was there in the first place and this could be the killers throwing people off.

Also, I don't find the breakfast thing weird either. But here's a thought, what if it wasn't Leonard at the breakfast table? I mean, we are relying on an eyewitness - a waitress - who could have her days mixed up and would have had enough patrons to worry about at the time. It probably was them because the sketch of the suspect seemed to match the one Leonard's son gave but it is possible he was never at that restaurant.

I think he had money trouble. He isn't going to let his son know about that and he certainly isn't proud of it. So he runs in with some shady people and the rest is history
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #56
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
About the bar sighting...............look, it was probably nearly last call, but even if it wasn't how hammered was the guy in the first place? How many things sound like a good idea when you are drunk? We know that excessive alcohol impairs your judgement. The guy was probably just hammered. I don't doubt that a ton of country bar patrons would look similar to Leonard and that would only magnify with alcohol. The fact that he didn't hang around leads me to believe no one was there in the first place and this could be the killers throwing people off.
While I usually don't hold much stock in eyewitness sightings profiled on UM, the detective interviewed in the segment thought the sighting was credible. IIRC, he was pretty adamant that the sighting was reliable because he says the caller to 911 was "screaming and hollering that "It's Leonard!" so it sounds to me like this caller was extremely adamant on the phone that the man seen was Leonard. If this caller really did see Leonard then that tells me he did not meet with foul play of any kind, and simply ran off to start a new life due to finanical strain and a bitter divorce.

Quote:
Also, I don't find the breakfast thing weird either. But here's a thought, what if it wasn't Leonard at the breakfast table? I mean, we are relying on an eyewitness - a waitress - who could have her days mixed up and would have had enough patrons to worry about at the time. It probably was them because the sketch of the suspect seemed to match the one Leonard's son gave but it is possible he was never at that restaurant.
I've never thought about this, but I could see this as a possibility. If the waitress did indeed see two different men, then it would explain why neither has come forward nor has the suspect been identified. It's interesting to note that on the Charley Project website it's stated that the authorities believe the waitress misidentified Leonard. It never occurred to me until just now, but Leonard ate breakfast with his son right before this guy showed up at his ranch, so why would he go right back out and eat again? Maybe the waitress's description of the man seen eating with Leonard didn't gel with what Leonard's son had described. I can't remember if they mentioned that in the segment or not...

One final eerie part mentioned on the Charley Project website, they say that although Leonard's family believes he would have never abandoned his son, but there is little to no evidence to support any theory. Which, IMHO, strengthens the possibility that Leonard did in fact run off to start a new life.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #57
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
While I usually don't hold much stock in eyewitness sightings profiled on UM, the detective interviewed in the segment thought the sighting was credible. IIRC, he was pretty adamant that the sighting was reliable because he says the caller to 911 was "screaming and hollering that "It's Leonard!" so it sounds to me like this caller was extremely adamant on the phone that the man seen was Leonard. If this caller really did see Leonard then that tells me he did not meet with foul play of any kind, and simply ran off to start a new life due to finanical strain and a bitter divorce.
I am pretty sure you and I talked about Elizabeth Campbell's two sightings. I thought they were credible. They were very similar. She is with an Asian man who pretty much has his thumb over her. They buy gas, she never talks and both clerks describe the same mood, the same atmosphere and the same man. So I believe that. But I have trouble with believing a likely intoxicated man who never gave his name and never stuck around at a bar.

But in this case? Not so much. I'd barely be able to keep my composure if I saw Leonard knowing he is missing. I'd have called the cops, waited for them and probably in the meantime confronted Leonard. But if he books it from the bar, I still wait and give a report to the police. Why chicken out if its a reliable eye witness encounter? Also, why would Leonard be spotted so close to home? Why not go over a couple of states where no one would recognize you? Nothing makes sense. And how as he not been spotted since then either? Usually when something like this happens there is a reason, and the person is dead and always was dead.

Quote:
One final eerie part mentioned on the Charley Project website, they say that although Leonard's family believes he would have never abandoned his son, but there is little to no evidence to support any theory. Which, IMHO, strengthens the possibility that Leonard did in fact run off to start a new life.
I think there is at least SOME evidence that he would never leave his son. For instance, they worked together daily. I know there are lots of deadbeat dads out there and some don't think anything of it. But nothing points to Leonard being a deadbeat prior to this. No one ever said he was a bad father. As a father myself to a son I cannot fathom leaving him and not seeing what kind of man he ends up being or me not having anything to do with how he ends up. But I'll keep it open to the suggestion that even a son may not know who is father really is. This case just didn't strike me as an abandonement case.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #58
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
I am pretty sure you and I talked about Elizabeth Campbell's two sightings. I thought they were credible. They were very similar. She is with an Asian man who pretty much has his thumb over her. They buy gas, she never talks and both clerks describe the same mood, the same atmosphere and the same man. So I believe that. But I have trouble with believing a likely intoxicated man who never gave his name and never stuck around at a bar.
I can think of two other cases off the top of my head on UM where the eyewitnesses were known to be dead wrong even though they were adamant. One was the Kerry Lynn Nixon case where the older woman said she was positive she met her in another state (didn't happen, as her body was found not far from her home). The other case was that of Lisa Kimmel. Several people swore they saw her car with the license plate. However, now we know they were either mistaken all together or had the wrong day because her car was buried at Dale Eaton's property the whole time (as was found out later). Keep in mind one of the witnesses in her case was the wife of a Sheriff.

So, yeah, the studies that show eyewitnesses are often mistaken are accurate imo.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #59
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
But in this case? Not so much. I'd barely be able to keep my composure if I saw Leonard knowing he is missing. I'd have called the cops, waited for them and probably in the meantime confronted Leonard. But if he books it from the bar, I still wait and give a report to the police. Why chicken out if its a reliable eye witness encounter? Also, why would Leonard be spotted so close to home? Why not go over a couple of states where no one would recognize you? Nothing makes sense. And how as he not been spotted since then either? Usually when something like this happens there is a reason, and the person is dead and always was dead.
Yeah, I don't understand why the caller left before the police arrived. It very well could have been some sick prank, or the guy was just mistaken. But didn't the bartender corroborate the caller's story when the police arrived? And the sighting was in Amarillo, TX and Leonard was missing from Cheyenne, OK...I'm not sure how close in proximity that is to one another. Leonard could have easily shaved his moustache and cut his hair, and I think he would look extremely different than what people remembered him as looking. So that might be why he hasn't been spotted since. The reason I don't want to write off this sighting is because police seem to believe it was authentic, so maybe they have more information then we don't have (or what was shown on UM).

Quote:
I think there is at least SOME evidence that he would never leave his son. For instance, they worked together daily. I know there are lots of deadbeat dads out there and some don't think anything of it. But nothing points to Leonard being a deadbeat prior to this. No one ever said he was a bad father. As a father myself to a son I cannot fathom leaving him and not seeing what kind of man he ends up being or me not having anything to do with how he ends up. But I'll keep it open to the suggestion that even a son may not know who is father really is. This case just didn't strike me as an abandonement case.
There have been several recent cases (profiled on "Disappeared") were "family-men/women" just up and abandoned their family to start a new life. No one ever believed they would ever walk away from it all but that's exactly what they did. I don't think we should necessarily rule that possibility out in this case either just because Leonard was close to his son.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #60
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I don't understand why the caller left before the police arrived. It very well could have been some sick prank, or the guy was just mistaken. But didn't the bartender corroborate the caller's story when the police arrived? And the sighting was in Amarillo, TX and Leonard was missing from Cheyenne, OK...I'm not sure how close in proximity that is to one another. Leonard could have easily shaved his moustache and cut his hair, and I think he would look extremely different than what people remembered him as looking. So that might be why he hasn't been spotted since. The reason I don't want to write off this sighting is because police seem to believe it was authentic, so maybe they have more information then we don't have (or what was shown on UM).
It is a little over two hours away from each other. I don't know if I start a new life and barely get out of the same area code. I know the bartender corroborated the story but that's easy to corroborate. The bartender could have been aware by the caller that he was waiting for police to come. She could have been pointed to the man in question (Leonard). Basically all we know is that she was aware of it, not that she even knew Leonard.

Quote:
There have been several recent cases (profiled on "Disappeared") were "family-men/women" just up and abandoned their family to start a new life. No one ever believed they would ever walk away from it all but that's exactly what they did. I don't think we should necessarily rule that possibility out in this case either just because Leonard was close to his son.
The reason being that I don't think it is an abadonement issue is because we have an eyewitness account of the last person Leonard was seen with. We have his potential abductor (and the last man he was ever seen wife) drive off with him.