Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #31
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

I love Unsolved Mysteries but since this article was written in 1985 just 8/9 months after she vanished clearly UM producers and researchers had this information and choose to only use Marilyn's account which actually shifted my entire view on the case. In this article, Marilyn doesn't even mention Jesslyn looking fearfully at the door as someone came into the bar or even that Jesslyn said she "was going to the bathroom" but rather was headed in the direction of the bathroom. Unsolved left out the waitresses account (the one police thought was most credible) or the others who saw her leave out the backdoor. In any case they only presented Marilyn's account and it seems different in this article anyways. Um made it seem more dramatic. Even if they couldn't interview the waitress or others who saw her leave that night, they could have included it in the segment. It just makes it seem they wanted her disappearance to fit the Frontera segment to the point they left out details that could have made it seem it was something else entirely

For the record: I do believe Bettys account that Frontera was incredibly corrupt and that was based on many that testified. However, UM trying to make Jesslyns disappearance "fit" perfectly the Frontera angle is just slightly annoying. I get it from a TV show point of view but as for the actual case, I'm not a fan of that.

Last edited by LilMissKryssy; 06-02-2015 at 03:06 PM.
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #32
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissKryssy
For the record: I do believe Bettys account that Frontera was incredibly corrupt and that was based on many that testified. However, UM trying to make Jesslyns disappearance "fit" perfectly the Frontera angle is just slightly annoying. I get it from a TV show point of view but as for the actual case, I'm not a fan of that.
I agree.

And I cannot for the life of me understand why UM never included an "update" to this case where they state that the police know believe they know who killed Jesslyn and consider the case to be closed.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #33
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I agree.

And I cannot for the life of me understand why UM never included an "update" to this case where they state that the police know believe they know who killed Jesslyn and consider the case to be closed.

Didn't they have an update that bones fragments or bones were found in the desert that were finally identified as Jesslyn's? If I'm not mistaken though that turned out to be incorrect and it wasn't actually Jesslyns remains? I believe a family member of hers said that somewhere either on this board awhile back or somewhere online? UM never even updated that let alone that this other update.
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #34
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

This case reminds me a lot of the Michael Francke case in that you have two individuals working in prison systems who wind up dead. At first, their deaths appear to be suspicious and tied to their work, but later it's revealed their work had nothing to do with how they died.

One thing I don't understand is why Teri Lucas wasn't checked out closer. If Jesslyn was indeed killed by someone from (or at) that Country-Western bar and it had absolutely nothing to do with anyone/anything at Frontera, why would Lucas just randomly spout off about that?? Was she hoping to get attention/sympathy/leniency? Possibly wanting to get some of the allegedly corrupt staff in hot water? Or was Betty Thompson at fault, possibly mis-characterizing that whole part of things?

I know that guy who made the deathbed confession being dead now makes it hard, if not impossible to for definitive conclusions to be made, but in hindsight, the whole Frontera conspiracy angle seems a little too overwrought

(yeah, the place was corrupt to high heaven, but come on, someone didn't do enough due diligence here........)
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #35
drew790
Forum Regular

This is probably one of my favourite segments.

With regard to the "differences" in Ault's UM and news paper interview, it's important to remember that both are ultimately being edited for time and length. UM only had so many minutes to dedicate to the segment, and a news paper (especially in that era) would have only allocated so much physical space to a story so it was common for paragraphs to be cut to stay within that allocation. Both editorial teams may have felt they had what they needed without the other details. Neither version conflicts with the other, just have different details omitted. So I tend to go that route not that she was changing her story or that UM presented an inaccurate picture.

I don't get why Terry Lucas would be speaking about Jesslyn Rich if there wasn't some connection. It's not like Betty Thompson was investigating anything related to Jesslyn, it came up out of nowhere for her - twice by two people. Something must have been going on there for the entire incident resulting in people shooting at her. Even if she was killed by an employee at a bar, that doesn't necessarily eliminate him from the Frontera drug ring. Dive bars have their own drug issues, and depending how diverse the area is they might share suppliers.

What saddens me most in all of this is how Terry Lucas is a footnote in her own murder. UM framed the entire segment around seeking info for Jesslyn and from what little press coverage can be found these days they all focus on her. So whether Jesslyn was killed by a bar employee or in relation to Frontera ultimately everything Betty Thompson described and co-workers testified about is still very relevant to the death of Terry Lucas.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #36
drew790
Forum Regular

Also

"Police are now trying to determine whether body parts found in San Bernardino County in 1984 are the victim's remains."

Would those be the same body parts they eventually ruled were not hers, after initially saying they were? Cause if so that casts doubt on the rest.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #37
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790
This is probably one of my favourite segments.

With regard to the "differences" in Ault's UM and news paper interview, it's important to remember that both are ultimately being edited for time and length. UM only had so many minutes to dedicate to the segment, and a news paper (especially in that era) would have only allocated so much physical space to a story so it was common for paragraphs to be cut to stay within that allocation. Both editorial teams may have felt they had what they needed without the other details. Neither version conflicts with the other, just have different details omitted. So I tend to go that route not that she was changing her story or that UM presented an inaccurate picture.

I don't get why Terry Lucas would be speaking about Jesslyn Rich if there wasn't some connection. It's not like Betty Thompson was investigating anything related to Jesslyn, it came up out of nowhere for her - twice by two people. Something must have been going on there for the entire incident resulting in people shooting at her. Even if she was killed by an employee at a bar, that doesn't necessarily eliminate him from the Frontera drug ring. Dive bars have their own drug issues, and depending how diverse the area is they might share suppliers.

What saddens me most in all of this is how Terry Lucas is a footnote in her own murder. UM framed the entire segment around seeking info for Jesslyn and from what little press coverage can be found these days they all focus on her. So whether Jesslyn was killed by a bar employee or in relation to Frontera ultimately everything Betty Thompson described and co-workers testified about is still very relevant to the death of Terry Lucas.
This is all thin......but in the segment, while they were recounting the night out at the bar, they mentioned a look of fright coming over Jesslyn as she glanced towards the front door. From here, there are a two different paths you could take (both of which would give Terri Lucas reason to say what she did to Betty Thompson).

-She saw someone from Frontera, possibly the same person alluded to in the note she wrote (that her brother later found ripped up in the trash - who would have an inmate or someone 'take care of' whoever interfered in his illicit activities). This person could've also been the one Marilyn Ault saw out of the corner of her eye.

-An employee or employees at the bar were involved or at least acquainted with one or more corrupt elements from Frontera (whether it be through drugs or something else). One of these Frontera folks could've arrived and simply by doing so, served as a signal to an associated bar employee to make a move on Jesslyn.

Either way, if one were to assume that Ault's recollection of Jesslyn getting spooked is true (and not the byproduct of a slightly buzzed imagination), then I would think the only people at that time who could spook her so, would be the ones she was suspicious of at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790
Also

"Police are now trying to determine whether body parts found in San Bernardino County in 1984 are the victim's remains."

Would those be the same body parts they eventually ruled were not hers, after initially saying they were? Cause if so that casts doubt on the rest.
I read the update at the bottom on the UM wiki and IMO, I think those would indeed be the same body parts (that DNA tests said weren't from Jesslyn)

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Jesslyn_Rich
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #38
drew790
Forum Regular

It's also not unheard of for police and guards to run in the same circles, and even transition between jobs. So if there was a massive drugs conspiracy underway then they may be protecting the guards and using a dead man as an easy scapegoat.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #39
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

This comment was posted over at unsolved.com and it's pretty interesting:

Quote:
It is amazing how this continues to grow feet and fuel the theory of conspiracy. In 2005, the FBI closed this case because the man they suspected of killing Rich passed away. They had him under surveillance for years but never could get enough on him to convict him. The FBI revealed to us that they found a hand in the desert they suspected of being Rich’s and confirmed she left the bar with this man. The man was not a prison employee nor was he affiliated with the prison in anyway. As far as Ms Thompson was concerned, the FBI discredited her story because of two glaring flaws: 1) she could not state the name of one supervisor or co-worker she reported her “findings” to and 2) since she only worked the hospital (infirmary clinic) one day she had no knowledge of how long Lucas was deceased. As followed this case, we found that an inmate claimed to have been forced to change reports but in reality testimony revealed this inmate oftentimes had staff (stupid) sign a blank sheet of paper where they signature would normally appear, and she typed up their story as she saw fit – all because the staff were too lazy to stay and complete their reports or too dumb to write clearly. Later, a forensic TV show (Unsolved Mysteries I believe) reported on everything I have said. Ms. Thompson got her stress retirement, the inmate got her transfer and release, the accused Lieutenant took a plea deal to avoid a trial and was basically exonerated anyway.
Interesting if true. And calls into question some of what Betty Thompson was alleging.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #40
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
This comment was posted over at unsolved.com and it's pretty interesting:

The FBI revealed to us that they found a hand in the desert they suspected of being Rich’s and confirmed she left the bar with this man.

Interesting if true. And calls into question some of what Betty Thompson was alleging.
They suspected it, but they never confirmed it? I wonder when they found it. Seems they should have been able to extract DNA at the very least, unless it was severely burned or whatever, and the DNA destroyed. Interesting either way...
Old 01-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #41
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Link to a discussion about this hand/body part being found, by Jesslyn's daughter:

Quote:
My name is Leslie Grace. My maiden name is Rich. Jesslyn Rich is my Mother. I had to respond to your post because the ending is not true. The body parts found in San Bernardino, California were never identified. There were 3 or 4 body parts found. One of them was a forearm with the hand attached and another was the bottom part of someone's leg (cut off from the knee down) My Mother's shoe size was not the same as the size of whoever's foot that was and the fingerprints from the hand were not a match to my Mother's. The remains were never IDed. I have recently given my DNA to the police for an investigation involving these body parts. They are using my DNA to disprove that the parts belong to my Mother. Feel free to write to me if you like.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #42
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Link to a discussion about this hand/body part being found, by Jesslyn's daughter:

The partial remains found were legs and a foot. They were never compaired with DNA as the coroners office in San Bernardino stated,(to the press) that they destroyed the remains as they were not a repository for all the remains found in the desert! Her case is still listed with the DOJ as a missing person.

The final comment in the discussion. If this is true, and they destroyed them without getting any kind of samples, then that is some stunningly crappy police work. It makes you wonder how many missing persons cases could've at least been updated if only the department actually...I dunno....did their job? If they come across THAT many bones that they complain they're not a repository for all the remains found in the desert, then it stands to reason there might be a great deal of bodies not being identified that COULD potentially be...
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #43
Arnold_OldSchool
Forum Regular

I was pretty surprised to see no update on Amazon after finding the updates via google.
Arnold_OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #44
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell83
The partial remains found were legs and a foot. They were never compaired with DNA as the coroners office in San Bernardino stated,(to the press) that they destroyed the remains as they were not a repository for all the remains found in the desert! Her case is still listed with the DOJ as a missing person.

The final comment in the discussion. If this is true, and they destroyed them without getting any kind of samples, then that is some stunningly crappy police work. It makes you wonder how many missing persons cases could've at least been updated if only the department actually...I dunno....did their job? If they come across THAT many bones that they complain they're not a repository for all the remains found in the desert, then it stands to reason there might be a great deal of bodies not being identified that COULD potentially be...
Agreed. Totally mind boggling how they could make such a stupid and short sighted decision.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #45
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I think Jesslyn Rich's disappearance and murder had nothing to do with Frontera, and that Terri Lucas's claims could not be verified and that she more likely than not died of a medical condition and was not murdered. I don't doubt the corruption that went on at the prison, but I don't think it had anything to do with either of their deaths.