Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #46
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I think Jesslyn Rich's disappearance and murder had nothing to do with Frontera, and that Terri Lucas's claims could not be verified and that she more likely than not died of a medical condition and was not murdered. I don't doubt the corruption that went on at the prison, but I don't think it had anything to do with either of their deaths.
Fair enough. Do you think that Terri's body sat in her cell for days, as it was reported? I'm just curious. If her death wasn't related to Rich's disappearance, I'd wonder why she was just left there...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #47
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Fair enough. Do you think that Terri's body sat in her cell for days, as it was reported? I'm just curious. If her death wasn't related to Rich's disappearance, I'd wonder why she was just left there...
If that commenter on UM's website has accurate information, the FBI investigation Betty Thompson's claims and found them without merit because she could not recall the names of the supervisors she reported the corruption/abuse to, and because she had only be assigned to work in the infirmary for one day so she would have no way of knowing how long Terri Lucas's body was in the cell.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #48
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
If that commenter on UM's website has accurate information, the FBI investigation Betty Thompson's claims and found them without merit because she could not recall the names of the supervisors she reported the corruption/abuse to, and because she had only be assigned to work in the infirmary for one day so she would have no way of knowing how long Terri Lucas's body was in the cell.
Thanks for shining some more light on that point. This was the one thing that always had me running around in circles*. I'm starting to think more and more that Betty Thompson, if she didn't lie outright, then embellished things to a good degree.

-Not only would she have no clue as to how long Lucas' body would've been in the cell, the whole bit about Lucas mentioning "I can tell you what happened to Jesslyn Rich" could also be thrown into question*

-For something that was as serious as Thompson claimed, I would think she'd remember the names of who she talked to (and would even document it too just to be safe). The fact she didn't, while still plausible, is a big red flag IMO.
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #49
James T

Not really buying Thompson's story-a dead body sits in a cell for three days & she did nothing after the promise by the nurses to take care of it didn't happen? Wouldn't she report it to the governor? Are we supposed to believe that every other guard was corrupt & didn't do anything? Wouldn't the body smell pretty bad in a cramped prison which you would think would be a warm place after a day or so? Surely the stench must have been unbearable for everybody?

Also if you had a prison officer trying to enter her cell illegally & she told you she had information pertaining to the vanishing & suspected murder of jail officer would you just leave her alone in her cell, or would you not take her to the governor & get her moved/protection put in place while she spilled the beans?

This superior of hers was supposed to be standing trial in 1991 but there are no reports I can find of her actually doing so. To believe Thompson's story you have to believe that every guard & inmate were happy to smell a rotting corpse for three days, that a coroner was somehow intimidated into going along with it & that Thompson felt no need to go over the Lieutenants head despite what she had been told & seen. She comes across more as a bitter ex employee with axes to grind.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #50
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Not really buying Thompson's story-a dead body sits in a cell for three days & she did nothing after the promise by the nurses to take care of it didn't happen? Wouldn't she report it to the governor? Are we supposed to believe that every other guard was corrupt & didn't do anything? Wouldn't the body smell pretty bad in a cramped prison which you would think would be a warm place after a day or so? Surely the stench must have been unbearable for everybody?

Also if you had a prison officer trying to enter her cell illegally & she told you she had information pertaining to the vanishing & suspected murder of jail officer would you just leave her alone in her cell, or would you not take her to the governor & get her moved/protection put in place while she spilled the beans?

This superior of hers was supposed to be standing trial in 1991 but there are no reports I can find of her actually doing so. To believe Thompson's story you have to believe that every guard & inmate were happy to smell a rotting corpse for three days, that a coroner was somehow intimidated into going along with it & that Thompson felt no need to go over the Lieutenants head despite what she had been told & seen. She comes across more as a bitter ex employee with axes to grind.
So I've often wondered about precisely what you brought up here, i.e., the smell of a decomposing body and what little attention it seemed to attract given only what we know from the segment.

After working in a hospital for a few years now, I can tell you it doesn't take incredibly long for a body to begin to give off odor, and that's even in a morgue freezer. It would absolutely be present at three days, especially in an environment in which the climate wasn't optimally controlled to slow the rate of decomposition. Prisons are almost certainly places full of foul odors, but I'm certain that one would've provoked numerous complaints from inmates, and officers (presumably those "not in on" the alleged conspiracy) would've searched to locate the source.

Thompson's apparent failure to notify the warden, governor, or other ranking official isn't as striking to me--there may be a myriad of reasonable explanations, many of them probably centering around feeling intimidated, that might be sufficient.

But the story about Terri's body being left in the cell I have trouble with. I'll give her that it may be true that it was left in there for some time after death, perhaps even several hours, but I just cannot accept that it was there for three days without it being noticed en masse by the people occupying that building.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #51
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
So I've often wondered about precisely what you brought up here, i.e., the smell of a decomposing body and what little attention it seemed to attract given only what we know from the segment.

After working in a hospital for a few years now, I can tell you it doesn't take incredibly long for a body to begin to give off odor, and that's even in a morgue freezer. It would absolutely be present at three days, especially in an environment in which the climate wasn't optimally controlled to slow the rate of decomposition. Prisons are almost certainly places full of foul odors, but I'm certain that one would've provoked numerous complaints from inmates, and officers (presumably those "not in on" the alleged conspiracy) would've searched to locate the source.

Thompson's apparent failure to notify the warden, governor, or other ranking official isn't as striking to me--there may be a myriad of reasonable explanations, many of them probably centering around feeling intimidated, that might be sufficient.

But the story about Terri's body being left in the cell I have trouble with. I'll give her that it may be true that it was left in there for some time after death, perhaps even several hours, but I just cannot accept that it was there for three days without it being noticed en masse by the people occupying that building.
I can understand it in a way-but if it got to the point you were being told you couldn't leave the jail until you signed a false statement, or you were getting calls making threats on your life & it seems the Lieutenant is the one instigating it, then would you not go over their head to the governor or even further up the line if that bought no joy? Another thing I forgot to add to the post was don't most jails etc have unions & union reps you can go to?

I believe her story to an extent-in that there was likely bullying & intimidation & warders running rackets revolving around drugs & sex, but that seems to be common to a lot of jails. I like yourself just cannot buy a corpse being allowed to rot for three days with nobody doing anything, nor an independent coroner being intimidated into changing his official report-something for which he would almost certainly be fired for & prosecuted. In fact I don't see any reason why he would tell her or any other member of staff anything-when he had just made a cursory examination of the body. I think a certain amount of embellishment likely happened here-maybe the body wasn't taken away for a few hours, which then turns into a few days. Other than the bullet at her home there is little evidence to back up anything she said, would be interesting to know if they ever traced the bullet or bullets & whether she had a gun or not-is it possible she fired them herself?
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #52
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Another thing I forgot to add to the post was don't most jails etc have unions & union reps you can go to?
Like for the correctional officers? Hoo boy, not in my state, or really the southeastern U.S. in general. Not sure about California, although it seems like they'd be more likely to have something like that in place than we would here in Tennessee.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #53
drew790
Forum Regular

I don't believe Betty Thompson was intentionally shooting up her home or filing false police reports. There wasn't anything for her to gain out of falsifying anything, being a whistle blower would have meant the end of her career. This wasn't exactly an era when one would get famous for such things.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #54
MegtheEgg86

I think the issues at Frontera and Betty Thompson could be a hybrid of reality and embellishment on Thompson's part. Perhaps some of those things did happen just as she said, and perhaps some were exaggerated at best and fabricated at worst. Occasionally, people voicing legitimate concerns about a group or institution will engage in such behavior because they feel they aren't being listening to. Obviously this results in that subject losing credibility in the process. I think it's possible something similar could've happened with Thompson.

At this point I think I'll have to co-sign on the Rich disappearance being unrelated. I just don't see much evidence other than Terri Lucas claiming she had information about it, and unfortunately for an inmate, information can function as currency whether reliable or not. As she's deceased, it's virtually impossible to assess the situation much further in that regard.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #55
drew790
Forum Regular

I think there's still a potential for them to be connected, but could go either way. The bar and Frontera may have shared the same drugs source or been part of the same ring.

I just don't understand why an inmate would be name dropping Rich to someone who had nothing to do with her and wasn't looking into anything to do with her.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #56
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Isn't covering up a murder as "complications from diabetes" just laughable? Terry Lucas claimed to have knowledge of Jesslyn Rich's murder three years after her disappearance. What's more likely here? That her killer, although with no known connections with Frontera, would somehow tell someone who then directly or indirectly let it slip in front of Terry Lucas, or that this was just a case of an inmate throwing out "information" as a way to get better treatment from the guards?

And I don't want to pile on Betty Thompson, but I suppose it's also possible that she used Terry Lucas's death as further evidence of corruption going on at Frontera, and then threw in the line about her knowing information about Jesslyn Rich to make it seem more believable. I don't necessarily think it's likely, but I wouldn't call it improbable either.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #57
drew790
Forum Regular

So then if there was nothing to inform on who shot up her home? She couldn't very likely stand in her drive way and shoot the garage door, a neighbor could have seen it and blown the whole thing. She'd have had to arrange for someone to drive by shoot and miss her? Seems far fetched.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #58
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
So then if there was nothing to inform on who shot up her home? She couldn't very likely stand in her drive way and shoot the garage door, a neighbor could have seen it and blown the whole thing. She'd have had to arrange for someone to drive by shoot and miss her? Seems far fetched.
I wouldn't put it past her to have lied about that. Remember, Stack didn't say there was a police officer at her house on that night and the police weren't asked/interviewed about that - it came directly from her
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #59
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85 View Post
I wouldn't put it past her to have lied about that. Remember, Stack didn't say there was a police officer at her house on that night and the police weren't asked/interviewed about that - it came directly from her
I can't see that getting past their researchers though. Stack narrated the gunshot, she described the officer at her home and noting in his report the threatening phone call she received. If there was no report they would have found that out with relative ease.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #60
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
Who's to say it had anything to do with Frontera? Remember the bike shop where Chad Maurer worked at was shot up shortly after his disappearance and death, but it was later determined to have no connection with his case.