Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #91
Jon
Forum Regular

Netflix statement:
"This modern take on the classic series will maintain the chilling feeling viewers loved about the original, while also telling the stories through the lens of a premium Netflix documentary series. Each episode will focus on one mystery and once again will look to viewers to help aid investigators in closing the book on long outstanding cases.”

I can't ask for more than that

Source: https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/354...ling-original/

Edit: my bad...bip05 already shared that link
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #92
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
Thank you. Netflix has over 148 million subscribers worldwide, 60 million of whom are in the United States. Their reach is quite substantial.
You can't buy a TV pretty much these days without Netflix installed on it as an app, same for any kind of disk player or smart tv stick.

If they could solve crimes from niche network Lifetime, where people had to buy postage and mail in tips, Netflix and twitter are going to be a breeze.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #93
Guardian
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Assuming they use an on-air host.. Whoever it is needs to have a distinguishable voice. And a lack of a regional accent. No Boston/New York.. No THICK southern drawl.. Some off the wall names.. James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman, though they're probably too expensive.. And if it's just off-screen voice work.. Peter Cullen. He certainly has the 80's nostalgia..
Peter Cullen! Haha Optimus Prime hosting UM! I love it!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #94
Guardian
Forum Regular

As far as the streaming or cable debate, as well as a thought on the 1 case per episode, it really comes down to a few things

-Like it or not, streaming is the future. Even the cable companies are seeing this with allowing Netflix, YouTube, and other similar apps onto their service through a cable box. So while there are a lot of hold outs for the broadcast market, it is going away. That’s just a fact.

-Money. Cable is expensive. Broadcast tv is expensive to produce. This is why more and more the higher quality shows with better production values are being produced for streaming.

As far as the 1 case per episode, it goes back to:

-Money. By limiting each episode to 1 case, Netflix can produce each episode at a higher quality by focusing each episodes budget on a single case. If they divided it up into 4 or 5 segments for an hour long episode, that requires 4 to 5 individual segments that have to be produced. Not sure how many folks on here are familiar with how productions like this really work (I do short film and video production), but even with shorter segments, the cost of travel, actors, crew, etc would be higher per episode.

So 1 case per show is really a responsible budgeting stance. And I think we’ll get a better production value because of it. Netflix knows that with their proven “binge watching” viewers, that the feeling of the original shows will still be there as people will watch multiple cases in 1 sitting. Many smart TVs even have the option of skipping the intro of each episode when binge watching. So fire it up, watch the intro for the 1st episode, then binge watch four 30 minute episodes (skipping the subsequent intros) and you basically get a long Unsolved Mysteries episode. It makes perfect sense.
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 AM   #95
DP1
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
Thank you. Netflix has over 148 million subscribers worldwide, 60 million of whom are in the United States. Their reach is quite substantial.
Agreed. Netflix will give Unsolved Mysteries massive exposure and buzz. That is good not only for the show but for the cases that they are presenting. It's the best possible chances for some of those cases to be solved.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #96
drew790
Forum Regular

Just look at how many people are watching a show about cleaning your house ...
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #97
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
Peter Cullen! Haha Optimus Prime hosting UM! I love it!
Thanks for catching it.. But, I'm serious about it. Think about how distinguished and recognizable a voice Peter Cullen has. OP obviously wasn't his own voice, but if you hear him speak, his natural voice is quite good.

Now, he has something of a face for radio... So.. That's why I said if it were VO only.
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #98
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian
So 1 case per show is really a responsible budgeting stance. And I think we’ll get a better production value because of it. Netflix knows that with their proven “binge watching” viewers, that the feeling of the original shows will still be there as people will watch multiple cases in 1 sitting. Many smart TVs even have the option of skipping the intro of each episode when binge watching. So fire it up, watch the intro for the 1st episode, then binge watch four 30 minute episodes (skipping the subsequent intros) and you basically get a long Unsolved Mysteries episode. It makes perfect sense.
I guess this ultimately comes down to the actual cases they pick. Watching 20-30 minutes on a story like Tommy Ziegler would be cool. Watching 20-30 minutes on Resurrection Mary, the Fertility Statues, the Magic Rock, et. al. will turn many viewers off. You could lump most Lost Loves stories in the latter category as well.

If the cases are cool and well done, then I think it will be okay. Yes, many people like binge watching Netflix so it will have more of the feel of the original broadcast. I always liked having 3-4 cases per night but that was in the day when you had to wait a week for each new episode.

I am optimistic that this will be well done and fun. I just really don't want a repeat of the Farina disaster. Hopefully CM has learned their lesson from that.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #99
RevengeTypeBurn
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
I guess this ultimately comes down to the actual cases they pick. Watching 20-30 minutes on a story like Tommy Ziegler would be cool. Watching 20-30 minutes on Resurrection Mary, the Fertility Statues, the Magic Rock, et. al. will turn many viewers off. You could lump most Lost Loves stories in the latter category as well.
I would have to think we won't get the worst of the Lost Loves. Just like how the 3-4 segments, "special alerts", the telecenter, etc were a product of the media culture of their time, I think those were too.
RevengeTypeBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #100
isotope
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevengeTypeBurn View Post
I would have to think we won't get the worst of the Lost Loves. Just like how the 3-4 segments, "special alerts", the telecenter, etc were a product of the media culture of their time, I think those were too.
I just don't see how a "Lost Loves" segment is really credible or compelling in the age of social media. I never really liked these segments, although I can see why UM had them (appeals to a wider demographic, offered a respite from all the stories of murders and abductions, and more often than not, had a happy ending) - but its very difficult to believe that its completely impossible to track someone down these days - unless they actively don't want to be found.
isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #101
cordwainer1453
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
As the old saying goes, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
That is by the way, NOT the definition of insanity. Just some junk that get repeated in the internet. Einstein never said it either.
cordwainer1453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 PM   #102
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453 View Post
That is by the way, NOT the definition of insanity. Just some junk that get repeated in the internet. Einstein never said it either.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #103
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordwainer1453 View Post
That's funny. I didn't even mention Einstein. Even if he never said it, that doesn't mean variations of the alleged quote were never uttered. In fact, a pamphlet that was published by Narcotics Anonymous in 1981 includes the following words: "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results."
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #104
tarheelslim
Forum Regular

One of the earliest stories on the reboot mentioned the types of segments that will be included in the new show and Lost Loves was in there.

I haven't been able to figure out if that list was just copied from the original series by the writer of the article or if it came from Netflix/Cosgrove.
tarheelslim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #105
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelslim View Post
One of the earliest stories on the reboot mentioned the types of segments that will be included in the new show and Lost Loves was in there.

I haven't been able to figure out if that list was just copied from the original series by the writer of the article or if it came from Netflix/Cosgrove.
Some of the "Lost Loves" were cool, like the kid who met the soldiers during WW II. But I agree with previous posters that most of the standard Lost Loves (looking for adoptive parents, siblings, etc.) is almost moot in the internet age. They certainly are a lot less compelling and I doubt they could fill 20-30 minutes worth of story (absent extraordinary circumstances).