Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All in the Family (Sitcoms Online) / All in the Family links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / All in the Family Photo Gallery

All in the Family - The Complete First Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete First Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Second Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Second Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Third Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Third Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Ninth Season on DVD
All in the Family - The Complete Series

Buy All in the Family - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > All in the Family

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Renews Freshman Fall 2019 Class; Fox Schedules 9-1-1 Spin-off for Midseason 2020
Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-12-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Did All in the Family become too cliched after Mike and Gloria left

For instance, there was an episode where Jean Stapleton portrayed a German lady (with a ridiculously exaggerated accent) all with a stupid double shot from the back when she appeared as Edith in the same scene. Of course, there was a big split-screen scene when Edith and this other character-named "Judith" appeared face-to-face including audience applause at the magic and wonder of it all.

TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #2
Retro Vic
>-|-< \ /ANTENNA TV\ / >-|-<
Frequent Poster

This was actually a good episode, along with the 1st Mr. Klemmer episode. Very funny, Stephanie is cute, I think they were letting Jean Stapleton expand her range for once outside the Edith character, & she does a good job as Mr. Klemmer’s “Liebchen” Judith.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:10 AM   #3
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Vic View Post
This was actually a good episode, along with the 1st Mr. Klemmer episode. Very funny, Stephanie is cute, I think they were letting Jean Stapleton expand her range for once outside the Edith character, & she does a good job as Mr. Klemmer’s “Liebchen” Judith.
I agree! I thought both eps. with Mr. Klemmer were really funny! And I like Stephanie. I thought the show still had many good eps. after Gloria and Mike left!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Retro Vic
Frequent Poster

I liked it when Judith snaps at Archie—“Klammerstadt!”
Retro Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
cfr1970
Forum Regular

I don't think it became cliched as much as the focus of the show simply shifted. There are some really funny episodes in that 9th season. I don't know if many would agree with me, but I love the cabin episode with Barney and Blanche. Also, when the Bunkers visited Mike & Gloria in California is a favorite of mine too with lots of laughs in both episodes.

Then there's the dramatic eps like when the waitress Archie kissed a couple seasons back is hired at the bar and Edith confronts her, and another one when Edith goes to Aunt Iola's funeral and she sadly finds that she's the only one there. I love both those episodes for it's drama.

And Stephanie was a good addition to show us how Archie finally began to soften and evolve. The episode where it's revealed that Stephanie is Jewish is one of my favorites just for that final scene where he gives her the star necklace and says "You gotta love somebody to give em one of them. I mean, you gotta love everything about them." I don't think season 1 Archie would have done that.

And one of my favorite laugh out loud moments of that season is when Stephanie had her appendectomy and Archie calls her "Wanda Wee Wee" doll "Peggy Poo Poo". I love the twisting of words he does throughout the series, but the way he says this always makes me LOL.

I wouldn't rank season 9 at the top of my list, but wouldn't place it at the bottom either. It's not cliched imo, just a different tone from previous seasons.

And I like the return of Mr. Klemmer and Jean Stapleton playing the role of the wife. This was the season when they stopped filming in front of an audience, so it was probably much easier to do than with one.
cfr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
TV Guy

I like season 9. I like seeing the softer relationship between Archie and Edith. Archie and Blanche are funny adversaries. The episodes with Sidney Shapiro are good, too. And the episode with Klemmer the butcher makes me laugh (“Miss Clammachowder - LOL). The appendectomy episode is a highlight.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
Retro Vic
Frequent Poster

I am also a fan of Season 9! There are some very funny episodes in season 9 as mentioned above. The New Hampshire cabin episode is one of my all time favorites from AITF. This type of Blanche & Barney interplay was phenomenal, they should have run with this into ABP. I also loved the episode where Edith goes to the “First Friendly Bank” to try and get a loan to buy Archie a brand new color TV set, hilarious banter between Edith & Archie. Edith (to Archie): “& you’ve got a MEAN look on your face, like that man from the First Friendly Bank!” LOL! Edith goes into a wild rage. Also the episode where Stephy starts stealing things, & when Stephy runs away to the bus station, also great episode when Stephy & Edith sing “Glow Worm” & “Sister Kate” adorable. Season 9 gets thumbs up.
Retro Vic is offline   Reply With Quote