Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Operation Petticoat links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Operation Petticoat Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Operation Petticoat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboot of The Flintstones in the Works (Again); Amazon Orders New Comedy Series
Fri-Yay: The End of Friends on Netflix; Remembering Rip Torn of The Larry Sanders Show and Disney Channel Star Cameron Boyce
Valerie Bertinelli to Host Food Network Series; Netflix Gets Katherine Heigl for Firefly Lane

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Of the nurses, only Melinda Naud as the well-endowed Lieutenant Crandall returned from the first season

She is the only thing I remember about the show.

Probably not an accident.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
um
Forum Regular

I was no older than 10 , probably younger, when I used to watch Petticoat Junction, and most of the episodes had dialogue that I did not understand.
I liked the beginning theme song and the scenes of the old-fashioned train going through the tracks to the small town.
But I think that the only episode I ever fully understood was the one in which the dog Benji ran away because he thought no one loved him and the dog encounters a wandering hobo who gives him some awful stew to eat and tells the dog to get used to it . Then just when the hobo is about to hop a train to a different town, and tells the dog to hurry up or stay behind Benji decides that he rather be home and just goes back and Uncle Joe and the others are glad to see him and end up treating him like a baby, putting him in a crib to make him feel wanted.

BTW I think that this episode was one in which one of the major female characters had already had a baby whereas at the very earliest episodes, she was not a mother yet.

It might be a point at which the show "Jumped The Shark" before the term was ever invented.

Again, I am not too clear since I watched Petticoat Junction when I was a pre-teen. Can anyone let me know how accurate my descriptions are here?
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #18
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
I was no older than 10 , probably younger, when I used to watch Petticoat Junction, and most of the episodes had dialogue that I did not understand.
I liked the beginning theme song and the scenes of the old-fashioned train going through the tracks to the small town.
But I think that the only episode I ever fully understood was the one in which the dog Benji ran away because he thought no one loved him and the dog encounters a wandering hobo who gives him some awful stew to eat and tells the dog to get used to it . Then just when the hobo is about to hop a train to a different town, and tells the dog to hurry up or stay behind Benji decides that he rather be home and just goes back and Uncle Joe and the others are glad to see him and end up treating him like a baby, putting him in a crib to make him feel wanted.

BTW I think that this episode was one in which one of the major female characters had already had a baby whereas at the very earliest episodes, she was not a mother yet.

It might be a point at which the show "Jumped The Shark" before the term was ever invented.

Again, I am not too clear since I watched Petticoat Junction when I was a pre-teen. Can anyone let me know how accurate my descriptions are here?
Wrong board for this post.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #19
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
Wrong board for this post.
To tell you the truth I don't know how my post got here. I thought I was posting on the Petticoat Junction thread.

I will have to move it.
um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:16 AM   #20
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

that's ok; we forgive you. LOL

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #21
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
that's ok; we forgive you. LOL
DJM77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #22
Screwy Wabbit
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellayn O'Kosh View Post
Perhaps the primary cause of the series Operation Petticoat's running out of gas, is that once the movie is run, the story is told. This does not mean that a sequel or a prequel cannot be made, and good ones.
No, the primary cause was that it was bad. How it lasted even as long as it did is a mystery to me. There were some episodes on YouTube some time back. When I watched one, I didn't see or hear anything even vaguely funny. In terms of other sitcoms of the era, it made The Ropers look like a masterpiece.

Edited to add: I actually watched this during its network run and it wasn't funny then, either. The movie was a lot funnier, and that was supposed to be mainly drama rather than comedy.

Quote:
I have wracked my brain (say very little) trying to recall a series that survived from a movie: Other than M*A*S*H.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Alice
Courtship of Eddie's Father
Highlander

Last edited by Screwy Wabbit; 05-05-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Screwy Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 AM   #23
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77 View Post
The Odd Couple
true but that was never a big hit; in fact it was nearly cancelled at the end of each of its 5 seasons.
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
Ellayn O'Kosh
Frequent Poster

Exclamation Series: Operation Petticoat, v. 1959 movie

I never had a chance to watch the series. Apparently, I did not miss much. Pulled the cable a decade ago and do not have the tolerance for the big computer rat (msft).
Ellayn O'Kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #25
Screwy Wabbit
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky View Post
true but that was never a big hit; in fact it was nearly cancelled at the end of each of its 5 seasons.
None of the ABC Friday night lineup at the time were big hits. Regardless, they all had five-season runs, even though some of them were shuffled off to other nights toward the end. Ironically, your statement could apply to the very show you take your user name from.
Screwy Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote